Start by marking “The Kindness Advantage: Cultivating Compassionate and Connected Children” as Want to Read:
The Kindness Advantage: Cultivating Compassionate and Connected Children

The Kindness Advantage: Cultivating Compassionate and Connected Children

In homes and school communities nationwide, there is re-energized interest in the values of community, compassion, and tolerance, and in finding our way to a kinder culture—a culture that starts with our families. Headlines speak of hate crimes, intolerance, and us-versus-them divisiveness.

Recent political events have left many Americans yearning for unity, respect, and
Published September 11th 2018 by Health Communications Inc

To ask other readers questions about The Kindness Advantage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kindness Advantage

Start your review of The Kindness Advantage: Cultivating Compassionate and Connected Children
Jennifer Blankfein
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing

The world can often be harsh, and lucky for us, authors Dale Atkins PhD and Amanda Salzhauer, MSW are giving all families a leg up with tips and ideas for how to be kind in their new book, The Kindness Advantage, Cultivating Compassionate and Connected Children. Based on research, this guide provides ways for adults to nurture kindness in our children, teaching them from a young age to be empathetic, compassionate fulfilled people.

According to authors Atkins and Salzhauer, The 10 Fundamentals of
Alicia Bayer
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a short, helpful book for parents of young children to help them raise children who are kind, compassionate and giving. While a bit slow to start, it goes on to give lots of helpful advice for subjects like:

How to answer difficult questions or respond to seemingly rude behavior like staring at a stranger with a disability.

How to model kindness and encourage kids to act kindly towards others.

How to teach children self care and mindfulness.

How to encourage children to embrace diversity and
Tom Law
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No one can deny that one of the things this world needs more of is kindness. Evidently, we are hardwired to be kind. The authors point out studies with infants which demonstrate a propensity to be kind. Along the way we “grow out of it”. We begin to mimic the cruel world around us as we see it lived out in the lives of those with whom we relate. This is were parents play a pivotal role. Since infant’s and toddler’s world revolves around their parents, those parents are uniquely positioned to ...more
Kat Ayres
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great, relatively short book on teaching kids how to be kind. A lot of the books core concepts Ive luckily already been encorporating into my parenting. My son is exposed to a great variety of people and experiences. Hes already doing a great job of being a kind human being, but this gave me a lot of new ideas and ways to encourage his already kind nature. I love the idea of instilling a sense of volunteerism in kids, whether by bringing kids along to volunteer opportunities or showing ...more
Myung Jin Lee
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In times of discord and polarization, kindness is a family value that can often be overlooked and underestimated. But, in truth, few parental responsibilities carry more weight -- and bring more joy -- than teaching children the power of flexing their own kindness muscles. Steeped in research and brimming with practical tips, The Kindness Advantage provides parents with a blueprint for nurturing empathy in young children, while offering real-life stories that both instruct and inspire. This is a ...more
Naila
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
With optimism and compassion, The Kindness Advantage offers practical tips and real-world examples parents and educators need to teach empathy, compassion, and kindness to our children. Along the way, it also provides opportunities to reflect on our values and experiences as adults. This book speaks to the innate desire of every child to be good to themselves and those around them. Dale Atkins and Amanda Salzhauer make the case for kindness as the tool to radically transform our children’s ...more
Susan Sparks
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Kindness Advantage is the ray of hope that we all need in this harsh, heavy, world. It is a blueprint of how to partner with the next generation to live our inherent values, to tap our organic ability to love, and to create a kinder culture. Many thanks to Dale Adkins and Amanda Salzhauer for bringing this much-needed gift to the world!
Mary Jane McArthur
Repetitive

Good if have children but repetitive for me. A little slow reading but good content. Good starter book. Easy read.
Corinne Rodrigues
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it

I found this book a thoughtful and relevant guide for parents seeking to nurture kindness in their children. With it's very practical approach and suggestions, this book is a great resource for parents and other adults working with children.
I received an ARC of the book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Amy Bell
Thank you NetGalley for letting me read this book for my honest opinion and review. This is a pretty basic, straightforward book with practical ideas to teach your children how to be kind. The personal stories were a nice added touch. The ideas are nothing earth shattering but if done with the right heart and enough people did them it could change the world around them. It was a but dry in parts and slow going but overall a decent read.
Jenn
May 29, 2019
Amanda
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Inspiring and helpful.

I read a lot of parenting books but this one was something special. I enjoyed their practical, pragmatic advice about teaching kids to be kind.

Many thanks to NetGalley, the author, and the publisher for my ARC. All opinions are my own.
Janet
Claire Rathburn
Jun 11, 2019
Kate
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book that teaches parents how to raise kind and empathetic children. So many of today's problems would be solved if people could just be kind. You don't have to always sure with people or like what they do to be nice. This book teaches that concept well and helps brainstorm ways for kids to serve while young and create life habits of serving and being kind to others.

I'm excited to utilize the knowledge learned in this book to help teach my children!
Ashlee Dixel
Silvina
Jun 27, 2019
Laura Schroff
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This enormously insightful book provides an inspiring and fundamental blueprint on how kindness can and should be taught to children. It provides essential ways to have conversations with your children on how to be kind. The Kindness Advantage reinforces how considerate and kind behavior can be life-changing and life lasting for children to help make the world a better place.

- Laura Schroff, #1 New York Times and internationally bestselling author of An Invisible Thread
Katarina
Dec 24, 2018
Lalat Champati
is currently reading it
Dec 27, 2018

• The Toxic Parents Survival Guide: Recognizing, Understanding, and Freeing Yourself from These Difficult Relationships
  • The Light in the Hallway
  • The Christmas Pact
  • How to Raise a Reader
  • The Human Lie Detector and the Hunkiest Hunk (The Campbell and the One: Origins, #1)
  • The Milkman's Son: A Memoir of Family History, a DNA Mystery, and a Story of Paternal Love
  • Yours, for Probably Always: Martha Gellhorn's Letters of Love and War 1930-1949
  • Book Love
  • What Unbreakable Looks Like
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • Anger Is My Middle Name: A Memoir
  • 3-Minute Devotions for Mommy and Me: Encouraging Readings for Parents and Kids Ages 3-7
  • Getting through What You Can't Get Over: Stories, Tips, and Inspiration to Help You Move Past  Your Pain into Lasting Freedom
  • Essential Oils for the Whole Body: The Dynamics of Topical Application and Absorption
  • 52 Uncommon Ways to Unwind Together: A Couple's Guide to Relaxing, Refreshing, and De-Stressing
  • The Little Women Cookbook: Tempting Recipes from the March Sisters and Their Friends and Family
  • The "I Love My Instant Pot®" Anti-Inflammatory Diet Recipe Book: From Orange Ginger Salmon to Apple Crisp, 175 Easy and Delicious Recipes That Reduce Inflammation
  • A Prairie Girl's Faith: The Spiritual Legacy of Laura Ingalls Wilder