Start by marking “Once Burned (Anchor Point, #6)” as Want to Read:
Once Burned (Anchor Point, #6)

Once Burned (Anchor Point #6)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  110 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Captain Mark Thomas’s world has been tossed on its head: A long overdue but still unexpected divorce. A promotion out of left field. Last-second orders to a ship where careers go to die. As the dust settles in his new home, he barely recognizes his life, but he sure recognizes the loneliness creeping in.

Diego Ramírez wants nothing to do with the military or its men. Not af
Published April 9th 2018 by Riptide Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Once Burned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Burned

Fabi
Apr 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
The fact that I'm reading book 6 of 6 in a series is a big clue considering I have more than a dozen unfinished series waiting their turn.

This was a simple, sweet love story until about 35% when we were let in to the hell that Diego lives with.
Someone knocked something over, and glass shattered. One of the employees shoved a shopping cart into the back of a row so it would tuck in like the others, and the metal clang almost sent me out of my crawling skin. An unhappy child shrieked, oblivious
.Lili.
Apr 09, 2018 added it
Shelves: m-m
You know, I requested this before the whole SH and Riptide mess started to unravel on March 8th. I figured I'd give it some time before attempting to read it, waited a few weeks. I couldn't get into it; I found the dialogue repetitive. I don't know if I couldn't get into it because of the writing, the whole mess that erupted, or probably both. This author has always been up and down for me.

DNF, no rating.
Zoe
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sensual, pensive, and timely!

Once Burned is an emotional romance featuring the recently divorced, newly promoted Captain Mark Thomas, and the wounded, disheartened Diego Ramírez as they discover that some things are worth fighting for and together they can overcome anything.

The writing is clear and precise. The characters are diligent, lonely, and skeptical. And the alluring plot is filled with flirty banter, longing, desire, doubt, angst, military politics, PTSD, compassion, support, friendship
Lelyana
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read the first five books in this series, so when I read this book, I was a little worried about the previous characters. Yeah I found and met Dalton, it was like a spoiler to me, LOL.
But okay, Dalton and Diego didn't worked out. Then came Mark. Apparently they have that 'chemistry', (cough), you know what I mean.
So one night leads to another, and 'suddenly' Mark and Diego couldn't say goodbye and getting addicted to one another.

But yeah, while Mark's previous life and the divorced did
Barb ~rede-2-read~
ARC provided by the publisher through Net Galley in exchange for an impartial review.

I expected an Anchor Point story about a Naval officer finding romance. But this was not a typical MM romance, nor was it quite like others in this series. The author brought a very important issue to the forefront in this one. I was shocked to learn that members of our armed forces can be deported after having served. And, this includes combat veterans!

In this story, Diego Ramirez was injured in Afghanistan a
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bgirls, ebook, mm

Review by The Blogger Girls.

Another solid installment! This one is a bit different from what I was expecting. While the other books carried some important themes, this one had a more serious tone and tackled another important issue – military who, for some reason or another, fail to follow through with obtaining citizenship leaving themselves vulnerable to deportation. I had no idea this problem existed, as I assumed you had to be a citizen in order to serve. But, apparently, such is not always
Julie   (*Happily Ever Chapter*)
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Once Burned is the 6th book in the Anchor Point series, but they can all be read as a stand alone. There is a character from the previous story that pops in now and then and is mentioned a few times, but it doesn't take anything away from the story if you don't know his story. I was really excited to read Diego's story and it didn't disappoint. I actually had no idea that some people who fought for this country and were promised citizenship for their service were later denied citizenship or depo ...more
Love Bytes Reviews
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4,5 heart review by Tori (Vicki)

Oh yea! Diego gets a story….

We met Diego in Going Overboard, the fifth book in this series. He is best friends/former fuck-buddies with Dalton (from book 5), and I was very curious about his backstory. We are told that he doesn’t date Navy men, which is what caused his breakup with Dalton, before they really had much of a start. It seems like Diego could easily have fallen for Dalton, if only he could have gotten past the no Navy rule. Now we find out WHY he has t
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie

4.5 Stars

Freshly divorced, after almost 19 yers of marriage, and newly stationed in Anchor Point, a small seaside town, Mark discovers the High~&~Tight, the local gay bar that caters to military guys. There he lays eyes on the bartender, Diego, but when he asks Diego to join him for coffee, Diego turns him down.

Diego doesn’t date military guys, especially the Navy ones. After 8 years of service he was discharged after being hurt in combat. While recovering, his green card expired and now h
Christi Snow
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
My Review:
Wow...what a really tough subject matter to tackle, but L.A. Witt did it beautifully. This book was wonderful...as is the entire series. Every book, every setup, and every couple are completely different, but I love them all.

This book is about Diego, an illegal who's scraping by, under the table as a bartender at the local gay bar. He spent 8 years in the Navy and got screwed when he got hurt on his last deployment...which sent his entire world and stability into a downward spiral.

Mar
Cee Brown
•*)4.5 stars
.•.•*) .•*)
(.• (.•`Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Mark's life changed with his divorce. Finally free to openly explore the other side of his sexuality should have been the icing on the cake. Yet, it all came with another set of issues...a move into management when he should have been thinking of retiring. A move across state. Falling for a man who wanted nothing to do with his kind.

When life handed you lemons...

He should have ran, fast. But no matter how hard he tried, Diego's on
Lelyana
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, arc, mm, netgalley

But yeah, while Mark's previous life and the divorced di
Avid Reader
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Once Burned (Anchor Point #6) by L.A. Witt
4 stars
M/M Military romance
Triggers: War injuries, discrimination, PTSD, Bi relationship
I was given this book for an honest review by Wicked Reads.

Mark and Diego are an opposites attract type couple when they first meet. Diego is trying to stay under the radar because despite how he was wronged by his country and the military, he wants to be in the US - he wants to be able to support himself and send money home to his family.

Mark is picking up his life
Angie
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a copy to read and review for Wicked Reads

I have read all the previous books in this series but it is not necessary to read this book. I hate to say it but this book really missed the mark for me. I really, really do not like just pages and pages of inner monologue. I need dialogue between characters!! I also dislike it when the same thing is repeated over and over again, let's not beat a dead horse folks!!! Thia book had both and it made me lose interest fast. Don't get me wrong the
Nicole
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
ARC reviewed for Netgalley

The good:

50% of the author’s royalties from sales of this book will go to charities that support U.S. Military veterans who have been deported or are at risk of being deported. That’s awesome.

This book brings a terrible and not often publicized issue some much needed attention: people who fought for this country and were promised citizenship for their service who were later denied citizenship or deported.

Just like book 5, Once Burned can be read as a stand-alone that ma
Kirk
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve loved all the books in this series, and this one’s no exception. It’s well written, well researched and so engaging. I was really intrigued about Diego after being introduced to him in Dalton’s story in Going Overboard, little did we know he was going through such a turbulent time (and that’s an understatement!).

This book tackled some hard and sensitive subjects when talking of what Diego went through in the military and the after-effects he was still suffering with, terribly so, and my he
Mari Cardenas ~ Bayou Book Junkie
4.5 Stars!

Mark is newly divorced and recently stationed at Anchor Point, and when he visits a local gay bar, he is drawn to one of the bartenders, Diego, who isn't too keen on dating military guys, especially the Navy kind. There's something about Mark that makes Diego give him a second chance and soon, one night turns into more, however, there are things that might tear them apart.

It took me a bit to warm up to Mark, but once I did, I loved him. He was sweet and supportive and once he realized
Mrs
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Once burned is the 6th book in the great Anchor Point series, here we meet Captain Mark Thomas newly divorced, promoted and posted to Anchor Point. Feeling lonely he goes to the high and tight gay bar hoping to meet someone for a hook up, when there he's immediately attracted to the barman Diego who we met in the previous book Going Overboard, Diego had many issues and although also attracted to Mark turns down Marks offer to get together, but at the end of the evening decides to break all his o ...more
Crissy
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is not the first book I've read in this series and just like the other books I've read, I absolutely enjoyed this story. Diego was wronged by the military so he swore he would stay away from anyone having anything to do with it, that was until he met Mark. The chemistry between these two was off the charts and I was excited when Diego decided to give it a chance. This couple definitely had their moments of insecurity and doubt but with the connection they had everything they faced was worth ...more
Ramona
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, reviewed
Mark is a new Captain in the Navy, something he never expected to be. Recently divorced, he is trying to fit into his new life. He had expected to retire and the promotion had changed his plans.

Diego, working for tips as a bartender, want nothing to do with the Navy. He was wounded in the line of duty and was tossed out of the Navy because he couldn't meet the qualifications to stay in. He lost his green card and is in the US illegally.

When he met Mark, Diego knew getting close him was a mistake
Nickiann Holt
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Coming off a divorce and a new position in the Navy, Mark has relocated and is looking for some M/M action. Diego is the bartender at the local gay bar that Mark sets his eyes on. The one problem is that Diego does not do Navy men since the Navy has Royale screwed up his life. But once the two come together, sparks fly and passion ignites. But will Diego be able to move on from his past? Or will the relationship be doomed for failure? With a beautifully written storyline that deals with the dama ...more
Sue
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable story in the Anchor Point series. Mark is currently going through a divorce. He is just plain no good at relationships and he will be the first one to tell you this. While he was married to a woman, he seems to be looking for something that he has yet to really find. Diego has sworn off the military and we have seen him in a previous book. Now we find out all the reasons why he wants nothing to do with the Navy or any military. But once Mark comes into his orbit, he can't seem ...more
Lovinghotbooks
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley and I'm freely giving my honest review.*

This was a good 4 star read and this is why:

* Good storyline, a little abrupt ending but the epilogue saved it.
* Well written characters
* Love scenes that was hot but tasteful described
* No unnecessary descriptions of surroundings
* The amount of dialogues was enough but barley.......
* Feelings is present at times and I felt a little emotional when Diego had some challenges because I can to
T.A. McKay
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Copy from NetGalley

It's no secret that I love this series and this book just added to that love! I have wanted to know Diego's story since I met him and my heart broke for him! He has gone through so much and I just wanted someone to help him. Thankfully that's exactly what Mark did...even if It took them a while to get their shit sorted. this story definitely had me cursing the guy's out...I mean they were so stupid sometimes...but I was left smiling which all the books have done!

Great additio
Tricia
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military
I really liked this book. It had an interesting premise without being a lecture about politics. I thought that both Mark and Diego grew very well over the course of their quick relationship. And, I'm really glad that Diego had already changed his mind in the end, so that they really were meeting in the same mindset.
Natalie
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this sixth book of the series, the romance takes on a subject so currently relevant and its impact on veterans and others caught in the web of US immigration policies. I strongly anticipated reading how Diego’s plight would be resolved, due to my own belief that if you serve in the military, a path to citizenship should be automatic. In this case, Diego ran afoul of a Naval requirement that fortunately no longer exists, although the same thing could still happen for other reasons, in any bran ...more
Nadège
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite of the series so far!
I really liked the different topics of this book.
Tracie Runge
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgally
The sixth book in the Anchor Point series, Once Burned was a good weekend read. Diego and Mark were likable characters and as always the well written storyline kept me engaged from the beginning.
♥J ♥
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this!
Ashley
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Will write review when home from vacation.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
L.A. Witt is an abnormal M/M romance writer who has finally been released from the purgatorial corn maze of Omaha, Nebraska, and now spends her time on the southwestern coast of Spain. In between wondering how she didn't lose her mind in Omaha, she explores the country with her husband, several clairvoyant hamsters, and an ever-growing herd of rabid plot bunnies.

She also has substantially more ti
More about L.A. Witt

Anchor Point (8 books)
  • Just Drive (Anchor Point #1)
  • Afraid to Fly (Anchor Point #2)
  • Chief's Mess (Anchor Point, #3)
  • Rank & File (Anchor Point, #4)
  • Going Overboard (Anchor Point, #5)
  • Wash Out (Anchor Point, #7)
  • Sink or Swim (Anchor Point, #8)

Romance Deals

• #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $2.49
  • Remembering Us
    $3.99 $2.00
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unbound (The Forbidden Bond, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • In the Heir (Westerly Billionaire, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Perfect (Boot Creek #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Room for You (Cranberry Inn, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Noble Servant (A Medieval Fairy Tale #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Turn to Me (Kathleen Turner, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forbidden Fling (Wildwood #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Vanishing Girl (The Vanishing Girl, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Unwanted Wife (Unwanted, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • In His Shadow (The Tangled Ivy Trilogy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Fire (Red-Hot SEALs, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • The Sapphire Affair (Jewel, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Thing Called Love (Mirror Lake, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Tea and Secrets (Adams Grove, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Highland Promise (Murray Brothers, 3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • MacKenzie Fire (Shine Not Burn, #2)
  • Ensnared
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Turning Point (Kathleen Turner, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Number, Right Guy (The Bourbon Street Boys, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow of a Doubt (The Tangled Ivy Trilogy, #2)
  • Between Me and You
  • Just One Thing
    $4.49 $1.99
  • In the Band (Luminescent Juliet, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Glassblower
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Blank Slate
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Picturing Perfect (Love of My Life, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgiven (The Forbidden Bond #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Nothings (Sugar Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sprinkles on Top (Sugar Springs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Forged In Ash (Red-Hot SEALs, #2)
  • Of Noble Birth
  • Something More Than This
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Need You for Mine (Heroes of St. Helena, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Best Medicine (Bell Harbor, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Need You for Always (Heroes of St. Helena, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Turn (Kathleen Turner, #4)
  • The Matchmaker's Playbook (Wingmen Inc. 1) [Kindle in Motion]
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Letters (Rose Harbor #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Barbecue and Bad News (Adams Grove, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Mint Juleps and Justice (Adams Grove #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royal Games (The Royals of Monterra, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Up for Heir (Westerly Billionaire #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Royal Chase (The Royals of Monterra)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The American Lady (The Glassblower Trilogy #2)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Wingman (Alpha Male, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
  • The Last Move
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • The Perfect Game (The Perfect Game, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Turn, Right Direction (The Bourbon Street Boys, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Revealed to Him (Kerr Chronicles, #3)
  • I've Got Your Number
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Ink My Heart (Luminescent Juliet, #2)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Wild Swans
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Highland Surrender
  • Voyage of the Heart
  • Good Boy (WAGs, #1)
  • Even the Score
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Point of No Return (Kathleen Turner, #5)
  • 180 Seconds
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shine Not Burn (Shine Not Burn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 8 Bodies is Enough (Body Movers, #8)
    $6.99 $2.49