Start by marking “The Zoya Factor” as Want to Read:
The Zoya Factor

The Zoya Factor

Alternate cover edition can be found here.

Published April 21st 2015 by HarperCollins (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Zoya Factor, please sign up.
Anna Edwin Well actually the movie is going to be released on the 20th of September 2019. So stay tuned!!
And we have Sonam Kapoor playing the role of Zoya and…more
And we have Sonam Kapoor playing the role of Zoya and our famous Malayalam Movie industry actor Dulquer Salmaan playing the role of Nikhil.(less)

Start your review of The Zoya Factor
Anuradha
I would've given this book three and a half stars, but it isn't one that would be ubiquitously entertaining. Much like chaat in the dingy gullies of India, this book was tailor-made for Indians - others may like parts of it, but unfortunately, the only people who can truly appreciate this book are Indians. Which is kind of sad because it's not bad at all.

Cricket is a big deal in India. Cricket is India's biggest religion, and this is very important to know. My grandfather is a mechanical/civil
Namratha
Zoya Solanki is a mid-level marketing executive at an ad-firm, a typical Karol-Bagh type with masses of black curling hair and full-cheeks which are the bane of her existence.
Her idea of a perfect assignment: Working with SRK and getting a glimpse of his toffee-coloured torso.

So how does ordinary Zoya Solanki become The Zoya Devi..the Indian Goddess.....the good luck charm on which the hopes of India are riding?
Simple.
Zoya happened to be born at the very moment when India clinched the World Cup
Srikari
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Zoya Solanki, Servicing girl to Zoya Devi, The Goddess! How you may ask? Well she got lucky, LITERALLY! The indian cricket team realizes that whenever she has breakfast with them they win and when she doesn't they even lose to a country that doesn't even exist (by this I mean minor cricket playing nations). This book is a roller coaster of her journey as a lucky charm to the team. Will she still be her sensible self and not go really deep into this "Goddess" status or will she start believing ...more
Snigdha
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's not literary elitism; it's just Anuja Chauhan being a bit over-the-top with her nonetheless fantastic metaphors. The Dilli feel to this book was what I loved the most.

SCRATCH THAT NIKHIL KHODA IS LIKE THE BEST BOOK BOYFRIEND EVEREVEREVER BECAUSE

1. he's not all mushy mushy
2. he's hot in the cannot-be-tamed way
3. strong and confident
4. he's nikhil khoda

I refuse to accept he's fictional. Oh god i love him so much even though i harbour no love for cricket gah
Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
This is light chick lit which I had heard pretty good things about especially from a friend whos always referring to the characters. I was planning to read it but had somehow never got to it, but when I found this on sale on kindle, I picked it up. This is the story of Zoya Singh Solanki, a twenty-seven-year old who works in an advertising firm. She is assigned to work on a campaign with the Indian Cricket Team, who is on tour in Bangladesh, and it comes out that her presence is lucky for the ...more
Amey Nadkarni
Jun 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
In my defense, i picked up this book for two reasons, namely- 1) I was intrigued by the fact that 'sometime back' a noted production house wanted to make a feature film out of this and 2) The synopsis seemed interesting.
What i should have also taken a moment to read were the reviews. Especially the one- and there is only one- at the back which mentions the word- 'chic-lit'!! Big Mistake!

And since i hate leaving a book midway- especially when it is not an anthology- i had to curse, moan and grunt
Ankur
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
WOW!

this is the kind of book i hv always dreamed of writing! funny, saucy yet endearing!

One of my fav ppl on Goodreads had recommended me this book when we met the 1st time,saying it was chick-lit but good. now i am not a big fan of the genre, and tho i had the book for the last 10 days or so. Yday eve had a tiff with dear wifey, and thought will browse this for half hour or so, give her time to cool down, and then make the obligatory apologetic sounds to bring around the rapprochement!

not a
Somyaiyer
Sep 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
The best thing about Zoya is that it is not just 'an english book by an indian' if you know what I mean. There is so much more story and people and India than in the 'I'm Indian, I live abroad, I'm confused' kind of book there has been so much of in the recent past.

Zoya is peopled with characters that are as believable as they are likable. Zoravar, Eppa, Rinku Chachi, Vishal, Monita even Sanks are people you would have or at least easily could have met somewhere.

It is laugh out loud funny in
Kshitij
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: My goodreads, Facebook and all other friends
Recommended to Kshitij by: My goodreads friends
I wanted to post it on Anuja Chauhan FB page but that option is not there. So i am pasting it heare. Hope she reads it.

I just finished your The Zoya Factor. I liked it immensely. In goodreads I saw some of reviewers has categorized it chic lit but I will prefer to call it BINDASS LIT. Your English is good but unpretentious unlike Vikram Seth and Arundhati Roy. And Hindi and hinglish in between makes it very Indian and you doesnt look like a Nora Roberts, Patricia Cornwell wannabe. It is surely
Shinde
Jun 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
My fault (once) again. I read the 'chick-lit' tag far too late, namely, after 15 yawn-inducing pages. Juvenile and utterly predictable. (I flipped to last page to confirm the predictability factor)
The end.

Rajiv
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-books
I recently picked up this book on a friends recommendation. I honestly did not expect this book to be good when I started reading it. The style of writing seemed to be very juvenile and contained mostly Hinglish dialogues. However, the plot was so quirky and unique that it kept me engrossed and made me like it a lot!

Whats fun about The Zoya Factor is that it brilliantly blends the intensity of cricket with romance of the protagonists. The author has written the cricket parts in a captivating
Madhulika Liddle
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Twenty seven year old Zoya Singh Solanki lives in a sprawling bungalow in Karol Bagh with her clan. She works in client servicing for Indias biggest ad agency, AWB. Shes been dumped twice. She hates cricket. And, because she happened to be born at exactly the moment India won the World Cup in 1983although she narrowly missed being named Kapila Devi SolankiZoya is now lucky for anybody playing cricket. Even being taken along for a match and having a sip of something thanda with one teamsince she ...more
Shayantani
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it
The Zoya Factor has its high and lows for me. Still for someone reading Anuja Chauhan for the first time, I wager this book too would be an extremely entertaining experience. Chauhan's style, which was refreshing when I encountered it, has worn off its charm on me three books later. She still made me laugh out loud at certain moments, but otherwise it felt like reading the same formulae applied in a different setting. The characters as well, Dabbu, Bonita and Zoya seem to be made from the same ...more
Suchitra
May 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: by-us-for-us
i did like some parts of this book. some lines that made me laugh. and the idea was a good one too. written quite well. but i did not like the fact that the book was too long for the story. about 200 pages seemed unnecessary! dragging the story along. and i think i do not like portrayal of zoya as a girl who swoons seeing the skipper. i prefer the women in books to be strong characters who do swoon at times but that is not the only thing they do!
Sruthi
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book long ago and forgot its existence in my book shelf till recently . I regret it . I seriously do , DAMN , How did I miss this book all this while ? This is too good to skip

Synopsis :

Zoya from AWB , an advertising company which hires celebrities and manage to shoot a few endorsements on various products . She is chubby , short , lively who loves firecrackers . Ohh yes , she is born on the same day as India won world cup . Personally she doesnt believe in luck , lucky charm or
Qube
Dec 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I see this book in two parts.

The first 100 or so pages were witty and lively. Written in a language that resembles English, it is the tongue of the Delhi teenager of the feminine kind. But it has intelligence. It reminded me of my niece. I quite enjoyed it.

After the novelty wore off, and romance reared its head, the novel nose-dived. The remaining 400 pages or so were ... well, I's rather not say anything about it, as I am not the target audience. Don't want to run down a book of a sub-genre
Anshita
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This Anuja Chauhan's book contains all the ingredients for a masala Bollywood movie- unique plot, comedy, romance. It is a rollercoaster of cricket and love!

The dialogues and one liners are just hilarious ,the hinglish language used is like cherry on the cake. Each character is funny and different...Monita, sanks, hairy, and *zoyaji's alleged boyfriend Zahid but my favourite is Eppa :D
It also provides you an insight to the cricket (including its politics), advertising world.
The fairytale
Arpita Dey
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Anuja Chauhan's brilliantly hilarious debut had me in tears. There are pages and lines I kept going back to just for the sheer joy of the inane way in which she writes.

I have been on a streak this year to read more "meaningful" books. Having said that, nothing could prepare me for the simple pleasure of reading something as mundane as a filmy love story full of puppy-like romantic gestures and a constant eruption of giggly, swooning teenage crushes.

All the characters in this book are lovable and
Chik-lit
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
RATING : 4.5
When the younger players in India's cricket team find out that advertising executive Zoya Singh Solanki was born at the very moment India won the World Cup back in 1983, they are intrigued. When having breakfast with her is followed by victories on the field, they are impressed. And when not eating with her results in defeat, they decide she's a lucky charm.

The nation goes a step further.

Amazed at the ragtag team's sudden spurt of victories, it declares her a Goddess.

So when the
Diviya Dutta Choudhury
I was looking for some light reading after failing to get through a description ridden Arthur Hailey medical thriller. This book tells the story of Zoya, a chubby-cheeked client service rep in advertising, who turns out to be a lucky charm for the Indian cricket team.

The plot was like a fairy tale; absolutely absurd, extremely predictable and rather dragged out. An ordinary girl (who was incidentally born at the very moment India won the World Cup in 1983) is shooting with SRK. However, her
Vibha
Sep 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
If I were to describe this book in one word, it would be 'dumb'. This book was recommended to me by two of my colleagues who generally have a good taste in books. Alas, they both were wrong this time.
I think I lost few of grey matter while reading this book. The facts looks like thoroughly googled and put together. Nothing wrong in that but looks obvious.
The dialogues are loosely put, the narration horribly written. The hinglish did not have that kind of charm. In fact, I usually like a good
Vrinda Agarwal
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Zoya Factor is a funny, refreshing read. It rises above scores of books by confused writers who desperately try but fail to portray the changing Indian society. Well, this book makes no pretences.
It is an account of the cricketing world in India through the eyes of Zoya Solanki, an advertising executive who becomes a lucky charm for the Indian Cricket Team. The book follows her to Australia for the ICC World Cup where she must breakfast with the Team before every match.
However, everyone on
Indrani Sen
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: india
This is the story of Zoya who was born the moment India won the cricket world cup in '83. She is so lucky that a cricket team supported by her never loses. She discovers this fact about herself and ends up becoming a lucky charm for the badly struggling Indian cricket team. Now we follow along and enjoy Zoya's antics and dive into the whole crazy circus-y world of Indian cricket. There is the dishy Indian captain of course.

This is a romantic comedy. A rom-com that is very well written. The
Suman
Nov 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018-reads
Reading this book is going to be an existential question for the rest of my life. Why did I choose to continue reading a book which went on interminably - about 500 pages - based itself on a superstitious premise - a girl can be lucky for the Indian cricket team and should accompany them on the World Cup tour - to realise only in the end that the Zoya Factor did not even count since the team won the finals without her. Dud!!

Zoya is a lowly advertising executive who makes a total ass of herself
Em*bedded-in-books*
One of the best contemporary Indian books. Wickedly humorous, couldn't stop laughing, though a bit raunchy at places. On the whole I thoroughly enjoyed this light comedy involving a middle grade advertisement executive, a young cute female with chubby cheeks, who is forced to spent her time eating breakfast with the Indian cricket team as she was born at the auspicious moment in 1983 when India stuck the last wicket and gained the cup. She falls for the dishy captain and suffers many ups and ...more
Rohan Ranjan
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Dude...if anyone asks me to describe this book...baap hai Rey!!
Read it..if u Indian and cricket is your diet...then must read...
And if u not a cricket lover...I suggest u still read this..INSANE!!!!
One of my best books off all time..Love ZOYAJI to the core...god knows why redchillies his taking sooo long to make the movie...Hopefully the cast parineeti as Zoya..that would be epic!!!
But all in all..Anuja chauhan is a genius...and this is a masterpiece!!!
Selva Subramanian
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very good rom-com and an impressive debut by the author. Loved it. Romance n Comedy in equal measure.
Shrikanth Venne
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The zoya factor is about a girl named zoya where her family members believe that she is lucky for the cricket game. Whoever she supports that team wins by hook or crook. In this zoya factor thing the world of indian cricket team and the girl zoya solanki's life goes for a roller coaster ride. In between this ride there is romance brewing between zoya and nikhil khoda the indian cricket team captain. Storyline of the book is very good and aas usual the language used by Anuja is really good. Liked ...more
Kashmira Gohil
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Believe it or not, a girl with a luck so strong, whichever side of cricket team she backs, ends up wining just by the dint of her sublime, unique luck. That's the 'Zoya factor' for you. Zoya was born on the day & the moment India won its world cup in '83, one of the biggest cricket victory in Indian sport history. She works as a marketing executive in media & in the series of events, it came to be known that she's extremely lucky for cricket & she was signed by IBCC on all expenses ...more
stuti
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
more like 3.75.

there were moments where i thought this would be one of the best books i read this year, but i ultimately wasn't too impressed. i really like the concept of the story and there were moments that were so funny and cute! i also loved that it was at it's core a very indian book. it was written by an indian person about indian ppl from india and it completely came across. there was just an understanding of the country and the culture that i appreciated, instead of india being a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
How u liked it 1 4 Jul 04, 2015 05:21AM
Goodreads Librari...: Add details 2 16 May 14, 2015 04:13AM
Goodreads Librari...: Add new edition 3 13 May 13, 2015 03:34AM
2015 Reading Chal...: The Zoya Factor by Anuja Chauhan 1 12 Jan 13, 2015 07:57PM
The Zoya Factor 1 30 Apr 08, 2009 04:28AM

• Milk Teeth
  • Right Fit Wrong Shoe
  • The Forest of Enchantments
  • The Palace of Illusions
  • Ex Factor (Wallflower Series Book 3)
  • Cracking The Code: My Journey To Bollywood
  • I've never been (Un)happier: (Penguin Petit)
  • Mrs Funnybones
  • Poonachi: Or the Story of a Black Goat
  • It's All in the Planets
  • BREAKING ALL THE RULES (SEHGAL FAMILY AND FRIENDS SAGA Book 3)
  • The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad
  • Gently Falls the Bakula
  • Accidental Husband: A Passionate Love Story
Anuja Chauhan is an Indian author and advertiser. She worked in the advertising agency, JWT India, for over 17 years. She has written 3 novels, The Zoya Factor (2008), Battle For Bittora (October 2010) and Those Pricey Thakur Girls (January 2013). All three books are romances.

News & Interviews

“Had I gone through two heartbreaks to end up with this? This was the hero of the movie of my life?
Because, hello, I've grown up thinking I'm starring in DDLJ. Or Titanic. Or at least Bride and Prejudice . And all the time it's actually been Dunston Checks In.”
0 likes
“As we inched by Worli Naka Monita screamed and pointed to a hoarding above us. I peered out of the window, almost bumping my head against the roof of the cab. It showed a chubby girl cartoon with wildly curling black hair standing nose to nose with a dark, scowling boy cartoon in India cricket blues. The girl was smilingly offering a slice of buttered bread to the boy. The line on top advised, 'Don't skip her breakfast, Skipper,' and underneath it a legend read, 'LUCKILY, BUTTERLY DELICIOUS - AMUL!” 0 likes