Start by marking “Autism: How to raise a happy autistic child” as Want to Read:
Autism: How to raise a happy autistic child

Autism: How to raise a happy autistic child

'A wise SatNav for what is often a bewildering, or even scary, zone of parenting. The book offers real-world, road-tested, child-first and family-friendly advice; while also highlighting the twin truths that autism is not a tragedy, and that adaptation and acceptance are not resignation' David Mitchell, bestselling author and co-translator of The Reason I Jump

'A must-read
Published September 4th 2018 by Spring

To ask other readers questions about Autism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Autism

Start your review of Autism: How to raise a happy autistic child
Tracy Enright
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author of this book has an autistic child and has decided to do what many of us do – hit the books and websites to find out as much as she can so she can help her child. In this case, she has gone one step further and talked to many adults with autism to find out what their experiences were and what was done/could have been done to make their lives easier and less stressful. The chapters are Defining Autism, Is my Child Autistic?, The Diagnostic Process, What is it Like to be Autistic? Senso ...more
Rebecca Burland
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for parents of young autistic children. I like how it is very clear and thorough in explaining all the hoops autism parents may be expected to jump through to get their child the right support, and how it incorporates the voices of autistic people. There is some great common sense advice on everyday challenges as well. I would have liked a bit more detail on how to help a child with sensory under-sensitivities, and the whole thing felt to be aimed at parents of younger child ...more
Elisa
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pragmatic and useful, positive overview

A very useful bird’s eye view of different aspects of autism and being the parent of autistic children. Positive and constructive, would definitely recommend both to those who are familiar with the issues, as it brings everything nicely together, and to those new to them.
Jenn
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book about understanding autism that I’ve been able to finish. I’m so sick of the focus being on how to “fix” autism and this is the first book I’ve found that shifts that focus onto how we as a society can accommodate autistic children and adults. Some of the resources are specific to the UK but it was all still perfectly relevant. Highly recommend!
Abby Booth
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honest and Enjoyable

As parent to an Autistic boy in the UK, I have found this book so helpful and relatable from many aspects. Would definitely recommend to any parent/carer of an Autistic child who like me isn't sure where to go next or what the future may hold, and just wants to make their lives one happy now.
Jose Ramirez
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Lo leí para conocer más de la condición, pero el libro funciona más para saber en específico qué hacer?, a qué escuelas ir?, cómo llenar formularios de los doctores?, cómo hablar con los maestros?, etc. Ah! también ayuda si vives en Londres, porque casi todos los tips solo aplican si vives allá.
Caz Van
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Honest without oversharing, helpful without being prescriptive, positive without being unrealistic. If you're the parent of an autistic child and you're looking for an alternative to the doom-and-gloom narrative then this is it.
Marie Buckley
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My review is massive! so check it out here :)

Ella
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was so moved by the ending paragraph. Not many parents can realize that their children’s happiness is actually the most wonderful achievement a child can possibly obtain.
Maryann Carman
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good explanations, guide to interventions, ehcp application
Jenn
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Helpful, sensible, clear and humane. I would recommend this book to any parent in the UK whose child has recently received an autism diagnosis and to grandparents and other carers too!
Zoe
Mrs Kelly Hunt
Oct 14, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism
  • The Killing Fog (The Grave Kingdom, #1)
  • Dumped, Actually
  • Odd Girl Out: An Autistic Woman in a Neurotypical World
  • The Five: The Lives of Jack the Ripper's Women
  • Before and After: The Incredible Real-Life Stories of Orphans Who Survived the Tennessee Children's Home Society
  • The Smartest Guys in the Room: The Amazing Rise and Scandalous Fall of Enron
  • The Buy Side: A Wall Street Trader's Tale of Spectacular Excess
  • Confronting Christianity: 12 Hard Questions for the World's Largest Religion
  • Wall of Silence
  • The Adults
  • Unpregnant
  • Ikigai: The Japanese Life Philosophy
  • Love for Imperfect Things / The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • What to Expect the Second Year: From 12 to 24 Months
  • Mr Pikes: The Story Behind The Ibiza Legend
  • Too Big to Fail: The Inside Story of How Wall Street and Washington Fought to Save the Financial System from Crisis — and Themselves