Start by marking “The Night Watcher (Night #2)” as Want to Read:
The Night Watcher (Night #2)

The Night Watcher (Night #2)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  270 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
From bestselling author John Lutz comes a lightning-paced thriller of a city gripped by a killer's savage reign of terror. . .

Someone is killing wealthy Manhattanites. One by one, the victims are discovered in luxurious high-rise apartments. Bound, gagged--brutally murdered in the "safety" of their own homes, by someone whose modus operandi is as horrifying as anything NYP
Published November 1st 2002 by Pinnacle (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Night Watcher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Watcher

Jun 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
John Lutz- The Night Watcher 1 Stars

High rise condos are burning in Manhattan and people are dying as someone sets their sights on the rich clients within them. Detectives Stack and Rica must find this arsonist/murderer before the city turns against them in fear. As things heat up they seem to be chasing their tails, leads turn into nothing and pressure is building up from up top.

From the start of this book straight through to the end, I found myself just barely hanging on. By that I mean I nea
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book, I love a mystery with twists & turns & a little romance. This fit that perfectly.
Christine Kayser
May 25, 2014 rated it liked it
I pulled this off the shelf in the house my family & I were renting for vacation. The synopsis sounded interesting, so I gave it a shot.

The crime story - an arsonist lighting people on fire in their fancy Manhattan apartments - was fascinating and well-written. The twists and turns were great. I think the resolution was cut a bit short. I read the book over the course of a couple of days while on vacation, and couldn't put it down (and not just because I needed to return it to the shelf bef
Dec 01, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I gave this book a 3 because it did manage to keep me turning the pages, but I thought it was sloppily done. I could never shake the feeling that there was some poor research at work here, though it was only a suspicion, not something I bothered to confirm. Aside from that, other things really bugged me. The serial killer was dubbed "The Torture" by the press, and unless I was always hearing it wrong (it was an audiobook, so forgive my mixing of metaphors) and it really was "The Torturer," I cou ...more
Ady Pez
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-make-it
I can't even finish this book the story is freakin terrible...
Sarah Kennedy
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty good. I did like it, but I wasn't surprised by who did it.
Apr 16, 2008 rated it liked it
I picked up Night Watcher while on vacation in Germany and since I also have a book out about a serial murderer, wanted to check it out.

I liked the book and the story, which revolves around a serial killer who burns vicims alive. It read smoothly with plenty of action to keep me engaged. I won't spoil the end and say who the killer is but it might surprise you.

What I didn't care for is the female detective. Maybe it's a girl thing but she focused too much on being sexy and came off as really un
Dec 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-read-2007
Book #51 read in 2007

I really enjoyed the mystery in this book. I had it figured out pretty early on, but it was great to see it play out. I'm not sure I really liked the main characters, though. Lutz wrote his female protagonist, Rica, in a way that was unbelievable. The ending for the characters also wrapped up too neatly. I will definitely read more in the series if only for the crime!
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
I always enjoy John Lutz. This one was a little more difficult to follow as it went back and forth in years and there were lots of characters to keep straight. That being said I still really enjoyed this book.
Apr 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, murder, audio, crime
I checked this out because I like the reader, Scott Brick, and it wasn't disappointing. He has a great voice. This was a good mystery. Clues were laid out, but I didn't figure it out under the investigators did.
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great Stack and Rica mysteery. I always like these characters. Lutz has given them personalities that come through the pages.

There are gruesome murders going on in the city. A terrible serial killer who burns his victims alive towards the end there is a surprise too.

Jaime Babb
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
I love this guy's work, but this one was a little under par.....
Sep 19, 2007 rated it liked it
Killing by fire, saw the killer coming, too long
May 11, 2013 rated it liked it
This was probably the first Lutz book I've read which did not keep my attention. Too many characters, too many sub plots and a little confusing at times. Not one of his best works. Sorry, John.
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not one of my favorite Lutz books. Never really had a connection with the main characters. It did keep me guessing, but I felt there were too many side stories going on as well.
The best one I've read by Lutz so far. The plot was very imaginative and original. I just wish the list of characters he introduced in the book hadn't been nearly as long as the Bible's
Nov 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
As always, a thoroughly enjoyable book by Lutz. I find his characters thrilling and the plots always have twists in them.
Bill Laughlin
Good book.. Like all John Lutz books.
Jun 08, 2012 rated it liked it
It was an exciting read but the ending seemed a bit abrupt for me.Otherwise it was a good suspenseful story. The story is about a serial killer, who likes to burn their victims alive.
Sep 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Wonderful book by Lutz and one of the few I've read that didn't have a retired cop as the main character. It kept me guessing till almost the end on the guilty party!
Feb 09, 2012 rated it liked it
It was ok, liked the chemistry between the two detectives but the Frank Quinn series is much better.
Sep 28, 2014
Tonya Plank
Dec 14, 2017
Cynthia Moe
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Lutz Doesn't disappoint.

After reading and enjoying all the Quinn novels, I came upon Ben Stack and Rice. If you are into Serial Killer genera, this novel contained the perfect mix. Twists, suspense, gore, an unexpected outcome and likeable characters. This the 10th book by Lutz I've read and it didn't disappoint.
rated it did not like it
Aug 12, 2008
Catia Jendrzey
Aug 04, 2012
  • The Next to Die
  • Lady, Go Die!
  • The Erection Set
  • The Blackbird (Alan Grofield, #3)
  • The Black Angel
  • Deadly Secrets
  • Deadly Blessings (An Alex St. James Mystery #1)
  • The Tower
  • The Past Came Hunting
  • The Cruelest Cut (Detective Jack Murphy #1)
  • The First Cut (Nan Vining Mysteries, #1)
  • Ancient Images
  • Black for Remembrance
  • Desperate Housedogs (Pampered Pets Mystery #1)
  • Silent Screams
  • Life Penalty

John Lutz has captivated suspense enthusiasts for over four decades. He has been one of the premier voices in contemporary hard-boiled fiction. His work includes political suspense, private eye novels, urban suspense, humor, occult, crime caper, police procedural, espionage, historical, futuristic, amateur det
More about John Lutz...

Night (6 books)
  • The Night Caller (Night #1)
  • The Night Spider (Night #3)
  • Darker Than Night (Frank Quinn, #1)
  • Fear the Night (Night, #5)
  • Chill of Night (Night #6)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Burnable Book (John Gower, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • The Stockholm Octavo
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Cocoa Beach
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kingdom of Darkness: A Novel (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase series)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Dark Tide (Ty Hauck, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • What We Saw
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00