Start by marking “Synthetic Love” as Want to Read:
Synthetic Love

Synthetic Love

Alan Shaden may look like your average Tinder crush – 6’2”, dark hair, dark eyes, dimples – but with his rugged exterior comes a soft and battered heart, and his biggest secret (literally), which he keeps hidden in the back of his closet.

Alan doesn’t stop to think he’s a sex addict until a therapist deems him one, but that’s right before they have sex in her office. Alan

To ask other readers questions about Synthetic Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Synthetic Love

Scott Laudati
Christina Hart is one of my favorite poets so I was super stoked when she sent me a copy of her novel to read. Synthetic Love rules. It's a story about love, chivalry, girlfriends, deception, addiction and ultimately, sex with a doll. Not at all like that movie. This story is fresh, a little funny, a little more sad.
J.R. Rogue
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Synthetic Love is a tale of a man searching for love and comfort in any place he can find it. Alan is broken in many ways due to many unfortunate incidents in his formative years. He seems to make wrong turns at every pass and I felt for her him. I’ve been that person. He confuses sex and love. He obsesses and hurts. The path to happiness for many of us isn’t traditional and I found that to be so relatable. Reading Synthetic Love felt like listening to Alan’s confessions. His diary. He deserves ...more
Talon
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
"I never realized how hollow she was. Sabrina, the silicone sex doll. Her eyes, they look empty. Lifeless. Worn. And it's only in that moment that I wonder if she sees the same thing in mine."

Oddly enough, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I am not quite sure what that says about me but it really worked for me. When I finished the book I felt so...empty. A good type of empty. An empathetic one. An empty like Alan felt, and emptiness that I wanted so bad to be full but I just knew it wouldn't be. A
Alicia Cook
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have always wondered how some writers can create whole universes, worlds, in their head and translate their visions onto paper in a way that makes these fictional places not just fully developed, but supremely real to the reader (ex: I still wish I could live in a place like Stars Hollow).

Christina Hart is one of those writers who create magic out of thin air, in both her poetry and her novels. She dreams up these alternate realities that are familiar to us, but also just one step into the biz
Erika Santoro
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"And this is the problem. All of this. With people. With real, living, breathing people. They will never understand you. Could never understand you. Most won't take the time to try. Most will throw you away before they even have a chance to get to any of the layers underneath. I think I have layers. Maybe not. Maybe people aren't as fucked up as I am. Maybe they all are. Maybe everyone thinks of themselves the same way I do. Maybe we all sit home alone at night sometimes wondering if anyone out
Cynthia Rodriguez
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have to say, I was a little surprised to learn, after devouring this novel, that Christina is a poet. Let me explain why:
This book, while it is such a strong, and at times jarring piece of work, doesn't have even a hint of that melodic writing that most poets can't help but inject in their stories.
This is one of the greatest compliments that I can give: Christina Hart is a chameleon of a writer. She wrote Alan like a fucking champion; brilliantly and fearlessly.
Fans of YOU by Caroline Kepnes w
Naroba
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don’t even know where to start. The writing is captivating. Hooked me from the first sentence. Alan’s voice is amazing. I couldn’t stop reading until I had to sleep and the first thing I did when I woke up was open the book to continue the story. I needed to know what was going to happen with Alan. The ending was not what I expected, but it works. Amazing read.
Sara Lucinda
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have read two beautiful poetry books by Christina Hart this year. From my experience, novels written by poets will gut you, since they are filled with poetic, raw emotion.

This one was no exception, except for the fact that Hart didn’t waste any sentences. She didn’t write in flowery words. She was direct and unsympathetic in her storytelling, meaning she told it like it was. Alan’s life was like a train-wreck that you couldn’t look away from, both past and present.

Poor Alan, our protagonist,
Christy Aldridge
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, tragic, and bittersweet.

I was sent an ARC for an honest review.

I've been a big fan of Christina Hart for a couple of years now. Long before I knew her, I was a fan of her poetry. I knew she was a very strong voice and that resonated with me immediately. Then she released a book under the title "
Miss Meliss Reads
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was uh-maz-ing! I was hooked from the blurb alone. This book was so different from any book I have ever read. I laughed. I cried. I felt every ounce of Alan’s pain, even though I have never been through anything remotely close to what he went through. Seriously do yourself a favor and read this book!
Anna Corniffe
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Synthetic Love speaks to our ugly human parts. It's a story of love and self understanding. It brings the reader face to face with the truth that we are products of our pasts and all the people who have come in and out of our lives. Hart has done a beautiful job of writing a story that showcases the reality of humanity and emotions and choices. Her gift of crafting relatable characters shined through in this book. Loved it!
Shannon O'Connor
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I have to be honest, I didn’t expect to like this book as much as I did. I was highly skeptical, but I went into it with an open mind because Christina Hart is one of my favorite poets. It starts off pretty normal, and you automatically feel bad for the main character Alan. He’s going through stuff and clearly looking for comfort and love in the wrong places. Hart keeps your interest because every time you think it’ll work out for him, he gets to be happy, a wrench is thrown into the plans. Plus ...more
Chasity
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
'Synthetic Love' was not a typical read, which is one of the reasons I was drawn to it. I like to read a wide variety of books and this one was not a disappointment. It was not a typical love story and I loved it. Not only was the story engaging and the characters beautifully created, but I also think it shed light on some darker issues a lot of people deal with. There is really something about Christina's writing that just pulls you in and keeps you there glued to it. Great book and I recommend ...more
Brit
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it

This is my first read of any kind by this author I was kind of impressed. The reason why i gave this 3.5 stars was because i couldn't really fully connect to the characters. The writing was great. the words flew by, it was a fast read. But i couldn't for the life of me connect and picture the characters. If this author wrote another novel I'll give it another try it.
Kimberley Hatch
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I tried to prolong the inevitable, but unfortunately I had to finish this book. I’m happy and sad and a little empty all at once. I want to stay in Alan’s head. He said a lot of things that will stay with me long after today.
Felicia
Tianna✸loves books✸
Aug 10, 2018 marked it as pass
Shelves: 2018
WTH is this?
The blurb sounds weird and also.....unique.
I would love to read the reviews for this book.
Who knows I might read this one ;)
Shelly Tooley