Start by marking “Giraffe Problems” as Want to Read:
Giraffe Problems

Giraffe Problems

Penguins aren't the only animals with problems. . . . A second hilarious collaboration from picture-book superstars Lane Smith and Jory John!

Can you guess what's making this giraffe self-conscious? Could it be . . . HIS ENORMOUS NECK Yes, it's exactly that--how on earth did you figure it out?

Edward the giraffe can't understand why his neck is as long and bendy and, well,
Published September 25th 2018 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Giraffe Problems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giraffe Problems

Start your review of Giraffe Problems
Mischenko
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a such a cute children's book. We loved the story about Edward and his much-hated long neck. Edward eventually realizes--after meeting a new turtle friend named Cyrus--that his neck isn't so bad after all. His neck has some great advantages! Wonderful illustrations too. 5-stars
Whispering Stories
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Edward the giraffe hates his neck. It is too long, too bendy, too narrow, too stretchy, and too patterned. He believes he has a neck only a mother could love. He doesn’t like the other animals staring at his neck and he tries to hide in objects, with scarves, behind trees, etc.

One day Edward meets Cyrus the turtle. Cyrus loves Edward’s neck and wishes his was long then he could do so much rather than being nearly neckless. When Cyrus has a dilemma he would like Edward to help him with, Edward
Calista
I’m sure I’ve mentioned how much I love Giraffe’s. This is about a self-conscious giraffe and his long neck, which is the incredible thing I love about giraffe’s and their spots. He is jealous of all the different necks around him.

He meets turtle who has a squishy neck and the two become friends. The turtle loves the giraffe’s neck and he would like to have that neck. Turtle wants a banana to try it the 1st time and he has waited 7 days. The giraffe easily reaches the banana for Turtle and
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Like Nora Ephron, Cyrus the giraffe feels bad about his neck. Yeah, he's a giraffe but he wants nothing to do with his super long neck. When he meets a new little friend in the form of a turtle, Cyrus realizes that having a super long neck is actually quite a good thing. This is a sweet story about how friends bring out the best of us and how important self-acceptance is.

As many of you know, I have toddler twins and thank goodness, they love books! Story time is a big deal in our house and this
Jessica
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Penguin Problems so much, when I saw this I thought, "How could they top that book?"

Well, they can.

This book is EVEN BETTER than Penguin Problems! They work perfectly together, they work perfectly separate. It is a thing of beauty.
Jillian
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A super adorable book - and not only funny, but also important.
#1 - the huge, glaring physical flaw that you're absolutely obsessed with trying to hide? Most other people either don't notice or don't care.
#2 - the thing you hate most about yourself? Somebody else would probably LOVE to have it. (Curly/straight hair, skin tone, height, etc.)
It's a great book for anybody to read.
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Like Nora Ephron, Cyrus, the giraffe, feels bad about his neck. It is, to put it mildly, rather conspicuous. All of his attempts to conceal this standout feature end in disappointment. Enter Edward, the turtle, who also feels bad about his neck. When the pair compare necks, each animal realizes their distinguishing features might not be such a pain in the neck after all.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, cybils
Giraffe doesn’t feel good about his neck. He is deeply self-conscious and deeply unhappy until he meets a turtle who admires Giraffe’s neck and convinces Giraffe that his neck is an asset.

The charm of this book is in the delightful illustrations that s-t-r-e-t-c-h across the page and in the silly conversations of the characters in the story.
KC
Delightful tale of a giraffe who is unhappy with his neck
Bex
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This picture book stands out from the crowd, much like its giraffe protagonist, setting itself apart with beautiful illustrations, just the right amount of humour within the dialogue and clever delivery.

The story is told in a standard format for the most part, but the author mixes this up a little by telling the story across the page, with extending pages or by requiring the reader to turn the book to continue reading. Whilst this isn't strictly speaking especially original or inventive, it is
Jeimy
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one was merely cute. I’m just not a fan of books where the character realizes that one animal’s flaw is another animal’s treasure.
Garrett
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-time
I feel bad about my chin.
Edward Sullivan
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Giraffe who is self-conscious about his long neck makes friends with a trutle who is equally self-conscious about his short neck. A thoroughly enjoyable follow up to Penguin Problems.
Lindsey
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
We have been dealing with the "grass is always greener" life lesson at home this week so this book was perfect.
Woody Chichester
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the Jory John/Lane Smith combo. Like Penguin Problems, this is a message for EVERYONE! Anxiety and self doubt are real, but look within, and trust others who see you for you. Awww good lessons!
Kris
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This was adorable. Love the art and the unlikely friendship and the acceptance of different types of bodies.
Ruth Ann
Edward, the giraffe, feels bad about his neck - so much so that he is always trying to hide it, dress it up and conceal its length.
Then Edward meets Cyrus, the turtle who isn't wild about his neck and all the things he can't do because of it.
Very cute.
Trisha Parsons
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The message of self-acceptance & appreciating our own strengths so that we may appreciate others was delivered with humor & whimsy.
Christy Broderick
Oh, how I know how Edward feels!! I’ve always said I have a giraffe neck (and love how scarves cover it up and make it less giraffe-like). Made me giggle all the way through ...more
Megan
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Comparison is the thief of joy.” Great story about how our differences can be used to benefit each other.
Barbara
Ah, I think most of us can relate to this book, no matter our age. After all, there's always something about a person that he/she wishes could be changed, whether it's size, hair color, complexion, you name it. But in this book two animals aren't happy with their own necks. This well-designed picture book features clever elements such as a close-up of the long column of a neck and a neck that crosses over from one page to the next. The main issue, which is not hard to discern from the title, is ...more
Cecilia
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I never thought I would ship a giraffe with a turtle, but here we are.

This book is very cute and very relatable. It provides a very good message that sometimes what we think are our biggest hindrances or flaws are sometimes our biggest assets. A very important lesson for kids. After all, you only get one body, so you might as well learn to love it the way it is.
Bmack
Love, love, love this book! Giraffe doesn't like his neck but soon meets turtle who has a dilemma of not being able to reach a banana in a tree a task giraffe can easily do. They begin a friendship that appreciates each other for who they are! A great book about acceptance and friendship. Adorable illustrations and a great message!
Giselle Bradley
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-reads
Another super adorable children's book bu Jory John! I do like Penguin Problems better but just barely.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebook
Yes. This is a very good story.
Hope
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Edward the giraffe is everything. All the stars
Katie
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The illustrations had great texture and the color choices were perfect. When Edward explains how, "It's a neck only a mother could love," I couldn't help but laugh.
HueL
This is sweet story about neck.

Edward the giraffe did not like his neck, because it is long and narrow, and people stare at it.
He tried to hide this problem by wearing scarves, lots of scarves, and bow ties and regular ties.
He hide himself behind trees and other things so that people won't see his neck.
He even likes the necks of other creatures. It all changed when he met Cyrus the turtle, who waited for seven days in a row and just want a little banana from the tree. Edward solved this
Becky Loader
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think I am in love with a giraffe and a turtle.
Dna

• Carmela Full of Wishes
  • Grumpy Monkey
  • Love, Z
  • Circle
  • Harold & Hog Pretend For Real! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #6)
  • Harold Loves His Woolly Hat