Start by marking “Without Saying a Word: Master the Science of Body Language and Maximize Your Success” as Want to Read:

One wrong move can undercut your message. Believe it or not, our bodies speak louder than our words. Postures, gestures, and expressions convey reams of information-and often not what you'd expect. A smile, for example, is usually considered welcoming. But crook one corner of your mouth higher and you project superiority, subconsciously chasing other people away. Without S ...more
Audio CD
Published July 24th 2018 by Blackstone Audiobooks

To ask other readers questions about Without Saying a Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Without Saying a Word

Angie Dokos
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and helpful. Would probably be more helpful in the print version. But the pdf that came with the audio was helpful. It’s a great quick reference with lots of good points. I enjoyed it.
Mahmoud Ghoz
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the book and the information flow and how the author sums everything after each chapter. I wish I can watch a video about some parts that will help a lot.

Listening or reading the book is never enough to understand the topic.
Karen
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
Better in print with illustration
Eileen
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars (liked it)

Picked up as an "Audible Daily Deal" and a possible training reference. A very clear and concise overview of non-verbal communication cues, including descriptive physical presentations, applicable circumstances, case-study references, and illustrations of specific real-world individuals (e.g. politicians). Of course, there is a degree of personal preference as it relates to such communication. One gesture about which I have a more positive view than the book is (relaxed) clas
This book was an extremely practical guide of effectively reading body language. With multiple real-life examples and recaps at the end of each chapter, summarizing the items discussed, it really guides you through how to best interpret other's gestures, movements, facial expressions and tics. This is invaluable in negotiating, debating, arguing, selling, presenting -- practically any scenario in which you might find yourself. Both the book and the audiobook come with printouts of the body langu ...more
Mia Jo Celeste
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whenever I see a new book on body language, I try to obtain a copy. They all have interesting insights and observations about how people communicate. This one does, too. In fact, it contains decades of research, but that research is clearly and simply explained. The actions and expressions talked about are also understandable and easy to picture.

The book does what it should do—it communicates. I loved straightforward descriptions as well as the recaps and short summaries at chapter ends.

Clearl

Edy Gies
This was a good book. I often feel socially awkward and this didn't help that because now I'm thinking about my body language on top of all the other things that are running through my mind. In some respects though, it was very helpful, because I learned ways to trick myself into feeling and looking more confident. I also know that I am very empathetic and tend to mimic people's body language but this book explained that is how to demonstrate openness encourage people to open up to them which ex ...more
Arne
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So except for standing hands on hips everything else is negative or defensive?

Crossed legs? Creating barriers.
Hands above the head? Dominance.
Hands on face? Hiding something.

I'm surprised there wasn't a paragraph on someone clicking really hard on the email send button and that it's obviously a manifestation of aggression. Proceed with caution.

I kid. Some useful pointers if taken with a healthy helping of salt.
Joseph
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great “Go To” Reference Manual

I like how the information in the book is laid out. It’s like a quick reference guide for translating body language. I wish there were more explanation with some of the information, and citing studies without a real connection to the material was unnecessary. However, that issue is small in comparison to all the great things this book has to teach.
Marie
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
"Self confident body language includes: leaning forward, opening palms, showing wrists, talking with your hands, stretching out your legs, nodding your head, and tilting head to one side.

"Dominance or controlling body language includes: setting your feet wide apart and stretching out your legs with your hands in your pockets."

"Negative body language includes: clasped hands, crossed arms, dropping head, tapping fingers, hands in pockets, pointing, crossing your legs and crossing ankles."
Tyler Nichols
I listened to this as an audiobook. Probably not the right format. A book with lots of illustrations or a college course with videos and pictures would have been much better. Overall, though, the information was good, and it was a good reminder to think about the impact my non-verbal communication might have in my business.
Vernon Burt
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The information in here is pretty good, but I really shouldn't have tried the audio version. The facts come at you incredibly fast and I was often forced to pause the audio in order to digest what had just been said. The techniques are interesting and matched up with what little I know, so I'll probably return to this a couple times to make certain I absorb the details.
Andrew York
(Audiobook)- terrible read- it’s basically a checklist of different visual cues and what they mean. Most of it is common sense, but I’m giving it a 3 because I will come back to reference it for the 10% that was interesting/useful.
Vivian Adram
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good load of information if you're taking up social sciences and psychology. In business, these cues could do wonders. Always was interested in things like NLP and this book touches quite a bit on it.
Samer Chidiac
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a very comprehensive book on body language and trade secrets of communication. The sections are divided properly and you can benefit from it regardless if you were a beginner or a pro on the topic.
Erika
This is not a book you should get as an audio book. Honestly, I cannot imagine what reasoning prompted them to do so... unless it is as a cure for insomnia. The information is great, but visuals are really the best way to convey & emphasize said information.
Mike
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book. Listened to audiobook but couldn’t find the supplemental pdf. Still good though.
Liberty
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reading
3.9
Jan
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating.
Luis Rodriguez Riquelme
Cheap pseudo science of obvious things to “read” in people. Waste of time and money
Jessika
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Mate: Become the Man Women Want
  • الأسرة وصحتها النفسية
  • Inner Management: In the Presence of the Master
  • Wellies and Westies (Primrose Terrace Series #1)
  • The Best American Crime Reporting 2008
  • Living on Purpose: Straight Answers to Universal Questions
  • الانتحار
  • Body into Balance: An Herbal Guide to Holistic Self-Care
  • Three Stones Make a Wall: The Story of Archaeology
  • Detoxify or Die
  • Integrity
  • The Beauty Bias: The Injustice of Appearance in Life and Law
  • Yoga for Pain Relief: Simple Practices to Calm Your Mind and Heal Your Chronic Pain
  • Psychology of the Future: Lessons from Modern Consciousness Research
  • How to be ferociously happy and other essays
  • Decade of the Wolf: Returning the Wild to Yellowstone