Start by marking “Blitzscaling: The Lightning-Fast Path to Building Massively Valuable Companies” as Want to Read:
Blitzscaling: The Lightning-Fast Path to Building Massively Valuable Companies

Blitzscaling: The Lightning-Fast Path to Building Massively Valuable Companies

Foreword by Bill Gates

LinkedIn cofounder, legendary investor, and host of the award-winning Masters of Scale podcast reveals the secret to starting and scaling massively valuable companies.

What entrepreneur or founder doesn't aspire to build the next Amazon, Facebook, or Airbnb? Yet those who actually manage to do so are exceedingly rare. So what separates the startups th
Published October 9th 2018 by Currency

To ask other readers questions about Blitzscaling, please sign up.
Giorgio Giuliani Well in many cases you are right. The problem is that in some type of markets, just growing organically is not enough to succeed because you will find…moreWell in many cases you are right. The problem is that in some type of markets, just growing organically is not enough to succeed because you will find some super fast competitor that will capture huge market shares and then capitalize on that success.
In the Internet space, many industries are actually winner take all markets, thus this blitzscalinb approach may have sense. Anyway this is not a silver bullet that works in any case. (less)

Start your review of Blitzscaling: The Lightning-Fast Path to Building Massively Valuable Companies
Sipho
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book by tech entrepreneur and venture capitalist, Reid Hoffmann, is a primer on how massively valuable businesses are built. The technique that many big companies in the internet age have used to grow in value is termed "blitzscaling" - a completely made up term, that may become popular parlance as the book gains popularity.

Well written with lots of anecdotes forged from both personal experience and obvious friendships with some of the most powerful figures in Silicon Valley, Blitzsca
Yxas
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Read this for work. Difficult to reconcile the recommendations I received with my personal experience with it: some of the smartest, most talented people I've ever met advised me to read this, as they rate it highly.

In parts it was insightful, but in other parts it was intolerably bromidic and superficial. Like, dazzling in its superficiality. And as is the fashion with these sorts of books, the author is given a free pass to make sweeping statements unchecked, without any sort of references wh
Andrus
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
5 stars for the main idea, 4 stars for the examples and case studies that were on the shallow side, 3 stars for the last two hours of the book (I listened as an audiobook) which basically said that China is big and that companies that blitzscale should keep ethics in mind, without any practical guidance or examples.

I’m guessing that a Blinkist version of this book would work well.
Leonardo Andreucci
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read for people in any role in a fast-growing startup. It looks like Reid spent a year in our company and wrote the book. It has really helped me understand the changes the company, my role and myself were going through.
Sebastian Gebski
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've started reading this one thanks to some recommendations, but I was more than skeptical - my initial impression was that author tries to "sell" me some wonderful scaling framework, silver-bullet of rapid growth, hype-generating bullshit peptalk conveniently split into few non-specific rules. This impression lasted until 15%-20% of the book. Fortunately, I've prevailed & read further ...

... and now I can confirm that there's actually a lot of valuable content in these pages. A lot of good poi
Anita
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Blitzscaling is a book that I believe every entrepreneur should read today. It observes how speed and uncertainty are the new stability in the era of new emerging technologies and that those who act on that and accept it can scale their business in a faster, efficient and promising way. Good read, and amazing case studies and tips on how to implement it in your own business.
Pascal Wagner
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Blitzscaling is to achieve a critical mass that confers a lasting competitive advantage.

If taking on additional cost and uncertainty doesn't actually confer an advantage, it's better to follow the traditional rules of business (at least for the time being) so that when blitzscaling does become appropriate, your organization can be efficient, well maintained, and more ready to scale.

Because blitzscaling is - by definition - an inefficient use of capital, it only makes sense when speed and moment
Zahedul
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Clearly my best read of 2018. Will recommend this to any entrepreneur.
Szymon Kulec
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
2 out of 5 stars means it's ok.

The book starts in an interesting way segmenting approaches and showing where the blitzscaling approach approach lies. Then it's ok for a while. Then the meat grinder starts working throwing various topics, even paragraphs into one big thing. The magic of "7 rules for" and "5 disadvantages" does not help to convey the message because sometimes it's hard to tell, what the message is.

The author mentions that he delivers a class about blitzscaling in one of universiti
Cameron Davis
In some ways a deeper dive into some of the ideas in Zero to One. Drier, longer, and overall harder to get through than Zero to One, but still deserving of four stars because of how much practical content is in here.
Scott Wozniak
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you are a company that needs to win your market to win--like a social network where the key to survival is having tons of people on your platform or a large volume producer that needs a ton of clients to reach profit--then this is an amazing book for you. He does a great job clarifying that everyone shouldn't be in blitz-growth mode, and that even those who do it shouldn't stay in that mode forever. It's not efficient growth at all. But this might be the first great book on how to actually dr ...more
Fabricio
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
My overall feeling is that I've learned a lot from this book. Although, I can't point specifically what.

In the end, most blitzscalling challenges and tools are mostly useful for startup in general. Specially those with a good amount of funding. Hoffman ends up focusing a lot on three pillars : speed, size and people. Which makes lots of sense. And how they will end up building and breaking your company along the way. In a, hopefully, virtuous cycle.

In the end he lost me when started incentivisin
Pooja Sethi
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a quick and entertaining read. Blitzscaling as defined by Reid Hoffman is trying to assemble a rocket ship as you free fall off of a cliff. I especially appreciated that Reid talks about when *NOT* to blitzscale despite how fashionable such approaches are in Silicon Valley, and how to apply blitzscaling as safely as possible.

I've also found "Masters of Scale" -- Reid's podcast --to be an interesting supplement to this book.
Tõnu Vahtra
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
“blitzscaling is prioritizing speed over efficiency in the face of uncertainty.” Based on recommendations I had high expectations for this book and its not a bad book but I was not very impressed as I've encountered similar recommendations already in several other books. I saw many similar topics with Platform Revolution/Lean Startup and company examples were mainly based on LinkedIn, Paypal, Netflix, Airbnb, Tencent (Weechat), Amazon and Apple which are already well covered in their respective ...more
Evelyn Ding
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a valuable book to read for someone interested in joining or understanding a high-growth startup. Hoffman provides concrete examples for the majority of his lessons in the book that are accessible to people who are not as familiar with the tech industry. He provides a compelling argument for the counterintuitive practice of blitzscaling, or prioritizing speed over efficiency in order to survive and achieve massive scale. However, most of his lessons around business innovation and strateg ...more
Robert Gebhardt
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Maybe I'm just getting old, but I'm not sure how I feel about these books that try to make a point without any sort of comprehensive study, just some personal anecdotes of the author's. Granted, the author giving the personal anecdotes is one of the biggest success stories out there.

This also seems to apply only to people trying to make their businesses go viral, so it might not be applicable to B2B companies, or local restaurants, etc. To be fair, he addresses this (around halfway through the
Hjalmar Vinje
Jul 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Nothing truly eye-opening, but an interesting insight into the mentality of Silicon Valley.
The book is mostly pretty vague, offering mostly anecdotes from success stories the author has been involved in, which I think leads to a quite strong survival bias. However, Hoffman and Yeh offer some interesting perspectives on hiring outside executives vs promoting from the inside and having executives that fit the specific stage the company is in (family/tribe/village/city/nation). This is also relate
Paras Kapadia
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book aims to be a text book of sorts for running a modern tech business. Blitzscaling is not an original framework or a specific technique like the 'Lean Start-up' or 'Hooked' but an examination of various aspects of growing a tech business under an ambiguous name. Most of the actual content is examples from Reid's podcasts, requoting of famous blogs or other well known material already in the public domain. Nothing original or ground breaking here. Nothing factually incorrect or oversimpli ...more
Andrew
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
Best book of 2019!

As with all of Reid's books, he does a fantastic job of taking complex ideas and presenting in easily understandable terms. Blitzscaling does a great job of using stories to demonstrate key ideas, strategies, and common pitfalls of companies that have successfully obliterated into behemoths of their respective industry,

If your business has had sustained growth and you're willing to take some (not so) calculated risks, definitely read Blitzscaling
Leo Fischer
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lot of the ideas were similar to related books, but there were two things I found particularly useful:
1) Priorities of a company while scaling. It's so simple, but very instructive
2) Ideas about what should be doing at different company stages e.g. 10-100, 100-1000 and 1,000-10,000 and the things that change (e.g. org chart, communication structure, culture etc.
Achyuth Kumar
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hands down the best, most insightful literature if you want to learn how the scale anything. Basically, to learn the approach and mindset needed to scale anything.
Plus, it doesn't hurt to have authors with real world experience doing and having done the things they preach!
Szymon
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book can give you an insight about why some of the companies are so aggressive in their growth strategy.

I like the fact that the author is far from being a theoretician - Reid Hoffman has seen A LOT. And he shares his experiences in the way they support his message.
Benjamin
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sometimes sloppy, often egregiously oversimplified, often enlightening, always entertaining.
Walter Zielkowski
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining book, relevant for today's business environment. Good insights for the modern entrepreneur.
Genert
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Got a lot interesting thoughts from reading the book. A definite recommendation for anyone interested in building (massively) valuable companies.
Chouba Nabil
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must read if you are in the startup world.
Avishek Das
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very real and can be implemented in your daily tasks & startup!! ...more
Prasanth  Kancharla
The biggest problem with this book for me is that the author treats 'scalabilty' as an independent variable that can be controlled. While in reality it is dependent on the variables that are largely not in a firms control.

Most of the examples used in the book relates to the internet firms that pioneered the space and are different from traditional firms. For most of the examples cited, like Airbnb or Uber, there is practically no entry barrier to enter new markets expect for investment required
Kanchan Mandanekar
This book is the fastest MBA of today's times that I could ever do. It clears the "mystic secret" of what the Silicon Valley guys are really doing differently than us. Literally, every page has a big deal of a lesson. But most of all it is the lightening pace (even over efficiency, but not ethics!) that is the need of the hour that's impressed and challenged me.

I look forward to thinking and mulling over this book for months to come, and apply it to my own business. Or hey, shall I be compressin
Andre Kubota
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This term comes as in the famous term blitzkrieg, a rapid growth. This is usually important for companies that needs a positive feedback loop and/or network effects. In this cases, it’s better to grow fast than being the most efficient, like in the war, when it was usual to gain ground at a slow pace so you could guarantee supplies and logistic. In the blitzkrieg, the troop took the risk of running out of supply and chose to act fast.

For this rapid grow, the oxygen is capital and human resource
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • Secrets of Sand Hill Road: Venture Capital and How to Get It
  • High Growth Handbook
  • Measure What Matters
  • Subscribed: Why the Subscription Model Will Be Your Company's Future - and What to Do About It
  • Hacking Growth: How Today's Fastest-Growing Companies Drive Breakout Success
  • From Impossible to Inevitable: How Hyper-Growth Companies Create Predictable Revenue
  • No Rules Rules: Netflix and the Culture of Reinvention
  • The Messy Middle: Finding Your Way Through the Hardest and Most Crucial Part of Any Bold Venture
  • AI Superpowers: China, Silicon Valley, and the New World Order
  • High Output Management
  • Loonshots: How to Nurture the Crazy Ideas That Win Wars, Cure Diseases, and Transform Industries
  • The Sales Acceleration Formula: Using Data, Technology, and Inbound Selling to go from $0 to $100 Million
  • Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling High-Tech Products to Mainstream Customers
  • That Will Never Work: The Birth of Netflix and the Amazing Life of an Idea
  • Product-Led Growth: How to Build a Product That Sells Itself
Reid Hoffman is a Partner at Greylock, and Co-Founder and Executive Chairman at LinkedIn.

Reid joined Greylock Partners in 2009. His areas of focus include consumer Internet, enterprise 2.0, mobile, social gaming, online marketplaces, payments, and social networks. Reid likes to work with products that can reach hundreds of millions of participants and businesses that have network effects.

An accomp

Related Articles

“There’s a common misconception that Silicon Valley is the accelerator of the world. The real story is that the world keeps getting faster—Silicon Valley is just the first place to figure out how to keep pace. While Silicon Valley certainly has many key networks and resources that make it easier to apply the techniques we’re going to lay out for you, blitzscaling is made up of basic principles that do not depend on geography. We’re going to show you examples from overlooked parts of the United States, such as Detroit (Rocket Mortgage) and Connecticut (Priceline), as well as from international companies, such as WeChat and Spotify. In the process you’ll see how the lessons of blitzscaling can be adapted to help build great companies in nearly any ecosystem, albeit with differing degrees of difficulty. That’s the mission of this book. We want to share the secret weapon that has allowed Silicon Valley to punch so much (more than a hundred times) above its population index so that those lessons can be applied far beyond the sixty-mile stretch between the Golden Gate Bridge and San Jose. It is sorely needed.” 2 likes
“In fact, the same basic ingredients can easily be found in numerous start-up clusters in the United States and around the world: Austin, Boston, New York, Seattle, Shanghai, Bangalore, Istanbul, Stockholm, Tel Aviv, and Dubai. To discover the secret to Silicon Valley’s success, you need to look beyond the standard origin story. When people think of Silicon Valley, the first things that spring to mind—after the HBO television show, of course—are the names of famous start-ups and their equally glamorized founders: Apple, Google, Facebook; Jobs/ Wozniak, Page/ Brin, Zuckerberg. The success narrative of these hallowed names has become so universally familiar that people from countries around the world can tell it just as well as Sand Hill Road venture capitalists. It goes something like this: A brilliant entrepreneur discovers an incredible opportunity. After dropping out of college, he or she gathers a small team who are happy to work for equity, sets up shop in a humble garage, plays foosball, raises money from sage venture capitalists, and proceeds to change the world—after which, of course, the founders and early employees live happily ever after, using the wealth they’ve amassed to fund both a new generation of entrepreneurs and a set of eponymous buildings for Stanford University’s Computer Science Department. It’s an exciting and inspiring story. We get the appeal. There’s only one problem. It’s incomplete and deceptive in several important ways. First, while “Silicon Valley” and “start-ups” are used almost synonymously these days, only a tiny fraction of the world’s start-ups actually originate in Silicon Valley, and this fraction has been getting smaller as start-up knowledge spreads around the globe. Thanks to the Internet, entrepreneurs everywhere have access to the same information. Moreover, as other markets have matured, smart founders from around the globe are electing to build companies in start-up hubs in their home countries rather than immigrating to Silicon Valley.” 1 likes