Start by marking “The Queen’s Rising (The Queen’s Rising, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Queen’s Rising (The Queen’s Rising, #1)

The Queen’s Rising

(The Queen's Rising #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  4,852 Ratings  ·  1,068 Reviews
Alternative Cover Edition for ISBN-13 9780008245986.

Born out of wedlock, Brienna is cast off by her noble family and sent to Magnolia House - a boarding house for those looking to study the passions: art, music, dramatics, wit and knowledge. Brienna must discover her passion and train hard to perfect her skill, in the hope that she will one day graduate and be chosen by a
Published February 19th 2018 by Harper Collins (first published February 6th 2018)

Emily May
Aug 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, fantasy, young-adult, 2017
I hate giving one star to any book, especially those that didn't particularly piss me off or anything like that, but I just didn't enjoy The Queen's Rising one little bit. I think I almost died of boredom.

It feels derivative of many other YA fantasy books but that alone isn't the problem - a lot of YA fantasy authors retell the same old recycled premise and some even manage to make it exciting; breathe new life into it with colourful characters or beautiful writing. Unfortunately, though, The Qu
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

Magnalia House was the sort of establishment where only wealthy, talented girls mastered their passion. It wasn't designed for girls who were lacking, for girls who were illegitimate daughters, and certainly not for girls who defied kings. I, of course, happen to be all three of those things.

This book was everything to me! I loved it so very much. Was it full of action and fighting. No, not really and guess what? That's okay!

I have to admit when I first saw the beautiful cover I knew I had to
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
I was super into this for the first bit, then I lost interest and was kind of bored, I found all the secret identities and family dynamics and court intrigues hard to keep track of. Honestly, the last 50 or so pages I ended up skimming because I was ready for it to be done. I had hoped that the dynamics and such would really grip me, but they just didn’t. So it was good, but not great!
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Oooh man. This has some of the loveliest, most visual writing I've ever laid eyes upon. Like... every sentence.... every paragraph... was crafted so perfectly. I feel so inspired.

I feel like 90% of the time I come across pretty writing though, the plot is a bit lost. The good news? That isn't the case here. Rebecca Ross managed to create an utterly enchanting world and a rich, unique storyline that had me turning pages nonstop.

Brienna is a lovely, relatable MC who is taken to Magnolia House (t
Melanie
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

I feel like I keep reading YA SFF and just not feeling like there is anything new or unique. I went into The Queen’s Rising expecting to feel the same, especially amidst all the lower reviews I kept seeing on Goodreads, but this ended up being a treat to read. I really enjoyed this, and I was constantly surprised by the twists and turns. The only negative thing I can say is that the romance is a little on the skeezy sid
Cait • A Page with a View
Release date: February 6, 2018

I've been hoping to find more 2018 YA high fantasy books with all of the elements I love and this was a really enjoyable read! The plot description is pretty accurate, so I don't want to say anything else because that would spoil how everything gets revealed as the story goes. There are a lot of secret identities... everything is kind of predictable, but the fun is definitely in seeing how it all works out.

I really liked Brienna's character! The romance was sweet y
Yusra  ✨
“I walked mindfully, my dress swallowing the last of my childhood as it whispered over the grass. I had prepared years for this one night, I thought, and breathed in the fragrance of the summer.
Where had time gone?
There was no answer as I welcomed the solstice.”

Wasn’t that beautiful? I agree. The publisher agrees, because he/she put this quote on the back of the hardcover.
But, this was not how the whole book was written. Some parts were rough, others almost melodic; which is why my heart is
Nadhira Satria
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: high fantasy junkies
Shelves: favorites
5 BRILLIANT STARS!

OH WOW OH WOW OH WOW. IM IN LOVE. This was one of my most anticipated release and bOI it exceeded all of my expectations?? I was hooked from the very first pages, I binged half of the book in one sitting. IT WAS AMAZING.

What I liked

1.The writing
The writing is just beautiful. It's honestly so good that it made this 439 pages book felt like 200. I love it so much.

2.Brienna
The main character is compassionate yet brave and determined. We can see her developing and finding h
nat. (semi-hiatus)
“... no matter which path you choose, I will follow you, even unto darkness.”

what a stunning book!

my favorite part it’s the amount of background history, and the unexpected revelations that had me a little like this -> 😏.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“... I preferred quiet spaces and books over a room full of people.”

wow same!
Trina (Between Chapters)
Wooooowwww. I loved this so much! This started out set in a boarding school, has a touch of hidden lineage and ancestral memories, morphed into a quest to reclaim the throne and restore magic to the land, and ended with a Medieval style battle.

The writing was beautiful. There is a heavy use of simile and certain wording that I feel some readers may find repetitive, but it just worked for me so well.

My favorite thing about this is that it's not following the chosen one. Brienna does have a big ro
Joshee Kun (조수아)
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of "Divergent" and "The Queen of the Tearling"
Recommended to Joshee Kun by: Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Shelves: kindle, fantasy, favorites
I had descended from selfish, ambitious blood. And I was Norah Kavanagh's vengeance. I would redeem myself.

The Queen's Rising saved me from another frustrating reading slump. I already had high expectations because of the positive reviews written by reliable people on Goodreads, and I am happy to say that this book deserves all of the hype. In fact, it was satisfying enough that it could function as a standalone.

The Queen's Rising is like a fantastical version of Divergent, in that its first hal
✨    jamieson   ✨
“So we rise to the challenge knowing that the victory is already ours.”

The Queens Rising is getting a bit of hype here and there, and it has a wonderful cover, but this book was ultimately so disappointing for me.

books need a hook - something that makes you want to read on. This book had no hook for me. I didn't care about the characters, and the entire plot is fucking spoiled by a family tree on the first page !. So if you're gonna read this, DON'T READ THE FAMILY TREE, I BEG OF YOU. SAVE Y
Taneika
4.5 Stars

When I think of some of my all time favourite books, they either have: a) beautiful, albeit kind of flowery writing b) a slow burn plot/romance/pace or c) both.
The Queen's Rising is one of the books that fell into the "both" category and I while I don't know what I expected from this book, I didn't expect this to become one of my new favourite fantasies!

The main character, Brienna is taken to Magnolia House (a boarding school with specialised learning for one of the five 'passions': art
Emma
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This book had me by the first couple of pages. Rebecca Ross’ writing is very alluring and enchanting. Her words created a whimsical portrait of emotion, heritage and courage.

I recommend not going into this novel knowing too much, and being pleasantly drawn into to the story.
Samhita Peechara {Multi Dreamer}⚔
Absolutely bloody unbelievable. I highly recommend y'all read this because if you haven't then you're missing out on a lot of action and political intrigue which might sound boring but I promise you the plot is amazingly fantabulous. Full RTC
Crazy4Books
Queens Rising follows Brienna as she get pulled into a plot to overthrow the King of another kingdom. Thats not a spoiler since its mentionned in the summary, but I did find the Goodreads summary a bit misleading. In her kingdom people can study to become one of five passions; art, music, wit, dramatics and knowledge. After discovering she has no talent for the other passions Brienna finally settles on knowledge. Brienna was a likeable character and her struggle with her mixed heritage added som ...more
Natalie Monroe
“One day, a queen will rise,” he whispered, as if the books had ears to eavesdrop. “Perhaps it will be in our lifetime, perhaps the one to follow us. But Maevana will remember who she is and unite for a greater purpose.”

My reading experience summed up in one gif:

The Queen's Rising takes a bunch of familiar YA fantasy concepts and fails to do anything new with them. We have the bring-magic-back-into-world quest, the find-a-magical-artifact scavenger hunt, a cruel, two-dimensional usurper king,
Maggie ☘ (Reader in Wonderland)
“But your art creates a window into another world,” I said, smiling at her. “That is a true gift, to help others see the world in a different way.”

I have slightly similar feelings toward this book as I have for Ash Princess, another new release of this year. These two books have very little in common, per se, it's the fact that both of them were on the enjoyable side, just not impressive or memorable in any way. Both of them felt like a compilation of other YA fantasies.

I didn't dislike any o
el
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
✨ buddy read with christian
Mixed.
Mixed feelings are what I have for Queen's Rising.
On the one hand, I couldn’t really connect with the characters and found it a tad emotionally uninteresting, it definitely wasn’t a character-driven novel in my eyes. (which is usually what I look for in a book - hence the lower rating) And the ending bothered me, I thought it somewhat anticlimactic and VERY cheesy. But on the other, the writing was neat and original and gorgeously visual. Likewise were the idea
Sara Bow
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Was für eine Enttäuschung...bisher mein Jahresflop. Das Cover liebe ich trotzdem :P
Patry Fernandez
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: año-2018
Reseña completa -> http://thewordsofbooks.blogspot.com/2...

Lectura entretenida que consigue engancharte casi desde el comienzo... va dejando pequeñas pistas para que te mantenga intrigado y queriendo saber mas. Al comienzo puede ser un poco introductorio entre que nos hacemos a la idea de los términos, nombres y nos situamos realmente. Hay un poco de aventuras, secretos, romance y el final podría prácticamente pasar por un final autococlusivo, a pesar de que es el primer libro de una trilogía
Christian
And that's the story of that one time I went into a book expecting to hate it and came out on the other side loving it instead. I'm shook.

rtc. (view spoiler)

(Also I think this was the first book I've ever read that didn't have acknowledgements??)

* * *

Buddy-read with el, so hopefully we can motivate each other to finish this in case it gets bad and so that in case it actually does, you don't get one, but two annoyed reviews coming your way. (I'm so optimistic.) (But for re
Ashlee » Library In The Country
Love love loved this one. Can you tell? Finished in less than 24hrs. 🎊 RTC!
Sophie Elaina
Rebecca Ross, the author of The Queen's Rising walked me through a magical journey. I got lost in the beautiful writing, so much so that it actually felt like I was there, living this story alongside the main character Brienna.

Might this be my favourite book I've read so far this year? Why yes, yes I think it might. I wasn't anticipating greatness, and that's kind of funny because I never seem to be when I come across rare gems like this one. Brienna is a protagonist that I warmed to almost imme
Devin
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars and one of my favorite books of the year!

Things I loved!
-awesome plot where the main character is NOT the chosen one, but supports the chosen one!
-unique magic system with a long history and magical artifacts!
-matriarchy! Women are valued and royal!
-amazing characters with their own voices and easily distinguished.
-The history of the world is explained well.

The only thing I did not liked was that the main character didn't have a solid motivation for putting herself in danger and suppor
Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
RATING: 4.5/5

*Thank you Edelweiss and HarperCollins for allowing me to read and review this digital ARC*

The Queen's Rising takes you on an epic, magical journey to a fictional land where power and passion go hand in hand. The writing and plot dynamics will keep you hooked from begining to end. There is action, romance, beautiful descriptions and a few twists and turns. I must say Rebecca Ross really hit the nail on YA fantasy. I can't wait for the sequel!
Krissysch
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mir hat der Schreibstil wirklich gut gefallen und die Welt, in der die Geschichte spielt, ist echt toll. Besonders den Kontrast zwischen den beiden Reichen mochte ich sehr und auch die Liebesgeschichte war perfekt, nicht zu sehr im Fokus aber dennoch schön umgesetzt. Für mich war die Einführung von Magnalia House etwas zu lang und dafür der spätere Teil etwas zu kurz, aber insgesant eine wirklich gelungene Geschichte.
Angelica
Before I review this, here's some advice to future writers. If you are going to make your main character's parentage a mystery in your novel, maybe don't make the first page of said novel, a convenient family tree explicitly depicting your main character's parentage.

So, if you are going to read this book, don't look at the family tree in the beginning or a few plot twists in this novel will be pretty pointless.

That said, on to the rest of the review.

I wanted to love this book. Lord knows that I
Jodi Meadows
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well that was delightful.
Adrienne Young
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE QUEEN'S RISING is a fantastic, complex YA fantasy that hits all the sweet spots of the kingdom/rebellion tropes without feeling tired or overdone. The writing is so well seasoned, with beautiful descriptions and awesome character development. I also just kind of want the "bow to no king" tagline on, like, everything. Coffee mug, doormat, tank top, GIVE IT TO ME NOW. Highly recommend this book to lovers of YA fantasy.
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Queen's Rising (Untitled Trilogy #1) by Rebecca Ross - Restarting July 10th 2018 102 78 Jul 17, 2018 07:51PM
Perpetual YA Book...: Chapter 26-end 3 7 Apr 26, 2018 12:30AM
Perpetual YA Book...: Chapter 16-25 2 3 Apr 25, 2018 06:53PM
Perpetual YA Book...: Chapter 1-7 3 6 Apr 08, 2018 10:50AM
Perpetual YA Book...: Chapter 8-15 2 4 Apr 06, 2018 10:55PM
Uppercase YA Subs...: The Queen's Rising by Rebecca Ross 3 9 Mar 22, 2018 06:44AM
  • Even the Darkest Stars (Even the Darkest Stars #1)
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)
  • Mask of Shadows (Mask of Shadows #1)
  • Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • Sea Witch
  • The Evaporation of Sofi Snow (The Evaporation of Sofi Snow, #1)
  • Defy the Stars (Constellation, #1)
  • These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1)
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
  • Reign the Earth (The Elementae, #1)
  • The Queens of Innis Lear
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
  • Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge
  • Poison's Kiss (Poison's Kiss, #1)
**Hi friends! Thank you so much for your interest in my writing! I don't get on Goodreads often (only every now and then to rate books that I love), so if you want to get in touch with me, you can find me on Instagram @beccajross or Twitter @_RebeccaRoss or email me directly at rebeccarossauthor@gmail.com. Cheers!**

Rebecca Ross grew up in Georgia, where she continues to reside with her husband, li

The Queen's Rising (3 books)
  • The Queen's Resistance (The Queen’s Rising, #2)
  • Untitled (The Queen's Rising, #3)
“I cannot tell you what to decide, what is best," he stated. "That is for your heart to choose, Brienna. But I will say this: no matter which path you choose, I will follow you, even unto darkness.” 16 likes
“I will take and love all of you, Brienna MacQuinn, your shadows and your light, for you have challenged me; you have captivated me. And I desire no other but you.” 9 likes