Start by marking “The Brighton Mermaid” as Want to Read:
The Brighton Mermaid

The Brighton Mermaid

Brighton Beach, 1993

Teenagers Nell and Jude find the body of a young woman and when no one comes to claim her, she becomes known as the Brighton Mermaid. Nell is still struggling to move on when, three weeks later, Jude disappears.

Twenty-five years on, Nell is forced to quit her job to find out who the Brighton Mermaid really was - and what happened to her best friend that
Published May 17th 2018 by Cornerstone Digital

To ask other readers questions about The Brighton Mermaid, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Helen Davey
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Brighton Mermaid
Lia (booksnpenguins)
So sad this one turned out to be a disappointment. It had so much potential - sigh!
I must admit it was doing well for the first chapters but then it started going everywhere and nowhere at the same time, turning a promising plot into what I like to call the Pinball Multi-ball Effect.
Weak thriller factor. Rather predictable and unsatisfying ending.

*1 extra star for Nell, a superlative strong female character and a proud and independent woc, who knows what she wants and isn't afraid of fighting
Anne
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story begins twenty-five years ago; it’s 1993 in Brighton Beach and Nell and Jude are teenagers. They’ve sneaked out without their parents knowledge to go to a party thrown by a local boy. They are making their way home in the early hours when they discover a body laying on the sand.

The identity of this young woman is never discovered and she becomes known as the Brighton Mermaid. Nell and Jude’s lives change overnight and whilst Nell struggles to understand why the police are convinced that
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book reviews and more on www.snazzybooks.com

I am a huge fan of Dorothy Koomson, having loved the other novels I've read by her (including The Ice Cream Girls and The Friend), so I was incredibly excited to get the chance to read her newest release, The Brighton Mermaid. The premise sounded really interesting and I knew I'd be treated to Koomson's excellent writing.

I wasn't disappointed - once again, readers can enjoy some brilliantly convincing characters (people you can actually imagine meeti
Rachel Hall
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having now read several Dorothy Koomson novels I am in admiration of her tightly plotted, compassionate and intelligent brand of women’s fiction. Far superior to chick lit, Koomson’s well-realised characters are full of heart and her perceptive, honest and down to earth ordinary good humour throughout make her stories accessible. Her transition to a darker brand of fiction has only added another dimension to her novels and The Brighton Mermaid kept me guessing all the way with its deft deploymen ...more
Eva
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite having had a copy of The Friend on my bookshelf for months, I’ve still not gotten around to reading it and so The Brighton Mermaid is my very first introduction to Dorothy Koomson. It only took a few pages for me to realise it won’t be the last time I pick up one of her books as I quickly fell for the author’s captivating writing style.

Twenty-five years ago, Nell and her best friend Jude, discover the body of a young girl on a Brighton beach. Despite having the most wonderful mermaid tat
Paula Sealey
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a thoroughly gripping read!

When best friends Nell and Jude discover the body of a young lady on the beach, the path of their lives are changed forever. 25 years on, and Nell is still desperate to discover the identity of the lady labelled as the 'Brighton Mermaid'. As she steps up her investigations and starts edging towards the truth, she finds herself and those around her in increasing danger.

I stormed through this book in a day as I couldn't put it down until the secrets contained in th
Kim
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley, 2018
The book follows the fallout from a tragic event in 2 sisters childhood. Nell and her best friend Jude found the body of The Brighton Mermaid, after they had crept out for a night out. Nell's dad comes to collect them from the police station and tries to stop the policeman in charge 'bullying' the girls. He has his own nightmare following this event and eventually moves to a more remote village where Macy has troubles of her own.
It's a great thriller- you know about the crimes, a spate of simila
Gem ~ Bee
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ll straight up tell you that I was utterly thrilled to be granted an ARC of this book because Dorothy Koomson has long been one of my favourite authors; her storytelling skills are off the scale! Unputdownable novels such as Rose Petal Beach, The Ice Cream Girls and That Girl From Nowhere all embody her phenomenal talent of writing genre-crossing bestselling books! Ok, so now you know I’m a huge fan. This book did not disappoint; it is everything you’d hope for from Koomson, and some.

This book
Rachel Gilbey
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been left reeling from this book that packs a humongous punch. The story builds steadily at first but when I sat down for the last 30% this evening, I didn't expect anything like what I read.

It had been building to a fast paced, action packed, adrenalin fuelled finale where all those burning questions that you will have from reading the rest of the book get some answers. I couldn't believe what I was reading and I can't tell you any more than that as it would be a huge spoiler.

This is a b
Renita D'Silva
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful! Another fabulous, addictive read from this author. Loved it.
Elaine Tomasso
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Random House UK, Cornerstone for an advance copy of The Brighton Mermaid, a stand alone novel set in Brighton.

In 1993 teenagers Nell and Jude discover the dead body of a young woman on Brighton Beach. Shortly after Jude disappears. What happens after that still reverberates into the present and has affected Nell's family life in many ways.

I ended up thoroughly enjoying the Brighton Mermaid but initially I found the format annoying and it drove me crazy trying
Paula  Phillips
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a while since I read a Dorothy Koomson book, but years ago I went through a phase of her and read everything I could and then her last couple I have struggled with. I decided to give The Brighton Mermaid ago as it sounded like something I would enjoy. It was a twist to the story, I did not see coming, and I was like OMG How and WTF? I also have to admit I was hoping to have a bit more closure with the ending as well, maybe a nice reunion of certain characters as felt like it was pretty ...more
Tasha
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are certain things that will make me fall in love with a book and rate it highly. I like to like or at least appreciate the main characters, I like to be surprised by the ending and I like it to make me cry.

Rarely does a book hit all 3 but this one definitely did. Although I didn’t cry a lot, there were a few chapters towards the very end that made me well up.

The book follows Nell, who as a teenager along with her friend Jude, found the body of a young girl who will become known as the Bri
Kath
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by this author and I am rather shocked that I have never read her work before. It was absolutely brilliant from start to finish and ticked every single box on my list of things I need for a good book to be a great read.
25 years ago, two teenagers, Nell and Jude, find a body on a beach. It is of a young woman and a tattoo on her body gives her the rather intriguing nickname of the Brighton Mermaid. In the days and weeks after the discovery, Nell struggles to mov
Thebooktrail
You always know you’re getting a good read with a Dorothy Koomson book. This one made me shiver at the thought of what I might find the next time i’m on Brighton Beach! The fact that they call the body the Mermaid gave the novel an eerie tone from the start and this, coupled with the intricate emotions and relationships in the story really packs a punch.

There is more than one twist in the (mermaid’s) tale. Nell is an interesting character and finding out about the dark side of the people in the
Karen
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I honestly struggled to find any of this book, apart from the initial finding of the mermaid, believable.
I was so disappointed because I have enjoyed the authors other books.
Carol Peace
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
Dorothy Koomson does it again, she never fails to write a great book.
Nell is still feeling the after effects of finding a body on a beach 25 years ago,her friend Jude was with her at the time and she later vanished 3 weeks after the find. This started a spiral of problems for her family and her dad was persecuted by one cop in particular and had to move away from the area.
In the present day Nell is still trying to find the identity of the Brighton Mermaid as the body was nicknamed and her young
Mary
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this
Lots of twists and turns had me hooked to the end. Love this author
Babus Ahmed
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After sneaking out to a party, teenagers Nell and Jude, discover a body on the beach. Although daunting, the teenagers call in their discovery to the police, from which moment their nightmares intensify. Treated like suspects rather than witnesses to the scariest night in both girls’ lives, the mystery of the body on the beach, dubbed The Brighton Mermaid, persists for twenty-five years as no identity or perpetrator is found. Nearing the twenty-fifth anniversary Nell quits her job to solve the m ...more
Ali Bookworm
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant read by Dorothy Koomson. Love the cover and the title (I love Mermaids!) but it was a fast paced plot which spanned the years and kept you guessing who it was until near the end. Thoroughly recommend.
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
This author is a new author to me. I saw the cover revealed on social media and instantly knew I wanted to review it. The cover is amazing and combined with the synopsis, gives the book its crime fiction edge. The mystery surrounding the Brighton mermaid; a murdered woman from 1993 and the young woman who found her body, now determined to get justice.

26th June 1993 Nell and her bestie Jude, having sneaked out in the night. Stumble across the dead body of a young woman. Nell feels the urge to hel
Ana
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One more great book from Dorothy Koomson. I absolutely adore her style of writing, the way she gets you into the story and intrigues you so much that you just can't stop reading.

I liked Nelly very much, she represents strong and independent woman who will do everything to protect her family and everything in her power to find out the truth about unsolved murder of Brighton mermaid and disappearance of her best friend.
I also liked the fact that book was dealing with real problems such as emoti
Vikki Patis
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Dorothy Koomson has blown me away. The Brighton Mermaid is an intricate tale, carefully woven with themes of feminism, racism, and family ties - the good ones and the bad ones.

Nell is an incredible character. She's so utterly real, with such depth and warmth and flaws. The story kicks off in the 90s, when Nell and her friend, Jude, are out one night as teenagers. On their way home, they stumble across the body of a young woman. There begins a tale of horror, of young women being take
Sheri
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As young teenagers, Nell Okorie and her friend Jude have the traumatic experience of finding a body on the beach - an unidentified young woman dubbed by the press “The Brighton Mermaid” thanks to her distinctive tattoo. Shortly afterwards, Jude too goes missing. The repercussions of these events - not least, a mistrust of the police who spent years persecuting Nell’s family - will be long lasting both for the resourceful Nell and her more fragile sister, Macy. Twenty-five years later, while both ...more
Louise Marley
My main reason for picking this book was the beautiful cover (at the time I hadn't read Dorothy Koomson's previous book, The Friend). I also liked the idea of a woman so obsessed by a twenty-five year old murder she's determined to solve it herself.

Nell and her friend Jude found the body of a young woman on Brighton beach when they were teenagers and from that moment their lives were changed irrevocably. No spoilers, so I'll just say that every member of Nell's family felt the pond-ripple effect
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another book that’s been gathering dust on my NetGalley shelf for no good reason.

Dorothy Koomson has been on my radar for the longest time but I’ve never gotten around to reading any of her books, until now.

What a fantastic read The Brighton Mermaid is, I’m really kicking myself for not getting around to reading this sooner.

The narrative is split between the past, when she found the Brighton mermaid and the unforeseen consequences and twenty five years later when it’s still unsolved.

What I relis
Karen Whittard
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been a big fan of Dorothy koomson for quite a long time now, and in my opinion I think she just keeps getting better with ever book that she releases and this book is simply no exception.

Dorethy has this amazing ability to be able to grab a reader from the first page, holding your attention with fantastic characters, gripping plots and with plenty of twist and turns to have you gripped until the very last page.

In 1993 teenagers Nell and Jude find the body of a woman on the beach she had
Tanya
2019/41: The Brighton Mermaid -- Dorothy Koomson
That, for me, has always been the worst part of the Brighton Mermaid story, and the stories of the other mermaids: they were not treated as though they were human. ... They seemed to be just bodies. Things to talk about. Things to ponder and 'solve'. But not real humans who needed dignity and respect and consideration for simply having existed. Whatever happens next, I will not be 'just' a body that shows up or even that is never heard from again.
Rohase Piercy
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved almost everything about this book! I loved the fact that it's set in my home town of Brighton, that it's fast-paced with multiple red herrings, that it describes the effects of trauma so accurately without resorting to gimmicks or repetitive 'leitmotifs' - I don't think I've ever read better descriptions of OCD, from both the subject and the observer - and the fact that the two main characters, sisters who are each hiding a secret from the other, are so feisty and flawed and believable. ...more
Samantha
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly I’ve not read anything from this author before although I do read and review a lot of novels and psychological thrillers are a particular favourite. Having read many novels in this genre it gets harder to review them as my expectations rise. I wasn’t disappointed with this one, it had good pace and the tension was built chapter on chapter.

The characters were likeable even though they are flawed and enough twists and turns means you’re never quite sure which of the suspects are guil
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 2 23 Apr 27, 2019 06:52PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add audiobook cover 1 8 Apr 13, 2019 04:09AM
Goodreads Librari...: The Brighton Mermaid cover 3 14 Aug 19, 2018 02:42PM

• You Let Me In
  • The Last Thing She Told Me
  • Lies Lies Lies
  • In the Dark (DI Adam Fawley, #2)
  • The Holiday
  • One Minute Later
  • The Man I Think I Know
  • The Donor
  • Something To Tell You
Hello, my name's Dorothy Koomson and I'll try to make this bit that's all about me as interesting as possible.
I wrote my first novel called There's A Thin Line Between Love And Hate when I was 13. I used to write a chapter every night then pass it around to my fellow convent school pupils every morning, and they seemed to love it.

I grew up in London and then grew up again in Leeds when I went to u