Start by marking “Recipe for Disaster” as Want to Read:
Recipe for Disaster

Recipe for Disaster

A funny and warm-hearted tale of kitchen disasters, domestic calamities and love against all odds.

Jake Goldman and Harry Hunter have been deadly rivals all through culinary school. Now at the top of their game, fate throws them back together again when they open their first restaurants in the small town of Easedale, just a few hundred metres from each other. Sharp knives a
Published April 3rd 2008 by Arrow (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Recipe for Disaster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Recipe for Disaster

Sally
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of the most enjoyable books I've read for a long time. A love story set in a new restaurant, owned by Jake a man who has had to struggle to get where he is, and who has a passion for food. He also has an enemy who is determined to bring Jake down and a staff of quirky and loveable people who put up with his biggest rants with "yes, Chef". If you like a good yarn, read it. If you like a good love story, read it. If you like stories about restaurants, read it. If you are a fan of Jill Mansell, ...more
Tracey Preater
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Fairly typical chick-lit, an easy read. A good, if predictable, story with some likeable, unlikeable and downright despicable characters. The story is centred around the restaurant kitchens of two rival chefs and weaves in their lives and loves along the way. A good holiday read.
Akhmal Aiman
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 5/5 stars

I just had to, and I'm not sorry for it. It is actually a lovely book. I needed to read chick-lit and I'm glad I picked up this book after leaving it for a while.

The book is narrated mostly by Jake Goldman and Harry Hunter, rivals since culinary school. Fate throws them back together when they open their first restaurant just metres away from each other! At the same time, Kate Walker hopes to uphold her reputation in the world of journalism by staying undercover in Jake's kitche
Jenny
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves chick-lit and romance books
Shelves: audiobooks
The plot is fairly predictable but it is so well written and the characters are so well portrayed by Morrison that this is a very enjoyable read. The rivalry between Jake and Harry was interesting to read, although the affair between Harry and Georgia was one of the weakest things about the story in the way it was written and how it all came together. I loved the blossoming relationship between Kate and Jake, although it did become a tedious when Kate kept vowing to tell Jake the truth at all th ...more
Jane
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Funny and light.
"A good relationship isn't about chucking stuff away and starting over, like you sometimes have to do in cooking. I think it's about surviving stuff."

It's fun reading this book. Though it is a bit of a drag that the story is so long that it becomes boring sometimes. The characters are really unique in their own ways.
There are many parts that I disliked but there are some parts that I would say really witty for you to think.
Overall, I quite enjoyed this chick-lit.
Katherine
Apr 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Typical chick lit. It was pretty obvious from about 1/4 of the way in what was going to happen in the end. Having said that it was an ideal book to read when I was tired before bed as I did not have to think very much.

The characters were on the whole likeable although the 'villain' was a little too obvious. It is a good read for when you are looking for something light but you probably won't even remember reading it in about 4 months.
Any Length
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it
A perfectly good bit of chick-lit to amuse the reader, who is willing to overlook the fact that no undercover reporter, of what really is a small time country newspaper, would get this much time off to write a story about the inner workings of local restaurants and their possible cheating the diners with so called "home made" products. The characters are well built and one knows immediately who to like and who to hate. A nice book to while away an afternoon with lighthearted reading.
Saritha
Sep 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Loved that the story has 2 interesting angles - the rivalry between Jake and Harry and the romance between Jake and Kate. Absolutely adore the distinct personalities that Jake hires to run the run the restaurant, especially Godfrey.

I laughed out loud in some sections and now my husband is curious about the book.

Only hitch is the rapidly shifting points of view. Slightly disorienting slipping in and out of so many heads and hearing so many voices.
Jane Potter
Completely mind numbing. The bad guy's bad. The good guy's good, then they fall in love at the end. If you want that kind of thing and not use your brain at all, go for it. Wasn't even funny. Disappointed.
Caroline De
May 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Ok romcom. Easy but not great.

Malsha
Jul 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Funny and engaging. Miriam Morrison's writing style is unique and eloquent. The plot can use more stirring up but overall, an enjoyable read.
Menna Barakat
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
one of my favorite books, never imagined the art of being a chef or a field journalist except when i read it !!
Tia Mitchell
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I want to live in this book! From the first page to the last, I thought I was living the story rather than reading it. Miriam's work is simply sublime.
Bambola
Aug 16, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a fun read - pretty predictable in terms of the plot line, but I liked that it was set in the restaurant world so I learnt something along the way.
Ailsa
Mar 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-read
I loved this book. Didn't want it to end.
Rachel Zylstra
May 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I Loved this book! It was so easy to like, it flowed really well and was just a fun read.
Kate Bolton
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chic-lit
Fun, light hearted romance surrounded by food. What more could you ask for?
Bettynz
Oct 19, 2013 marked it as to-read
From PBC book sale
Sandra
Jul 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was a quick fun read
Joan
May 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Nice easy read chick lit, bit unbelievable though.
Marion
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
That was an easy fun chick lit!
Kiwileese
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful chick lit read!! Listened to it as an audio book. Fabulously written by Suzy Aitchison cant recommend it highly enough
Ann
May 01, 2010 rated it liked it
I ended up loving Jake and Kate in this book though the first 200 pages seemed to drag on, it was good to see that good guys don't finish last!
Kristin
Apr 18, 2013
Sarah Rogan
Sep 18, 2010
Emily
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
It is rude but in a funny way. I say it should be for girl teenagers
Helen
rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2012
Tereza
Apr 30, 2011
Rahmat
rated it did not like it
Dec 21, 2016
  • The Queen of Minor Disasters
  • The Saffron Trail
  • Bella's Christmas Bake Off
  • The Memory of Lemon
  • Dress Rehearsal (Signet Eclipse)
  • A Taste of Heaven
  • Leftovers
  • Pastries: A Novel of Desserts and Discoveries
  • How to Cook a Tart
  • How Sweet It Is (Heart of Carolina #2)
  • A Second Bite at the Apple
“Real life is like that - it does not follow a neat plan. sometimes you have to get things very messily wrong so you can see how to get them right.” 0 likes