Start by marking “The Ten Commandments: What They Mean, Why They Matter, and Why We Should Obey Them” as Want to Read:

The Ten Commandments were foundational to the lives of the ancient Israelites, but many Christians don't know how the list relates to their lives today. Are they still relevant? If so, which rules still apply? What do these commands mean in light of God's grace and mercy shown in Jesus? In this book, Kevin DeYoung delivers critical truth about God's Ten Commandments as he ...more
Published October 31st 2018 by Crossway Books (first published October 15th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Ten Commandments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ten Commandments

Jack Smith
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good. Useful for answering the inevitable questions from Non-Christians about slavery and relational and gender related stuff, plus the ever present underlying Gospel message. To be honest though whenever reading Kevin DeYoung it will always be meh in my book compared to 'A Hole in Our Holiness,' and as good as this was it was no exception.
Jonathan Sussex
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
Really enjoyed this book, he really bought to life how the commandments are applicable this side of the cross
Stacia
I really enjoyed this book. It's easy and accessible, yet deep and thought-provoking.
Jacob London
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is actually really solid. Often I found myself convicted of my sins by DeYoung's exposition of the decalogue, but also encouraged by him to look unto Christ for my hope and salvation. DeYoung writes about the 10 Commandments in a way that fulfills the three fold use of the law, and specifically emphasizes how it directs us in our lives as Christian's today.
Chris
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good teaching on something sometimes too familiar to appreciate adequately. Some chapters were more enlightening for me than others, but this was accessible and worthwhile. It made for a good discussion in our Sunday school class, too.
David Steele
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ask anyone if they are familiar with the Ten Commandments and the answer will be in the affirmative. But ask that same person to recite the ten commandments by memory. The results will not be as encouraging, even among professing Christians.

Kevin DeYoung devotes his latest book, The Ten Commandments to explaining and exploring these ten imperatives. The subtitle describes the essence of the book: What They Mean, Why They Matter, and Why We Should Obey Them.

DeYoung carefully guides readers th
David Couch
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Kevin DeYoung has written a number of accessible level books for lay-people in the church. From topics of busyness, to holiness, to how do we find God’s will, these books have helped the church grapple with difficult areas of doctrine for today.

In his latest book on the Ten Commandments, DeYoung sets out to explain what they mean, why they matter, and why we should obey them.

Coming from a different view to the author, I was interested to read this book and see if his argu
Hobart
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
My initial thought when I saw this book was: do we need another popular-level work on The Ten Commandments? We've got so many already, like: Ryken's Written in Stone, Horton's The Law of Perfect Freedom, Packer's Growing in Christ. We've got Douma's, Watson's and Durham's (newly republished) on the heavier end of the spectrum, too. Why bring out a new book by DeYoung? Still, I was intrigued, so I requested a copy.

Not too surprisingly, I'm glad I did.
Stefanie Sugia
"Studying the Ten Commandments reveals the very heart of human rebellion: we don't like God telling us what we can and cannot do."
When I was contemplating which book to choose from the Crossway Blog Review Program, somehow this book really appealed to me because of the title: The Ten Commandments: What They Mean, Why They Matter, and Why We Should Obey Them. Being a Christian for more than 10 years, I am very familiar with the Ten Commandments. But as Kevin DeYoung mentioned in this book, most people
Jamie Winch
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is my new devotional, to go through God’s Law.

The modern church today does not emphasise the law enough, and sees the law as burdensome. This is a categorical error. It’s burdensome for justification, only Christ can fulfil the demands of the law... but for our sanctification, it is glorious. Kevin DeYoung does this so well, to help to see the law as a delight, aligning with the testimony of Scripture.

It is well written and DeYoung’s insights are par
Erica Reagan Powell
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
This is one of those books that, in my opinion, every Christian should read. Prior to reading this book, I confess I had a low, basic view of the ten commandments. Kevin DeYoung's biblical explanations and practical applications of each were enlightening, convicting, and encouraging. Highly recommended!
Paul
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kevin DeYoung continues to patch the hole in our holiness. This book is an accessible exposition of the ten words, with relevant applications, and lots of quotes from John Calvin as a bonus. Listened to the audiobook in December 2018.
Paul
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A thoughtful look at the Ten Commandments, something we don't seem to have much time for these days, done through the lens of Christ. Helpful, convicting practical application, with encouragement.
Faith Cote
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a good, practical read on how the Ten Commandments applies to our daily lives. Super convicting!
Samuel Kassing
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short. Accessible. Biblical. In the Reformed tradition. A good sense of humor and wise pastoral application. A great introductory read.
Heather Persing
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
**I received this book from Crossway through Netgalley. All opinions are my own.**

I thought Kevin DeYoung dug into each of the Ten Commandments in a way that exposed sin and left me even more grateful for the Gospel. I appreciated the first few chapters that explained why the commandments are still important today. I’d definitely recommend this book.
Joe Nixon
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well explained and practical
Tomsugi
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kevin DeYoung, The Ten Commandments: What They Mean, Why They Matter, and Why We Should Obey Them (Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2018)

Kevin DeYoung provides a practical exposition of the Ten Commandments from Exodus 20 and shows how these ancient Israelite laws are still applicable to Christians today. He provides a brief introduction and epilogue, then spends a chapter expounding each commandment.

DeYoung writes like a pastor and preached much of this material in the local
E
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are other useful treatments of the ten commands available (see Packer, Douma, Ryken, etc.), yet DeYoung's is a welcome addition to the pile. His chapters are quite sermonic, as I believe the source of the material was his previous pulpit ministry. He relies a lot on the Heidelberg Catechism's answers on the ten commandments, rarely turning to Westminster's more thorough answers. DeYoung does a good job of drawing out the implications of the various commandments, although he relies less on ...more
Eric Johnson
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is so much to say about the Ten Commandments. For millenia, entire volumes have been devoted in both Jewish and Christian traditions to expounding the truths (and traditions) associated with these commands/laws/words. DeYoung, writing from an evangelical Christian perspective, provides readers with introductory material on the 10 Commandments: how they are viewed historically, why debate ensues on the topic of whether or not they should be obeyed today, and their implications for Christian ...more
Nathan Seale
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a helpful book, examining the 10 commandments and highlighting their meaning and importance for today. DeYoung walks through each commandment, first defining what the commandment is requiring and then asking why this is important for today.

One note that the book brings up which I had not considered previously was the fact that in each of the first 9 Hebrew books of the Old Testament (Gen (1), Exod (2), Lev (3), Num (4), Deut (5), Josh (8), Judg (6), Sam (7), Kgs (9-10), one of the 10 c
Kimberley
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is not the typical book I would pick up to review, but that’s precisely the reason why I did. I read “The Hole in our Holiness” by Mr. DeYoung and was deeply challenged by his insight. This book is no different.
I think we can become slightly jaded, whether we mean to be or not, by passages that can become overly familiar. Or, as the book points out, we can also lose understanding when certain passages are no longer passed down from one generation to the next, which seems to be more of
Nathan White
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent book. Thorough, biblical, readable; a great gift book as well. This book coupled with Fesko's book on the subject ("The Rule of Love") are the two best modern books on the subject.

Where DeYoung excels is in the area of modern application. He understands our culture and how we tend to break each commandment. He's also thoroughly biblical, as the book is littered with cross references and illustrations drawn from scripture. These two things alongside DeYoung's engaging and readable writ
Rachel Menke
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
I had listened to Kevin DeYoung preach through the 10 Commandments as a part of his series in Exodus and had found these sermons to be hugely helpful and so I was thrilled to find out that a book was coming out! While the book is essentially his sermons in book form (which is sometimes really obvious in a funny way) they are no less helpful or enjoyable than when I listened to them.

The purchase price of the book is worth it for the chapter on the 9th commandment alone (which is super convicting
Andrew
This is the best book on the 10 commandments that I have read. DeYoung does us a superb job of explaining the commandment, giving its context, and helping us to think very concretely about what keeping the commandment looks like in the present. This would be a help for the pastor preaching a sermon series or the teacher leading a small group, in addition to being a great individual/devotional resource.
Gavin Breeden
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
A helpful and concise explanation of the Ten Commandments. Practical with a view towards some historic Reformed Confessions like Westminster and the Heidelberg Catechism. Great for small groups, good discussion questions in the back. Used this as my guide to lead a college guys' small group. Went really well.
Andrew Wolgemuth
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, faith, audio
A wonderful walk through the Ten Commandments that explains the significance of the commandments for their original audience, the breadth ground covered by the seemingly simple decrees, and their "transposition" for believers due to our forgiveness in Christ.

(full disclosure: the literary agency I work for represents Kevin)
Steven Mandeville
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book digging into what's beneath the ten commands in the rest of scripture - loved the explanation in the back third of the book that the commandments themselves are essentially the bare minimum for obedience
Rick Widener
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Going deeper

I actually found this book refreshing. Having memorized the Ten Commandments as a child and tried to live by them within the grace of God, this book brought them back to life. Thanks.
Tom
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
DeYoung manages to be brief and succinct with his treatment of the Decalogue, balancing readability with depth. He challenges the reader to assess and examine themselves, while also reminding us of who we are in Christ, the perfect law keeper. This is a good check-up for the heart.
Kevin DeYoung is the Senior Pastor at University Reformed Church (RCA) in East Lansing, Michigan, right across the street from Michigan State University.
“You can’t say, “I’m only doing what my parents taught me.” You can’t excuse your disobedience by pointing to your upbringing or culture or personal history. God will punish the next generation if they continue in the sins they learned from the previous generation. That’s the point of the warning.” 0 likes
“We make no apology for being Word-centered and words-centered. Faith comes by hearing (Rom. 10:17). That’s how God designed it because that’s how he has chosen to reveal himself. Christian worship is meant to be wordy and not a breathtaking visual display. If God wanted us to see him in worship, he would have presented himself differently in the Sinai theophany. The way God “showed up” to give the Ten Commandments says something about how we are to keep the Ten Commandments.” 0 likes