Start by marking “The Unteachables” as Want to Read:
The Unteachables

The Unteachables

A hilarious new middle grade novel from beloved and bestselling author Gordan Korman about what happens when the worst class of kids in school is paired with the worst teacher—perfect for fans of Ms. Bixby’s Last Day.

The Unteachables are a notorious class of misfits, delinquents, and academic train wrecks. Like Aldo, with anger management issues; Parker, who can’t read; Ki
Published January 8th 2019 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about The Unteachables, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unteachables

Jaymie
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
[I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.]

Fantastic! I loved the characters and the heart of this story. I was inspired by this story of the transformation that can happen when students have teachers and other adults who believe in them. Mr. Kermit, the teacher, changes the most over the story. The core of his character is to be a voice and an advocate for students and that makes a difference for this group of kids especially.
It seems as though fictional educators are either cruel taskmasters or incredible human beings who turn children's lives around. The eighth grade class of unteachables boasts a teacher who begins as a mere time card puncher yet becomes a SUPERSTAR! before novel's end. It's the sort of transformation teen movies are made of. You know the ones where an already good looking outcast simply sheds his or her glasses and dresses up a bit and, what do ya' know he or she was beautiful the whole time! Mr. ...more
Theresa Grissom
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3rd, 4th, 5th, middle-grade
Thanks to Edelweiss plus for an ARC of this book.

Another hit from Gordon Korman! I simply adored this middle grade story. Loved the characters and couldn't put this down. The students at my school will love getting their hands on this one. Can't wait to share it with them.
Brenda
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Brenda by: Edelweiss
Mr. Kermit (AKA Ribbet) has been burned out from teaching, ever since the cheating scandal incident some 30 years ago. What made the whole episode worse is that it was one of his students who was accused of cheating, and Mr. Kermit knew nothing about it, yet still ended up being blamed for the whole thing. Ever since that day, Mr. Kermit has lost his spark for teaching. Now he just seems to go through his day doing crossword puzzles, drinking monster amounts of coffee and biding his time until h ...more
Ms. Yingling
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Mr. Kermit is entering his 30th year of teaching, and he's already put in for early retirement. He started his career full of grand ideals and enthusiasm, but a testing scandal over 25 years ago sucked the life out of him, and he spends his days handing out worksheets and doing the crossword while drinking coffee from a huge cup called "the toilet bowl". In order to push him to quit even earlier, the evil superintendent assigns him to a special class with a handful of st
Katy Noyes
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfect 'Mr Chips'-like uplifting fare for KS2/3.

A good teacher gone to seed. A class of misfits the system has given up on. While you might guess how the story is generally going to unfold, it was an absolute pleasure listening to the multiple narrators tell their story of a year in the Unteachables.

The protagonist arguably is Kiana, only registering at the school for a few weeks while her mum is away working, and due to her stepmother's preoccupation with a baby, finds herself in a 'special cl
Melanie Dulaney
Gordon Korman just keeps on bringing heart-warming and humorous fabulousness to my middle grade readers... and to the adults who read along with them. I enjoyed his more action-filled MasterMinds trilogy as well as the Swindle books with problem-solving Griffin and his friends, but Mr. Korman has really found his element with books like Slacker, Ungifted, Supergifted and now The Unteachables. SPS-8 is a class of difficult students, hard to manage and even harder to teach, but when they get a bur ...more
Yasmeena
Sep 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
I mean......

this is by Gordon Korman of course it's gonna be good
Anita Eti
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
For someone who officially qualifies as an adult, I enjoyed this way more than I should have. Obviously, it's for younger readers and the writing seems juvenile at times, but it's a story that can touch the heart of a lot of people who might have been considered "unteachable" in school. Very funny in sections and sad in others, I think this is a book that will appeal to a lot of kids!
Thanks Edelwiess+ for an ARC of this book!
Jill
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: publisher-arc
Zachary Kermit has been teaching for a long time. He’s in his last year before he can take early retirement, and he’s just cruising with his giant coffee mug until June, when he can finally hang it all up and live a life of leisure. But the school’s superintendent has different plans for Mr. Kermit. He’s still mad at the cheating scandal that embarrassed him all those years ago, as it was Mr. Kermit’s student who masterminded the whole thing. So now, he’s trying to get Mr. Kermit to quit before ...more
Tasya Dita
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an e-ARC of this book through Edelweiss Plus in exchange for an honest review

When I first requested this book, I was hoping for a funny yet touching read. This book fulfills both.

In Greenwich Middle School, there's a class of 6 kids called The Unteachables- basically, your class of delinquent. This is where Kiana, a newcomer, stumbled into and got herself placed, and where Mr. Kermit, a veteran teacher with a scandal that still haunted him, got placed. Everyone in the school had alrea
Blessing
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Korman never fails. He was recommended to me from one of my friends a while back and when this came out I was able to get a hold of it pretty quickly! A very "worth-my-time" read. I enjoyed how each chapter was a different person in this 8th grade class of "Unteachables" POV of what's going on in the classroom against the backdrop of what you see as a whole from the outside. There arise misunderstandings and miscommunications. The perceived ideas we generally have about what a "type" of person o ...more
Sharon
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
4th&up
Teacher Zachary Kermit is just counting out the days until he can retire, but the superintendent (an old nemesis) is not going to make his last year easy. In an effort to make him quit and lose his pension, Mr. Kermit is assigned to teach the Unteachables- a self-contained class containing a handful of students that no one else wants or can deal with.
What starts out as a battle between teacher and students turns into something else, something more. This bunch of misfits just might hav
Renee
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found The Unteachables to be hilariously funny with a depth of character and themes that spoke deeply to my heart. At times I found it to be charming and other times remarkably sad, It brought to the forefront that everyone counts. Everyone is teachable – even the teacher!

This book reminds us to look past society’s labels, to get to know the real person right in front of you for who they really are. To not let others define you but to search and find out who you are and what you want to be. Th
Susie
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Edelweiss for an advanced copy of this book. I really enjoyed it! There are aspects of this that appeal to both students and adults who are tired of some of the shams exaggerated here. Calling one character "Jake Terranova" who was part of a cheating scandal, the "Goodbunnies" that the students call rabbit-butts, and the superintendent who is over the top-- or is he?

Sure, much of this is implausible, but what matters is that it is fun! I could see reluctant readers eating this up, a
Lonna Pierce
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For all my burned-out teacher friends, this totally fictional, unrealistic, and inspirational mid-grade novel will lift your spirits immensely! Told from various "unteachable" student and faculty viewpoints, each voice will ring true to teachers. Mr. Kermit started teaching with enthusiasm and a bright vision. After a cheating scandal was unfairly blamed on him, he's been barely coasting to early retirement. Punished by a scathing superintendent that wants to see him fail, Mr. Kermit is assigned ...more
Darla
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is indeed hilarious. The cover is a clue to what is contained inside. I was also inspired and touched by the relationship Mr. Kermit built with a group of students that the school had given up on. In alternating chapters we see the story from the seven kids in the classroom as well as Mr. Kermit and other supporting characters. The different POV will give plenty of kids a character to relate to personally. Teachers and kids will enjoy this book -- hopefully as a read aloud.

A big thank
Gayle
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Unteachables. The unreachables. The "bad" kids, the kids no one wants to deal with....and one teacher who has long since given up. Written in the same format as Restart.... will provide you will different points of view from classroom SCS-8. Why are these kids here? Who decided they were Unteachables? Read this and find the magic of a true teacher, no matter how "washed up" they are.
I absolutely loved it.
LeeAnn
5 stars. Yes, I know. I'm a sucker for quirky characters and this story abounds with those. And yes again, this probably couldn't happen in real life. But, all that aside, this is Korman at his best. Humorous, inspiring, and relatable. Full of friendship, acceptance, problem solving, and sticking up for what--or who--you believe in. Highly recommended.

Note: I received an ARC of this book from the publisher.
LeeAnn
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was incredible! From a teacher's perspective, I found it fun and inspirational. From a student's viewpoint, it's funny and definitely not boring. I love the zany plot lines. And s9mehow this felt a lot like the Breakfast Club for middle school? I highly recommend this book --- especially for teachers who struggle with burn out. The kids are worth it!
Librariann
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Suspension of disbelief required, but otherwise an entertaining (if dated feeling) school story. I feel like this title isn't that different than the Korman books I read and loved in the early 1990s, as it seems rooted in the same old stereotypes of "kids with troubles" and caricatures of adults. Kids who like straightforwardness in their stories might enjoy.
Rustin Verret
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing Gordon Korman book! I was rushing to finish this because Gordon Korman is going to our school TOMORROW. I'm so exited. This book is about a group of kids who have anger issues, can't read or constantly fall asleep in class. One year, they get stuck with the one teacher who ignores them.

Still reading: HEARTLESS by Marissa Meyer and DUMPLIN' by Julie Murphy
Josh Newhouse
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 19jan
This worked 90 percent of the time as a story about a burned out teacher rediscovering his spark and a class being inspired to care... Ribbit indeed! Plus a reference to No More Dead Dogs which tipped me off to a smile... it’s Gordon Korman at his best!
Leigh Holtapp
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! Korman is one of my favorite authors of middle/high school fiction. As a media specialist, I try to read what my students are reading, and this book is not surprisingly a winner! Great job with the theme of the story. A must read for teachers and students.
Alyssa
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Unteachables is another hit from Gordon Korman! I simply adored this middle grade story. Loved the characters and couldn't put this down. My students will love this one. Can't wait to share it with them.
Jane
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
thoroughly enjoyable middle-grade book by reigning king of school stories. such a good storyteller.
Priscilla Gonzalez
I read this book and so did my son. He enjoyed it very much.
Zack
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5
Boeds
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute book....really dig this author.
Pegge
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very uplifting----made me smile.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Korman wrote his first book, "This Can't be Happening at Macdonald Hall", when he was 12 years old, for a coach who suddenly found himself teaching 7th grade English. He later took that episode and created a book out of it, as well, in "The Sixth Grade Nickname Game", wherein Mr. Huge was based on that 7th grade teacher.

Korman moved to New York City, where he studied film and film writing. While i