Start by marking “Journeys of a Lifetime, Second Edition: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips” as Want to Read:
Journeys of a Lifetime, Second Edition: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips

Journeys of a Lifetime, Second Edition: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips

(Journeys of a Lifetime)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  2,147 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Featuring 120 new destinations, this best-selling inspirational travel guide reveals 500 celebrated and lesser-known destinations around the globe, from ocean cruises in Antarctica to horse treks in the Andes. Completely revised and updated for its 10th anniversary.

Compiled from the favorite trips of National Geographic's legendary travel writers, this fully updated, 10t
Published October 23rd 2018 by National Geographic Society (first published October 16th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Journeys of a Lifetime, Second Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journeys of a Lifetime, Second Edition

Allison
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
It's a really lovely coffee table sized book full of the little blurbs & gorgeous photos that I connect with anything by National Geographic. I like the organization of it - with the colored tabs on the sides - as well as the chosen categories. Definitely trips for everyone. A great starting point for a "must travel" list.
Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nf-other
Excellent resource for planning your bucket list.
Liane
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Book. There is a trip for everyone, every bucket list, anyone who wants to travel. Hike the San Juan Skyway, Scotland Highlands, Tour du Mont Blanc in the Alps, Dolomites of Italy, Trans Canada Trail, The Tyrol in Austria, John Muir Trail.... OR.....take the Inland Railway across Sweden, Sea Kayak off Baja, Slow Food in Tuscany, Cross Country Ski Vermont's Catamount Trail, Surf School in Hawaii. The best thing about the book is it lists "When to Go, How Long it takes, Planning, Inside In ...more
Megan Hevener
This is a great way to show students the art of embodying the voice of persuasion. These writers have to persuade the audience to think a particular destination is one of the World's greatest trips. I will select a few trips for students to read. This will be used as a model text for students to get some ideas about putting on their selling something voice and persuading the audience on why something is the best or worst. Student will highlight phrases or sentences that really stand out in persu ...more
Janet
Jan 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
A wonderful book to dream with--of where you've been and where you'd like to go. Amazingly I have been on many of the domestic trips described. Hopefully I wil be fortunate enough to spend the next 40 years visiting and experiencing some of the international places and adventures. I'll try to remember to return to this book to make plans--it's nicely organized by journeys across water, by road, by rail, on foot, in search of culture,in gourmet heaven, into the action, up and away and in their fo ...more
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: armchair travelers
Recommended to Dee Renee by: Elaine Holmes
Shelves: 2010
Before reading this book I would have never imagined there is The Great Pub Crawl in Australia where the designated driver is the pilot who flies you from pub to pub. It sounded like great fun. This is perfect gift for an armchair traveler or for the person in charge of vacation itineraries. Websites are given for each trip for more research.
Ron
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-travel
WOW, WOW & WOW!!!
If this book doesn't wake up the travel and adventure bug in you... nothing will.
So many great trips, so little time.
Nicely split up into chapters.. by water, by road, by rail & by foot. Even has the best elevator trips.
A much better book than "1,000 places to see before you die".
Aimee
Dec 17, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Wonder if the publishers considered such alternate titles like, "Oh, The Places You'll Never Go" or "Dare to Dream".
Debra Schoenberger
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This six pound reference book is a veritable guide to pretty much anyplace you want to explore and how you want to do it.  Not everyone travels the same way or wants to do the same thing so this book breaks down trips and destinations into sections that will appeal to different travelers.

Each page highlights a destination with a brief (not exhaustive) summary, advice about when to go, how long, when to plan, inside information and a list of websites to visit for more information.  There is also
Chris Hart
Not really a book to read page by page, this big volume does have some interesting tidbits about our world and how to experience it. I was sort of surprised by how many of these "world's greatest trips" I've actually taken--probably about a dozen or so, although I don't consider myself particularly well traveled.
Lindsay Clark
Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips is a thick and visual one from National Geographic Traveler that enables dreamers to dream. With brief descriptions of destinations and experiences, coupled with their ever-fantastic photography, it's hard not to pine for travel every time you open this book.
LINDA
Beautiful book with the perfect balance of written information and photos!

The journeys that appeal to me the most are on the following pages 54 The Lower Zambeizi River, 55 The Mangoky River, 73 Crossing the Andes from Bolivia to Chile, 81 The West Coast Road of New Zealand, 145 Utah/Arizonia Paria Canyon, 151 the Inca Trail, 199 Amish Country, 280 Dogsledding in Alaska, 281 Polar Bears in Canada, 294 Sea kayaking off Baja, 295Teh Belize barrier Reef, 333 Hawaii Helicoptor tour of Darden isle o
Grace
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love, love, LOVE this book. I've had it for years, and it's as fun to read on any rainy day as it is to read when planning a trip. I'm constantly dog-earing another page to add to my list of travel destinations. Half the fun is looking at the photographs, collected over the years by Nat Geo's finest. The format, divided into modes of travel (By Train, On Foot) makes what could be a very overwhelming coffee table book accessible. The Top 10 lists are also great fun (Where else would you find a ...more
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent "coffee table book". There is a trip in here for everyone who wants to travel local and internationally; by boat, plane, or foot; adventure-themed or food-themed. Very fun. The only thing I wish they could have done was given more detailed information about each trip. Logically I know that book would be 3x the size as this one, and this book is not light already-but that is what I thought was missing, more detail.
Molly
Mar 16, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Unless you are extremely lucky, extremely rich, or both, this book is a way to vicariously see places you are not likely to visit in person. It's National Geographic, so, of course the pictures are awesome. I was pleasantly surprised that I had visited some of the places mentioned, but not shocked to find that many I'd never heard of! There are minimal travel details included for each journey, but if you actually intend to take one of the trips a more in depth guide would be essential.
Francine
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this when it was newly published. The photographs are outstanding---it's National Geographic, after all.

This is a great book to reflect on during cold weather months...take yourself on a visual journey.

This book has inspired country-themed parties; I've used it to inspire a culinary themed dinner at least twice.

Highly Recommended.
Sara W.
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading is book is like traveling around the world. I love this book since it introduces places that are very beautiful and nice to visit. Also it includes here some bridges, highways and rides that you can just see it beautiful and great to stay for a while. I love also the pictures included here. Such an overwhelmed to read.
Carole
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful "coffee table book" full of ideas about places to go and things to do around the world. It's only drawback was also it's highpoint, that it didn't go into too much depth about each location. It was visually attractive as each page was one locale. For people who like to travel, or wish they could, it was a great way to get ideas about where to go and what to do.
Brian Badonde
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love to travel and I think this book is fantastic! Browsing through this beautiful book, I had to add several travel destinations to my list of places I someday want to visit. If you want some great vacation ideas, from US to exotic oversees destinations, this book will provide many. Paging through the book is also an educational opportunity to discover a bit more about places around the world.
Suyash Sengar
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a special gift from a special someone.
For a person with wanderlust,its an absolute must to have.
Excellent location picks,breathtaking images,wonderful account,Nat Geo special tips : the book is a paradise.
E. Ce Miller
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great coffee table book--I often will flip through it in a spare moment here and there...it's like taking a mini-vacation. It's also great in assisting with off-beat trip planning. This is definitely a book for travelers, not tourists.
Sruthi Raju
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I went through the whole book.. but i think i will always be going back and looking through this before every trip/vacation of mine

Its categorized so differently and it makes it more interesting and has all these new way to explore a place...

So in love with it...
Kmccart
Mar 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even when I can't travel physically, I can take "mind trips" with this fabulous book by Nat Geo. Of course, the photos are gorgeous, and it's great fun to say, "I've been there!" or "That's on my list!" when flipping through the pages.
Kathy
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the color photos. A great book that feeds my wanderlust until I can take my next trip. Very inspiring.
daniel dirnfeld
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book
Mary Jo
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This will surely give you wanderlust!
AnaΣtaΣia
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: greek, bkcs
If you adore travelling, even if sometimes it is only through imagination, you have to buy these two volumes of travel art!!
April
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There were so many trips that I didn't know existed until I read this book; now I have so many more trips to take.
sislasus
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Would have liked it better if it had fewer places and more pictures.
Melissa
May 30, 2010 marked it as reference  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, travel-ideas
[2007.12]
  • Make the Most of Your Time on Earth
  • Where To Go When (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Off the Tourist Trail: 1,000 Unexpected Travel Alternatives
  • 1000 Ultimate Experiences
  • The Practical Nomad: How to Travel Around the World
  • The Most Scenic Drives in America: 120 Spectacular Road Trips
  • The Road Less Travelled: 1,000 Amazing Places off the Tourist Trail
  • The Rough Guide First-Time Around the World: A Trip Planner for the Ultimate Journey
  • 1001 Escapes to Experience Before You Die
  • The National Parks: America's Best Idea

Journeys of a Lifetime (5 books)
  • Food Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 Extraordinary Places to Eat Around the Globe
  • Drives of a Lifetime: Where to Go, Why to Go, When to Go
  • Secret journeys of a lifetime : 500 of the world's best hidden travel gems
  • Sacred Places of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Most Peaceful and Powerful Destinations