Start by marking “Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix (Rise of the Empress #2)” as Want to Read:
Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix (Rise of the Empress #2)

Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix

(Rise of the Empress #2)

This fairy tale retelling lives in a mystical world inspired by the Far East, where the Dragon Lord and the Serpent God battle for control of the earthly realm; it is here that the flawed heroine of Forest of a Thousand Lanterns finally meets her match. An epic fantasy finale to the Rise of the Empress novels.

Princess Jade has grown up in exile, hidden away in a monastery
Published November 6th 2018 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix, please sign up.
Ryn Lewis I don't think you actually do have to read the first one. It does refer back to quite a bit, but the first one is basically the evil queen's origin st…moreI don't think you actually do have to read the first one. It does refer back to quite a bit, but the first one is basically the evil queen's origin story. This sequel is the story of Snow White (loosely and with many a twist). It's helpful to have read the origin, and you'll meet many of the same people and hear some about events in the past, but I think a new reader could follow it without too much if any difficulty. (less)

Start your review of Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix (Rise of the Empress #2)
Emily May
*sigh* It's never as fun reading about the good guy.

It's a real shame that this sequel is so slow when Forest of a Thousand Lanterns was so freaking good. It's also a shame to see the focus go from the amazing evil complex villain that is Xifeng, to rightful Empress and all-round good girl, Jade.

Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix sees Jade now at adolescence after being raised in a monastery. Xifeng has called her back to the city - likely with some nefarious scheme in mind - and Jade will, of cou
Julie
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
January 14, 2018:

Hello lovely readers! I never visit my books' Goodreads pages anymore, since these should be safe spaces for readers to share whatever they think and I 100% respect that. Thank you for telling others what you think, no matter what review or rating you leave, because you took time out of your day to do so. I appreciate it!

In that spirit, I am just here quickly to share my excitement about KINGDOM OF THE BLAZING PHOENIX with you! The book comes out in October, and we don't have a
Riley
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
actual rating: 2.5

okay honestly I'll admit I went into this with a bit of a bias because Xifeng is in my top 5 favorite characters of all time so I knew this probably wouldn't pan out in a way I was happy with. But I was willing to give it a chance and see if I could be persuaded to care about Jade.

It took me a while to settle on a rating for this. And for me it comes down to the fact that this paled in comparison to Forest of a Thousand Lanterns. Where that book was complex and intriguing, th
Beth
DNF at page 193, 50%

I'm not going to lie, I feel so let down by this. After A Forest of a Thousand Lanterns I was really really looking forward to this. It was unique and twisted and a totally unexpected read for last year. So going into this I knew this would be in the perspective of Jade (AKA Snow White) and her journey.

One of the main reasons I've DNF'd this is because I just don't like Jade as a character, I mean I didn't like Xifeng, but she was so interesting and had something about her th
Vicky Again
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
Forest of a Thousand Lanterns was great, but Kingdom of the Blazing Phoneix was even better. Because wow.

I think Dao really stepped up with the world building in this one, and it wasn't in an info dump nature. There was a lot of just exploration of different areas of the world (I didn't have the gorgeous map with me) instead of just the Great Forest, and I think that made it a lot easier for me to get a sense of the world Forest of a Thousand Lanterns is set in.

Jade goes on this almost quest acr
Wren (fablesandwren)
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-shelved, 02-stars
I'm constantly checking to see when this book will have more info. I am so anxious that this beautiful anti-hero is going to end horribly because the actual "hero" has to win in the end, right? UGH. I need this book so badly.

- - -

That Title is on FIRE.
Sana
I’m conflicted over this. I really didn’t want the story to be this way, but I can’t control that- obviously. Aside from that, the book was good, but at times it was very boring. However, I liked how the ending played out (despite what I wanted) and ig I enjoyed the book. 😔

3.5 stars.
Natalie Monroe
Predictions:

(view spoiler)
Kate (GirlReading)
This duology is without a doubt one of my favourite fantasies I’ve ever read.
It’s beautifully and intricately written and yet so easy to read. The world is stunning and immersive, without being too heavily described. It features one of the most brilliantly developed and fantastically written villains I have ever read and a cast of multidimensional characters who instantly pull you into the story.

The magic system is unique and easy to follow and the over-lining plot is utterly addictive, with n
Stacee
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked the first book in this series, so I was pretty eager to see how this one played out.

Jade was an easy character to like. She’s loyal and good and nice. So so so sooooooooo nice. And that’s sort of where I lost interest. What I loved from the first book was Xifeng’s ruthlessness. She is in this one, but the focus is all about Jade. There is a small group of characters and I could easily read a companion book about Wren kicking ass.

Plot wise, it was okay. The journey was a mild build up a
Cora Tea Party Princess
Review to come.

I have to know what happens, I am absolutely in love with Forest of a Thousand Lanterns and Xifeng.

Maybe not such realistic snakes on the cover though, yes? I absolutely love the new cover designs they are gorgeous oh man just look.

I desperately need more Xifeng in my life!
Hiba
Jan 12, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
AHHHHHHH the blurb!!!! I hope in the end Jade and Xeifeng become friends and burn the world together!!!!! NOW GIMME THE BOOK NOW
______________

Call me crazy but I want to know more about White Jade then Xifeng. I can't stop thinking where this would go.
Giselle
Oct 03, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2018
OH. They changed the cover.. Well looks like I won't be getting this then. Yes I need my books to match..IDC
Stacy
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
No spoilers in this review of Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix. I liked it pretty well and give it 3 stars. This sequel was different from what I expected. I thought it would focus on Xifeng, the main character in Forest of a Thousand Lanterns. She certainly wasn’t my favorite character as she wasn’t a very sympathetic one, but I expected this sequel to be a continuation of her story. It wasn’t. Kingdom was about Jade, the emperor’s daughter (and Xifeng’s stepdaughter).

A nurse has raised Princess
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
My first book of 2019, and - I'm calling it - my most unexpected read of this year.
I wasn't a big fan of this book's prequel, Forest of a Thousand Lanterns , but this... this was actually a good book. So for those who have heard that Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix doesn't hold up to the first book - I DISAGREE. And here is why:

- First, this can be read as a standalone, but I think reading Forest of a Thousand Lanterns will make this reading experience much better.
- The story follows Jade, dau
AziaMinor
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: bad-ss-broads
"And who said heroes have to be men? Why can't just a girl summon the army of the gods? Why can't just a girl save an empire?"

Rating 3.60 stars

A beautiful tale cut short rushing too fast to the finish line.

This is the story of Jade, true heir to the Kingdom of Feng Lu, who must stop her wicked stepmother from destroying everything she loves. Living a simple life, Jade has no desire to rule until she realizes that she must to keep an evil god at bay.

Reading Forest of a Thousand Lanterns is a defi

BETTER THAN FOTL?
IF PENGUIN DOESN'T PUSH THIS I STG
Zoraida
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The audio of this book is wonderful. Julie C. Dao is a gem. I love how she completed the duology retelling the evil queen and Snow White. Jade is a powerful beautiful girl, and while I rooted for her, I still remember how morally Gray book one was.
Alexa
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Forest of a Thousand Lanterns when I read it last year, so I was eagerly anticipating this companion novel sequel. Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix takes place years after the first novel, with Princess Jade having grown up in a monastery in exile. When her stepmother Xifeng, the empress of Feng Lu, sends for her, she has no choice but to go to the palace and face what awaits her there. Jade quickly realizes that in order to reclaim her place as the rightful heir and ruler, she must embark ...more
Cindee
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book it exceeded my expectations it is now my favorite Snow White retelling it was beautifully written I was on the edge of my seat through the whole book. I really loved the characters especially Jade,Wren and Koichi their relationships were so well written I really loved Jade the most she was so wonderfully written. I loved the story I really enjoyed how the tale of Snow White was told in this book it kept me interested throughout the whole book. So overall I loved this book and w ...more
Amanda
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: action, drama, ya, fantasy, historic
The predecessor to Kingom of the Blazing Phoenix (Forest of a Thousand Lanterns) was one of my favorite books I read in 2018. Obviously, I was ecstatic when the sequel was coming out because I so wanted to see what was going to happen next. I was wondering how I would like the perspective change since I absolutely loved Xifeng’s voice.

Xifeng stands in for the Evil Queen in this Snow White retelling and she is an endlessly fascinating character. Her moral compass is leaning toward evil and her t
Amanda Kratz
I really enjoyed the first book. It was a very interesting version of how the evil queen became evil from Snow White set in a fantasy imperial China type setting. This takes place about 15 years after the first book and really almost feels like a stand alone. It didn’t really do the first one justice though.

In this one we follow Jade (the Snow White character) on a journey to stop her step mom the evil queen.

Jade was supposed to be this shy timid character but her actions are anything other than
MaryJane
Oct 13, 2017 marked it as up-next  ·  review of another edition
12/14 - THAT TITLE HAS ME SO HYPED

_________

I NEED IT.
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Really excited for this one!!!
Although, don't know how I feel about such drastic cover change. The first one was pretty!

My WEBSITE
My INSTAGRAM
My WORDPRESS BLOG
monica kim
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this continuation of the series and the juxtaposition of Jade's character to Xifeng. This book really built the world and mythology out, which I loved. I'd definitely read more involving these characters or this world in the future!
N.K. Traver
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an early copy of this, and I can confirm you are in for a treat. This is an epic sequel that succeeds in being both really different from book 1, but also comfortably familiar. There's lots to love here, from seeing where each character in book 1 ends up after 15 years, to exploring the incredible world of Feng Lu, to the gut-wrenching ending. A thrill ride of a read. Don't miss this series!
Bethany
Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix is the second in a duology, but it is a very different sort of book, which I didn't expect. Forest of a Thousand Lanterns is an intensely character driven, brilliantly re-telling of Snow White via the backstory of the evil queen set in ancient China. It is one of my favorite books. This installment is the story of Jade/Snow White and it is not at all character driven. Rather, this is more a traveling quest story. And while I enjoyed much of it for what it is and ap ...more
Kayleigh
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.

“All my life, I’ve thought myself weaker than others. But everyone has to work at being brave, don’t they? Day after day, in their own way.”

Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix follows Princess Jade, who has grown up in exile, hidden away in a monestary while her stepmother, Xifeng, rules as Empress of Feng Lu. But the empire is in distress and its people are sinking into poverty and despair. Even though Jade doesn’t want the crown, she knows she’s the only one who can dethrone the Empress a
Jessica {Litnoob}
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it

I’m so upset that I didn’t love this. After the way I was completely taken in by FoaTL I thought that this would be another five whole stars. But the most dynamic characters were those that carried over from book one, or the supporting cast in this era. I wasn’t pulling for the villain when this was very clearly a chosen one story arc. I’m endlessly disappointed and honestly I just want more villains from this author cause she did then so damn well 😩

• Empress of All Seasons
  • Descendant of the Crane
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
  • Girls of Storm and Shadow (Girls of Paper and Fire, #2)
  • The Girl King (The Girl King, #1)
  • Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire #1)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Shadow of the Fox (Shadow of the Fox, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • Mirage (Mirage, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • The Everlasting Rose (The Belles, #2)
Julie C. Dao is the author of the acclaimed Rise of the Empress duology, including FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS and KINGDOM OF THE BLAZING PHOENIX, as well as the follow-up novel SONG OF THE CRIMSON FLOWER. A proud Vietnamese-American who was born in upstate New York, she now lives in New England. Follow her on Twitter @jules_writes.

Julie is represented by Tamar Rydzinski of Context Literary Agen

Rise of the Empress (2 books)
  • Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress, #1)