Start by marking “Journeys of a Lifetime, Second Edition: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips” as Want to Read:
Journeys of a Lifetime, Second Edition: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips

Journeys of a Lifetime, Second Edition: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips

Featuring 120 new destinations, this best-selling inspirational travel guide reveals 500 celebrated and lesser-known destinations around the globe, from ocean cruises in Antarctica to horse treks in the Andes. Completely revised and updated for its 10th anniversary.

Compiled from the favorite trips of National Geographic's legendary travel writers, this fully updated, 1
Published October 23rd 2018 by National Geographic Society (first published October 16th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Journeys of a Lifetime, Second Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journeys of a Lifetime, Second Edition

Start your review of Journeys of a Lifetime, Second Edition: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips
Allison
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
It's a really lovely coffee table sized book full of the little blurbs & gorgeous photos that I connect with anything by National Geographic. I like the organization of it - with the colored tabs on the sides - as well as the chosen categories. Definitely trips for everyone. A great starting point for a "must travel" list. ...more
Natalie
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EXPLORE THE BEST OF THE WORLD.
There's over 120 brand new destinations within this book and there is something for everyone inside it. So weather you love hiking, train journeys, stargazing or fishing, flowers, food, culture or history, there's something for everyone to explore in this book.
I have seen so many breath taking pictures within this book that if I could I'd hop on a plane and travel far and wide to see them all. The trouble is there's so many I don't know which I'd pick first! The in
Nancy
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Who am I kidding? You don't really "read" a book like this. You leave it sitting on a corner of your desk at work for months on end, and when you're bored or having an especially bad day, you flip through it and plan your next vacation. If you're anal like I am, you try to find a helpful website for the trips you like and bookmark it in Pinterest for future planning/day dreaming. Yeah, that's what I did and I loved it.

But seriously, it's 500 trips. 500! That's a lot. And the library is now threa
Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nf-other
Excellent resource for planning your bucket list.
Debra Schoenberger
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This six pound reference book is a veritable guide to pretty much anyplace you want to explore and how you want to do it.  Not everyone travels the same way or wants to do the same thing so this book breaks down trips and destinations into sections that will appeal to different travelers.

Each page highlights a destination with a brief (not exhaustive) summary, advice about when to go, how long, when to plan, inside information and a list of websites to visit for more information.  There is also
Janet
Jan 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
A wonderful book to dream with--of where you've been and where you'd like to go. Amazingly I have been on many of the domestic trips described. Hopefully I wil be fortunate enough to spend the next 40 years visiting and experiencing some of the international places and adventures. I'll try to remember to return to this book to make plans--it's nicely organized by journeys across water, by road, by rail, on foot, in search of culture,in gourmet heaven, into the action, up and away and in their fo ...more
Liane
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Book. There is a trip for everyone, every bucket list, anyone who wants to travel. Hike the San Juan Skyway, Scotland Highlands, Tour du Mont Blanc in the Alps, Dolomites of Italy, Trans Canada Trail, The Tyrol in Austria, John Muir Trail.... OR.....take the Inland Railway across Sweden, Sea Kayak off Baja, Slow Food in Tuscany, Cross Country Ski Vermont's Catamount Trail, Surf School in Hawaii. The best thing about the book is it lists "When to Go, How Long it takes, Planning, Inside In ...more
Roberta
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, 2018
If this book doesn’t light a flame under your wanderlust, you are reading the wrong book!
While it included some places and activities that did not appeal to me — aggressive adventures, for example — it did include many fascinating locations and activities.
It even made me want to return to most of the places that I have already visited!
Keep in mind that it is a coffee-table style of travel book, so if that type of reading does not appeal to you then you might be better off reading a book set in
Ashley
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, travel
Interesting way to lay out travel and I got a few new ideas from it!
Megan Hevener
This is a great way to show students the art of embodying the voice of persuasion. These writers have to persuade the audience to think a particular destination is one of the World's greatest trips. I will select a few trips for students to read. This will be used as a model text for students to get some ideas about putting on their selling something voice and persuading the audience on why something is the best or worst. Student will highlight phrases or sentences that really stand out in persu ...more
Andrew Brennan
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Something I learned in this book is that The middle East is a very old and interesting tourist atraction, because it is filled with lots of beautiful architecture.
Kathleen Garber
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult_nonfiction
This beautiful full colour book takes you on a tour of 500 trips you can take around the world, separated by type of trip and including photos, places you don’t want to miss, tips specific to that area and where to find more information.

The categories are: Across Water, By Road, By Rail, On Foot, In Search of Culture, In Gourmet Heaven, Into the Action, Up and Away and In Their Footsteps.

The first few are obvious. Into the Action are for those who want hands-on adventure (Dogsledding in Alaska,
Grace
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love, love, LOVE this book. I've had it for years, and it's as fun to read on any rainy day as it is to read when planning a trip. I'm constantly dog-earing another page to add to my list of travel destinations. Half the fun is looking at the photographs, collected over the years by Nat Geo's finest. The format, divided into modes of travel (By Train, On Foot) makes what could be a very overwhelming coffee table book accessible. The Top 10 lists are also great fun (Where else would you find a ...more
Amerynth
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
"Journeys of a Lifetime" which gives short vignettes on interesting travel ideas is a really beautiful book. The pictures are gorgeous and the short trip descriptions are nice.

I didn't love the way the book was organized -- by type of travel rather than location -- as it makes things more difficult to find if you're traveling to an area. (Do a lot of people say, I want to take a trip by train.... I'll look for someplace to go?) I expected more itineraries rather than brief descriptions, too.

The
Molly
Mar 16, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Unless you are extremely lucky, extremely rich, or both, this book is a way to vicariously see places you are not likely to visit in person. It's National Geographic, so, of course the pictures are awesome. I was pleasantly surprised that I had visited some of the places mentioned, but not shocked to find that many I'd never heard of! There are minimal travel details included for each journey, but if you actually intend to take one of the trips a more in depth guide would be essential.
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent "coffee table book". There is a trip in here for everyone who wants to travel local and internationally; by boat, plane, or foot; adventure-themed or food-themed. Very fun. The only thing I wish they could have done was given more detailed information about each trip. Logically I know that book would be 3x the size as this one, and this book is not light already-but that is what I thought was missing, more detail.
Carole
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful "coffee table book" full of ideas about places to go and things to do around the world. It's only drawback was also it's highpoint, that it didn't go into too much depth about each location. It was visually attractive as each page was one locale. For people who like to travel, or wish they could, it was a great way to get ideas about where to go and what to do.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: armchair travelers
Recommended to Dee Renee by: Elaine Holmes
Shelves: 2010
Before reading this book I would have never imagined there is The Great Pub Crawl in Australia where the designated driver is the pilot who flies you from pub to pub. It sounded like great fun. This is perfect gift for an armchair traveler or for the person in charge of vacation itineraries. Websites are given for each trip for more research.
Brian Badonde
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love to travel and I think this book is fantastic! Browsing through this beautiful book, I had to add several travel destinations to my list of places I someday want to visit. If you want some great vacation ideas, from US to exotic oversees destinations, this book will provide many. Paging through the book is also an educational opportunity to discover a bit more about places around the world.
Ron
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-travel
WOW, WOW & WOW!!!
If this book doesn't wake up the travel and adventure bug in you... nothing will.
So many great trips, so little time.
Nicely split up into chapters.. by water, by road, by rail & by foot. Even has the best elevator trips.
A much better book than "1,000 places to see before you die".
Francine
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this when it was newly published. The photographs are outstanding---it's National Geographic, after all.

This is a great book to reflect on during cold weather months...take yourself on a visual journey.

This book has inspired country-themed parties; I've used it to inspire a culinary themed dinner at least twice.

Highly Recommended.
Sara W.
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading is book is like traveling around the world. I love this book since it introduces places that are very beautiful and nice to visit. Also it includes here some bridges, highways and rides that you can just see it beautiful and great to stay for a while. I love also the pictures included here. Such an overwhelmed to read.
Kmccart
Mar 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even when I can't travel physically, I can take "mind trips" with this fabulous book by Nat Geo. Of course, the photos are gorgeous, and it's great fun to say, "I've been there!" or "That's on my list!" when flipping through the pages.
E. Ce Miller
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great coffee table book--I often will flip through it in a spare moment here and there...it's like taking a mini-vacation. It's also great in assisting with off-beat trip planning. This is definitely a book for travelers, not tourists.
Pam
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book, full of inspirational ideas for trips. Great photography, as always for NG. I will buy this book, just to flip through & dream. ...more
Aimee
Dec 17, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Wonder if the publishers considered such alternate titles like, "Oh, The Places You'll Never Go" or "Dare to Dream".
Elaine
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in travel
Recommended to Elaine by: Amazon?
Great Book. I've got this and the rest of my travel library right behind me now. I can look things up anytime. It's all about dreaming and thinking about where I want to go next and how I can do it.
Mary Jo
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This will surely give you wanderlust!
Carol
Feb 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an awesome coffee table book! I like the website references for more info on trips they recommend.
Ellie  Dynek
An eclectic and fascinating collection of journey that can make someone's life an enriching experience and provide them with adventures and memories to remember for years to come.

• The Travel Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the World
  • 1,000 Places to See Before You Die
  • 1,000 Places to See in the U.S.A. & Canada Before You Die
  • London (Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • The Art of Travel
  • Rick Steves' Europe Through the Back Door
  • The Home Edit: A Guide to Organizing and Realizing Your House Goals
  • Rick Steves' Spain 2007 (Rick Steves' Country Guides)
  • Mostly Plants: 101 Delicious Flexitarian Recipes from the Pollan Family
  • The Love and Lemons Cookbook: An Apple-to-Zucchini Celebration of Impromptu Cooking
  • The Snow Queen
  • Beauty & the Beast: A Pop-up Book of the Classic Fairy Tale
  • A Year in the World: Journeys of a Passionate Traveller
  • Forks Over Knives—The Cookbook: Over 300 Recipes for Plant-Based Eating All Through the Year
  • The Italian Renaissance
  • The Oregon Coast Photo Road Trip: How To Eat, Stay, Play, and Shoot Like a Pro
  • Bernini