Start by marking “In The Absence of You (Rock Gods #2)” as Want to Read:
In The Absence of You (Rock Gods #2)

In The Absence of You

(Rock Gods #2)

The gig was simple enough.
I was to take over as the merch girl for Swedish rock god, Emil Vinter.
He was gorgeous, magnetic, sexy.
Worshipped by the masses for his sick talent.

I'm Aishe Xodyar, a hot-blooded Gypsy with a flair for dark love.
I felt safe; no way Emil's sunny, extroverted disposition could feed my fixation.

But under the surface, lurked a self-destructive artist
Published February 4th 2018 (first published June 24th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about In The Absence of You, please sign up.

Start your review of In The Absence of You (Rock Gods #2)
Myla
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This book is so fucked up good, which got me reading and reading until I reach the end. Author Sunniva Dee really knows how to create an anti-hero characters that makes me want to take a breather before go back to the story.

I already like Aishe from the beginning of this book who is, a merch girl of the group, hopelessly in love with Emil, the lead singer of rock star group Clown Irruption, but the problem is Emil is not over his ex. Emil can have any girl at his beck and call, so getting laid i
Sunniva Dee
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Keep a glass of wine within arm's length while you read this baby.

You know how people say they shout at the pages?
That they love to hate characters?
That they didn't see "that" coming?
Well, they won't be exaggerating when they say that about In The Absence Of You.
Emil takes self-indulgent prick to a new dimension without even realizing it.

If you love dark romance, angst, intense passion, to dig into the obsessive nature of other's souls, then—In The Absence of You might just be for you.

Life on th
Cheryl McIntyre
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book has it all:
Sexy rock star—check.
Mysterious gypsy chick—check.
Angst, heart break, triangle—check, check, and check!

Incredible writing—check.
Amazing story line—check.
An author who isn’t afraid to throw out the rulebook and take chances—CHECK.

Emil is the epitome of self-absorbed rock god.
Aishe is the sweet vixen who takes a liking to his tortured and broken heart.
Zoe is the ex who fractured said heart.
And Troy…is the key to breaking Emil’s hold over Aishe.
These four come together in a thr
Karin
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 ✨✨✨✨

Ive read a few books by Sunniva Dee and I've become a huge cheerleader for her writing style.

Now even though I loved the book and the storyline and I even loved the brooding, heartbroken rocker Emil. Now the heroine Aishe I'm having a love/hate relationship with her. She was so sweet, loving and I understood why she felt the need to wait for Emil to wake up and stop pining for his ex but, she was so weak and kinda pathetic when it came to him. She was so blinded by her love she didn't s
Romance Novel Giveaways Lauren Seiberling
Sunniva is BRILLIANT!!!

This is not the typical contemporary romance. None of Sunniva's books are. Which is why I LOVE reading them!

This is one of those creatively brilliant works in that it shows light by showing darkness; much of the book dealt with some dark, heavy issues, but it made the ending that much brighter.

I was intrigued from the beginning with Aishe's mysterious "affliction." I eagerly turned the pages to find what it was all about. And Sunniva didn't disappoint. In fact, this whole
Virginia Cavanillas
2.5

He is a broken rock star, whose girlfriend has left him shattered in pieces.
She is the merch girl, who talks about a strange gypsy plague. About a love so intense it kills.
This is a story of unrequited love, unreciprocated love, toxic love. But this is not a love story. Not itself. Not as you think.

"As long as I don't run into my soul mate, I'll be fine. If I do though, I know for a fact that it is checkmate"

This is a shocking book. A risky modern 'tragedy' about a girl who falls in lov
Lynn Vroman
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sunniva always pushes the envelope, and does it with expertise, but this time she has outdone even herself. Emil and Aishe’s story isn’t a cookie-cutter romance where everything falls neatly into place.

These beautifully flawed characters suck you in and force you to experience their ups and downs.
Emil is not the typical bad-boy rock star—HE IS SO MUCH MORE! You love him and hate him all at the same time and ultimately end up rooting for him, even though he’s stirred up all these confusing thin
Melyssa Winchester
description

Title: In the Absence of You
Author: Sunniva Dee
Genre: Dark Contemporary Romance, New Adult
Series or Standalone: Standalone
Rating: ★★★1/2 Stars (Rounded to 4* for Goodreads & Amazon)

Review

description

Sunniva Dee, for almost three years, has been a go-to author for me. She’s one of those authors that other bloggers call “auto 1-click”. There hasn’t been a time yet where she’s released a book that I haven’t made it my job to be all over.

Which made Emil’s story a no brainer. Especially after the way he splash
Bianca
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

With every book she releases, the author blows me away with her versatile and unconventional writing style and stories. And… In The Absence Of You? Well, it doesn’t follow the rules.

“The plague.
The plague.
The love fire.
I. Am. Inflicted.”

Aishe is hired to be a merchandise girl for a super popular indie band, Clown Irruption. She is running from her past and love. Not willing to face it, she finds something in the front man of the band, Emil.
D. King
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You never know what you are going to get when you open up a Sunniva Dee book. Well, you do. You get great writing, real characters, angst, and emotion. What you don't know is where she'll take the story.

And this book is no exception.

I don't think I've ever read a book quite like this one before. I had no idea who to root for. Ms. Dee's description of this book is completely accurate. Emil is the anti-hero. Aishe is the anti-heroine. You care about them because Sunniva Dee is the master at making
Angela McPherson
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
In the Absence of You will take an emotional toll on the reader. It's raw and gritty and completely different than what I'm used to. There isn't sunshine and rainbows, but it honest—which is what I loved most about this story, its unique honesty, though brutal at times, I didn't expect anything less. Sunniva Dee has a way of creating the most powerful characters, and this story is no different. I read In the Absence of You in one sitting because I had to learn more, had to figure out what these ...more
Connie Lafortune
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**An ARC was provided in exchange for an honest review**

In The Absence of You was full of angst, love, and raw emotion. In fact, it was so emotive that it brought me to my knees. Sunniva warned us it wasn't your typical romance. Did I listen? Absolutely not...

Emil's the vocalist for Clown Irruption
Zoe's the love of his life..
Aishe's the merch girl for Clown Irruption
Two's company, three's a crowd..

Emil feels the loss of Zoe deep down in his soul. But she's gone and Aishe is constantly soothing h
Esther Haddie's Haven
DISCLAIMER: I received an E-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I am a little out of sorts. The last chapters still have me . . . on edge. With a couple deep, dark, tough, touchy subjects, I need a few days before I share a full review. ♥

Sunniva is a genius! This book was pure brilliance. The characters; the depth of how far a person's mind can go when they know they are missing something in their life. Or when they realize they will never be able to grasp what they think need to f
Tracey Parker
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-to-read
First off, I have to say I love Sunniva's style of writing. It captures you and entwines you into the story. This story has all the angst, frustration, hope, love, so you are constantly left unbalanced. I loved Aishe, she was such an easy character to root for. While things get crazy, you know what is right and you cheer when things all clear up. Another incredible story by Sunniva Dee. A must read!
April Martin
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sunniva Dee creates characters that are frustrating, emotional, a bit unstable, and definitely unpredictable. AND passionate, funny, thrilling, and lovable. In The Absence of You, you will not be able to guess what will happen next, and you certainly won't always be happy about it, but you won't be able to put it down, either.
Aly Plum
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars!

Well, that was an unexpected ending.

This book... what to say. I'm a little heartbroken right now. I should wait till I calm down before writing my review.

But as the impulsive I am, I'm gonna do it.

This is the story about a band on a tour. Their vocalist, Emil, a beautiful boy, has his heart broken over her ex girlfriend. He's suffering an important depression because of it. And he finds a sort of relief from sleeping with different girls every night.
From what is described in this boo
Brandi
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sunniva Dee writes such emotional books. I ate half a mini cheesecake then some after reading this book. It dealt with such a heavy topic that you didn't see coming. Maybe you did but you didn't want it to be so.

Aishe is a gypsy girl on the run. She figures if she runs from the love fire she won't ever be sick a day in her life. She hooks up with Clown Irruption and begins to set her sights on Emil. They begins such a tumultuous relationship it borders on so not healthy.

Emil has only had his sig
Kristy /Obsessed with Romance
6 Stars

This is the one. This book right here is the one I've been waiting for. I knew Sunniva had this in her. Her last three were great, I loved them...but this book I ADORED. I can't even explain how happy I am right now.

You have to know I'm a sucker for a bad boy rocker so I expected to like Emil. Plus he was entertaining in Walking Heartbreak and I had high hopes. But oh my God I never expected to love him like I do. Passionately! I never expected him to make me cry for him, to break my heart,
Derna
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**4.5 Stars**

***I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***

After reading the synopsis for In The Absence of You by Sunniva Dee. I was certainly intrigued. The book sounded very different from the typical New Adult books that I read. And after finishing this book I have to say it was, and the author’s view on the main are characters and that “This isn’t your typical romance” was spot on.

I’m not going into the story because the synopsis gives you all you need to know, but w
Cassie
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars!

Sunniva does it again for me ~ she writes a story that is so different, so captivating, yet so real.

This story had many elements that made it interesting; Indy Alt Rock Band on tour, Gypsies, character names, dealing with depression and thoughts of suicide, strong friendships and family connections.

I felt complete range of emotions reading this one, it’s great when a book can do that! I can honestly say that it was a little difficult reading about suicidal thoughts but it was handled
Alyson Santos
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I like a good tragic hero. Give me an MC you can’t define in any romance clichés I know, and I’m hooked. Throw in a leading lady with the same compelling flaws and you have a masterpiece. To say this is a love story would be a lie. This is a life story of two broken souls searching for peace wherever they can find it. Sometimes that’s in each other, sometimes not, but neither of them has any illusion that life owes them happily ever afters. What they know is that there are slices of time wh ...more
Sioms
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sunniva warned us that In The Absence of You will be something very different and that we need to have an open mind while reading it. I was a bit confused about her warning...until I started reading it.

I have three words to describe this book: crazy, obsessive, and depressing. The characters, the plot, the relationships, back stories, the ending. You'll bite your nails off, hanging on the edge, waiting. You'll think you know how the story will end, but the joke's on you, this isn't the typical
Maria Young
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was another knock out from Sunniva. It was gritty and real and made me want to scream at times. I loved Emil's story and didn't expect it to end the way it did. This was such a great story, but definitely not for the faint of heart. I don't want to give anything away, so I'll keep it short. If you love Sunniva's books, you'll love this one too.
★ Belle The Bibliophile ★
Jul 07, 2016 marked it as not-interested-anymore  ·  review of another edition
Update: 9th of July, 2016

I finally got my spoilers and suffice to say that I will not be wasting my time on this. PM me for more info, I guess.

I need a little spoiler because there are way too much 5 stars reviews and I have trust issues. *side eyes* Not a very good combination. I don't want to waste my time for nothing. Thanks.
J
LaDonna
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Very Dark Electrified Guitars for In the Absence of You

I will start right off by saying this is one of the darker rockstar romances I have come across, but there is still something very, hmm, endearing is definitely not the word I am looking for, mesmerizing may be closer, but whatever the word I can't seem to grasp at the moment, there is something here that won't let you put it down, even if you aren't entirely sure you want to keep reading.

Emil is the lead singer of an alt-rock band, who se
Lulu
First, I will say that I read Walking Heartbreak first and I am not sure why it is not listed as a series or that the works are connected.

I was really excited when I saw that this book was about Emil. I really liked him and Zoe together previously. At the start, I was not a fan of Aishe because I felt loyal to Zoe and that did not change much throughout the story. I agree with the synopsis, which describes Aishe as an anti-heroine. This is a different kind of love story and a hard read especial
Mas
B. C. Booklover
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just...WOW

If you've haven't read the previous book in this series, please read Walking Heartbreak (the story of Bo and Nadia) before you read this one so you can become immersed in all the characters and have a better understanding of this amazing book.

In Bo's story we can't help but meet his 'loud' roommate and best friend, Emil, sensual, upbeat, outrageous and larger than life lead singer of the up and coming, Swedish indie/alt band, Clown Irruption(name kills me). He has always been the life
Caryl Almelor
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**I was given an ARC in exchange for a review**

Let's begin with how f*cked up this story is from the get go and I mean this in the nicest way possible. This is a type of story that I have never read before, but I found Emil, Zoe and Aishe's personalities not their careers somewhat relatable. I have met and have known people like this in my life. Their situations and the emotions carried on in the story end up being similar in real life, Emil is deeply in love with Zoe and Aishe wants what she th
« previous 1 3 4 next »
New Adult Book Club: #38/17 In the Absence of You by Sunniva Dee 44 63 Apr 26, 2017 11:26AM

• Night Shifts Black (NSB, #1)
  • Limelight (NSB, #4)
  • Caged Collection Sixth Street Bands Box Set (Sixth Street Bands #1 - #5)
  • Tracing Holland (NSB, #2)
  • The Power to Break (The Unbreakable Thread, #1)
  • Viper (NSB #3)
  • Down to You (Sixth Street Bands, #5)
  • The Invisible Thread (The Unbreakable Thread, #2)
  • Breaking the Rules (Inked Hearts, #5)
  • Take My Heart
  • Times Like These (Blue is the Color, #1)
  • Rockaway Bride
  • Watch Me Unravel (Blue is the Color, #2)
  • Ridge (The Crow Brothers, #4)
  • My One Regret
  • An NSB Wedding
  • Saving Noah (Perception #1)
  • Never Again (Never Blue #2)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Sunniva Dee is a USA Today and Amazon top 100 bestselling author with an eclectic taste in books. Born and raised in Norway, Sunniva lived in the United States for 17 years before returning to the mothership, where she sucks inspiration from trolls and barn gnomes and cold little mermaids popping their heads out of the fjords. Oh, and Spotify. Always Spotify.

Sunniva dabbles in literary romance, ro

Rock Gods (3 books)
  • Walking Heartbreak (Rock Gods #1)
  • Seven Minutes 'til Midnight (Rock Gods, #3)