Start by marking “The Things We Can't Undo” as Want to Read:
The Things We Can't Undo

The Things We Can't Undo

There’s no backspace key for life’s decisions.

Samantha and Dylan are in love – everyone knows it. So it’s no big deal when they leave a party for some time out together. But when malicious rumours surface about that night, each feels betrayed by the other.

Will Sam make a decision she can’t take back?
Published May 1st 2018 by Ford Street Publishing Pty Ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Things We Can't Undo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Things We Can't Undo

Rob De
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gabrielle Reid is another wonderful debut Australian young adult author, who has produced an incredible and topical novel. Written from the alternate perspectives of two teenagers in love, Sam and Dylan. Imagine, first, Sam the daughter of strict Asian parents who want the perfect student daughter. NO BOYS! Then secondly, Dylan, who thinks of himself as a nice guy madly in love with Sam, who he has been with for a year. They get together at Sam's urging in a bedroom at a party and Dylan thinks t ...more
Kirra
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-review
The Things We Can’t Undo was a fantastic book that explored a difficult situation so well and examined the details from both sides of a twisted scenario. The book is told from the perspective of Samantha and Dylan, two teenagers in a year-long relationship that decide to take the next step with their relationship and have sex one night at a friend’s party. After that night, word spreads through their school and Samantha is understandably upset from it. She is not only very worried about keeping ...more
Lyndall
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This young adult novel ticked all the boxes for me. It was enjoyable and engaging to read, it dealt sensitively with its important themes in a way that was respectful of the reader, and its teenage characters were authentic and believable. I read this book as a parent, and there is so much in it for parents of modern teenagers who are navigating a world that is very different from the one we grew up in. I would recommend this book unhesitatingly to teenagers, parents of teenagers, and librarians ...more
Sarah Robinson-Hatch
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was not expecting this book to raise all these questions. Questions about dealing with issues with sensitivity and candour, and why books like The Things We Can’t Undo are so important. I was so pleasantly surprised by the depth and complexity with which this novel addressed topics such as consent, sexual assault, blame, mental health, and suicide, and it couldn’t have been more well-written. Please be advised that there are trigger warnings for sexual assault and suicide in this novel—it’s de ...more
Tadashi Hamada
With the onslaught of book reviewers getting attacked for unpopular or controversial reviews, especially with books that only have a few ratings and reviews because reviews don't get lost, I think I'm gonna sit this one out and just keep my opinions to myself.
Sarah Fairbairn
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loveozya
I was a little shell shocked upon finishing this book. I was captivated from beginning to end and the book is terrifically done, but it does deal some heavy hits. The story highlights and deals with: mental illness, suicide, rape, (what is) consent, friendship, and the importance of communication. While also touching on: social media (the possible backlash and dangers), parental pressure and expectations, social pressure and expectations, cultural pressures and expectations, underage drinking/pa ...more
Ely
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
please note this review will be discussing rape and the surrounding culture. if you’re uncomfortable, please click away!

I don’t even know where to start with this review. The Things We Can’t Undo is an incredibly moving book. It’s going to make you think. It’s going tear your heart into a million pieces. It’s going to have you screaming ‘no’ at the pages. Basically, it will break you.

In the way, the story is kind of familiar. Even if you’ve never experienced anything like what Sam and Dylan go t
Paul Collins
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Title: The things we can’t undo
Author: Gabrielle Reid
Publisher: Ford St Publishing
RRP $19.95
ISBN 9781925736045
Used with permission from Judy Rankin

In light of the #metoo movement, The things we can’t undo is a topical story all teenagers could benefit from reading.
The story tells of two teenagers in love as they explore their first sexual encounter. What makes this story interesting is it gives the perspectives of both the main characters that have very different interpretations of the events. A
Abbie Cini
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Things We Can’t Undo is an emotional and eye-opening novel about the decisions we can’t take back and the effect they have on the people around us.

Samantha is sixteen and her biggest fear is disappointing her protective parents. She has been dating Dylan for almost a year and they take the next step in their relationship.

The story is told from the perspectives of Sam and Dylan. Unsent letters and instant-messaging conversations reveal that they experienced the same night differently. Saman
Alex Potter
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I would recommend this book for a more mature audience. It explores interesting themes and issues in society, such as what consent means, and what makes up a successful relationship. The book showed real poetry, and demonstrates how people's words and feelings can get confused in a way that can cause people to make mistakes.

Mistakes are the root of this book. How people treat one another can start with good intentions, but can end up with people taking different things the wrong way. It highligh
Deb
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Chantelle Reid
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a incredible book from a new Aussie author. The Things We Can't Undo is a book I would recommend for young adults and adults alike. The characters face some incredibly difficult but entirely relevant issues faced at the cusp of adulthood and the aftermath of decisions that can't be undone. Reid (no relation) has written an incredibly powerful novel that is relatable and realistic and I would highly recommend you grab a copy!
Nick Barber
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure. This is not my normal genre of book to read. I read it because I know who the author is. I wasn’t expecting to enjoy it since it’s not the sort of book I normally read.

But I was absolutely hooked on this book. It is a well written, believable and engaging story that deals with difficult issues in an outstanding way. For days after reading it I found myself wondering how the characters were going now and had to remind myself it was a work of fiction.
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A raw, honest depiction of the reality of depression in teens. It tells the story of Samantha and Dylan, who are planning on having sex for the first time. But that one action could destroy everything.

Written from the point of view of Dylan, with Facebook and instant messages, letters from Sam and other documents, it is cleverly crafted to slowly piece the whole story together.

How can one decision change absolutely everything? Read to find out 😉
Sandra Shannon
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A young adult novel dealing with depression, suicide, social media and the elephant in the room - was it rape or sex with consent? Sam and Dylan have been secretly dating for nearly 12 months. Sam loses her virginity with Dylan. Due to the pressures of her Asian parents, Sam spirals into despair, with disastrous consequences.
Sonya
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a book!! I literally could not put it down. It had so much controversy, heart felt emotions & schools I did not see coming. Oh my goodness this is a tremendous book but definitely not an easy read
Leonie Stephenson
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
More like 4 1/2 stars
Eugenia (Genie In A Book)
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: australian
An emotional and thought-provoking read about the issues of consent and what happens when rumours spread out of control. Author interview post coming up on the blog soon!
Bec
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
✔ POPSUGAR Reading Challenge: A book about Mental Health ✔
Read this one for review - was actually super engaging! The issue of consent is such an important topic, particularly for young people, so this book did a great job at highlighting the nuances and maintaining sympathy for both sides, in such a sensitive way.
Sofia Casanova
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Things We Can't Undo is a Australian YA contemporary that is gripping and damn relatable in its storytelling. Much like other contemporaries set in high school, I was taken on a journey back in time dealing with present day issues. But what made The Things We Can't Undo unique? The subject matter and how well it was handled.

Full review to come!
Simran
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book had me hooked from the start. From the way the characters voiced themselves to the way the book was set up, it was all very addicting. It's definitely a sensitive book and has some suicide, sexual assault and self-harm triggers. It isn't exactly a light read but it was an enjoyable book.
克雷 丁