Start by marking “Manic Kingdom” as Want to Read:
Manic Kingdom

Manic Kingdom

Could that disheveled young woman - rooting around in the trash for potatoes and clothes - possibly be a med student? The unthinkable becomes reality when you are seduced by the Manic Kingdom. It can upend your seemingly pitch-perfect existence, thrusting you into a world where your inhibitions, intellect, and instincts are powerless to save you. Join Dr. Erin Stair on the ...more
Paperback
Published January 19th 2018 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Manic Kingdom, please sign up.
Erin Stair It wasn't that hard. It's hard for me to go back and read it now, though. Can't explain that. But it was easier writing it as a novel-- biographical f…moreIt wasn't that hard. It's hard for me to go back and read it now, though. Can't explain that. But it was easier writing it as a novel-- biographical fiction. It was way more fun that way. I didn't even know that was a "thing" till after I finished writing the book. (less)
Erin Stair You hit the nail on the head! I struggled with writing it in this way, because readers, who are logical, would be turned off by the illogical becoming…moreYou hit the nail on the head! I struggled with writing it in this way, because readers, who are logical, would be turned off by the illogical becoming logical and not relate to the main character as well. Unless you suffered a breakdown, that is. If you've gone through a breakdown, the irrational becoming rational won't feel so foreign. :) (less)

Start your review of Manic Kingdom
Erin Stair
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I rated my own book! haha-
Guys, this is actually under an "Erin Stair" who isn't ME. I'm the author!
The true page for the Manic Kingdom book that is connected to my REAL author page is here:

Shelli
Nov 30, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Update! For those of you who saw the Community Question harshly criticizing a one-star reviewer of this book, please be aware that it was written by the author's sister without author Erin Stair's knowledge, let alone sanction.

Because my Spidey senses told me that Erin might not have known about the question and might also be alarmed by it given the unwritten code of ethics we virulently hold our authors to here on Goodreads ("THOU SHALT NOT SPAZ OUT AT NEGATIVE REVIEWS!"), I went ahead and not
Shan Stair bushong
This book engrossed me from the start. It is the true story of a pretty, and intelligent young woman in medical school who finds herself in the midst of a mental downward spiral, leading herself to put herself in situations of unknown and peril. Stair writes her story with raw honesty, and is able to find humor at times in her experiences. I could not put it down as I kept wanting to know how her story and life turned out. This book is not a self-help book, but her memoir of her personal experie ...more
Gabriel Nathan
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an era where, as far as I can see, people question nothing. We experience the world in a very narrow sphere, where our views make us comfortable, as do our friends and family who share our views and values-- everyone else is, well, other. Dangerous. We don't question, because we have perused our curated newsfeeds and Facebook walls and we have been insulated to believe whatever we feel is right.

Erin Stair is an author who questions everything; even her own mind and her own perceptions.
Caitlin Fisher
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That was so good. You made me feel like I was reliving my own breakdown again. And the way you bring out the bad and good in people- the complications and nuances-- amazing! I like how King isn't just a horrible homeless rapist, etc., - he's a person-- that must have been so hard to write.
Eric
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways, memoir
Briefly: received as a Goodreads Giveaway in exchange for an unbiased review. One of the best of these I think I’ve received so far in both content and craft- a gripping memoir written with the right amount of reflection.
Dr. Laura
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was incredibly well-written and an amazing journey into what it FEELS like to break down and join ranks with the other outliers and eccentrics of life on a bizarre yet highly entertaining, engrossing, often funny adventure. It's so raw and real, and Dr. Erin Stair, for her first novel, unbelievably taps into the core of what makes us human. She perfectly shows the reader how a seemingly perfect life can change, almost over night. This book came as a recommendation to me from a friend w ...more
Lavender
Mar 23, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, giveaways, kindle
Placeholder

I won this book via Goodreads Giveaways.
Lourdes
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book through Goodreads.

Thank you for sharing your story with us. Great page turner. I'd definitely recommend.

Sandy Crossley
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and informative about how our psychic can mess us up.Manic personality

aware about mental awareness. You are wonderful for following your instincts and helping others to defeat their demons as well.
Sara Stevenson
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A quick and easy read with a great focus on mental health! There were a few times throughout the second half of the book that I really questioned Becka’s motives and her behaviors, and I despised Kong’s character from the moment Becka met him.
C (InkBlottings)
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was intense, to say the least. I have no clue what to really make of it.
Kim
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
intriguing read

I enjoyed it! Great story line and easy to follow along. Thank you for sharing your story with us. :)
Jada Smith
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is for geniuses! She nails the feeling of mental illness out of the park. It's an epic read, a total page-turner, a total thriller and totally worth every second. Well done!
Joseph
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great trip down the rabbit hole of mania. This is a must read for anyone who wants to know what crazy is like.
Heatherton
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once I picked it up I couldn't put it down. I read it in one setting. It was a captivating look inside something that is so often stigmatized and unspoken with truth and wit.
Mina Merrit
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book blew me away.
It's not a feel good book, no, so if you are trying to escape your dismal reality, this book isn't for you. Read Harry Potter for that. This book leaves you with a kind of darkness. That's why it's so darn poetic to me. I'm writing that, because I noticed reviewers tend to only give "positive" reviews to books with happy endings that allow you to escape your lives and not confront your own truths and that don't really get to the crux of life. Stair gets to that and it hits
Winter
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where has this writer been all my life?!?! Totally Brilliant.
First, Stair writes extremely well and keeps story moving.
As an ex-therapist , you brilliantly showed that the mental health system is a bunch of hogwash and you brilliantly
Don Clintona
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My wife was up all night reading this book, so I decided to give it a go. She said it makes you uncomfortable but you can't put it down. Oh, BOY! Was she right!
This book makes you uneasy. First, it's very well crafted and Stair skips out on all the unnecessary baggage you don't need. She leaves A LOT to your imagination. She leaves you wondering, but it's absolutely perfect for the story she wants to tell.
As someone who has worked in the mental health field, I've been longing for a book that s
James Godfield
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant.
You show how absolutely "insane" it is to diagnose people with certain illnesses. You show what a sham it is and, yes, you show that WE and doctors don't really know much about causes and cures, do we?
You will shake up the entire mental health industry and all those zombies walking around on psych pills, not realizing that they are being duped by a billion-dollar industry. And the beauty of this novel is that you "SHOW" this rather than write about it in a boring way.
Dr.
Michael McGurk
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Erin Stair is a remarkable woman and author. This was a text book page tuner novel as I think I read 90% of it in one go. It is a fascinating, open book, no holds barred look into the life of a talented young woman, how life throws you curves and you can strike out or hit back. Erin hits back, hard. She comes through tough times on top and shows she has the right stuff. Fantastic read, opens your eyes to things you personally may never have felt or noticed. Well worth your time. A spelling bindi ...more
Dina
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, how sometimes you literally stumble on great books by accident. This is a great non-fiction by a medical doctor that talks about a case of temporary insanity caused in my opinion by the stress of the med school and lack of sleep. 2 weeks of living with a homeless man, like a homeless woman and a sudden re-wakening. I needed it today. Do read - its awesome. The style of writing is light and entertaining but deep thoughts permeate enough to make one question her own life.
Joshua Segal
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it.
Couldn't put it down.
Best page-turner I've read all year!!!

Can't wait to read her next one.

HJ Pallori
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That was crazy.
I definitely felt it.
Raya Muller
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love. Random note, Are you single????
Bobby Whinters
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not my typical read, but I couldn't put the book down.

Def not a book if you want to "escape reality." But well written.
Lori Stein
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well-written and thoughtful, Dr. Stair
Mina Merrit
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book blew me away.
It's not a feel good book, no, so if you are trying to escape your dismal reality, this book isn't for you. Read Harry Potter for that. This book leaves you with a kind of darkness. That's why it's so darn poetic to me. I'm writing that, because I noticed reviewers tend to only give "positive" reviews to books with happy ends that allow you to escape your lives and not confront your own truths and that don't really get to the crux of life. Stair gets to that and it hits y
Winter
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where has this writer been all my life?!?! Totally brill!!!
First, Stair writes extremely well and keeps story moving.
Secondly, THANK YOU for writing with such honesty. I'm so sick of the privileged white girl memoirs or ones that are so wrapped up in convention, they make you want to vomit. ( And I was a little nervous, seeing she is a white woman with several advanced degrees.)
As an ex-therapist , you brilliantly show that the mental health system is a bunch of hogwash and you brilliantly sh
Adora Myers
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it

• The Impact of a Single Event
  • The Book of Flora (The Road to Nowhere, #3)
  • Every Trich in the Book: Overcoming my Hair Pulling Disorder
  • Manic: A Memoir
  • The Only Girl in the World
  • Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends on It
  • The Drama of the Gifted Child: The Search for the True Self
  • The New Confessions of an Economic Hit Man
  • Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving
  • What Women Want--What Men Want: Why the Sexes Still See Love and Commitment So Differently
  • Lost Daughter: A Daughter's Suffering, a Mother's Unconditional Love, an Extraordinary Story of Hope and Survival.
  • The Doors of Perception
  • A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose, #1)
  • Breaking Open the Head: A Psychedelic Journey Into the Heart of Contemporary Shamanism
  • The Search for the Manchurian Candidate: The CIA & Mind Control
  • Practical Artificial Intelligence For Dummies
  • POWER: Surviving and Thriving After Narcissistic Abuse: A Collection of Essays on Malignant Narcissism and Recovery from Emotional Abuse
  • Food of the Gods: The Search for the Original Tree of Knowledge
Written by my friend:

Erin grew up in a small town in Pennsylvania called Trucksville, where there are more cows than people. She was her high school valedictorian. She played soccer her entire life and was recruited to play soccer at West Point, the U.S. Military Academy, was nominated by both Senator Santorum and Congressman Kanjorski & somehow went and survived. She graduated with a dual degre