Start by marking “Where Oblivion Lives (Los Nefilim, #4)” as Want to Read:
Where Oblivion Lives (Los Nefilim, #4)

Where Oblivion Lives

(Los Nefilim #4)

"Frohock has intricately woven a unique reinterpretation of history. Eloquent prose accompanies a lyrical theme amid prewar tensions, enriching this imaginative historical fantasy." --Publishers Weekly, starred review

A lyrical historical fantasy adventure, set in 1932 Spain and Germany, that brings to life the world of the novellas collected in Los Nefilim: Spanish Nephili
Published February 19th 2019 by Harper Voyager
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Where Oblivion Lives, please sign up.
Ash | Wild Heart Reads You dont have to! I'd recommend it for some back story on the characters but it reads as a standalone

Start your review of Where Oblivion Lives (Los Nefilim, #4)
Mark Lawrence
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is both a stand alone book and a follow up to the three Los Nefilim novellas.

I've only read the first of those novellas, which was excellent:

So that puts me somewhere between the complete newcomer and the reader who has finished Los Nefilim.

I think Frohock has succeeded in making Where Oblivion Lies accessible to new readers, and that the existence of the trilogy provides a sense of depth and history to the book.

Where Oblivion Lies is set in 1932, pri
T. Frohock
Mar 04, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I'm taking advantage of the Kindle notes to add annotations to the text in case anyone is interested.

You can find the Kindle Notes here. There are currently five, but I'll be adding more over the next few days.

If you enjoyed the Los Nefilim novellas--In Midnight's Silence, Without Light or Guide, and The Second Death--check out Where Oblivion Dwells.

Diago and all of the nefilim are back for a brand new adventure. Bonus points for getting to do a novel, so I'm able to share more of Los Nefilim's
Holly (The Grimdragon)
"Nothing sinister marked his features, but then again monsters generally moved through the world unobtrusively, camouflaged by banality until their deeds manifested in the form of dead bodies or broken souls."

Where Oblivion Lives is the first full-length novel in the Los Nefilim series by T. Frohock. Preceded by a collection of three novellas, Where Oblivion Lives is both a continuation and a standalone. My experience wasn't interrupted in the least by not having read the novellas, although I wi
Michael Fletcher
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those where I need some time to put my thoughts into order.

Gorgeously lyrical, T. Frohock weaves a lush tapestry. At times beautiful and brutal, I am in awe of this unbelievably talented story-teller. Highly recommended!

This takes everything I loved about Los Nefilim and improves on it, which is quite a feat!

I want more!
T. Frohock
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
The sequel, Carved from Stone and Dream, is out now! ...more
wanderer (Para)
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to wanderer (Para) by: David H.
4.5/5 RTC

This was even better than the novellas, since the story got some breathing space. And the novellas were already excellent. Can't wait for the next one.
Jennifer (bunnyreads)
Some books just click and this was one of those times. It wasn’t even that there is much in the way of my bullet-proof likes either- Angels are not an auto-buy for me, and historical fantasy is probably closer to an auto-skip. But there was something about this story that resonated (a little pun intended) and part way through I knew I was going to have to go back and read the rest of the series, as soon as my schedule allowed.

Now a member of the Los Nefilim, Diago’s work on the key is being hamp
Jeff Bryant
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Teresa Frohock is a true hidden treasure whose work deserves a much wider audience. Her current work, of which I received and ARC, is a novel continuing the tales in the Los Nefilim novellas, set during the time of the Spanish Civil War and continues the story of Diago, born of daemon and angel, his husband Miquel and their son as Diago continues to gain the trust of the Nefilim in their quest to maintain the peace between the immortals, whose conflicts parallel events in our world.
Teresa’s pro
Elena C.
Jul 03, 2018 marked it as to-read
Attention, reading folks! This baby right here is on sale for $1.99 until October 1st: if you're in the mood for an excellently written, thoughtfully researched historical UF, then go snatch your copy (and, if you want, hit me up for a BR)!

---------------------------------------------

When one of your favorite authors drops the news of a sequel for one of your favorite reads of 2017 you didn't even know was in the making:

description

And it's going to be a full-lenght novel, too! Hurrah!!!
Queen Terrible Timy
Actual rating: 4.5*

This review was originally posted on RockStarlit BookAsylum!

I've been hearing a lot about Where Oblivion Lives this past year and it was one of those books that seemed to be totally up my alley. Angels? Demons? Music? Hell to the yes! I was absolutely on board with that.
David H.
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was great to see a novel-length Los Nefilim story, as well as seeing some real flashbacks to past incarnations and just more in-depth exploration of the greater politics around and above Barcelona. My only knock against this book is that I wanted more Diago/Miquel/Rafael time compared to the novellas.

But wow, are some of these characters quite damaged inside--and with the Spanish Civil War about to start in 4 years, I don't see this getting any better for them.

Watch for me.
Mia
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHERE OBLIVION LIVES is a well-written, historically grounded, evocative dark urban fantasy. While designated Los Nefilim #4, there being 3 previous novellas, reading the novellas is unnecessary for the full appreciation of this book, though it is likely to spur you to obtain the novellas post-haste.

It is a tale WHERE FAMILY LIVES and thrives—family forged by blood, and family that is hand-picked and formed by voluntary bonds. The central family consists of Diago (half-angel, half-demon), Miquel
FanFiAddict
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 9.0/10

Thanks to the publisher and author for a copy of Where Oblivion Lives (Los Nefilim #4) in exchange for an honest review. Receiving a copy of the novel did not influence my thoughts or opinions.

Where Oblivion Lives is a master stroke of historical fantasy; mesmerizing in its prose and alluring in its song, Frohock’s first full-length novel in the Los Nefilim series is a work of art.

This was my introduction to the author thanks to HarperVoyager. I have had the Los Nefilim novella col
Joel
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hard-copy, audiobooks
An absolute gem - wonderfully written, genuinely intriguing through the entire novel, and containing the same superb characters, relationships, and drama I've come to expect from the Los Nefilim series. It's felt like an incredibly long wait to get back to these characters, but Frohock thankfully hits it out of the park.
keikii Eats Books
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To read more reviews in this series and others, check out keikii eats books!

Short Review: Historical UF with angels, exactly the balm my soul needed with this genre. Perfect sequel to the first three novellas. I love the characters, and I loved the story. I can't wait to see more in this series.

Longer Review:

96 points, 5 STARS!
LGBT Themes

Once again, Where Oblivion Lives is everything I needed in an urban fantasy novel. I didn't just want everything to do with this novel, I needed it to soothe a
T.O. Munro
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A delightful standalone excursion into the world of Los Nefilim, part spy thriller, part gothic horror, part magical warfare, as the husband and husband team of Diago and Miquel navigate dangers across Europe on the eve of the Spanish Civil War.

I posted a full review at the Fantasy Hive, here

The author also kindly answered some interview questions about the book and the process of writing it, here

Saphirablue
Maša
Soundtrack:Happy Days are Here Again!

It's a happy day indeed, so many things I like in one place! Midway through the book I realized it's fourth in a series, so now I have some catching-up to do.

An interesting magic system. Music-imbued sigils? Yes please! If you follow the text, you can listen to a pretty interesting soundtrack. It was great to hear ol' Brahms and Berlioz as a soundtrack to angel-killing and soul-eating!

A new(ish) take on an old trope. Children of angels and humans - now with
Erika Kraus
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in the first reads giveaway! T. Frohock is a wonderful writer. You don't need to read the first three books in the series but after reading the fourth I will look for the other three!
Buddy read with Shan 💜

Phenomenal!! I love this series so much! Officially a favorite! I love the world and the music and the magic and the history! The way past lives influence current incarnations of the nefilim is so well done, and I especially love the way glimpses of past lives show the growth in current lives. I love the friendships and tight bonds these characters share and the intrigue kept me on the edge of my seat. Now to impatiently await my copy of the next novel…
Ash | Wild Heart Reads
Reread 6/11/19 ~ THIS IS JUST AS PERFECT THE SECOND TIME ROUND I WOULD LEGIT DIE FOR THESE NEFILIM *sobs*

-------

Diago is haunted by a long-forgotten song, an old enemy returns and war looms for both humans and the nephilim.

Where Oblivion Lives opens with Diago supposed to be trying to compose the Key, a song that only he has heard and, one that could be used to devastating effect in the wrong hands. But his dreams are haunted by a song played on his stolen Stradivarius, drawing him to Germany.
Jon Adams
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love beautiful books.
Sarah Wright
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5/5 stars — grounded in history, brought to life by magic and emotion

Where Oblivion Lives is the novel-length sequel to T. Frohock's three Los Nefilim novellas. I loved the novellas and this book builds upon everything I originally enjoyed about Diago, the world of nefilim, and musical magic.

The story is a genre-blending cross between historical fiction, mystery, and supernatural horror. Diago Alvarez, now a member of Los Nefilim, a group of angelic descendants with united under the leadership
Kathy
For those who are new to the series, Los Nefilim presents an early 1930's Europe in which nefilim, the children of angels and daimons, live hidden amidst mortal kind and serve the angels as earthly soldiers in the angel-daimon war. We follow the activity of the Spanish nephilim branch, Los Nefilim, particularly one Diago Alvarez--a half-angel, half-daimon being who's recently been inducted into the organization.

While I'd enjoyed the novellas (the characters in particular), I did feel like I was
Jessica Strider
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Pros: fast paced, focused, interesting worldbuilding

Cons:

It is 1932 and tensions between Germany and France are on the rise. Diagos nightmares of the Great War and sharp violin music are getting worse and he fears los Nefilim will cast him out unless he can prove himself trustworthy. So when his lost violin case is discovered he offers to track down the instrument in Germany. But a past life connection implicates Guillermo’s half brother and a fallen angel.

I really enjoyed this. The plot is qu
Karen Benson
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have now read all her books. Her characters are well developed and the plot enticing.
The way her characters are intertwined in historic facts and happenings, make you believe the characters played a real role in the making of history.
I recommend this book to any one who loves history and fantasy.
Sumayyah
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a beautiful read. Miss Frohock is a master word smith, and it is no wonder her work enjoys such appreciation from fellow authors.

Very few authors can weave emotions in their story so compellingly. Frohock is a master at it. Where Oblivion Lives although starts slowly, it doesn't give you a breather towards the end of the book (in a good way).

While I have really enjoyed the previous Los Nifilim books, this one was a feat as it conveyed so much in such less number of words.

Frohock ta
Splodygirl
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I probably shouldn't be reviewing anything right now. I've got a head cold that has my brain meats throbbing to their own internal samba band. On the other hand, maybe that's precisely the right state to be in to review this book.

I was so excited to find out that this book had been published. I'd loved the first three, but I know that the publishing world - the writing world - is a difficult one, and that Ms. Frohock has to work full time which eats considerably into writing time. So while I'd h
Drema Deoraich
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Diago, a nefil born of an angel-daimon pairing, has been tasked by the leader of Los Nefilim with finding The Key, a musical sequence that can unlock the barrier between realms and unite the nefilim’s voices, empowering them to save Spain from the coming darkness. But Diago finds it hard to focus when nightmares plague his sleep, dreams in which his stolen Stradivarius plays the same jarring notes over and over, prompting snatches of memories from prior incarnations that torment Diago with his p ...more
Helen Lowe
Firstly, a little about Los Nefilim. Teresa Frohock's series, set in 1930s, pre-Civil War Spain, began with a series of three linked novellas, first published individually and then collected in one volume as Los Nefilim.

(You can read my post on the novellas here.)

I've said before that it's hard to categorize this series: it's historical fantasy, but it's also decidedly supernatural and paranormal in focus. It's also urban fantasy, being primarily set in Barcelona, but also has a distinctly noir
/r/Fantasy Discus...: January 2020: Where Oblivion Lives 3 66 Jan 31, 2020 01:41PM

• Miranda in Milan
  • We Ride the Storm (The Reborn Empire, #1)
  • The Hanged Man (The Tarot Sequence, #2)
  • Silver in the Wood (The Greenhollow Duology, #1)
  • The Last Sun (The Tarot Sequence, #1)
  • Queen of the Conquered (Islands of Blood and Storm, #1)
  • Witchmark (The Kingston Cycle, #1)
  • The Last Smile in Sunder City (The Fetch Phillips Archives, #1)
  • Dragonslayer (Dragonslayer, #1)
  • Miserere: An Autumn Tale
  • The Wolf of Oren-Yaro (Chronicles of the Bitch Queen, #1)
  • The Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates, #1)
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • Lord of the White Hell, Book 1 (Lord of the White Hell, #1)
  • The Black Hawks (Articles of Faith, #1)
  • The Shadow Saint (The Black Iron Legacy, #2)
  • Never Die
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
Website is at tfrohock.com

T. Frohock has turned a love of history and dark fantasy into tales of deliciously creepy fiction. A real-life cyborg, T has a cochlear implant, meaning she can turn you on or off with the flick of a switch. Make of that what you will. She currently lives in North Carolina, where she has long been accused of telling stories, which is a southern colloquialism for lying.

Los Nefilim (6 books)
  • In Midnight's Silence (Los Nefilim, #1)
  • Without Light or Guide (Los Nefilim, #2)
  • The Second Death (Los Nefilim, #3)
  • Carved from Stone and Dream (Los Nefilim, #5)
  • A Song with Teeth