Start by marking “The Infinite Game” as Want to Read:
The Infinite Game

The Infinite Game

Do you know how to play the game you're in?

In finite games, like football or chess, the players are known, the rules are fixed, and the endpoint is clear. The winners and losers are easily identified.

In infinite games, like business or politics or life itself, the players come and go, the rules are changeable, and there is no defined endpoint. There are no winners or
Published October 15th 2019 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about The Infinite Game, please sign up.
Boni Aditya This is more like, him trying to adapt the "Fixed and Variable" mindsets proposed by Carol Dweck in her book "MINDSET".

This book also have…more

This book also have similarities to other theories proposed by many other author. All that being said, I seriously doubt if it is as original as Simon Sinek's previous works, i.e. Leaders Eat Last or Start with Why.

I think the author is running out of steam and original ideas!(less)

Start your review of The Infinite Game
Mehrsa
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I was going to avoid reading this book and I knew I was going to fail to avoid reading this book because these sorts of books are my weakness. I did not like for the same reason I knew I was not going to like it: it's a book full of cherrypicked stories of success and failure that tries to tie up a theory into a neat binary that shows how to fail and how to succeed. In this book, it's about infinite games vs. finite games. And the same stories of success: apple vs. microsoft, Blockbuster vs. ...more
s e a n
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a review of the book and not the concept. And full disclosure: I’m a Simon Sinek stan and I have been powerfully moved by Start With/Find Your Why and it was a catalyst for wholesale review of my leadership approach. Leaders Eat Last was similarly inspiring.

The concept of infinite rather than finite games is compelling. The first chapter adequately explains finite and infinite games, explains what a just cause is and how to measure/identify it. This is where the great concept is let
kartik narayanan
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a good book which takes the concept of finite/infinite games to organizations and their leaders. While I never felt like putting it down even once, in retrospect, I think most of what Simon Sinek wanted to say, could have been said in less than fifty pages. But I guess that is par for the course. And I am happy I started off 2020 with this book.
Tõnu Vahtra
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got the first warning with Find Your WHY that Sinek's "best before" might be passing but I ignored this warning hoping to find something at the level of Start with WHY or Leaders Eat Last, but this book does not reach to that level. I was annoyed by the fact how the author was conflicting with his own preaching (tolerance and seeking synergies) when coming back again and again to criticize Jack Welch (General Motors), Microsoft (while over-idealizing Apple), Collins and others. In some cases ...more
Seth Davis
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'll give this book a rather generous 4 stars. It starts slow and seemingly as pure author conjecture. Basically, the point is that it if you only focus on the near-term results you'll lose over the long term. It's a concept you want to believe in. However, for the first half of the book, there is little support for the case. In the second half, there are stronger anecdotes as evidence to point out why people want to be involved. To no one's surprise Apple shows up large in the long term vision ...more
Alexander Rivas
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books-read
This is such a well-timed book for the internship I have right now because I can see how the company is playing the game they are in. All the case studies in this book reinforce the idea of having an approach to the business your in as an infinite game. This goes contrary to what most businesses do and what seems logical, that nothing lasts forever and milk it for all its worth. Plus you add variables like pleasing the shareholders who seek appreciation and dividends on their investments, and ...more
Daniel Araújo
Dec 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Sinek had an interesting idea, one that is worth exploring: finite VS infinite games. The first chapter covers it. All the rest are stories trying to fit a loose framework built to make it a book. It should be a (very good) medium post, in my view.
Boni Aditya
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: leadership, corporate
So, Simon Sinek decides to publish yet another book about Leadership. No Wonder! His last book - Leaders Eat Last is an epic.
His stories reminded of moral science stories that were told over and over again in our childhood. To push us down the path of morality, ethics etc...

But there is a stark difference between his previous works and this one, though the content remains the same i.e. Leadership and Professional Ethics! His examples used to be extremely well picked, and apt for the concept
Mihkel Pukk
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
I put it down about a 3rd of a way in, didn't finish.
I wanted to like it. I like to watch Simon's talks at conferences.
I saw him talk about the concept 2 year ago and loved it, still do.

But he lost me already on the second paragraph of the book.
I like the opposing concepts of infinite and finite mind sets. I like how it adds another layer to the Why. But for some reason he decided that the Why and the 'just cause' (driver behind infinite mind set) are totally different things. I didn't get that.
Jacob Edwards
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sinek gives powerful and encouraging words to addressing the tension felt in profit driven leadership and argues for a human centered mindset that orbits around vision and mission, what he calls a "Just Cause". This book is for you if you ever longed or dreamed to be a different type of leader who does more than excel at corporate growth, but to be a leader who moves others to the most good.

I highly recommend The Infinite Game by Simon Sinek.
Gregory Koberger
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I heard about this a lot on twitter and wanted to give it a try. Like many business books, it uses the formula of taking a simple premise and attributing the success of every successful company to simply following the title of the book. It probably could have been a tweet stream more than a book, but overall it was still a pretty good read (and I definitely like the premise overall, even if it’s a bit simplistic).
Maree Kimberley
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved the ideas in this book, & plan on re-reading it so I can absorb more. Especially now withbthe climate challenges facing our world, an infinite mindset is imperative.
Jill Martinez
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommenf, air
A must read for leaders. The Infinite Game provides a new lens to see the world. I listened to this book and it was as easy to listen to as a Malcom Gladwell podcast.
Mariana Macedo
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Our lives are finite, but life is infinite. We are the finite players in the infinite game of life. We come and go, we’re born and we die, and life still continues with us or without us. There are other players, some of them are our rivals, we enjoy wins and we suffer losses, but we can always keep playing tomorrow (until we run out of the ability to stay in the game). And no matter how much money we make, no matter how much power we accumulate, no matter how many promotions we’re given, none ...more
Russ
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would best describe this as a whiny rant against the modern incarnation of capitalism and the psycho and sociopaths that run them. Sinek does well to differentiate between the finite game of business with clear cut winners and losers and the infinite game played by long term visionaries who take a more nuanced look at capitalism. Milton Friedman and Wall Street come off roughly as the villians in the new form (according to the author) of share price maximization and management compensation ...more
Maddie Nastase
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's good to have you back, Simon!
Scott Wozniak
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sinek is a great writer, so the ideas are clear and flow smoothly from one to the other. But what's better than the skill is the power of the big idea. Playing a finite game means thinking short-term, that in order for me to win others have to be cut down, and being too narrow in your measure of success. But when you play the infinite game, then there is still competition, but it's the spurring on of worthy rivals (who are often friends) and building for the long-term, etc.

The general
Stuart Ashenbrenner
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
Simon Sinek's books on leadership are the BEST there are. This one is no exception. Any book he writes, I will read. They're all on the top of my list of leadership books, along with John Wooden.
Jacob
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great read from Simon Sinek. I'm a huge Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action fan and while I liked Leaders Eat Last to me it wasn't nearly as good. Still well written just not as life-changing.

The Infinite Game is very applicable and actionable. At first, I was a little concerned that the book was going to become repetitive and overly exhaustive. Afterall how many different ways can you tell the reader to focus on the long term and not the short term?

But it turns
Pete
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
My sense is this a book worth reading, the concept of infinite verses finite games useful. The book does a good job framing and mapping a complex mathematical topic to the topic of business leadership.

The book looses a star as I know of or were close friends with people who knew or worked for a few of the protagonists mentioned. The description of Apple verses Microsoft misses a lot of the tussles, steps and frankly blind luck involved on both sides.

At the end of day do I recommend it? Yes.

Why?
Rajiv Srinivasan
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
For avid business and management readers, this book will seem both obvious, and preachy. Sinek is a gifted story teller and I enjoyed the segments on the seed bank, CVS’s bold move to stop selling cigarettes, and a few other notable corporate moves.
But Sinek is not a PhD researcher. He doesn’t actually have a background as a corporate operator, and both these gaps were very apparent in this book...to me at least.
He’s not wrong; his thesis is quite correct... but it’s a little...obvious; and an
Annie
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The concept of Infinite Game applies to situations where there is no end, no true winners or losers. A company claiming to be the "best" is subjective. And being the best according to their own measurement doesn't ensure the longevity of the company. A leader who play the Infinite Game is a steward of the company. It's not just about his/her career in the company but also that the company is robust enough that it will be around for future generations. Leaders who play the Infinite Game know to ...more
Jim Keating
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a really good business book that will challenge your way of looking at teams, profits and relationships at work. It does contradict some old school thinking so I was a bit uncomfortable with the author trashing Milton Friedman, the capitalist icon. I think Sinek's ideas are very much free market and relational and positive for probably every organization. To think of a journey of infinite and sustained success rather than quarterly focus on profits is a good thing. Being retired myself, ...more
Igor Đukić
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: accf-7-business
My favorite parts :)

Simply put: the responsibility of business is to use its will and resources to
1. advance a cause greater than itself,
2. protect the people and places in which it operates and
3. generate more resources so that it can continue doing all those things for as long as possible.

So how are we to find the courage to change our mindset?
- We can wait for a life-altering experience that shakes us to our core and challenges the way we see the world.
- Or we can find a Just Cause that
AJ Payne
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Audiobook.

I found this one to be really inspirational. I know a lot of these books are pretty similar in talking about the same ways to be a leader that are meant to inspire, but not all of them hit you the same way - this one really worked for me. Perhaps it’s the time I’m reading it, as I’m developing my own identity as a leader, or maybe it’s just really that good and inspirational, but either way I read it at the right time and am able to put some of the ideas and practices into action right
Joshua
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My bosses need to read this book.

Several years ago, the school district I worked for had a superintendent who asked all the leaders in the district to read It Starts With Why. Unfortunately, to use the terminology of this book, the school board is filled with Finite mindsets, and his contract was not renewed. He was replaced with someone who does not think the same way.

The current administration should read this book immediately.
Abhi Yerra
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Simon Sinek and his last book Leaders Eat Last, I thought was one of the best business books ever explaining why society is as it is. The Infinite Game is more a practical book on how to transform your and your organization’s goals to be infinite minded versus finite minded. Overall a good follow up but it is becoming tired that all business books use the SEALs and FAANG companies for many examples.
Robert
The authors ideas are great. His explanations are clear and delivers well. I work in big box retail and it was honestly too depressing to hear his description of Finite thinking and the problems it creates as I watch it everyday at work. While I would love to incorporate his theory of Infinite thinking, I am far too low on the totem pole to effect change. Maybe I’ll try again when I’m in a better place and this does not ring so true and leave me feeling so helpless.
Roy Peek
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good read and concept is there how so we all serve that Just Cause and our on personal WHY.

The hard part is getting your organization and your team to also follow that Just Cause. With the measurements by any organization being finite in some cases it is difficult to always play the infinite game. That is where your leadership comes in. As leaders we all have an influence on how we act for any situation and how we act can and will influence others to the infinite game.

Play the infinite game
dcrystalj
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
Really hard to go through.

It is very business related book. Maybe this book will be for you if you are entrepreneur or CEO. Specially first half of the book is boring, the other has some interesting stories how companies behaved based on ethics and their mindset.

Another thing that bothered me is how it praised Steve Jobs to the stars. Like he and Apple was the best example of Infinite mindset, which I still don't agree is true.

Book is good reminder to behave ethically as employee or CEO. Do
CERRA Book Club: Chapters 3-5 1 3 Feb 20, 2020 05:47AM

• Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • Messengers: Who We Listen To, Who We Don't, and Why
  • Nine Lies About Work: A Freethinking Leader’s Guide to the Real World
  • Leadership Strategy and Tactics: Field Manual
  • Loonshots: How to Nurture the Crazy Ideas That Win Wars, Cure Diseases, and Transform Industries
  • Loserthink: How Untrained Brains Are Ruining America
  • Amazon: How the World's Most Relentless Retailer Will Continue to Revolutionize Commerce
  • The Introvert's Complete Career Guide: From Landing a Job, to Surviving, Thriving, and Moving on Up
  • Trailblazer: The Power of Business as the Greatest Platform for Change
  • The 3-Minute Rule: Say Less to Get More from Any Pitch or Presentation
Simon Sinek is an optimist. He believes in a bright future and our ability to build it together.

Described as “a visionary thinker with a rare intellect,” Sinek teaches leaders and organizations how to inspire people. With a bold goal to help build a world in which the vast majority of people go home everyday feeling fulfilled by their work, Sinek is leading a movement to inspire people to do the
“To ask, “What’s best for me” is finite thinking. To ask, “What’s best for us” is infinite thinking.” 4 likes
“leaders are not responsible for the results, leaders are responsible for the people who are responsible for the results. And the best way to drive performance in an organization is to create an environment in which information can flow freely, mistakes can be highlighted and help can be offered and received.” 3 likes