Start by marking “Shadowsong (Wintersong, #2)” as Want to Read:
Shadowsong (Wintersong, #2)

Shadowsong

(Wintersong #2)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  4,785 ratings  ·  1,113 reviews
Six months after the end of Wintersong, Liesl is working toward furthering both her brother's and her own musical careers. Although she is determined to look forward and not behind, life in the world above is not as easy as Liesl had hoped. Her younger brother Josef is cold, distant, and withdrawn, while Liesl can't forget the austere young man she left beneath the earth, ...more
Published January 30th 2018 by Titan Books Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Shadowsong, please sign up.
Marla Hunter I'm going to get the first book tomorrow (cross my fingers) at Barnes and Noble. I came home to an Advance Reader Copy of Shadowsong at my door step.…moreI'm going to get the first book tomorrow (cross my fingers) at Barnes and Noble. I came home to an Advance Reader Copy of Shadowsong at my door step. S. Jae-Jones includes an author's note that Shadowsong is far more personal than Wintersong. It seems Shadowsong will be much darker than Wintersong.(less)

·  4,785 ratings  ·  1,113 reviews

Sana
Friend: Hey what's worse than being a living, breathing disappointment?
Me: this book

not really, but it's pretty damn close

Every time I think of this book and how I spent an entire painful month reading this makes me want to dig a hole and bury myself alive in there because wow!!!! look at all those 744 hours (24 hours times 31 days) I spent in pure boring agony!!!!

Y'all know your girl here was damn hyped up for this book considering I am an actual trashcan for the first book so just fucking IMA
Chelsea Humphrey
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Sol ~ TheBookishKing
HAPPY PUB DAY!!

"I can only live, either altogether with you or not at all."
-Ludwig Van Beethoven, The Immortal Beloved Letters

Whatever your opinion may be of this book, know that this is an honest review and in no way coerced as I wasn't the biggest fan of Wintersong. Obviously it resonated with me enough, because I jumped on the chance to review an early copy of Shadowsong; looking back in hindsight I think most of my issues previously were due to the book being inappropriately marketed (at th
may ❀
Full review posted:

This book made me feel so many things, most of all sadness bc the stories of Lisel and the Goblin King and Josef and Kathe are over and my heart hurts. (ಥ﹏ಥ)

description
Madness runs in her bloodline

- Now in relation to Wintersong, Shadowsong is like a distant cousin
- The writing is absolutely fantastic. Jae-Jones knows how to put you in a trance with her writing, no doubt about that
- She’s created the most amazing world. I absolutely adore the german-inspired setting
- But opposed to W
Samantha
Jan 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

I wanted to like this. I really did. Wintersong had some problems, such as pacing issues and a lack of consistency in character personalities and motivations, but I ultimately ended up enjoying the relationship between the protagonist and the Goblin King.

This had not only the issues of the first book, but suffered from a lack of plot that was filled in with overly verbose descriptions to fill the pages. The relationships built in the first book were either drastically changed, almost
Alana • thebookishchick
“For love is our only immortality, and when memory is faded and gone, it is our legacies that endure.”

Someone please send help. I'm just a ball of emotions after finishing this.
I just want to cry and cry and CRY at how perfect this sequel was.

I think it's pretty cool that I started off 2017 with my favorite book of the year, Wintersong, and now I'm also finishing the year with another favorite book, Shadowsong. And they just so happen to be both books in a duology. Please don't make me choose w
Emer (A Little Haze)
The other day on Instagram author S. Jae-Jones uploaded this image to her Instagram stories previewing the author's note from this book.

And I gotta say RESPECT!

She's actually giving trigger warnings for her own book.
Fantastic JJ!!!
It's so important for people to be aware of any potentially triggering situations they may read about in a book and for an author to come right out and flag this herself is brilliant.

So content warnings according to the author's note are as follows:
Self-harm
Addict
Ellie
1 star

I received a copy of this novel in exchange for a review. This does not affect my rating in any way.

I guess I should say I'm at least thankful I didn't "dnf" this, since I was tempted to. And yet, I'm still disappointed. Quite. I mean, I didn't enjoy Wintersong too much either. I had given it 2.75 stars a few months back. But, still. I had expected more. A lot more.

Sometimes the second book in a series will surprise you, and that's what I was hoping for with this one, which is why I was th
Maggie
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1/18

So I came home to find Shadowsong waiting for me in the mailbox and ya girl damn near died. Thank you to the amazing people at Wednesday Books for sending me this, I am so incredibly grateful. I was dying after reading Wintersong and the wait was torture. But you guys it was worth it.

Shadowsong was everything I wanted in the sequel and more. I feel like I might start crying just thinking about it. The story, the pace, the character development, the love of my life goblin king (finding out ab
Joshee Kun (조수아)
For your music was the first and only thing in this world that kept me human, the first and last thing I give back to you. —Josef

This year, it seems that I'm becoming familiar with the disappointment that comes with unmet expectations. I loved Wintersong because of its lush, musical content, so I was super excited to get my hands on Shadowsong. I am sorry to say that this is my second 2-star read of 2018.

Objectively speaking, I think that many people will cherish or resonate with this book, esp
☆High Lady of The Night Court☆
This book was the ending this duology so desperately needed.

I’m not yet sure whether my questions or answered or if my question were even valid in the first place. At some point, during the course of these books it stopped being about the facts, the plot, and the world but about the people, the emotions, and the story. The emotions surrounding this book are so susceptible and of such wild variety it can only be described as either chaos or complete silence.

Yes, these books were not perfect and
megs_bookrack
Dark and lyrical, Shadowsong, brings to a conclusion the story of Liesl and her Goblin King.

This second book in the duology picks up a few months after the conclusion of Wintersong. This is a tough book to describe and I definitely don't feel it is for everyone. I love Jae-Jones writing style but can definitely see how others may find it off-putting.

She has a way of weaving together an eerie tale where you struggle to piece together reality versus unreality.

Liesl is not a likable character but
Candace Robinson
Goblin King, Goblin King, wherefore art thou Goblin King? Apparently not much in this book. 😭

Now I will say Jae-Jones has some of the most beautiful writing I have ever read.
Caitlin
Apr 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars
3.5

I was really excited for this book and I think that ruined this book for me. I was so hyped and I just feel a lil let down. The conclusion was everything I wanted and the last 50 pages were perfect. However, the first 300 pages were slow, boring and honestly nothing I enjoyed happened. If the last 50 pages were the entire book (obviously an expanded version of it) then I would’ve given it a 5/5. I had such high expectations for this book. I knew what I wanted and I really didn’t get it. I fo
Ishmeen
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THIS WAS BEAUTIFUL AND I NEED A MOMENT TO GATHER MY EMOTIONS BECAUSE I AM NOT PREPARED FOR THE REALISATION TO HIT THAT THIS STORY IS OVER -

RTC
Stacee

I’m not really sure how to feel about this one, but I think if I reread it again when it’s a physical copy, my rating will change. The formatting of my e-arc is jumbled and full sentences are displaced and the chapter headings didn’t make sense. It made it difficult to follow along at times.

First off, the thing I loved most about Wintersong was Liesl and the Goblin King together. The tension and their chemistry were fantastic. All of that is missing from this story because they are sep
✶Rachelle✶
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2018, fantasy, arc
5 stars

***I received an ARC in return for my honest review**

Yeah I devoured this basically haha. I LOVED IT! So great =) Thanks again to Wednesday Books for sending me a copy!

There are some mature themes in the book, and the author put a note in the front talking about it. I really appreciated her being open and vulnerable. It allowed me to connect with the characters on an even deeper level knowing how personal it was to the author.

These are my initial thoughts. More to come once I've processe
el
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[spoiler free] 4.5s
This is its own little universe; pull back the curtain, step inside and disappear from reality for a little while.
"What are monsters but mortals corrupted?"

There is such an atmosphere to this. Her writing is magical, it's melodic; each word, each sentence threaded into the next seamlessly.
Liesl talks so much of telling a story within her music and this book feels like that inverted, like a melody is playing within its pages; flowing and graceful and gorgeous.
It's not a ver
Beatrice in Bookland
”Once there was a little girl who played her music for a little boy in the woods. She was an innkeeper’s daughter and he was the Lord of Mischief, but neither were wholly what they seemed, for nothing is as simple as a fairy tale.”

1) Wintersong ★★★★

So disappointing, SO DISAPPOINTING

The book started off well, the atmosphere was as good as Wintersong’s and I felt in tune with both Liesl and the story. But then I kept reading and reading and reading and n o t h i n g happened.
Like, this is an almos
Faye*
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is even harder to review than its predecessor. It is dark and eerie, unsettling and confusing, but also very, very slow.

Before picking this book up, I heard that a) it was by far not as good as Wintersong; and b) that big parts would take place not in the Underground but in our real world. I was disappointed but I still wanted to give Shadowsong a fair chance. So, while I did buy this book immediately when it came out (which is very rare for me), I gave it another 2-3 months before fi
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
Wintersong is one of my favorite books of all time, so to say I was excited to read Shadowsong is a bit of an understatement. That is why it hurts my heart to say that this book was a disappointment. There were things that I did enjoy in this story, but overall, it was a letdown.

In the beginning of the book, the author included a trigger warning for things like suicidal thoughts, addiction, self-harm, and bipolar disorder. These issues are very important topics that should be discussed more freq
Amy Leigh
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
A dark and maddening conclusion to the Wintersong duology. This book is very different from the previous one. Leisl is on a journey of finding who she is and dealing with the loss of her love. She promised to go on in life but has to figure out how to do that. Her brother sends word for her to come to Vienna where he is pursuing his musical career but this letter is unlike him. Yet she and her family do leave to join him and nothing is what they expected.

This story deals heavily with mental ill
Hollis
Love is our only immortality, and when memory is faded and gone, it is our legacies that endure.

I'm sitting here ten minutes after finishing SHADOWSONG and I'm still wiping away the occasional tear. This book, for all that it's a sequel (and an end) to it's predecessor, feels almost nothing like WINTERSONG -- and for this reader that worked perfectly.

"Life is not the body, but the soul."

Where book one of this duology was lyrical and flowery, this second book feels more grounded in reality, in th
*Thea 'Wookiee'sMama' Wilson*
So disappointed in this book, it truly lacked every element that made the first book so fantastic. This sequel seemed to be just about Liesl dealing with her madness, there was barely a glimpse of the wonderful underground world of the Goblin King, that that made book one special for me. Liesl and her austere young man had a wonderful and intense relationship in that book that was augmented by the quirky surroundings, the fabulous mythology and whimsical characters of the Goblin world in book on ...more
Alyssa
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-releases
Ehhh, not my thing. Full thoughts posted on my blog 02/12.

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Shadowsong by S. Jae-Jones
Book Two of the Wintersong series
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Publication Date: February 6, 2018
Rating: 2 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

Summary (from Goodreads):

Six months after the end of Wintersong, Liesl is working toward furthering both her brother’s and her own musical careers. Although she is determined to look forward and not behind, life in the world above
Courtney
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of: Wintersong, dark YA fantasy, duologies
Recommended to Courtney by: Netgalley
"For love is our only immortality, and when memory is faded and gone, it is our legacies that endure."

Shadowsong is the finale book of S. Jae-Jones' Wintersong duology . This is a dark fantasy story inspired by Christina Rossetti's Goblin Market poem (which S. Jae-Jones inspired me to read and I love it!) and also the movie Labyrinth. The author does put a trigger warning at the start of the book - there are some dark topics involved, so read with caution.

I like how the story was concluded
Alaina
I'm really torn between giving this 3 or 4 stars right now - so let's go with 3.5 then.

Shadowsong had a ton of twists, turns, and interesting scenes in this book. However, it also had a ton of boring shit in it. The beginning started off so freaking slow and then it sort of picked up about half way through... THEN it really picked up within the last 100 pages or so.

Shadowsong picks up right when Wintersong sort of left off. She get's a letter from her brother asking her to come to Vienna to brin
kazually
dnf at page 25

i read the first book a long while back and all i remember is that i was really confused and bored which was basically what i felt in the beginning of this book.
Sepani
3.5 stars.

The sequel of wintersong is great but when compared with the first, I felt disappointed about the story line. I was hoping more about the relationship between the goblin king and liesl, instead this story conveyed about the siblings love. That’s okay. I don’t really feel interested about love relationships all the time.

And the ending seems to be fast-paced.

The most interesting part of the story was when the writer conveys about Der Elkonig’s past. That was well written of course.

In my
Janani(ஜனனி)
What is the point of having this sequel?

Error 404.

It's utterly ridiculous. I mean everything was just thrown, so that the sequel could be worshipped like the first one? BOO, it doesn't end well.

And my Goblin King was left somewhere deep between the pages where I couldn't find him until the last two to three pages? WHAT IS THIS FUCKERY? Give me my Goblin King.

Disappointed is the understatement of the year.

Bye.
lolo'
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy Goblin King....

I know his name guys. I KNOW HIS NAME.

I'm crrrrryyyyyyyingggggggg.

So first of all thank you SO VERY MUCHHHHH TO THE PLUBLISHER FOR SENDING THIS BOOK MY WAY *cries gratefully*

And I can't say much considering we still have a month left for it to come out.

But wow this book blew my mind. I thought Wintersong was amazing nonono SHADOWSONG IS SPECTACULAR.

The writing just gets you right in your feels. And the way it all ties in with music and it's honestly a melodic type of wr
YA Buddy Readers'...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Looking for a reading buddy for Shadowsong! 1 8 May 27, 2018 07:18PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Shadowsong by S. Jae-Jones -> Starting April 11th, 2018 17 16 Apr 27, 2018 11:49PM
Addicted to YA: Shadowsong 2 68 Mar 06, 2018 12:47PM

• Incendiary
  • Given to the Earth (Given Duet, #2)
  • The Lost Codex (The Collectors' Society, #4)
  • The Selkie Sorceress (Seal Island Trilogy #3)
  • Winter War Awakening (Blood Rose Rebelion #3)
  • Ink, Iron, and Glass (Ink, Iron, and Glass, #1)
  • Barefoot on the Wind (The Moonlit Lands, #2)
  • Girl Wife Prisoner (Girl Wife Prisoner, #1)
  • The Girl Without Magic (Chronicles of Maggie Trent, #1)
  • Cleo (Cleo #1)
  • A Life Earthbound (Dryad Quartet #3)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • Whisper of the Tide (Song of the Current, #2)
  • Pretty Dark Sacrifice (Pretty Dark Nothing, #2)
  • Echo North
  • The Epic Crush of Genie Lo (The Epic Crush of Genie Lo #1)
  • Within the Realm (The Gifted Realm, #1)
  • Defy the Fates (Constellation, #3)
S. Jae-Jones, called JJ, is an artist, an adrenaline junkie, and the NYT bestselling author of Wintersong.

Born and raised in sunny Los Angeles, she lived in New York City for ten years before relocating down to Dixie, where she is comfortably growing fat on grits and barbecue. When not writing, she can be found rock-climbing, skydiving, taking photographs, drawing pictures, and dragging her dog on

Wintersong (2 books)
  • Wintersong (Wintersong, #1)
“It isn’t life that keeps the world turning; it is love.” 19 likes
“You can be running toward something or running from something, but you cannot do both at once,” she said gently.
But my sister did not laugh, “Ah,” she said softly, “but what’s the use of running” – she lifted her eyes to mine – “if you are on the wrong road.”
15 likes