Start by marking “Baby-Sitters Club Boxed Set #1 (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1-4)” as Want to Read:
Baby-Sitters Club Boxed Set #1 (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1-4)

Baby-Sitters Club Boxed Set #1 (The Baby-Sitters Club #1-4)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  5,193 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
1. Kristy's Great Idea
2. Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls
3. The Truth About Stacey
4. Mary Anne Saves the Day
Boxed Set, 0 pages
Published September 1st 1995 by Scholastic Inc. (first published 1986)

Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
I'm not going to bother listing the whole series, but I read quite a few of them (maybe 30 or 40 of the--at the time--100 or so books)in second and third grade. By fourth grade I could feel myself starting to outgrow them, but kept reading because I just couldn't bring myself to let go of a series that I had once loved. In fifth grade, I tried to reread some of my favorites from the series and found myself thinking "God, this is stupid. What exactly did I like about these books?"

While I thorough
Mar 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: rated-as-a-kid
I preferred The Famous Five by Enid Blyton because I was a big, fat nerd. I do remember the books being repetitive and the girls, although having unique character traits, being rather unspectacular. Someone had diabetes, someone was a tomboy and there was the blonde californian girl who I either wanted to be, or had a crush on.

I think even back then, girly stuff made me a bit nauseous. I was never one of those girls that was like, "Oh my god, Howard is so sexy, look at him play football." (and
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I pretty much read all the Baby Sitters Club books when I was younger (middle school, mostly), including most of the mysteries, the super specials, and the movies (yes-there was a little known series of movies before the big blockbuster came out). I was a member of the fan club, and made my own kid kits for children I never babysat. I was a pretty huge fan, to say the least. Mostly a Dawn/Mallory fan, but loved them all.
Kara Roberts
Sep 14, 2011 rated it liked it
The best thing about this book is that there are sooo many books one could read if they liked this book. I would love to introduce this book to a middle school girl. I would know that she would love it and continue to read this series. This is a great book for those who are at a hogher reading lever than some transitional chapter books.

--Kristy, the tomboy! She disdains makeup and girly clothes, plays every sport and is good at all of them! Oh, and she has three brothers--that's w
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
I remember that my mom read a bunch of the Baby-Sitters Club books to me when I was a very young child, though I don't remember how many we read. If I recall correctly, we both enjoyed the early installments, but as the series went on, we both lost interest. For my mom, it was because she felt like the girls in the books started trying to grow up way too fast and were getting all boy-crazy and stuff. For me, I think I was either just plain growing out of the book, or maybe it got to the point wh ...more
Apr 17, 2007 rated it did not like it
Ann M. Martin's writing style:
Step One--Cut and paste first three chapters from previous novel, changing name of featured baby sitter as necessary.
Step Two--Copy plot from previous novel, changing name of featured baby sitter, and slightly tweaking the "conflict." If book 4 is about Kristy's struggle with braces, make book 5 be about Mallory's struggle with her curly hair.

The fun thing about Martin's writing is how she defies logic. In one story, Dawn buys a lottery ticket (though she's under 18
Feb 22, 2007 rated it it was ok
Oh my god, did I love these.

I wouldn't say they did very much for my vocabulary or literary ambition, however.
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book is amazing. It includes a lot of details.
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was really good. Highly recommend reading.
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This set includes the first four books in the series. Each book is told from the point of view of the four founding members of the club. The final book includes an extra chapter welcoming Dawn into the club.
Each book shows the growth of the club and the growing friendships between the members. Each girl grows in her own way and overcomes a few personal problems.
It was a good start to the rest of the series.
Jul 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, juvenile
I used to love this series so much. I went from being younger than the main characters to being older than they, and the series still hadn't ended. From time to time, I wondered if the girls would ever pass the eighth grade, and if perhaps Claudia wasn't the only dumb one. (Ann M. Martin would later answer the question in a sub-series that was mildly disappointing due to its realism.)

Stylistically speaking, BSC isn't the best. In spite of having different personalities, the girls all sound the s
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like this book because it tells a story about four girls planning a baby sitters club which is very interesting. They plan it and the club turnes out pretty succesfull.
Nov 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: popular-series
I read the books in this series when I was younger, and absolutely loved them. However, when I read them again this year, I was not very impressed. In spite of having different personalities, the girls all sound the same. I also have more problems with the series now that I realize the girls are only thirteen. I must also question the sanity of Stacey's and Dawn's mothers, who let their respective daughter get a perm and multiple piercings. This is not the type of parenting I have been exposed t ...more
Read many of the Babysitters Club series during my childhood/early adolescence, and although I have heard a bit of criticism regarding how poorly written and formulaic they are, I have no problem admitting, they brought me many happy hours of light fun reading. I got very caught up in the characters and their lives and always awaited the next installment in the series eagerly. I will enjoy giving the set (which I recently re-acquired) to my daughter in a few years time. She is currently enjoying ...more
Oct 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Ok I was a massive BSC fan. I think at one stage, I owned every single book. The first two chapters of each book was often skipped due to it being the same things rewritten. I was way younger than the characters when I began this series and even though I eventually out-aged them, I was still a fan. Some of the books were actually interesting and dealt with some issues such as the girl with anorexia, the bad girls that stole and drank alcohol and some other things I am sure.
All I know is that as
Mar 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
I started reading these in about 4th grade and read alot of them in no particular order. Any one I could get my hands on I would read. I remember my mom complaining because she would buy me one and I would have it read within hours and ready for a new one so I had to start getting them from the library. They were so innocent and good. I loved how all the girls were so different and I so wanted to be Stacey! But by the time I was in 7th/8th grade they were a little young and I couldn't understand ...more
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
Mar 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
The bsc series obviously had a profound impact on my life, seeing that i'm the treasurer of a club loosely modeled after them and i like to think of myself as mostly claudia with a touch of dawn and a little bit of mallory in me (just a little - i mean, i just don't like horses). If you want to read a more thorough analysis of this series, though, you should ask ainsley. she's got a lot to say on the topic.
Nov 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A nostalgic rating! I'm rating this series highly, because without it I don't think I would be the reader I am today. I obsessively combed used book stores for issues of the series that I hadn't read. I highlighted the ones I'd read in the listings in the front of them. I read every book at least twice, even the super specials and the little sister series. I started reading them in the summer of the third grade, and didn't put them down until I was 12. Great series for young readers! Love it!
While mostly seen as recreational reading, The Babysitter's Clun series always talks about the everyday life of pre-teen and tennagesd girls...similarly aged boys are also involved in everybook. Different topics of school and home sitations can be used (from math, science, health and well-being, world traditions/cultures, and making good decisions).
Mar 14, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: preteen girls
Shelves: childrenslit, fiction
Okay - I feel the need to explain. I read these as a pre-teen. Other than inspiring me to start a short-lived babysitters' club (yes, I admit it. we had lasted for about 3 weeks), it didn't do much for me. It offered some entertaining stories. By the way, the club lasted about as long as my babysitting career - it just wasn't as glamorous as Ann M. Martin made it out to be. ;-)
The Shan
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-and-ya
I read every single BSC book that Ann M. Martin wrote. The Club series, the Summer Vacation series, the Mystery series...every. single. one.
And I still own every. single. one.

I did not, however, want to add them all here individually. Needless to say, when I was kid, these books were my world.
Sep 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm looking for the complete set. I read this when I was in elementary school, and still loving it until now. Do you know where could I find the complete set of "The Baby-sitters Club" #1 up #131?
I'm looking for the cover like this. Not the other one.
If you have it or know someone who might has it, please email me at :
Amanda Kay
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: 12-13 year olds
I was on the tale end of a generation that is going to really remember the popularty of these book. I laughed at them first but later started reading them. 12-13 year olds. Haven't read one since I was about that age but I bet they would be SO DATED today! Landlines, no internet, and so forth! I should read one just to see how we use to live! Haha...
Sep 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-books
This was my absolute favorite series growing up. I had over 100 books from the series. It's been so long since I read them so I can't remember many of the details but the books were good clean fun with the excitement of adolescent drama.
Oct 15, 2007 rated it liked it
I read these books at least into the teen issues of the series before they got really old. There's something about your first easy serial fiction series. No Nancy Drew for me. I admit my mediocrity ;-)
Aug 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids of all ages
This was my favorite series when I was little, and you better believe they trained me to be the best baby sitter ever! Ah Nostalgia, I recently learned that the author used my unusual last name in one of her recent Teen Lit Books, Ms Sevekow. Hmmmm Wonder if she knew my mom, a former Math teacher.
Sep 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood-read
Read all the Baby-Sitters Club books growing up. Have to give them 4 stars because I have such fond memories of them, plus my friends and I tried to start our own Baby-Sitters Club. Didn't have much success...
Kayla Warner
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The characters in the Baby-Sitters Club have such a magical friendship. The girls are so easy to relate to and...well I guess I don't have much else to say except for: READ THEM! They are not very long chapter books that will warm your heart.
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
These books were really great when I was a child, I would always see my mum reading and I wanted to as well so she bought me a few of these books and I loved them! They aren't too long and the stories are quite interesting. Great job Ann thanks for inspiring me to keep reading
  • Nancy Drew: Girl Detective: #1-4
  • The Boxcar Children 1-4 (The Boxcar Children, #1-4)
  • Samantha's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Cake! (Encyclopedia Brown, #15 1/2)
  • Jessica's Bad Idea (Sweet Valley Twins and Friends, #31)
  • Creolé
  • Fall Into Darkness
  • Me Too!
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Bully

More about Ann M. Martin...

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 132 books)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)

Young Adult Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
  • Orphan Train Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
  • Period 8
    $6.74 $0.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • How Dare the Sun Rise: Memoirs of a War Child
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • What We Saw
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Grand Tour: or The Purloined Coronation Regalia (Cecilia and Kate, #2)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion