Start by marking “The Carrying: Poems” as Want to Read:
The Carrying: Poems

The Carrying: Poems

From National Book Award and National Book Critics Circle Award finalist Ada Limón comes The Carrying—her most powerful collection yet.

Vulnerable, tender, acute, these are serious poems, brave poems, exploring with honesty the ambiguous moment between the rapture of youth and the grace of acceptance. A daughter tends to aging parents. A woman struggles with infertility—“Wh
Published August 14th 2018 by Milkweed Editions

To ask other readers questions about The Carrying, please sign up.
Anne Goodreads is not a website with free books: it's a social network website where people can review books, make lists, etc.

You can buy this book at your…more

You can buy this book at your local independent bookstore or order it off an independent bookstore's website. You can borrow it at a library, some libraries also have ebooks available. (less)

Start your review of The Carrying: Poems
Roxane
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exquisite poems about love, fertility, desire, this natural world we move through, the political climate, so much more.
Michael
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, poetry
Limón writes intimate short poems structured by narrative and images of nature: the poetry in this collection focuses on fertility, passion, loss, creativity, and, occasionally, politics, all through the lens of the poet's daily life. Pain laces many of the poems, but Limón's outlook is fundamentally optimistic, her work measured and tranquil. The collection's straightforward language and interest in everyday life lends it broad appeal, making it accessible even to those who typically do not rea ...more
Julie Ehlers
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: free-library, poetry
So good. Ada Limon just gets better and better.
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
Look, we are not unspectacular things.
We’ve come this far, survived this much. What

would happen if we decided to survive more? To love harder?

What if we stood up with our synapses and flesh and said, No.
No, to the rising tides.

Stood for the many mute mouths of the sea, of the land?

What would happen if we used our bodies to bargain

for the safety of others, for earth,
if we declared a clean night, if we stopped being terrified,

if we launched our demands into the sky, made ourselves s
Jerrie (redwritinghood)
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just finished up this wonderful collection. Many of the poems here deal with the body and the number of ways it can be an impediment in our lives - illness, infertility, beauty standards we fail to meet, etc. Many also dealt with caring for others - parents, friends, etc. A warm and honest collection about every day living.
Ellie
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. A collection of poems about love and loss, a motherhood that doesn't come, a "carrying of grief" and yet also about the vibrancy of life, of things growing from the earth, of beauty.

I especially liked how each poem ended, like a skater landing perfectly.

As soon as I finished the book, I reread it.
Caroline
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Ada Limón is my favorite living poet. I love her work because she is realistic without being too pessimistic, an attitude much needed in these trying times. There's always room for hope in her poems.

I was eagerly anticipating this new collection, and it did not disappoint. I read it in a single sitting, which hardly ever happens when it comes to my reading. This is a very cohesive collection, expertly laid out.

The Carrying doubles down on the t
Ken
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This collection came on strong in the stretch drive, section 3, which is not to say the earlier parts were without their pleasant parts. There were joys to be found there, too, though it was a bit more uneven than the last section.

I've written up a full review and included four poems I especially liked from Part 3 down this rabbit hole.
Darby Hudson
Great writer. But kept feeling this is Mary Oliver, slightly updated, both in subject matter and rhythm. More a fan of Bright Dead Things. This won't put me off remaining a fan of Ada, though. Looking forward to her next!
Dan
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Carrying by Ada Limón won the 2018 National Critics Choice Award for Best Book of Poetry.

I enjoyed this set of poems immensely. Limon’s free verse style is simple and tethered to our common experiences. Whether it’s a poem about driving across America, watching horses run across pastures, watching goldfinches flutter from one fence post to another, playing ‘would you rather’ with friends, harboring secrets, staring into future’s abyss, struggles with depression, these are all things a reader
Lauren
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
(book twenty-three) Stayed up too late reading again, but when else do I get uninterrupted time to read? It’s too hot to go outside at all so Sylvie never naps and I get no reprieve. This book spoke so directly to me and rang with a chord so true that I don’t know what to say except that it stirred in me this strong urge to make things. I almost feel brave enough to write poems after reading this. Not because she makes it looks easy; no, it’s because they’re so dense and hard, yet light and beau ...more
Rachel
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommends
Five stars. Ten stars. 100 stars. As a die-hard Ada Limón fan, I have been aching for more of her work since finishing "Bright Dead Things." Now, I think I can say I have a new favorite collection. Unflinching, emotive, selfless, compassionate, full of life and humanity and pain and joy and beauty, Limón has delivered, yet again, a stunning work that left me breathless with every page.
Zara
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
“What if, instead of carrying / a child, I am supposed to carry grief?"

Beautiful poems about, among other things, pain, grief, fertility, and the idea of mother.
Jordan
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry-2018
This one's not for me. I'd prefer the poems with the last 2 or 3 lines cut. Such tidy little wrapped up endings, often written in a way to seem more profound than they really are.
Emily Polson
May 18, 2019 added it
Shelves: poetry
"What if, instead of carrying

a child, I am supposed to carry grief?

The great black scavenger flies parallel now, each of us speeding,
intently and driven, toward what we've been taught to do with death."
-The Vulture & the Body

I enjoyed Ada Limon's Bright Dead Things, but I devoured this. These sequences of poems put me in a wholly separate head space (which is amazing, because it takes more and more to hold my attention these days). These are love poems, poems of yearning for motherhood, and
Zoë Luna Lennox Micah-Montoya
i like to think that the more poetry you read the more you grow in ways you always wanted but never completely understood and couldn't imagine. this book makes a great catalyst for that growth. from the first page to the very last line.
Avery Guess
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ada Limón writes with clarity in this collection on a number of subects/themes, including: panic attacks/anxiety, infertility, scoliosis/back pain, pain, vertigo, race, and relationships (parents, husband, friends). She rails against her body which feels broken in a variety of ways while at the same time having sympathy for it as well as a gentle understanding. There is strength here and also grace. But that doesn't stop Limón from calling out the personal and communal injustices she feels keenl ...more
Liz Mc2
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I loved these poems and look forward to reading more Limón. Poems about infertility, growth, love, creativity, the body. Adopting your boyfriend’s dead exes cats. Anger. Politics. Conversational, story-telling, glimpses of everyday life. The one that will stay with me most is “Instructions on Not Giving Up.” It starts with spring growth and ends here:

Patient, plodding, a green skin
growing over whatever winter did to us, a return
to the strange idea of continuous living despite
the mess of us, th
Laura  Yan
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
i loved this. ada limon writes about loss and grief and politics and small moments of joy, of life, and it feels like the perfect poetry book for right now. there are lines that are absolutely stunning, little pieces of perfection. mostly i'm happy to be in immersed in ada's world with its tragedies and little beauties.
Alison
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I haven't sat and read a poetry collection cover to cover in a long time (since college, since Marie Howe). I need to remedy that because I loved this book so deeply. There's a dark beauty to these poems. They comforted me in a dark time in my life, in a way nothing else has.
Keith Taylor
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a gorgeous book! Limon looks at the world with passion and knowledge. Here's a little thing about this book that I wrote for the local paper:

Alarie
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
(I ordered the British edition of The Carrying from Corsair without noticing that and was a bit disappointed in the small format, which meant small print, too. I assume the original edition from Milkweed is kinder to the eyes, but this is Ada Limon after all. I was still delighted to read the poems.)

In “The Last Thing,” Limon tells us that she makes lists of all the small things she notices: “….I can’t help it. I will / never get over making everything / such a big deal.” Her readers rejoice. Th
Roger DeBlanck
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Ada Limón is among the best poets at work in America today. The Carrying is a volume exploding with glorious proclamations of hope celebrating identity and belonging and growth, all of which are vital to offsetting the world’s unforgiving forces of disaster and loneliness and grief. The simple act of planting or tending to something is reason for hope. A passing moment spent reflecting on death is an act of forever preserving what is gone. Always lucid with honesty and candor, Limón confesses in ...more
Robin
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was, of course, a beautiful collecting; I think that Bright Dead Things resonated with me more (but it always feels unfair to compare collections between an author) but there were definitely poems in this collection that absolutely took my breath away.

I think in this one, I was much more aware of the craft? This isn't a detriment to the poems and their strength, but rather I was just aware of what rhetorical moves were being made, what phrases and turns Limon likes making in her work. That
Jada 💌
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
god dammit ada limón. i took the deepest breath after finishing the last poem: "Sparrow, What Did You Say?". the only reason why i didn't finish it in one sitting was because it was like 3 and i had work in a few hours. limón's poems strangle you. they say please and they say thank you. i have so much admiration for her. everyone should read this.
Shannon
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn’t connect much with the first half of this book but the second half is riddled with dog-eared pages. Reading again immediately.
Elizabeth S
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ada Limon is rapidly becoming my favorite poet. What gorgeous poems!
Amanda
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the best books of poems I’ve read in a good long while. It’s one I plan to return to again and again. It’s one of those books that make you think about the world, yourself a little differently, a little harder.
Pau
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, poetry
“Look, we are not unspectacular things. / We’ve come this far, survived this much. What / would happen if we decided to survive more? To love harder?”
Alex Johnson
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every poem in this was a masterpiece. Limon traces grief and expectations of women and gardening and condenses them into these poem stories that expand out at the end. I can't even pick a favorite (actually yes I can I would die for the poem "Dead Stars") because poem after poem I would breathe and says, "Wow. Okay. Wow." Ada Limon is a must-read poet.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add pub date & cover 2 11 Aug 17, 2018 11:50PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page count ASIN: B07GCPZ62F 2 13 Aug 17, 2018 10:04PM

• The Tradition
  • Oceanic
  • Oculus: Poems
  • Obit
  • Ledger: Poems
Ada Limón is the author of three books of poetry, Lucky Wreck, This Big Fake World, and Sharks in the Rivers. She received her Master of Fine Arts in Poetry from New York University. Limón has received fellowships from the New York Foundation for the Arts, the Provincetown Fine Arts Work Center, and was one of the judges for the 2013 National Book Award in Poetry. She works as a creative writing i ...more