Start by marking “Frostbite (Ivy Granger, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Frostbite (Ivy Granger, #0.5)

Frostbite

(Ivy Granger 0.5)

This prequel short story is the perfect introduction to the award-winning Ivy Granger Psychic Detective urban fantasy series. Winner of the Imadjinn Award for Best Short Story.

Everyone knows that there's no such thing as ghosts, but when a client claims that her house is being haunted, Ivy tries to keep her mind open and her weapons handy. If her psychic gifts and recent c
Published March 6th 2018 by Sacred Oaks Press

To ask other readers questions about Frostbite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frostbite

Sinisa Mikasinovic
It's hard to imagine that people exist today who don't believe private investigators are anything but grumpy ex-cops disappointed in life and/or the system. Makes it tricky to try and come up with an original P.I. character.

One of the possible escape avenues is to make the lead a female and throw all the assumptions overboard. Works well for me. I still don't have a female P.I. stereotype formed.

Is it a girl? Is it a boy? We will never know ;-)

I also never know what I'm going to find in such boo
Montzalee Wittmann
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great prequel

Frostbite by E. J. Stevens is a great short paranormal prequel about a psychic. Just have read a couple of her books and enjoy them. This a a quick but good intro.
angela
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this short introduction. An excellent, creepy introduction to the Ivy Granger Detective series. She sees all the things of our nightmares, all the things we can't see living amongst us. Ivy and partner Jinx they work to help people, with all things paranormal, unusual and strange. I loved how the Author started this book right in the first couple pages. It had me laughing. It did get serious quickly.

So Ivy is the one with second sight, the ability to see through the different magics, li
Marta Cox
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh my this incredibly short prequel really caught my attention. It's what I'd describe as proper urban fantasy with lots of paranormal elements thrown in. Set in Maine but in a town that's anything but ordinary. Ivy is the rather unique detective with gifts of her own that the author brings to life in a rather gruesome way. This is perfect for a quick read but it has wet my appetite for more and yes that pun is intended !
I'm actually going to rate this high even though it's very quickly over bec
Melanie
My review and an extended sample of the audiobook are posted at Hotlistens.com.

So, this is a very short story (28 minute audiobook, 31 pages). It is set in the world of Ivy Granger, Psychic Detective. It takes place before the start of the series, so Jinx is the only character other we have, but she is a fun one.

So, Ivy and Jinx have their detective business. A woman comes in and tell them her house is haunted, but everyone knows there’s no such thing as ghosts. But, Ivy goes to investigate.

I ca
PJ Lea
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a seriously creepy story and a great introduction to the world of Ivy Granger. It raised the hairs on the back of my neck.
Darrell Grizzle
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A haunted house story with a bite! This short story serves as a good introduction to the world of Ivy Granger, Psychic Detective. E.J. Stevens crosses over the line from urban fantasy to horror at times, in the very best way. You'll find this story as compulsively readable and entertaining as the full-length novels in this series.
Andreas Flögel
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: if-bb, pub
Surprisingly gritty!

For me this was the first story in E.J. Stevens Ivy Granger series I read. It certainly will not be the last.

Ivy is a psychic detective and if this one is an example of the cases she has to deal with, then one has to brace oneself for some really gritty stuff.

Nevertheless, from what I could see in this short story, Ivy seems to be a nice person, one I would like to follow on other adventures. Luckily I already have "Shadow Sight" on my tbr pile.

As an additional remark: sinc
Silver Surfer
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is exactly the same as all the other Ivy Granger books I have read, bloody brilliant! Cannot get enough of them. Roll on the next one. Magic etc etc, what’s not to like. Very highly recommended must read.
Stephanie
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-copy, own-it, novella
This is an awesome taste ;) of the series. I am looking forward to continuing to the first book.

I was gifted an ARC in return of an honest review.
Kanyon
Compelling short story.

Wow. The wonderful writing of this book drew me in and left me wanting lots more Ivy Granger and her spooky cases. Usually with short prequels, I'm left with feeling a little unsatisfied, but the author wrote a compelling story with great world building and an end that felt complete. I can't wait to explore what Ivy gets up to in the rest of the series.

Frostbite is the prequel to the Ivy Granger series.

Final Rating: 5 Stars

Frostbite (Ivy Granger, #0.5) by E.J. Stevens Shadow Sight (Ivy Granger, #1) by E.J. Stevens Blood and Mistletoe (Ivy Granger, #1.5) by E.J. Stevens Ghost Light (Ivy Granger, #2) by E.J. Stevens Club Nexus (Ivy Granger, #2.5) by E.J. Stevens Burning Bright (Ivy Granger, #3) by E.J. Stevens Birthright (Ivy Granger, #4) by E.J. Stevens Hound's Bite (Ivy Granger, #5) by E.J. Stevens Blood Rite (Ivy Granger, #6) by E.J. Stevens Watertight (Ivy Granger, #7) by E.J. Stevens Dressed in White (Ivy Granger, #8) by E.J. Stevens Raven's Flight (Ivy Granger, #9) by E.J. Stevens

Boxset --> Ivy Granger Psychic Detective Box Set by E.J. Stevens Tales from Harborsmouth (Ivy Granger, #0.5, #1.5, #2.5, #5.5) by E.J. Stevens
Diana in SC
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
5 stars, 5 narration, 4 writing
A creepy and fun prequel to this urban fantasy series

I loved it and found it to be very entertaining. I would say that it is suitable for teens and up. It has a creepy, macabre scene that reminds me of the kind of scary stories that Neil Gaiman writes. I also love the fun, cozy interaction between Ivy Granger, psychic detective, and her best friend/co-worker Jinx. This prequel story has made me excited to listen to the rest of the Ivy Granger series audiobooks for
Melissa Hayden
*I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.

Melanie has been a voice of Ivy Grangers for several books and slips right back into character for this short story. It flows with a pacing that fits the story and the few events that happen. It's clear in listening.

Oh. It took me a moment to connect the title to the short story. I get it.

This story is quick. I didn't even realize it was 28 minutes (listening wise) when it was over. It's a case that
Megan (ReadingRover)
This was such a fun quick read. It’s a great way to get into the series if you haven’t started it yet. Ivy Granger is a supernatural detective along with her partner Jinx. They get called on for all sorts of wild cases. This one in particular was pretty interesting. I don’t want to give anything away but the end result was definitely not what I was expecting. The narrator definitely fit Ivy’s character and worked well for the book. Overall I really enjoyed this short story. I can’t wait to get i ...more
Sapphyria
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I originally read Frostbite in the Tales of Harborsmouth short story collection and in the Ivy Granger Psychic Detective Box Set/Omnibus.

FROSTBITE (Ivy Granger #0.5)

A wonderful start to the series finds Ivy and Jinx investigating claims of a haunted house. What they find is far more terrifying. I enjoyed this short story very much. I've read everything in the Ivy Granger, Psychic Detective series and love how the stories and characters just keep evolving.

I have enjoyed the world of Ivy Granger s
Morven
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: supernatural
I've been wanting to check out the Ivy Granger series for ages, but just never got around to it, so when I saw this prequel, I had to go for it. It's short enough* that I didn't have to worry that it would get put on the back burner because a deadline suddenly came up.

The opening pulls you in as it describes the town Harborsmouth, the setting of the story. The touches of dry humor throughout are welcome and well-done.

Good introduction to the world of Ivy Granger. I'm looking forward to reading
RJ
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Frostbite is a very short and disturbing introduction to the Ivy Granger psychic detective series. In this brief episode Ivy is asked by the owner to clear a haunted house. Ivy agrees although she is dubious of the claim. What she discovers when entering the house using her second sight is more horrifying than she could imagine. In an interesting twist, she helps the owner, but receives nothing in return. The new series will garner praise and success if the next volumes are as interestingly conc ...more
Emily Ross

I really enjoyed this short prequel to the Ivy Granger series. It was really interesting, but quite creepy, and it makes me want to read more in the series. The main character was pretty awesome, and I think her abilities sound pretty cool. The narrator was perfect for the main character, and the audiobook just felt really great.
montuos
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ivy Granger is hard enough to face anything, which is a good thing in her career as a Psychic Detective, but this story clearly shows her strong compassionate streak. I was sorry the story was so short, but fortunately there are plenty of books in the series. The Ivy Granger series is a bit darker than I prefer to read, but the characters keep me coming back for more.

I received this book as an ARC in return for an honest review.
Jan
Awesome! A welcome to Harbor Mouth and an introduction to Ivy Granger and Jinx. When a client comes for help with her new house, our intrepid psychic detective and Jinx go along suspecting nothing is there. WRONG! A terrific short to addict the reader to this great series!
Melanie Mason is perkily well suited to narrate this series!
S.K. Gregory
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great intro to Ivys world. I will def be reading more.
Shakera
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
I absolutely loved this book! It was a quick read (listen) and very entertaining. The narration was perfect, giving each character its own personality. I can't wait to read the rest of the series!
Gea
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short, strange and compelling!

Makes me hungry for more! But not like the grass in the book 😉.

I received a copy and this is my honest and voluntary review.
Victoria
Great Story. Good introduction to the series. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series. If you like urban fantasy you will love this book.
Arbys Mom
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was given a free copy of this story by virtue of being on the author's newsletter mailing list. It was well written, but apparently was planned as part of a horror anthology, and horror isn't my thing. If it is your thing, you'll probably love it.
Jessica Woods
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Frostbite is a short story of less than thirty pages that sucks you into the world of psychic detective Ivy Granger. Ivy works an eerie case of a haunted house. The writing is fast-pace and light dragging the reader along for a quick read that will have you going back for more. A great tidbit of a story to introduce the series. My voluntary, unbiased review is based upon a review copy.
Caroline Doig
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic prequel short story to the Ivy Granger Psychic Detective series. Ivy and Jinx are back investigating claims of a haunted house. Fantastic read and everything was so descriptive, I love Ivy she’s a head strong sassy take on anything kind of girl and I love that in a heroine. A great start to the urban fantasy series and I highly recommend this book it’s definitely well worth the read.
Marian
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice.

This was a cool and creepy little short story. As an introduction to the Ivy Granger series, it did a good job of piquing my interest.
Emily Pennington
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Mrs. “Maggie” Boyd, Ivy’s new client, admired her lovely cat – except that she didn’t have one. Jinx, her business partner, raised an eyebrow in question, but let it pass. Maggie finally told them her house was haunted by multiple ghosts who moved her furniture, moaned, and groaned. Jinx suggested pookas, but since nothing had been stolen, Ivy ruled them out. Maggie said she had been losing weight and was hungry all the time since she had moved here. The previous owners had left tons of things i ...more
Ashleigh Gauch
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Frostbite is a prequel short story set in E.J. Stevens’ Ivy Granger Detective universe.

Given how short the story actually is, it’s hard to talk too much about the plot without spoiling it. It opens with a short prologue in the form of a tourists’ pamphlet talking about the sort of paranormal shenanigans someone visiting Ivy’s hometown might expect. We then open in Ivy’s detective office, with an older female client begging Ivy for help dealing with a haunting at her home.

At first she and her par
  • I Was a Teenage Weredeer (Bright Falls Mysteries, #1)
  • Anubis Nights (Jonathan Shade, #4)
  • A Witch's Concern (Witch for Hire #4)
  • Dead Stare (Ghosts & Magic, #3)
  • Blood Moon Magick
  • Twisted
  • The Hunted (Hunter Circles, #1)
  • Fade
  • Cornered Magic (The Void, #1)
  • Deadly Shadow: A Paranormal Suspense Thriller (The Assassin Chronicles Book 1)
  • The Magic Thief (The Supernatural Pet Sitter, #1)
  • Fire Water (Black Magic Outlaw #5)
  • The Black Stiletto: Stars & Stripes  (The Black Stiletto #3)
  • Fade Rippers (Galefire, #1)
  • Slade (Team Greywolf Series, #1)
  • First Contact (Haunts For Sale #1)
  • Graveyard Shift
E.J. Stevens is the bestselling, award-winning author of the IVY GRANGER, PSYCHIC DETECTIVE urban fantasy series, the SPIRIT GUIDE young adult series, the HUNTERS' GUILD urban fantasy series, and the WHITECHAPEL PARANORMAL SOCIETY Victorian Gothic horror series. She is known for filling pages with quirky characters, bloodsucking vampires, psychotic faeries, and snarky, kick-butt heroines. Her nove ...more

Ivy Granger (9 books)
  • Shadow Sight (Ivy Granger, #1)
  • Ghost Light (Ivy Granger, #2)
  • Burning Bright (Ivy Granger, #3)
  • Birthright (Ivy Granger, #4)
  • Hound's Bite (Ivy Granger, #5)
  • Blood Rite (Ivy Granger, #6)
  • Watertight (Ivy Granger, #7)
  • Dressed in White (Ivy Granger, #8)
  • Raven's Flight (Ivy Granger, #9)