Start by marking “Don Quixote and the Windmills” as Want to Read:
Don Quixote and the Windmills

Don Quixote and the Windmills

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  80 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
A self-proclaimed knight

Señor Quexada has read so many books about knights in shining armor that he thinks he is one. He gives himself a name more fitting for a knight -- Don Quixote -- and sets off one evening with his squire. At dawn they come across what Don Quixote recognizes as an army of monstrous giants. "Master!" cries Sancho Panza. "They are only windmills!" But D
Published April 2nd 2004 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Don Quixote and the Windmills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don Quixote and the Windmills

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes SaavedraThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanThe Mill on the Floss by George EliotNorfolk's Windmills By River, Road And Rail by Luke BonwickThe Miller's Daughter by Margaret Dickinson
Windmills
78 books — 12 voters
The Story of Ferdinand by Munro LeafSpoils of the Moon by Mark ShearmanAsterix in Spain by René GoscinnyExpats in Spain by Mark ShearmanFlip Flop Flamenco by Mark Shearman
Spain
38 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Friend of Pixie (F.O.P.)
Logan is 6.5 and very much involved with knights and the ideas of chivalry, good guys/bad guys, and the trappings and weapons of the era. Also, we've been reading lots of folk tales to give him a good basis for cultural references and mores. Kimmel's retelling of the main Don Quixote story for early grade school age is charming and funny. Fisher's illustrations are terrific; colorful and full of expression, my favorite being one that shows the windmills as huge and the charging Don Quixote and S ...more
Katie
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lit-for-the-kids
My kids (ages 8,6, and 3) really liked this short children's retelling of a famous silly adventure of Don Quixote. I thought the illustrations were very good, and if you throw an accent in there during their dialogue, it is even more fun to read aloud. :) I always enjoy/appreciate good children's books that introduce them to classic characters and literature.
Brenda
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
It may be hard to engage students into history, but this book is engaging and hilarious that they will be engaged without even knowing that they are learning history. Don Quixote a warrior does not know that word giving up, always fights and works hard for what he wants. I feel that students could see him as heroic or as a learning guide.
Amy
Nov 19, 2012 rated it liked it
I love the book Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, and I thought that this children's version that retells Don Quixote's battle with the windmills would be a great way to introduce my niece to this famous literary character, and a great way to give my nephew a funny story about knights.

My niece enjoyed this book quite a bit. She was laughing at Don Quixote's misadventure and Sancho Panza's attempts to protect Don Quixote from himself. My nephew, though, wasn't all that impressed. I thi
Kandace
Jan 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: latino-american
Eric Kimmel's version of Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra's Don Quixote is charming and humorous. Young children will appreciate the antics of Senor Quexada. After reading many books about knights in shining armor, he thinks he has become one and renames himself Don Quixote de la Mancha. Along with his trusty sidekick, Sancho Panza, they set forth on their adventure of fighting evil.
Arica Newcom
This is a great book to use with young readers. It introduces a classic character in an easy to read format with great picture support. It would be great to use with a history lesson where students can research the history of Don Quixote and where his story began.
Mick
Nov 03, 2011 rated it liked it
It was kind of funny when Don Quixote tried to attack the windmill. The farmer tried to stop him but Don Quixote got caught in the ropes of the windmill. That was interesting because he didn't recognize that it was a windmill until after, then he said a wizard turned them into windmills.
Matthew
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
The abridgment of the story is more than made up for by the wonderful illustrations in this book.
Apee
Feb 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 2 and up
vary funny it's just like the movie but better because you can Imagen it
Josette
Aug 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Good picture book into. to the story.
Joshua Piorier
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jrs-books
My son thought this story was hilarious and what better way to introduce them to classic literature without them even knowing?!
Cosette
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fabulous - my 12 year old overheard me reading this and it piqued his interest. I'm gonna pull out my recording of this one. Dulcinea!
Amy
Jan 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-books
This picture book exposes children to the original story of DON QUIXOTE quite well. I enjoyed reading it; I found it humorous. Quixote and Sancho are such endearing characters.
Lacy
Mar 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Easy read-aloud introduction to Don Quixote's battle with the windmills.
Lindsey
Jan 24, 2013 rated it liked it
A good introduction to Don Quizote de la Mancha and his faithful squire, Sancho.
Tnb
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
a kimmel greatness again. combine it with some informationn about spain, or about castles and knights
Kim
Nov 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: spain
Adaptation good for read aloud. Interesting biographical note about Cervantes.
Callan Fromm
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: r-y3
Tremendously entertaining illustrations and witty writing!
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
It was an ok retelling, but the illustrations deserve a 4-- great use of perspective in some of them!
Teri
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
GREAT introduction to this classic book!
Yarb
Nov 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, kids-books
Nicely-written kids' (say 3 to 10) version of the intro and first adventure of DQ.
Nayira
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
It was funny to re-read this after all these years and practice it as a play with one of my students but I actually have never liked this character.
Denny
Sep 03, 2009
Ozma Cosmo
Apr 30, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Eric A. Kimmel was born in Brooklyn, NY in 1946. He attended PS 193, Andries Hudde Junior High School, and Midwood High School. Brooklyn College was across the street from his high school, so he didn’t want to go there. He headed west, to Easton, Pennsylvania where he graduated from Lafayette College in 1967 with a bachelor’s degree in English literature.
Eric worked as an elementary school teache
More about Eric A. Kimmel