Start by marking “You Must Not Miss” as Want to Read:
You Must Not Miss

You Must Not Miss

Magpie Lewis started writing in her yellow notebook the day her family self-destructed. That was the night Eryn, Magpie's sister, skipped town and left her to fend for herself. That was the night of Brandon Phipp's party.

Now, Magpie is called a slut whenever she walks down the hallways of her high school, her former best friend won't speak to her, and she spends her lunch
Published April 23rd 2019 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about You Must Not Miss, please sign up.

Start your review of You Must Not Miss
Melanie

ARC given to me by my amazingly kind friend - Kayla! at Books & Blends!

“You felt so deeply, and for so long, that your very sadness grew limbs and walked away from you. You have moved mountains, Magpie Lewis, and you are only just getting started.”

Katrina Leno is truly a gift to this world, and I’m not sure what the world has done to deserve her, her words, or her stories, but I’m forever thankful. You Must Not Miss is a masterful expose on rape culture and the things that everyone i
megs_bookrack
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**4.5-stars rounded up**

I think about this book ALL THE TIME. It has eaten into my brain like a worm.

You Must not Miss is truly a unique and disturbing tale, and it just so happens, unique and disturbing are two of my favorite things.

Now comes my plea: Y'all, please read this book!

If you are not sold on it simply by the fact that it is written by Katrina Leno, how about that it is one of the most darkly delightful YA stories I have ever read!?

This is literally a revenge thriller at its most biza
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was bizarre and strange and I have no idea how to even begin to write a review so just know that I REALLY, really liked it. If you’re someone who likes weird books that defy genres and don’t make a ton of sense (in a good way u feel me), read this book.

TW: sexual assault, adultery
Lala BooksandLala
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases
Katrina Leno's best. TBH I don't think this book is going to be for everyone, but oooh boy was it just my perfect taste. This book is odd and unsettling- Magpie is going through a ROUGH time in life, so she escapes to her own little world, and uses this opportunity to enact revenge on those who've wronged her. She was such a complex character, and I feel like as a reader you don't really know who you're rooting for or what you're hoping to happen in the end. Deliciously vicious.

Part of me does w
Nilufer Ozmekik
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maybe
Here comes: one slap for the money of the bullies!

Two slaps for the show of fake and mean friends who abandon you when the crisis hits the fan!

Three slaps for getting ready and slap more the neglecting parents including alcoholic mother, cheater father (with your wife’s sister, what a scumbag), selfish sister who leaves you alone to deal with the drama.

Four punches for the blue suede shoes for the abuser who drugs you at party and forces you to have sex with him and made the whole students call
Elle (ellexamines)
She hadn't meant it to be so honest, so prickling and sharp, but there it was. Prickling and sharp and oh so honest.

This is one of the weirdest books I’ve read this year… and also one of the most cathartic.

Fundamentally, You Must Not Miss is a story about the struggle for kindness in a world that wishes to crush the outsiders. While Magpie’s personal journey is of course the focus, a great deal of the book focuses on her struggle to be open and honest in her relationships with her cl
Jessica
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-novels
description

I received this book for free from The NOVL in exchange for an honest review.

Going into this book, I had no idea what to expect. But damn, this book was so unique and different that I ended up loving it.

When the book started, I wasn’t super into it since it started off like any other high school drama. There’s the bullied girl who befriends other outcasts, the mean girl, etc. To me it seemed to be going down a path that I’ve seen one too many times.

description

Then about halfway through, the magical realis
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
If you give a name to an impossible thing, does it make the impossible thing any less impossible?

This is a tough review to write, because I genuinely cannot remember the last time I had such mixed feelings about any singular book. There was a lot to love about You Must Not Miss, and a little bit that didn't work for me, and so much that I've yet to make up my mind about, even now, almost a month after finishing it. Yes, that's right, I've been sitting on this for a month in hopes of putting
Katrina Leno
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I enjoyed this book. I think the author is just doing her best, and that’s all anybody can do, right?
Rue
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
I think this line from the book says it all...
“Jesus, are you just around to spout cryptic nonsense while I try to get actual, useful things accomplished?”

c-Ozm-Uea-Ikfl-Cqg-Felj
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases
So so so good. That ending is one of the best I’ve read in ages.
Misster
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an absolute mind trip. Definitely a lot darker and more Stephen King-ish than I expected. It's just a shame this is the cover Magpie got.
Cesar
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars.

You Must Not Miss is a strange book to review. Not strange that it's bad, but strange that it could be a hit or miss with some people, even with the messages behind it.

At its core, You Must Not Miss is a magical realism story while also grappling with lies, escapism, and sexual assault. It's a difficult read, but one that challenges the world and how we as people cope with sadness and anger.

CW: Sexual assault.

You Must Not Miss is about Magpie Lewis, a sixteen-year-old girl who is going t
Julie Zantopoulos
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2020, own-it
Me over here like maybe this is the Katrina Leno I 5 star...

This started strong, it was well written and hard hitting and then it took a turn and I just...nope. I mean I hated where the book went so intensely that what could have been a strong 3 maybe even low 4 went straight to 2 category. A 3 for me is a book I really still enjoyed and this...well, it’s a 2.

I will give it to you for a fun bowling scene and diverse characters. Mags new group of friends are pretty fantastic but not enough to s
Amy Risner
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing

ARC provided by The NOVL in exchange for an honest review.

Wow, I truly didn’t think I was going to love this book so much. This was my first novel by Katrina Leno and I now want to real ALL her books, please!

This book was so quiet as it built up to one of the most satisfying endings I’ve ever read. And while You Must Not Miss is marketed as a contemporary, I’d like to say it very much has magical realism and subtle thriller elements. Because as we see the things that happen in Near? My heart was
Susana
3 stars

This book is about:

A teenage girl named Magpie who's going through a difficult time in her life as she's dealing with her father's cheating, her sister abandoning her, her best friend ignoring her and being called a slut in the hallways after Brandon Phipp's party. Now she spends her lunches with a group of misfits like herself.

But with her yellow notebook, Magpie is able to write about a perfect world called Near where she can get everything she wants... even revenge.

Things I Liked:

The
Kayla Brunson
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
“Your despair made Near. You felt so deeply, and for so long, that your very sadness grew limbs and walked away from you.”

What did I just read? Is this considered Magical Realism? The overall aspect of Near still confuses me. Despite confused, what I can’t deny is that Leno has a way with words. She has a way of weaving words together that hit you hard and make you think.

What I think was a downfall for me was the majority of the characters. Magpie, Allison, and her parents. Even her sister. I
Acqua
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
You Must Not Miss is a contemporary fantasy revenge story, and one of the most unique YA novels I've read in a while. Unfortunately, I'm individuating a pattern with me and Katrina Leno's novels: I really like their premises, fall in love with the first half, and then everything falls apart in the second one. It's true for this, and it was true for Summer of Salt as well.

I want to start by saying that You Must Not Miss is the kind of book that starts out slowly, very slowly, until suddenly every
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

I cannot stress this enough
...

WHAT?

----------

Full review can be found here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

**I received an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.**

Ah, magical realism.. how I am not a fan of you. I don’t know why I don’t jive with that genre but I often read it in the hopes that I find one that works for me. Unfortunately this was not one that worked for me.

This was a super, super quick read wi
MyTimeOutShelf
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Holy Crap that was trippy and crazy and unique! I loved it but this book won’t be for everyone. It’s super dark and the magical realism is strong and that’s exactly why I loved it!! I didn’t give it five stars because I would have liked a little more from the ending.
Crini
Feb 07, 2018 marked it as get-on-my-shelf-already
I'm just going to put this on my "favorites of 2019" shelf already because OF COURSE.
ellie
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-release
if i had to describe this book in one word, it would be “unsettling.”
Kristy
Magpie Lewis has been abandoned. Her father left. Then her sister, Eryn, too. Now it's just Magpie and her mom. Who truly isn't really present, as she drowns herself in booze and a haze of alcoholism. Magpie's sister left the same night as Brandon Phipps's party--after which Magpie's longtime friendship with Allison ended, and Magpie was branded a slut and left to be an outcast at school. So she starts writing in a yellow notebook, creating a world called Near. It's Magpie's magical place, where ...more
Kelsea
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5🌟

WOW! Katrina Leno really went dark for this one and I ATE IT UP! Set aside your entire afternoon to read this one, folks, ‘cause this is an addictive, bingeworthy book if ever one deserved the title.

The writing in this is everything. So atmospheric. So suspenseful. So perfectly suited to Magpie, our vengeful little heroine. Okay, so she’s not really a heroine. Not even really an anti-heroine. This is basically a villain backstory.

And hell, Katrina Leno pulls it OFF! I almost always hate vill
Jaye Berry
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, 2019, audiobook, ya
Uhhhh wat.

You Must Not Miss is about Magpie, a girl with a rough life who seeks escape writing in a notebook of a world of her own making, called Near. In her world, everything is perfect- her father didn't cheat on her mother (with her aunt), her sister didn't leave, and her mother isn't a blackout alcoholic. While Magpie can have the perfect life, she can also have the perfect revenge against those who have wronged her.

Oh man, I just don't know?? While I love the idea of this book, the executi
Molly
Guys get this on your 2019 TBR because YOU MUST NOT MISS is a book you... must not miss. Magpie is an anti-heroine and you will love to hate her. She doesn't care about doing the right thing, and she doesn't hide her dark thoughts at all. Jesus, she would think and do some things (and DOES some things...) that were just... damn girl.

If you've read any of Katrain's previous books I'd say this is closer in writing style/ tone to THE HALF-LIFE OF MOLLY PIERCE. I really love how unapologetically Ka
Sana
'The beat of her heart sounded to her like a steady drum of fuck fuck fuck fuck.'

THAT WAS SOME ENDING. You'd think I would be used to Leno's endings by now and yet, here I am completely nonplussed and deep in thought about it all

You Must Not Miss is easily closest in style to The Half of Molly Pierce but it's also Leno's darkest yet and I loved that. It basically reads like an anti-heroine's origin story because Magpie is as blunt in her thoughts as one can be and I was pretty much just waiting
Stephanie
2.5* review to come

Blog | YouTube | Instagram

This book started off incredibly strong – I was immediately intrigued by what had happened to Magpie with her friends and her family. I also felt such intense heartbreak for the abandonment that she faced especially from her own family. Her sister as well as her dad and mom both let her down – either emotionally or physically. It was so hard to read about her intense loneliness as well as how it affected her in school among her peers and teachers.

How
Mugdha
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
What kind of book is this?
What did I gain from it? Nothing absolutely nothing.
There is zero MC development. Zero. Big fat zero.
Izzy
Trigger Warnings: Alcohol abuse, sexual assault, suicide and adultery

I was very disappointed with this book but I’m more sad than anything. I have been in a massive slump since February, and when this book arrived, I was very excited to read it.
During the first half of the book, this was a 5 star read for me, and I even thought it might be one of my favourite books of this year. However, the last half went down hill and my rating dropped to 3 stars.

At first, I really enjoyed the writing style.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• En chemin (Promesse tenue, #1)
  • Girls on the Verge
  • Sur la route (Promesse tenue, #2)
  • The Last True Poets of the Sea
  • Burn Our Bodies Down
  • Birthday
  • Wilder Girls
  • Be Not Far from Me
  • Souffle contre souffle (Plonge avec moi, #1)
  • Mis à la casse (Scrap Metal, #1)
  • All the Bad Apples
  • Don't Date Rosa Santos
  • The Kingdom
  • I Love You So Mochi
  • Girls with Sharp Sticks (Girls with Sharp Sticks, #1)
  • Out of Place