Start by marking “Open Mic Night at Westminster Cemetery” as Want to Read:
Open Mic Night at Westminster Cemetery

Open Mic Night at Westminster Cemetery

When Lacy wakes up dead in Westminster Cemetery, final resting place of Edgar Allan Poe, she's confused. It's the job of Sam, a young soldier who died in 1865, to teach her the rules of the afterlife and to warn her about Suppression--a punishment worse than death.

Published September 1st 2018 by Carolrhoda Lab (R)

To ask other readers questions about Open Mic Night at Westminster Cemetery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Open Mic Night at Westminster Cemetery

Start your review of Open Mic Night at Westminster Cemetery
Scottsdale Public Library
There are so many things I want to say about this book! There are many shiny little gems in here for theatre geeks and book nerds. I can say that as the happy center of that Venn diagram; it made this book a very fun and fast read for me. I must also make an impassioned plea that if you are a teacher you pick this one up. Open Mic Night at Westminster Cemetery is a “holy grail” book for teachers. It’s a dramatic screen play centered around poetry that is approachable and engaging for teens with ...more
Milana M (acouplereads)
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am always drawn to covers with birds on them. Not sure why! But when I saw the cover for Open Mic Night At Westminster Cemetary I had a nagging feeling that I needed to read it. So glad I did! It was fantastic.

The format of this book was really neat. It was written in play format with poetry interlaced which made the pace of the book snappy and quick. I liked how odd the book was, it worked well and kept me reading.

The characters were so quirky and funny! I absolutely loved the residents of We
Rendz
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was super weird...and yet not. I liked it. RTC
Jackie
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads, arcs, fantasy
I really have no idea why this was rated so poorly and my only guess is someone didn’t actually read it because wow it was so much more than I could have ever imagined!

“Open Mic Night at Westminster Cemetery” tells the story of the dead who spend their night stuck in a routine guarded by strict rules when a young woman wakes and finds herself the newest member of their community. Already plagued as the outcast since she is considered a “modern” for dying after 1913 she struggles to find her pla
Lauren Stoolfire
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Open Mic Night at Westminster Cemetery by Mary Amato is a YA paranormal fantasy story told in the format of a two-act stage play. If you like a good ghost story, you're going to have to try this tale because there is so much to like about it. It's a darkly humorous and quirky, features a fantastic variety of characters (including Edgar Allan Poe himself), and it asks intriguing questions about life and death. It did leave me wanti
Dahlia
Aug 12, 2018 added it
Shelves: 2018-releases
This was extremely odd and that definitely contributed to why I liked it so much. With as much YA as I read, it's getting really hard to find books that don't read like ten I've already read, and this was definitely that. It takes chances in both premise and form and it was a lot of fun. ...more
Maren Johnson
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
[enter our wonderful book reviewer who recently finished this gem of a book] Maren looks around the library, wondering what to read now. How could she read anything else after Open Mic Night at Westminster Cemetery?

MAREN: Mary Amato, how could you do this to me again? First there was Guitar Notes. I've read that 1,001 times (just like the Dalmations), and I thought it wasn't possible that I could read another book that had me laugh so hard and also want to die from the feels by the end. But the
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
Brittney
Jun 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Quick Summary: Lacy rises as a ghost in Westminster Cemetery, where she shouldn’t have been buried. Some ghosts are excited to have a modern ghost, but some want her “suppressed,” meaning she would have to stay in her grave all the time. If Lacy breaks too many rules, she will be suppressed. In an attempt to fit in and make alliances, Lacy works to host an open mic night for the ghosts to come tell their stories.

I REALLY liked this book! It felt like Neil Gaiman’s The Graveyard Book mixed with M
Dana Fontaine
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn’t really care for this one that much. It was in a weird style and it seemed not very developed. Not my cup of tea.
Talia Johnson
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was weird honestly, but a fun weird. Also a rip your heart out kind of fun. I loved it.
Joanne Inglis
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful little gem. Ghosts, a cheeky raven, reads like a play but also not, the writer breaks the fourth wall and the dead come to life. I highly recommend this one, it's delightful. ...more
Joelie
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. Not what I thought the story was going to be like at all. It was better, the characters where amazing and quite well developed in a small amount of time. 3.75 stars :)
Shorty
A wonderfully written short YA novel that hits all the sweet spots.
4 stars, and recommended to everyone.
Jenny
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I received an advance reader's copy (ARC) of this book, so I will not quote, just comment generally.

Open Mic Night at Westminster Cemetery by Mary Amato initially intrigued me because of the title, then the description — the lives, or rather deaths, of the occupants of Westminster Cemetery are upended by the arrival of a new resident, a "Modern" girl called Lacy. She decides things here are too boring, too strict, and too sad, and suggests an Open Mic Night to cheer everyone up. Little does she
Caitlin
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Review originally posted on my blog, Turning Pages.

When I first stumbled upon this book, I knew I wanted to read it. A book set in a cemetery, told via play format? Um, yes. It’s the perfect Autumnal read, and fans of Edgar Allan Poe will especially appreciate it.

I haven’t read a book in play format in years, but it was fun. It made the book quick read. As someone who loves seeing plays, I enjoyed it. T
Victoria
Oct 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
I'd say "Oh this is just a book I'm too old to enjoy now," but you know? Even at age twelve with my noes in a massive copy of 'Collected Works of Poe' I would have rolled my eyes so far back in secondhand embarrassment by that I could have seen my brain.

There's a raven that beat-boxes. I was already over the entire book by page 40-ish, but that was it, and with pages and pages to go after that I had to sit down and go through it all then or I'd have never finished it.

Just /once/ I'd love to see
Stephie
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Lacy desperately wants to leave the cemetery and find out how she died, but every soul is obligated to perform a job. Given the task of providing entertainment, Lacy proposes an open mic, which becomes a chance for the cemetery's resid
Katie
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-suitable
A Breath of Fresh Air. The book is written as a play, which could be produced, but it'd be a better movie. Anyways, the setting of the story is a graveyard full of dead people (as all graveyards should be). The residents meet up each night to have tea. And talk. It also happens to be Edgar Allen Poe's graveyard.
All of sudden, a new member of the cemetary joins them. And she's a "modern" teenager. She was killed on her way to an "open Mic" night at a coffee house. Her mom and sister planted her
Cherie
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is my fourier in the young adult genre. No I didn't read Hunger Games like so many others did. I didn't find a story about kids killing kids to have merit. I'm okay with anyone disagreeing with me as I'm fine being an outlier about it.

But this book, has a mystery, several love stories, poetry, music, humor and gives understanding to the term "bored to death".

The author discussed honesty, rivalry, jealousy, self-awareness, secrets, segregation and remorse at an adult level but not in a
Katie
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
For more reviews check out gkyareads.com

In a Sentence
The ghost of a teen girl shakes up the rule-laden monotony of the Westminster Cemetery’s residents with an open mic night.

Summary
From Lerner/Carolrhoda Books:
When Lacy wakes up dead in Westminster Cemetery, final resting place of Edgar Allan Poe, she’s confused. It’s the job of Sam, a young soldier who died in 1865, to teach her the rules of the afterlife and to warn her about Suppression—a punishment worse than death.

Lacy desperately wants to
Ben Truong
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Open Mic Night at Westminster Cemetery is a gothic theatrical story written by Mary Amato. This play centers on a newcomer arrival at Westminster Cemetery and shakes things up among the Dead.

Lacy Brink is a 16-year-old with a penchant for poetry. While on her way to an Open Mic Night, she wakes up dead and becomes a ghost resident one that is houses Edgar Allan Poe. She’s also the most interesting thing to happen to the residents of the graveyard in over a century.

As she attempts to come to term
Brittany
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Mike Davis
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was just darling. I was reluctant to pick it up, because I could see that it was written as a play, and that wasn't what I was looking for. I am so glad I changed my mind.

A young girl dies, gets cremated, and is buried (in a clandestine way?) in Westminster Cemetary. When she rises as a ghost, she meets other spirits who are buried there, starting with Mrs. Steele who is not very pleasant.

The book is written like a play, and it could be a play, but I think it reads very well
Sesana
Feb 23, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I loved the idea of this book. It's set in a cemetery, with a cast of mostly ghosts. The cemetery has incredibly restrictive rules, and if a ghost breaks those rules three times, they lose the right to leave their graves at all. And it's all in script format! Sounds right up my alley, especially when you include some good takes on family and an antagonist with some complexity.

But the whole thing is dragged down by an underdeveloped and totally unnecessary romance subplot. Lacy is a fantastic cha
Vanessa
Release Date: September 2018
Genre: Humorous stories; Paranormal fiction
Rating: 3 out of 5

What it's about:
A newcomer arrives at Westminster Cemetery and shakes things up amongst the Dead. Of the 178 cemetery residents, only 10 arise regularly. One is 17-year-old Sam, who died wearing his Civil War uniform over 150 years ago. Ever the tortured artist, Sam longs to be a writer like Edgar Allan Poe—the cemetery 's most famous resident. When Lacy Brink, 16, arrives—the first "recently Deceased" perso
Bryce
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a 2.5 rating from me.

This would make the perfect summer goth beach read for the right person. Although it tackles some serious issues, Open Mic Night at Westerminster Cemetery is mostly feel-good fluff. Lacy wakes up among the ghosts haunting Baltimore's Westminster Cemetery -- she's dead too and uncertain how she came to be that way. She's instantly put off by all the rules that govern the lives of these ghosts and wants to liven (heh) up the place with an open mic poetry slam.

The pro
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you have read the book "The Afterlife of Holly Chase" by Cynthia Hand, I think that this story will give you similar feels. Both are heartwarming stories, following characters trying to come to terms with their death as well as trying to have them navigate their afterlife. Both rely heavily on literary influences and authors (Charles Dickens and Edgar Allan Poe), and both finding acceptance and changing for the better.

This story is set up in as a play, following Lacy, who is surprised to fin
Dana
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book! Written in the form of a two act play, it begins with sixteen year old Lacy awakening, as it were, dead, in a the cemetery where Edgar Allen Poe is buried. Prior to her arrival, the last resident arrived in 1913, so Lacy is seen as a "modern", by the other residents who include Sam, who died during the civil war, Poe's wife Virginia, two sisters who do needlework, and Sam's overly controlling mother, Mrs. Steele, who rules the cemetery and has the disorderly dead "supp ...more
Monae Branham
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
While I love the absurdity of the idea behind this book, I do not feel like it was executed successfully. The set up is entirely insane, but in a good way. Yet, it is hard to get a sense of direction with this book and the play format seems to hinder it. If it was written like a typical novel or even a collection of poems, all following a narrative, it would have worked better. The world and character building needed more room that the play format did not allow for. However, I think it did well ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Combine Books Please 4 21 Apr 05, 2018 07:17PM

• The Glass Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil #2)
  • Layoverland
  • The Hatmakers
  • When It Happens
  • Game Changer
  • Fat Chance, Charlie Vega
  • The Good Demon
  • Kind of a Big Deal
  • In the Hall with the Knife (Clue Mystery, #1)
  • Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)
  • This Is Not a Ghost Story
  • I Left The House Today!
  • Cloak of Night (Circle of Shadows, #2)
  • The Thirty Names of Night
  • The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
  • The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
  • We Are Wolves
  • The Kingdom of Back
See top shelves…
I write fiction for young adults and children and enjoy connecting with my readers. Adults (ages 18 and up) who are interested in writing, please check out my Writer's Studio sessions. https://www.maryamato.com/events/writ...