Start by marking “Where Oblivion Lives (Los Nefilim #1)” as Want to Read:
Where Oblivion Lives (Los Nefilim #1)

Where Oblivion Lives

(Los Nefilim #1)

"Frohock has intricately woven a unique reinterpretation of history. Eloquent prose accompanies a lyrical theme amid prewar tensions, enriching this imaginative historical fantasy." --Publishers Weekly, starred review

A lyrical historical fantasy adventure, set in 1932 Spain and Germany, that brings to life the world of the novellas collected in Los Nefilim: Spanish Nephili
Published February 19th 2019 by Harper Voyager
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Where Oblivion Lives, please sign up.
Ash | Wild Heart Reads You dont have to! I'd recommend it for some back story on the characters but it reads as a standalone …moreYou dont have to! I'd recommend it for some back story on the characters but it reads as a standalone (less)

Start your review of Where Oblivion Lives (Los Nefilim #1)
Mark Lawrence
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is both a stand alone book and a follow up to the three Los Nefilim novellas.

I've only read the first of those novellas, which was excellent:

So that puts me somewhere between the complete newcomer and the reader who has finished Los Nefilim.

I think Frohock has succeeded in making Where Oblivion Lies accessible to new readers, and that the existence of the trilogy provides a sense of depth and history to the book.

Where Oblivion Lies is set in 1932, pri
T. Frohock
Mar 04, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I'm taking advantage of the Kindle notes to add annotations to the text in case anyone is interested.

You can find the Kindle Notes here. There are currently five, but I'll be adding more over the next few days.

If you enjoyed the Los Nefilim novellas--In Midnight's Silence, Without Light or Guide, and The Second Death--check out Where Oblivion Dwells.

Diago and all of the nefilim are back for a brand new adventure. Bonus points for getting to do a novel, so I'm able to share more of Los Nefilim's
Holly (The GrimDragon)
"Nothing sinister marked his features, but then again monsters generally moved through the world unobtrusively, camouflaged by banality until their deeds manifested in the form of dead bodies or broken souls."

Where Oblivion Lives is the first full-length novel in the Los Nefilim series by T. Frohock. Preceded by a collection of three novellas, Where Oblivion Lives is both a continuation and a standalone. My experience wasn't interrupted in the least by not having read the novellas, although I wi
Beth
This trilogy continues the story of Los Nefilim that began in the series of novellas with that title. Diago is in pursuit of the Key, a sort of musical word of power. It turns out his missing Stradivarius is in the hands of a family who live in an isolated mansion in Germany. With Guillermo's blessing, he heads out there alone to retrieve the instrument and perhaps find more hints about the Key.

Anyone who's read the novellas will know that Diago has a habit of getting himself into trouble when h
Jennifer (bunnyreads)
Some books just click and this was one of those times. It wasn’t even that there is much in the way of my bullet-proof likes either- Angels are not an auto-buy for me, and historical fantasy is probably closer to an auto-skip. But there was something about this story that resonated (a little pun intended) and part way through I knew I was going to have to go back and read the rest of the series, as soon as my schedule allowed.

Now a member of the Los Nefilim, Diago’s work on the key is being hamp
T. Frohock
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
The sequel, Carved from Stone and Dream, is out now! ...more
Para (wanderer)
4.5/5 This was even better than the novellas, since the story got some breathing space. And the novellas were already excellent. Can't wait for the next one. ...more
Terrible Timy
This review was originally posted on RockStarlit BookAsylum!

I've been hearing a lot about Where Oblivion Lives this past year and it was one of those books that seemed to be totally up my alley. Angels? Demons? Music? Hell to the yes! I was absolutely on board with that. I, however, did not
Jeff Bryant
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Teresa Frohock is a true hidden treasure whose work deserves a much wider audience. Her current work, of which I received and ARC, is a novel continuing the tales in the Los Nefilim novellas, set during the time of the Spanish Civil War and continues the story of Diago, born of daemon and angel, his husband Miquel and their son as Diago continues to gain the trust of the Nefilim in their quest to maintain the peace between the immortals, whose conflicts parallel events in our world.
Teresa’s pro
Elena
Jul 03, 2018 marked it as tbr-sffh
Attention, reading folks! This baby right here is on sale for $1.99 until October 1st: if you're in the mood for an excellently written, thoughtfully researched historical UF, then go snatch your copy (and, if you want, hit me up for a BR)!

---------------------------------------------

When one of your favorite authors drops the news of a sequel for one of your favorite reads of 2017 you didn't even know was in the making:

description

And it's going to be a full-lenght novel, too! Hurrah!!!

I’ve been following this author since just before she released her very first book. I look back on her storied career, and I’m just so impressed by everything she’s done, and the high quality of work she has always, ceaselessly provided her readers. It also makes me feel like I’ve been bopping around genrespace and writing reviews an abnormally long time, considering blog turnover rate these days. Ah, well.

Anyway, I’ve been reading Frohock’s books since s
Carol (bookish_notes)
Initial reaction 2/17/22:
MORE PEOPLE SHOULD BE READING THIS SERIES!!

this is so good??? it’s loving and CREEPY as hell. I don’t read many historicals at all but this paranormal historical fantasy at the beginning of WW2 with angels and demons has me in a chokehold. Diago and Miquel are SO LOVELY and they keep finding each other through their reincarnations?? and Diago and Guillermo as good friends as me WEAK.

Vikas Adam narrating this is a top tier choice. he can get me to read to anything, no m
David H.
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was great to see a novel-length Los Nefilim story, as well as seeing some real flashbacks to past incarnations and just more in-depth exploration of the greater politics around and above Barcelona. My only knock against this book is that I wanted more Diago/Miquel/Rafael time compared to the novellas.

But wow, are some of these characters quite damaged inside--and with the Spanish Civil War about to start in 4 years, I don't see this getting any better for them.

Watch for me.
Mia
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHERE OBLIVION LIVES is a well-written, historically grounded, evocative dark urban fantasy. While designated Los Nefilim #4, there being 3 previous novellas, reading the novellas is unnecessary for the full appreciation of this book, though it is likely to spur you to obtain the novellas post-haste.

It is a tale WHERE FAMILY LIVES and thrives—family forged by blood, and family that is hand-picked and formed by voluntary bonds. The central family consists of Diago (half-angel, half-demon), Miquel
FanFiAddict
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 9.0/10

Thanks to the publisher and author for a copy of Where Oblivion Lives (Los Nefilim #4) in exchange for an honest review. Receiving a copy of the novel did not influence my thoughts or opinions.

Where Oblivion Lives is a master stroke of historical fantasy; mesmerizing in its prose and alluring in its song, Frohock’s first full-length novel in the Los Nefilim series is a work of art.

This was my introduction to the author thanks to HarperVoyager. I have had the Los Nefilim novella col
keikii Eats Books
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To read more reviews in this series and others, check out keikii eats books!

Short Review: Historical UF with angels, exactly the balm my soul needed with this genre. Perfect sequel to the first three novellas. I love the characters, and I loved the story. I can't wait to see more in this series.

Longer Review:

96 points, 5 STARS!
LGBT Themes

Once again, Where Oblivion Lives is everything I needed in an urban fantasy novel. I didn't just want everything to do with this novel, I needed it to soothe a
T.O. Munro
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A delightful standalone excursion into the world of Los Nefilim, part spy thriller, part gothic horror, part magical warfare, as the husband and husband team of Diago and Miquel navigate dangers across Europe on the eve of the Spanish Civil War.

I posted a full review at the Fantasy Hive, here

The author also kindly answered some interview questions about the book and the process of writing it, here

Cindy
Sep 17, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. The people, clothing and descriptions of the settings are enough to transport me into the book. That there is a whole culture of hidden creatures operating within this historical time period is intriguing.
Christine Sandquist
Where Oblivion Lives is the first full novel in the Los Nefilim series by T. Frohock. Although she wrote three novellas that take place prior to Where Oblivion Lives collected in one volume titled Los Nefilim (hence Goodreads labeling it as #4), this novel was written to serve as an introduction for newcomers to the books. It’s not necessary to read Los Nefilim first, though I do highly encourage reading them at some point solely because they’re excellent. My review of Los Nefilim can be found h ...more
Joel
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks, hard-copy
An absolute gem - wonderfully written, genuinely intriguing through the entire novel, and containing the same superb characters, relationships, and drama I've come to expect from the Los Nefilim series. It's felt like an incredibly long wait to get back to these characters, but Frohock thankfully hits it out of the park. ...more
Maša
Soundtrack:Happy Days are Here Again!

It's a happy day indeed, so many things I like in one place! Midway through the book I realized it's fourth in a series, so now I have some catching-up to do.

An interesting magic system. Music-imbued sigils? Yes please! If you follow the text, you can listen to a pretty interesting soundtrack. It was great to hear ol' Brahms and Berlioz as a soundtrack to angel-killing and soul-eating!

A new(ish) take on an old trope. Children of angels and humans - now with
Erika Kraus
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in the first reads giveaway! T. Frohock is a wonderful writer. You don't need to read the first three books in the series but after reading the fourth I will look for the other three! ...more
Colin
Feb 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had me hooked from the beginning to the end! It has a fascinating take on magic and is definitely worth a read.
Buddy read with Shan 💜

Phenomenal!! I love this series so much! Officially a favorite! I love the world and the music and the magic and the history! The way past lives influence current incarnations of the nefilim is so well done, and I especially love the way glimpses of past lives show the growth in current lives. I love the friendships and tight bonds these characters share and the intrigue kept me on the edge of my seat. Now to impatiently await my copy of the next novel…
Saphirablue
Sarah Wright
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5/5 stars — grounded in history, brought to life by magic and emotion

Where Oblivion Lives is the novel-length sequel to T. Frohock's three Los Nefilim novellas. I loved the novellas and this book builds upon everything I originally enjoyed about Diago, the world of nefilim, and musical magic.

The story is a genre-blending cross between historical fiction, mystery, and supernatural horror. Diago Alvarez, now a member of Los Nefilim, a group of angelic descendants with united under the leadership
Kathy Shin
For those who are new to the series, Los Nefilim presents an early 1930's Europe in which nefilim, the children of angels and daimons, live hidden amidst mortal kind and serve the angels as earthly soldiers in the angel-daimon war. We follow the activity of the Spanish nephilim branch, Los Nefilim, particularly one Diago Alvarez--a half-angel, half-daimon being who's recently been inducted into the organization.

While I'd enjoyed the novellas (the characters in particular), I did feel like I was
Jessica Strider
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Pros: fast paced, focused, interesting worldbuilding

Cons:

It is 1932 and tensions between Germany and France are on the rise. Diagos nightmares of the Great War and sharp violin music are getting worse and he fears los Nefilim will cast him out unless he can prove himself trustworthy. So when his lost violin case is discovered he offers to track down the instrument in Germany. But a past life connection implicates Guillermo’s half brother and a fallen angel.

I really enjoyed this. The plot is qu
Thesincouch
Mar 06, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fascinating. Most of the Spanish and Catalan names were right, Frohock does a very good job in setting it in different European countries without over-explaining or making it like it's just this very exotic place. The fact that is set just before Franco's coup makes it even more interesting as you know what's going to happen.

I love how unapologetically queer it is, which I didn't expect, and how important is male friendship on top of it. I also really liked the whole nefilim thing, of
Karen Benson
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have now read all her books. Her characters are well developed and the plot enticing.
The way her characters are intertwined in historic facts and happenings, make you believe the characters played a real role in the making of history.
I recommend this book to any one who loves history and fantasy.
« previous 1 3 next »
/r/Fantasy Discus...: January 2020: Where Oblivion Lives 3 72 Jan 31, 2020 01:41PM

• The Ghost
  • How It Went Down
  • Bloodmoney
  • Miserere: An Autumn Tale
  • Riding Jane Crow: African American Women on the American Railroad
  • Reading with Patrick: A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship
  • The Vory: Russia's Super Mafia
  • Cinnamon Roll (Bold Brew #9)
  • Rebellion
  • Reputation
  • The Cases That Haunt Us
  • A Murder Over a Girl: Justice, Gender, Junior High
  • Cup of Joe (Bold Brew, #1)
  • A Forgery of Roses
  • Hawk of May
  • Neon in Daylight
  • The Faerie Hounds of York
  • Spy×Family 6 (SpyxFamily, #6)
Check out my newsletter for Los Nefilim epilogues and more.

T. Frohock has turned a love of history and dark fantasy into tales of deliciously creepy fiction. A real-life cyborg, T has a cochlear implant, meaning she can turn you on or off with the flick of a switch. Make of that what you will. She currently lives in North Carolina, where she has long been accused of telling stories, which is a so

Los Nefilim (3 books)
  • Carved from Stone and Dream (Los Nefilim #2)
  • A Song with Teeth (Los Nefilim, #3)