Start by marking “Fourteen Minutes: The Last Voyage of the Empress of Ireland” as Want to Read:
Fourteen Minutes: The Last Voyage of the Empress of Ireland

Fourteen Minutes: The Last Voyage of the Empress of Ireland

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  29 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
239 pages
Published 1978 by Michael Joseph

To ask other readers questions about Fourteen Minutes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fourteen Minutes

Nick Guzan
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This was an amazingly researched and excellently written account of this underreported tragedy. Tense moments are described with the gravity of a pulse-pounding thriller, aided by James Croall's balance of narrative sensibility and depth of knowledge gained from his naval background. I've rarely been in such suspense reading a piece of nonfiction writing, let alone nonfiction about a story I'm already pretty familiar with. In fact, the ex-Royal Navy Croall seems to take a special interest i ...more
MeriBeth
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
The tragic loss of the Canadian Railway Steamship Empress of Ireland is often lost to history and historic memory for the simple fact that it was lost between two other great tragedies, the wreck of the RMS Titanic and the sinking of the Lusitania. Yet, their was a greater loss of life in the sinking of the Empress than in the Titanic. Mr. Croall's book is one of only two that I've been able to find about the Empress of Ireland sinking. Both books suffer from the lack of interest in the story of ...more
Patrick Matte
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
C'est une réédition d'un livre publié en 1978, le premier livre racontant l'histoire du naufrage de l'Empress of Ireland, paquebot disparu près de Rimouski en 1914 et tuant 1012 personnes. C'est le 2e naufrage parmi les 3 plus importants du siècle, tous arrivés en l'espace de 3 ans à cette époque : le Titanic (1912), l'Empress of Ireland (1914) et le Lusitania (1915).

J'ai trouvé ce livre lors d'une visite au Musée maritime du Québec. Très content de ma lecture. James Croall réussi à raconter l'h
Elizabeth
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many years ago I read this book aloud to my children as we travelled the St. Lawrence Seaway. The book recounts an important part of Canadian history. More lives were lost in the sinking of RMS Empress of Ireland than in the sinking of the Titanic but it was overshadowed by the June 19 mining disaster and the August 4 declaration of WWI.
Scubacat
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a good account of the Empress of Ireland shipwreck. It reads a bit dry but I still learned things about this tragedy that made it interesting to read. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in shipwrecks and/or the Empress of Ireland.
Laura JC
good account. Some photographs.
Small paperback, 1978.
John
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
A tragedy at sea on the magnitude of the Titanic disaster
Esther
Steve
Apr 28, 2016
Tess Mowrey
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book because it told the full story of this sinking. One of the things that I liked was it showed how tragic this night was. It showed how quick and sad the sinking was. All of these people sleeping inside this beautiful ship as she sinks. Another thing that I liked was that the author showed the survivors' emotions as the ship rolled onto her beam ends and sank into the St. Lawrence River. I also liked that they showed the results of the public inquiry and its findings.
Liz