Start by marking “Caring for One Another: 8 Ways to Cultivate Meaningful Relationships” as Want to Read:
Caring for One Another: 8 Ways to Cultivate Meaningful Relationships

Caring for One Another: 8 Ways to Cultivate Meaningful Relationships

There are hurting people everywhere. As Christians, it can be tempting to think that care should be left up to those who are more "qualified" pastors, leaders, or counselors. But in this book, experienced biblical counselor Ed Welch encourages readers to see that anyone who has trusted in Jesus is equipped to care for others, even--or maybe especially--those who feel weak ...more
Published July 31st 2018 by Crossway Books (first published July 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Caring for One Another, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caring for One Another

Start your review of Caring for One Another: 8 Ways to Cultivate Meaningful Relationships
Jami Balmet
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A short, convicting, and thought provoking book to help us realize more how we can care for another in community. I was deeply convicted on several points and have some concrete ideas for how I can come along side others better in loving them! I highly recommend this book and will be re-reading again shortly. It would make a PERFECT small group study or with your spouse!
Nancy Ruth Turner
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been struck recently with the realization that most of the "friends" I've had over the years really know nothing about me. All of my friendships were extremely surface level. It has only been recently (starting about a year ago) that I've even dared to start opening up to people. This book reinforced many of my ideas on how to go about having meaningful relationships and also gave me some new things to think about. I cannot recommend this book enough. It really is crucial to understand how ...more
Tracey
Dec 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I do strongly dislike books that are too long, it is also possible for books to be too short. Caring for One Another was our small group study book. It was great that each week's chapter was super short and each chapter did help spark good conversation...but overall, I feel that the cursory coverage of each topic is probably not enough to spur anyone into long-lasting change.

This 80-page book is essentially a condensed version of Welch's book, Side by Side: Walking with Others in Wisdom an
Dalen
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
Read this for a small group study. It worked well for that context, with short chapters and discussion questions. A helpful little book, but know that it is not an in depth treatment of the topic, but more an overview to help get the conversation started.
Brandon A. Blake
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We read this together as a church in our small groups. It cuts the fluff of what could be a 350-page discussion to an exceedingly helpful small book with tons of helpful questions and thoughts. It is a helpful, practical text on how to live together and love another in a community.
Josh
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very encouraging/helpful. Third book I’ve read by Welch, with a 4th going now. Really appreciate him.
Jonathan Sussex
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
This is a great book, very practical, loads of application. Have used the first two chapters in a small group setting and the folk enjoyed it.
Timothy Goldsmith
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's not a complicated book (and it's not long either). Welch takes a closer look at 8 different ways that Christians can be caring for each other better. It's not rocket science, but it's good to think about how we approach people, looking to the heart of matters, praying, being honest, and reflecting.
The end of each chapter has some questions to reflect on & the author suggests this is done best in a small group. Worthy of consideration
Rafael Salazar
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really succinct and useful. I would be glad to use it as a small group resource for building healthy biblical community.
Rachel
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Solid, yet pretty simplified, introduction to caring well for others in your life.
Jeanie
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Our helpfulness-our care for souls-starts with our need for care. We need God, and we need other people. Maturity through dependence is our goal. As a way to put this humility to the test, we ask for prayer. This will contribute to a church culture that is less self-protective and more united.

Everything is spiritual and since we are broken, our relationships can suffer. How we love, how we receive love. It all amounts to how we care for another. It all starts with our need for God. This brings
Jenni Moeller
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
A nice, short book on real relationships. It examines the motivations of the heart as well as tips on how and why we should seek honest, heartfelt relationships in the church. This would be a good place to start if you are wanting to be in a discipleship type of relationship or a Christian accountability group, or desire to grow in being real with people.
John
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Edward Welch is one of my favorite writers on counseling, so I was thrilled when I learned he had a short, small group friendly version of Side by Side that was coming out. Caring for One Another certainly delivers as a shorter, simpler version of Side by Side. Any disappointments I have with Caring for One Another has more to do with that format.
Part of being human is to need relationships, yet because we are sinful, relationships often end in disappointment and hurt.
Our only chance to transf
Stephen Drew
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short book which summarizes the key practices Welsh identifies in “Side by Side” that result in the church caring well for each other. The book is written for a small group format, but it seems it still is a little wordy for such an application. But as always with Welsh any believer wanting to grow to love others more deeply will benefit from this book and hopefully it will gain more popularity because of the short length.
Ray Clendenen
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology-bible
I am involved in a Christian recovery ministry and found a great deal of help in the book. It is designed to be read aloud and discussed with a small group, and for that purpose it would be great. My only reason for giving it four rather than five stars is that I read it alone and kept wishing for more. But it offers great principles that could easily be fleshed out by someone involved in ministry.
Wayne Falgout
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short Christian oriented course format. An easy read and especially loved the follow up questions at the end of each chapter. Backed by Scripture. Focuses on building fellowship. Anyone in a leadership role or non-leadership role could learn a lot from this, I did. If you truly want to start caring for one another this book takes you step by step and gives you a good starting foundation.
Carrie Daws
Small but powerful. In 70 pages, the author highlights 8 ways to move toward others into healthy, God-honoring friendship, speaking with a good blend of authority and simplicity. It's set up for a small group with discussion and response questions at the end of every chapter, but it is also good for individual study and those desiring to better understand where they can improve. It's full of good nuggets, helpful examples, and encouraging motivation to improve the depth of some of the most impor ...more
Dana Schnitzel
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
A helpful little booklet. I think I would have appreciated it more had I had a group to read aloud and discuss with, as the introduction suggests, but it was still good. It's nice and short, but still carries deep insights and great reminders. ...more
Kayley Griffin
Feb 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
I recommend this little book! It’s small and you can easily go through this as a devotional or in a Bible Study. It’s a simple read and the principles are simple, but they are good practical tips for living out the gospel.
Bjørn
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simple but Very challenging
Tara Lynn
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Found this little book extremely helpful in learning the basics of how to care for others as Jesus did. Read alone, but it would work great in a small group discussion as well.
Michael Bowman
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very helpful little book. Straightforward and practical.
Keith Pinckney
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Practical and Biblical ways to care for one another in the life of the Body. Small nuggets that make a huge difference.
Rachel
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very short but very thought-provoking as well. I’d definitely read it again or at least skim some of the ideas.
Brandi Breezee
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Some good nuggets in this short little book.
Jared Segerstrom
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great resource on practical, biblical ways to show loving compassion for others.
Kirsten
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, counseling
A modern version of Bonhoeffer’s “Life Together” regarding the importance of your church community and how to be a loving friend.
Jackie Eason
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A concise, effective book that encourages everyone to invest in each other. So simple, but powerfully good.
David Steele
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Each Christmas, like most families, we gather around the Christmas tree. After telling the story of the birth of Jesus and celebrating his incarnation, we open presents. When I was a child, I remember gravitating toward the big presents. After all, bigger is better. “The bigger the package, the better the present,” I reasoned in my seven-year-old mind.

Sometimes people approach books with the same mentality. “How could a small book influence anyone’s life?” So goes the conventional mentality. But
Dave Hornor
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It may be an itty-bitty book, but it's mighty fine! Very practical and filled with Ed Welch's usual deft pastoral touch. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Gentle and Lowly: The Heart of Christ for Sinners and Sufferers
  • Enjoy your prayer life
  • Coronavirus and Christ
  • Finding the Right Hills to Die on: The Case for Theological Triage
  • Discipling: How to Help Others Follow Jesus
  • Zeal Without Burnout: Seven Keys to a Lifelong Ministry of Sustainable Sacrifice
  • Conscience: What It Is, How to Train It, and Loving Those Who Differ
  • Do More Better: A Practical Guide to Productivity
  • Dark Clouds, Deep Mercy: Discovering the Grace of Lament
  • When Pain Is Real and God Seems Silent: Finding Hope in the Psalms
  • Lit!: A Christian Guide to Reading Books
  • Competing Spectacles: Treasuring Christ in the Media Age
  • Refresh: Embracing a Grace-Paced Life in a World of Endless Demands
  • Honest Evangelism: How to talk about Jesus even when it's tough (Live Different)
  • Suffering: Gospel Hope When Life Doesn't Make Sense
  • Before You Open Your Bible: Nine Heart Postures For Approaching God's Word
  • When the Darkness Will Not Lift: Doing What We Can While We Wait for God—And Joy
  • As boas novas em Rute: redenção nos campos do Senhor
Edward T. Welch, M.Div., Ph.D., is a licensed psychologist and faculty member at the Christian Counseling & Educational Foundation (CCEF). He has counseled for thirty years and is the best-selling author of many books including When People Are Big and God Is Small; Addictions: A Banquet in the Grave; Blame It on the Brain?; Depression: A Stubborn Darkness; Crossroads: A Step-by-Step Guide Away fro ...more