Start by marking “The Border (Power of the Dog, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Border (Power of the Dog, #3)

The Border

(Power of the Dog #3)

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  9,216 ratings  ·  1,097 reviews
The explosive, highly anticipated conclusion to the epic Cartel trilogy from the New York Times bestselling author of The Force.

What do you do when there are no borders?  When the lines you thought existed simply vanish?  How do you plant your feet to make a stand when you no longer know what side you’re on?

The war has come home.

For over forty years, Art Keller has been on
Published February 26th 2019 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Border, please sign up.
Ron I wouldn't. I read the first two, but with such a huge cast and so much time between books I had trouble at times. I wish he'd included a 'cast of cha…moreI wouldn't. I read the first two, but with such a huge cast and so much time between books I had trouble at times. I wish he'd included a 'cast of characters' section up front for reference.(less)

·  9,216 ratings  ·  1,097 reviews

Start your review of The Border (Power of the Dog, #3)
James Thane
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-fiction
They have not yet invented a sufficient number of superlatives to describe how much I loved this book. It's an absolute masterpiece and a very worthy conclusion to the trilogy that Winslow began with The Power of the Dog in 2005. It's a sweeping epic with a huge cast that clocks in at 720 pages, and there's not a single wasted word in the entire book.

At the center of the story again is Art Keller who, in one capacity or another, has been fighting the war on drugs for forty years. It's taken a ve
Char
THE BORDER is the last book in the POWER OF THE DOG trilogy. All I can say is WOW.

It was everything I hoped for and more. Brutal criminals, sometimes even more brutal law enforcement, international drug wars, politics, and the absolutely fabulous Ray Porter relating it all in that powerful voice of his.

At this point I feel like Don Winslow and Ray Porter are a part of my life. I've spent dozens of hours with them both and to be honest? I'm going to miss them.

Does Art Keller finally get somewhe
Kemper
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
They say that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result. So maybe America should start questioning its ‘war on drugs’ which is almost 50 years old now?

Nah. Let’s just keep doing the same thing we always have. It’s gotta work eventually.

Art Keller’s story began in The Power of the Dog when he was a young DEA agent dispatched to Mexico in the ‘70s. There he got into a feud with Adán Barrera who becomes one of the most powerful cartel
Richard
This was one of the most epic reading experiences I've had in a very long time. This is the massive conclusion to Don Winslow's Border Trilogy, THE definitive piece of fiction that focuses on the War on Drugs. Throughout these three big books, Winslow leaves no stone unturned in this subject and passionately challenges what you know about the Border Crisis and the American/Mexican Drug War. But even more importantly, he tells the great story of the tumultuous, decades-long personal war between D ...more
Dave
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-borrowed
The Final Book of the Trilogy

The Border is the final concluding chapter to Winslow’s magnum opus, his trilogy about the long-running drug war. Like the first two lengthy chapters in the trilogy, The Power the Dog and the Cartel, The Border is a broad, sweeping epic telling multiple storylines. However, unlike the first two books, along with the glorious rich characters and history, Winslow included thinly-veiled political smear attacks which were unnecessary to the story and cheapened his art.

I
Chris Berko
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. The first two books in this trilogy were perfection, I removed a half star from this one because there were two or three chapters that I felt did not fit into the overall flow and were a bit unnecessary. That being said I feel that these books deserve a place amongst the very best of crime fiction. More happens in any given thirty pages of these books than in most four hundred page books by anyone else. Gigantic cast of characters, non-stop action and drama, and real life tie-ins to a ...more
Brandon
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2019, fiction
Twice now, Don Winslow believed he was out.

After finishing 2005’s The Power of the Dog, he’d felt he said his piece on the war on drugs. Then, nearly a decade later, he sat down at a keyboard and started typing what would become his follow-up to The Power of the Dog, The Cartel. After that, he was positive he was finished.

Then came Trump. All the talk about walls. Mexicans as rapists and the never-ending opioid epidemic pushed Winslow back into the world he swore he’d left behind.

Hello darkness
Thomas Pluck
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A superlative ending to the Power of the Dog trilogy, The Border is a perfect blend of the first two volumes. The epic sprawl of The Cartel is cut back, though we see a broad swath of the people affected by the drug war, from a migrant child fleeing gang violence, an addict struggling to get clean, dealers and cops and narcos and crooked politicians and bankers who launder money. While it is still entertainment, it is not police state fan fiction. Winslow asks the tough questions of why American ...more
Ken Kelsch
Disappointing

I couldn't wait for this to come out. I sped through the first 2 books. This is way too California anti Trump syndrome to ignore. I hate paying to have politics rammed down my throat.
Daniel Gonzalez
Mar 30, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was so disappointing.
Power of the dog & Cartel are pure brilliance and they place on the top of my favourite all time books, therefore I was very excited and bought The Border as soon as it came out.
Then the cold shower hit, to put it simple The border is un-interesting, boring and almost unreadable. The obsession with Trump is an absolute non-sense, it ruins the story and its credibility.
It seems like Don Winslow blinded by his personal political views has lost his sense of balance and nua
Michael Hicks
My review of THE BORDER can be found at High Fever Books.

Thanks to political connections made during the Guatemala raid at the climax of The Cartel, Art Keller is named head of the Drug Enforcement Agency to combat America’s burgeoning heroin epidemic. His efforts at combating the flow of opioids opens an investigation that takes Keller, his agents, and a host of author Don Winslow’s secondary and tertiary characters from the poppy fields of Mexico to the financial barons of Wall Street, and int
Skip
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This is the concluding book of Don Winslow's well-researched trilogy on America's longest-running war: the war on drugs, with a primary focus on Mexico, and especially, the Sinaloa cartel. For maximum enjoyment, read The Power of the Dog [2005] and The Cartel [2015] first, and be prepared for anti-Trump bias: not for the faint-hearted.

After a brief introduction to an active shooting situation at Maya Lin's Vietnam War memorial in Washington D.C., the book goes back in time to events following Th
Bill
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly the best trilogy I have ever read. Truly outstanding in every way.
Debra
Stephen King recommended series. He tweeted: “These books are coolness.”

He tweeted: "Reading THE BORDER, by Don Winslow (out next month). Man is a balls-to-the-wall storyteller. A harsh, important book. Favorite line so far: "The difference between a hedge fund manager and a [drug] cartel boss? Wharton Business School."

And another tweet: "THE BORDER, by Don Winslow: Everyone in America--left, right, and center--should read this book. It's social fiction to rival Tom Wolfe and John Steinbeck. Foc
Alex
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thankfully discovered Don Winslow several years ago when the second leg of his now complete The Cartel trilogy, was released. I picked up the audiobook and was captured immediately, taken deep into the world of drugs and its traffickers, and the accompanying violence and corruption. Winslow writes in a compelling almost journalistic style, turning the intrigue of the narcotic trade into a page turner extraordinaire.

Last year, Winslow announced the release of the final chapter in the story of D
Maureen Carden
My original thought was to write a two word review over and over again but it wouldn't never make it onto Amazon. So the cleaned up version would have been "holy cow, holy cow, " over and over.
Then I decided to write a tiny bit more. This was an extremely powerful book, the last in a trilogy. I realized early on I really needed to pay attention to the names since there were so many characters, and it was important to keep track of the players. On one level the story was so intricate, on another
Jay Dwight
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can’t imagine anything will beat this as my best read of 2019.

An epic tale. A modern masterpiece from an absolutely brilliant writer.

Following on from The Cartel, Art Keller’s war on the drug trade continues, but now the war has crossed the border into the USA.

So many aspects to this story. The fight for power between the drug empires, the politics and corruption, the police and DEA battles and reluctantly deciding where to turn a blind eye for the greater, long term good.

Even the side sto
Mary
Apr 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
What a disappointment. Completely confusing plot. Side stories that go nowhere. Characters introduced that go nowhere and tie into nothing. Lots of preaching. A total muddle of a book. Bad pacing. What a waste of time. His other books were so good that it’s hard to figure out what happened to his writing skills.
Sandy Thomas Johnson
Apr 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Very disappointing. The Cartel is one of my Top 10. He should have kept his politics out of this one.
Kathleen
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Winslow’s capstone to his drug cartel trilogy is brilliant and deeply depressing. Winslow’s story is dark—immersing the reader into the world of fear and chaos reflective of the drug trade. The author started this trilogy 14 years ago and conducted exhaustive research of the drug war fought on the US’s southern border. Some of the brutal events depicted in this tale seemed too implausible to his editors—that is, until Winslow told them that they actually happened.

The Border begins in 2012 when A
Tom
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-books-read
Don Winslow brings to a close his two decades obsession with the War on Drugs and the people involved, principally Art Keller and Adan Barrera. The Border has Adan dead (or is he? Adan Vive the people scrawl) and Art fighting a new threat, the people in America who profit by the obscene profits of the narcotraffickers of Mexico and their Latin world co-conspirators.
Winslow is on a roll here, and is talking about this and other topics in his press tour. The quote he gives the Los Angeles Times il
milinda johnson
Mar 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
It was a book that was the worst book I have listened too in years. Preached a lot of hatred towards the American people no matter what color or race they may be. It made me sick to see how this ideology exists in this world. I have six other books by this author but returned this book. It's a hit piece against anyone who is conservative and American. Don't recommend. Save your money
Gerri Sobieray
Mar 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This dog bites back

Windows sordid stories of Mexican cultural cruelties backfire as he tries to make a political statement that only CNN and MSNBC viewers will love. Morning Joe should offer him a lot of facetime. Pathetic, sir. Sorry I wasted my time with your progressive drivel.
Steven Z.
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After completing THE FORCE, the second installment of Don Winslow’s THE POWER OF THE DOG trilogy that encompasses the narco-drug world that resides in Mexico, but also a symbiotic relationship with areas of the United States, I looked forward to seeing how his fictional account with elements of fact would resolve itself. The concluding volume, THE BORDER has just been released and it will not disappoint as it maintains Winslow’s breadth of knowledge of the purveyors of the drug trade, the intric ...more
Ben Ostrander
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After a writing journey of over 20 years, Don Winslow hits it way out of the park with this incredible finale to his trilogy. Everything about this book hit the superior bell. Absolutely marvelous! Thanks, Don.
Scott  Hitchcock
Book 1: 4*
Book 2: 4*
Book 3: 4*

Great ending to a great series. America really has become the great plutocracy where the rich manipulate guns, drugs, real estate and everything else just to line their pockets. The avarice at the highest levels making capitalism a convenient lie.

The series starts in the 80's and while this is a work of historical fiction that's a pretty loose term because most of the things that happen are true with just some name changes. The author does a great job of continuous
Diana
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HOLY SH—!!
Leftbanker
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
No one cold accuse Don Winslow of a lack of ambition. The scope of this novel dwarfs almost anything we would consider to be a literary novel. Whatever skill he may lack as a wordsmith, he more than makes up for in this shotgun blast of a story that takes down everyone even remotely involved in the drug trade.

Is this book too long at 664 pages? I can’t say that I was completely enthralled with every word of this, but I like the fact that Winslow has enough juice as a writer to make the novel as
Donna Hines
We cannot build a wall, a fence, a border across the entire United States.
We cannot end the drug cartel put every bad person in prison, lock em all up.
What we can do is what we've been doing because when each member of the cartel are caught thousands more are scattering to get in their spots.
This is the story of the border.
It's a mockery of the current situation and the power struggles that exists both within these powerful drugs that are killing our kids including heroine and fetanyl and outsid
Stuart Ashenbrenner
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Don Winslow is a master. This is such a great ending to a fantastic trilogy.

This book locks you in within 5 minutes of starting it, and it does not let up until the last words.

I would HIGHLY recommend reading the first two books in the series if you have not done so yet. It will help give this story a lot more power, and it will greatly help with certain understanding of parts.

I've seen some reviews about this book being too political. I agree, it is very political, but then again, the drug war

• This Storm
  • Blacktop Wasteland
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch, #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • November Road
  • Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy #3)
  • True Believer (Terminal List, #2)
  • The Chain
  • Agent Running in the Field
  • The Man Who Came Uptown
  • Hi Five (IQ, #4)
  • Like Lions (Bull Mountain, #2)
  • Metropolis (Bernie Gunther, #14)
  • The New Iberia Blues (Dave Robicheaux #22)
  • Knife (Harry Hole, #12)
  • Cari Mora
  • Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole, #18; Joe Pike, #7)
  • Cemetery Road
Don Winslow is the author of twenty-one acclaimed, award-winning international bestsellers, including the New York Times bestsellers The Force and The Border, the #1 international bestseller The Cartel, The Power of the Dog, Savages, and The Winter of Frankie Machine. Savages was made into a feature film by three-time Oscar-winning writer-director Oliver Stone. The Power of the Dog, The Cartel and ...more

Power of the Dog (3 books)
  • The Power of the Dog (Power of the Dog #1)
  • The Cartel (Power of the Dog #2)

Articles featuring this book

A new year means new thrills and chills for mystery and thriller lovers. And in 2019 there are plenty of exciting new releases to keep...
“The ‘Mexican drug problem’ is not the Mexican drug problem. It is the American drug problem. We are the buyers, and without buyers, there can be no sellers.” 3 likes
“Nothing is emptier than an empty house.
The vacant kitchen chair, the imprint on a sofa cushion, the pillow unsplayed with hair, absent of scent. An unspoken thought, an unshared laugh, the silence of no footsteps, no sighs, no breaths.”
1 likes