Start by marking “The Lakes (The Lakes, Prequel Novella)” as Want to Read:
The Lakes (The Lakes, Prequel Novella)

The Lakes (The Lakes, Prequel Novella)

A noble deed, a rash decision and an ordinary day turns into a day one family will never forget.

December 1997, Navigator Bay, New Zealand. Eight-year-old Eli Lake has a strong moral compass and a rebellious heart. When he is honour-bound to defend his younger sister Becca by punching the school bully in the playground, he doesn’t stop to think about the consequences.
ebook
Published March 30th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Lakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lakes

Start your review of The Lakes (The Lakes, Prequel Novella)
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Firstly I absolutely adore this author. No matter what she writes I devour. This is no different.

This is a prequel novella. It’s an introduction to the characters and a glimpse into the story and what a great start it is too. The blurb says enough so I’m not gonna say anymore of the storyline.

My heart broke for eight year old Eli. So much weight on his little shoulders.

I can’t wait to read more in this series. This author certainly knows how to pull on my heart strings.
cupcakes and bookshelves
The Lakes is a Prequel Novella for a major forthcoming book series by Amanda Dick and I was hooked by it from the very first page. Although a short read, it was a fantastic introduction to characters and situation, the writing just drew me in and made me desperate to keep turning the pages til the very end. Beautiful writing, the emotion and description in this book warmed my heart and left me with the most wonderful feeling at times, and broke my heart in others. I absolutely LOVED it as I'm ...more
Johanna Rae
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It may not be a long read, but this story still packs a punch. Beautifully written with characters so real, you feel like they are children you've actually met. There is a lot of attention to detail, great scene setting, and a plot that tugs at the heartstrings. I'm sure most readers will relate to Eli, a young boy who just wants to stand up for his sister, and ends up on a far different path than he imagined. I just wanted to reach out and give him a hug. There are a number of 'Kiwi' touches in ...more
Annie
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books-read
What a terrific lead in to a series. The tale starts with an intriguing scene of an emotional young man, then heads back in time to a beautifully written story from the point of view of a young boy and a memorable summer’s day. I could almost feel the sun on my skin and taste the icecream, it took me back to my childhood summers in New Zealand. I lost myself in the story and was disappointed when it came to an end. What a way to guarantee that you will read the next book. I loved the characters ...more
Kari Beasley
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gifted-books
Loved this short, sweet book. I can't wait to find out more, that's my only complaint is being left hanging at the end.

After getting in trouble at school for fighting, Eli takes off from school to seek the advice of his nanna. Along the way he meets Nova, a strange girl with a somewhat carefree attitude. They spend a great day together.

The book leaves you hanging and wanting more, which is good thing.

Jeanne Richardson
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and I’m voluntarily leaving a review.

This is the 1st book I've read written by Amanda Dick; I really liked her writing style.

The story line hooks you from the very beginning and keeps you hooked throughout the entire book.

Sandi
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novella is a great start to the new series. It really drew me in and hooked me. I can't wait to read the rest of this series. I love Amanda Dick's writing she has a way with her descriptions, that you can really visualize the area that the book take place at. The characters really drew me in and I had an emotional connection with this book.
Deb
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This short prequel sets the stage for the new series. I thought the storyline was fantastic. The characters and the scenes were written with a great deal of descriptive prose and wonderful dialogue. You could feel when reading this book...feel the emotions the characters felt and feel like you are the one in the scenes as the story plays out. Well done.
Ashley
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was short and to the point. I look forward to more in this series. I loved Dick's writing style and the character development!

Kimberly
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is a good short emotional read. The story is beautifully written and the characters are real. The book is a good start to the series.

Katie Hansen
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the story line and the two main characters this was the first that I have read from this author. After reading this book I will definitely be checking out more of their work.
Chitra
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I smiled and I also cried a little reading this novella. It reminds me of childhood memories and of my brother, who lost my mom around Eli's age. It's a short but a good and emotional read. I can't wait to read the next book!
Karen
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a prequel to the 'Lakes series' that is engaging, emotionally storyline. The characters are intriguing and well developed. I liked reading this book, cannot wait for the next book.
Tracy Skerratt
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I got immersed into this beautifully written tale from the word go. Looking forward to finding out more about The Lakes. Amanda never disappoints.
Shontaye Harkness
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book via Booksprout." Special story that was well written and a joy to read.
Barb VanderWel
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this & I can't wait for more.
I will be also leaving a review on Goodreads @ Amazon.
And letting everyone know about it.
So i gave it a 5 Stars.
Judy Nickless
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Novella- a short novel or long short story.
MY definition -An engaging glimpse into a story that has so much more to tell.
The Lakes is a great little read that swiftly draws you into the character's lives.
The day in the life of young Eli is full of adventure and great company that gave me deja vu of reading The Famous Five books as a kid.

Please Amanda,don't make us wait too long to enjoy more of this compelling story.
Brenda
Apr 01, 2018
Kate
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great beginning for Amanda's new series! As usual she captures your attention from the first page and keeps you wanting more!
I love the descriptive way Amanda writes, she effortlessly transports you right into the story so that you almost feel you are right there alongside the characters. Really can't wait to read the next installment!
Melyssa Winchester

Title: The Lakes
Author: Amanda Dick
Genre: Contemporary Fiction, Family Saga
Series or Standalone: Series, Novella
Rating:

description

I'm always moved when I pick up a story by this incredible author. I've been taken away, had my heart broken and repaired again, with her romances in the past. The connection to characters, how real they appear even in this fictional setting, it's outstanding. I feel like I'm right there with them as they navigate their lives and it's a beautiful thing. It makes her books the
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing

My heart broke for eight year old Eli. So much weight on his little shoulders.

cupcakes and bookshelves

Rating:

Kari Beasley
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gifted-books

The book leaves you hanging and wanting more, which is good thing.

Johanna Rae

Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books-read
Barb VanderWel
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this & I can't wait for more.
I will be also leaving a review on Goodreads @ Amazon.
And letting everyone know about it.
So i gave it a 5 Stars.
Tracy Skerratt
Shontaye Harkness
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Judy Nickless
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Novella- a short novel or long short story.
MY definition -An engaging glimpse into a story that has so much more to tell.

Amanda Dick
Feb 05, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Bobbie Pene
Oct 11, 2018
Neepa Shah-Chittur
Nov 09, 2018
Jan 18, 2019
Amanda Dick is a night-owl, coffee addict, movie buff and music lover. She loves to do DIY, believes in love at first sight, in women's intuition and in following your heart. She is rather partial to dark chocolate and believes in the power of a good vanilla latte.

What lights her fire is writing stories about real people in trying situations. She is insanely curious about how we, as human beings,