Start by marking “Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating” as Want to Read:
Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating

Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  782 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
In this book, you will find the latest information about how what you eat affects your health, the environment, and the existence of the animals who share this planet, along with in-depth discussions of ground-breaking work by these internationally respected experts: Heart specialist, Dean Ornish, M.D.; Nutrition scientist, T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D.; Weight loss expert, Ter ...more
Paperback, Revised, 224 pages
Published October 1st 2000 by McBooks Press (first published January 1st 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Vegan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegan

Nate
Jul 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Here we have the well poured ink on paper that begat my long journey along the rough and seldom climbed path of Veganism.
GoldmanCafe
Jun 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: foodandhealth
Excellent introduction to pursuing a vegan path.
Josepha
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in veganism
I got something from this book I didn't expect. I eat (ate, I should say) a high protein/medium fat vegan diet and was a junkfood vegan back in the day. I always thought the whole HCLF plantbased hype was just for obnoxious skinny girls like Freelee and that had nothing to it whatsoever. Since I live a vegan lifestyle only because of animal suffering I never really gave a second thought to the whole health aspects of veganism. I knew about the cholestorol thing, of course. The brief introduction ...more
Colleen
Jun 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: food
Interesting book...I thought some of the benefits attributed to a vegan diet were probably a little overblown, or at least were not put in perspective with other lifestyle choices (like exercise), but much of the info on post-industrial agro-business practices and the chapter on food borne pathogens seemed legit (and very scary).

It certainly makes you think twice about the sustainability of modern agricultural practices.
Tally
Apr 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, diet
So, not many vegans out there, and I myself no longer qualify, but it was a good read on diet and health and the whole meat/dairy-producing industry. Note: You will probably look like a pretentious-mightier-than-thou-hippy whilst reading this book; I recommend you do it in private or invest in a book cover!
Casey
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: anyone interested in becoming vegan/vegetarian, animal lovers
Recommended to Casey by: PETA
I read this book with the intent to educate myself on how food gets to my plate as well as how the farming industry treats animals in general.
I found a lot of the material disturbing and it did lead me to question the ethics of the way my family eats.
I'm not sure if everything in this book can be taken as Gospel, but it is a good read for those who are interested in changing their diet for health as well as humane reasons.
Natasha
Sep 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another great book for those curious about the vegan lifestyle or beginning their journey as a vegan. Great information and statistics, easy to read and engaging. Don't expect anything more than the basics, though. But for what it tries to do it definitely does successfully, covering all the bases of the benefits of veganism: animal rights, human health, environment.
Andrea Paterson
Covers all the issues, though might overstate some of the health benefits of veganism. Really great chapter on the environmental impact of cattle ranching, which is something none of the other books I've read have touched upon. Also some terrifying information about the earth's carrying capacity. This would be a good starting point for people exploring issues related to meat eating.
Zorn
Jun 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Discusses the ethical, economical, environmental and health reasons for why vegans choose their diets. I suggest you don't read if you don't plan on going vegan, because otherwise it is really tough to digest (no pun intended). Similar to visiting McDonalds right after watching Super Size Me.
Shana
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for anyone considering switching to a plant-based diet. I have been vegan for 10 years and learned a lot from this book!
Carrie
Aug 27, 2008 rated it liked it
It's been a while since I read this, but I think it was pretty good.
Michelle
Nov 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Wow, What a great book! It really made me think about how we vote with our dollars at the gorcery store and malls. I really enjoyed this book.
Angie
Jan 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
it will change the way you think
Eric
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
This is a great insight to the reality of the foods we eat, their affects on us, the environment and what we can do as individuals as well as a society change direction.
Marty
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A compelling book. Worth a read just to open your eyes.
Ashlee
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a vegan, I greatly enjoyed this book but, at the same time this book also broke my heart because it goes in depth of what goes on in diary farms, hen houses, etc. It also provides good insight on what switching to an all plant-based diet and living can do for our bodies and for the ecosystem :)
Adrienna
There were minimal parts I liked, and main foods to be considered a vegan lifestyle. The other parts via stories, testimonies, and food chain elements was a bore for me. Therefore, it was just an okay read but was able to scan through the book within 2 hours.
Noah McClintock
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Definitely recommended if you want to learn more about veganism. Great book.
Zineb Skarabi
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the awakening book.
Allison
Apr 06, 2010 rated it liked it
This book provided interesting insight on the health, environmental, and ethical benefits of going vegan. I've definitely learned that I don't need animal products as part of a healthy, well-balanced diet, which is contrary to everything most of us have ever been taught. I've been eating a mostly-meatless diet ever since I read Eating Animals, and this book is certainly enough to convince me to cut out eggs and dairy, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet. Maybe one day in the future. For now ...more
Kristen
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is divided into 3 sections:
1.) To Your Health- Includes health benefits of a vegan deit and health risks of a non-vegan diet, including a look at mad cow disease (v. interesting)

2.) The Truth About Food Animals- Most of this information is not new if you are familiar with practices of factory farms. That being said, MANY people (myself included until recently) did not know these facts. Told from the point of view of a great organization called Farm Sanctuary.

3.) Beyond the Dinner Table
Peacegal
May 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is an even-handed and agreeable book that explores the health and ethical motivations behind choosing a plant-based diet. I was pleased to see the author did not resort to hyperbole, as is sometimes the case with veg*n books. I was also relived to see Marcus explore certain issues that so many authors shy away from or ignore completely.

My only complaints are that the few photos were black-and-white and rather poorly reproduced, and that the author bolded certain phrases in the text seeming
Deborah Heffner
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
The book starts with good intentions. It does a few case studies on people who have improved their health through a vegan diet. Then the book starts on the path of how animals are raised, slaughtered, etc. If you have read Fastfood Nation this is not a big shock to hear about. I really think if the book had stuck to vegan case studies and maybe other topics instead of going down the path of animals being slaughtered, chickens being debeaked, pigs living in awful conditions and the raising of vea ...more
melissa
Apr 04, 2007 rated it liked it
I guess this is comparable to Fast Food Nation only the focus is on veganism instead of capitalism. (Maybe those are one in the same? I don't know.) Though I wholeheartedly agree with the message the book is still pretty dry and very fact-y. It's a good vegan resource and definitely worth reading if you're on the fence about whether or not to live animal-free. (duh, of course you should.) I'm still waiting for the final kick in the ass that will make me give up dairy.
Emelda
Dec 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
While I didn't go vegan until 2 years after I read it, I think this book was very important in my willingness to go vegan. He hits all the suspects: consuming animals' horrible destruction to the environment and human bodies; and, of course, animal rights. Because the animals ain't here for you to kill or use. For any reason.
Edward
Jul 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Kind of a newer, shorter (and better layed out) Diet for a New America. Presents some amazing facts regarding the suffering, unhealthiness, and pollution caused by a animal-centered diet. Oops, I actually haven't read this, the "revised edition", but I imagine it doesn't differ too much from the original.
Sharron
Sep 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Although not a vegan, yet, reading this book has helped me to continue with my committment. It's a sad commentary on humans that so many think they are above the other species that share this planet. If just one person would read this book and make some small changes, you don't have to become Vegan, it would save many lives.
Tara
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finito
Eye opening and completely re-affirmed my choice about eating vegan. I cried a bit while reading this, being the animal lover that I am, and I think that everyone who eats meat/dairy should read this and get a real perspective on where your food is coming from. You can even download the book and read it for free.
PJ
Jan 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
While much shorter and breezier than Diet for a New America, "Vegan" makes many of the same arguments in a fairly compelling way. Not my favorite book on the subject and not one that I really recommend to people, but I'm glad to have read it and glad that it's out there.
Lauren
Jul 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
Reactionary and disappointing, it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. It was written very aggressively and served as more of a primer to vegetarianism than veganism.

I was also hoping for recipes... my mistake, of course.
Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating 2 5 Aug 18, 2015 04:32PM
  • The Vegan Sourcebook
  • Living Among Meat Eaters: The Vegetarian's Survival Handbook
  • Vegan Freak: Being Vegan in a Non-Vegan World
  • The World Peace Diet: Eating for Spiritual Health and Social Harmony
  • Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant-Based Diet
  • Mad Cowboy: Plain Truth from the Cattle Rancher Who Won't Eat Meat
  • The Face on Your Plate: The Truth About Food
  • Slaughterhouse: The Shocking Story of Greed, Neglect, And Inhumane Treatment Inside the U.S. Meat Industry
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Living
  • Whitewash: The Disturbing Truth About Cow's Milk and Your Health
  • Breaking the Food Seduction: The Hidden Reasons Behind Food Cravings--And 7 Steps to End Them Naturally
  • Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals
  • The Case for Animal Rights
  • Diet for a New America: How Your Food Choices Affect Your Health, Happiness and the Future of Life on Earth
  • Animal Ingredients A to Z
  • Vegan for Life: Everything You Need to Know to Be Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
  • Dominion: The Power of Man, the Suffering of Animals, and the Call to Mercy