Start by marking “Happily” as Want to Read:
Happily

Happily

If the shoe fits, wear it.
If it doesn’t,
make it.

Laure is a teenage street urchin just trying to get away. Where the rest of the world sees an enchanting love story, Laure sees royal incompetence and an opportunity to exploit it. She'll have wealth and a way out of a life she detests, if she can only manage to hoodwink the royal family and survive to tell the tale.
Kindle Edition
Published April 3rd 2018

To ask other readers questions about Happily, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happily

Start your review of Happily
Mischenko
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Happily by Chauncey Rogers is a retelling of Cinderella, but totally unique and refreshing with an interesting premise! I sort of cherish retellings and couldn’t wait to see how Happily compared to some of the others I’ve read. As soon as I saw it, I instantly fell for the cover too! I had no idea what to expect, but rather than following the story of Cinderella and her wicked step-sisters, it follows what’s happening on the outside with Laure, the female protagonist. Laure is hard-headed, sort ...more
James
Why This Book
I was lucky enough to read an advanced copy of Happily by Chauncey Rogers this week and am grateful for that opportunity. I've been a fan of the author's work ever since I read one of his earlier novels, Cleaving Souls, last year after I connected with him via his blog. I liked his style and was eager to see the translation from a more psychological and suspenseful story to a re-telling of a classic Cinderella story.

Approach & Style
It took me about 5 hours ov
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
When Chauncey Rogers first asked me to review his new book "Happily", I was automatically intrigued after reading his horror/thriller novel, "Cleaving Souls". Now when he told me it was a Cinderella retelling, I was completely thrown off guard! How was the man that wrote such a thrilling novel as "Cleaving Souls" going to pull off a fairy tale relling??!! Honestly, I was a little scared because what if I didn't like it and I liked Chauncey as a person so much as well as his previous novel.
Well
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
I pick my YA carefully - it's one of those genres I don't read too much of. But when I do read it? It's gotta be pretty damn good. And you know what? I'm so glad to say that Happily was! So let's see my 5 reasons why I would recommend you to read it too. You can also read the post on my blog here.

5 Reasons To Read Happily

A Grumpy Cat Main Character

Come on! CAN YOU RESIST THAT? Somehow, a grumpy cat character really, really, REALLY works for YA. Maybe because most of us remember being a t
Aqsa (On Hiatus)
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, arc-read
“Huh. I’m not accustomed to being concerned about laws.”
He laughed. “Probably not.”
I laughed as well. He had no idea.

Laure is a girl living on the streets for more than a year and surviving by stealing from others. This is her story and she’ll tell you the truth, and nothing more, nothing less. A word of advice: She doesn’t really like you, but don’t take it personally, she doesn’t like most people period.

Laure has always hated Éclatant, where there is no place for her especially since her f
Lili  Marcus
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars....

Oh my God, this one's really amazing,,, :) :) :)
Zoe
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was kindly given an advance copy of this book by the author.
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Rogers has a way of writing that engages and keeps my attention, no matter the subject.
This was definitely a novel and refreshing take on the Cinderella story, and managed not to be cliche, as many fairy tale re-tellings can be. Although I do think that this story would stand up perfectly well as a fantasy story with something else to replace the glass slipper trope.
My only small criticism of the st
Simant | Flipping Through the Pages
Full review on: FLIPPING THROUGH THE PAGES

I grabbed the opportunity when this book was free for two days on Amazon, as I had heard good things about this book. And I would say, I wasn’t disappointed 🙂 I totally enjoyed this book. It was a quick read which I finished it hardly in 3 sittings.

Laure is the main character who is living on streets and basically surviving by stealing from others. Her plan is to leave Eclatant but she needed money. She made a solid plan but unfortunately, it failed and
Marianna
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
You can find this and many more reviews on my blog Marianna's Corner!

***3.5***

I finally read this!!! I have been in an awful on and off reading slump for some time now and it really has been affecting my reading. I started Happily last month, and even though from the very first chapters I was enjoying it, I just couldn’t keep going. Why I’m telling you all this? Simply because I want you all to know that despite reading this for a long time, I ended up really enjoying it.

Happily is not your typi
Stacey
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Being a fan of the author Chauncey Rogers after reading his first two books Home To Roost (now an all time favorite, and Cleaving Souls), I was given a copy of Happily for an honest review. Well, I loved it! It was adorable! This book would appeal to kids as well as grown ups. The story is about how the "Prince" and Cinderella really got together. The characters are all "characters", they are fun and unique. The story also has lots of descriptive action that really hooks the reader. I don't want ...more
Nina Silva
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Happy Stars!!!

This is not Cinderella’s story.  While Cinderella was busy discovering magic, stealing a prince’s heart and dealing with a conniving step family, the rest of the kingdom was going about its daily business.  In surviving life, the only way she thinks she can, Laure stumbles into the Prince’s search for his mysterious beauty and devises a clever plan to hoist herself out of a life of desperation.  But things rarely go as expected…

Oh my goodness, Chauncey had my chuckling while I
Crystal♛
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
*Thank you to the author for an ARC in exchange for an honest review*

This was such a delight to read! It was wonderful and fluffy with some action in between. The fairytale retelling took me by surprise in a way I wasn't expecting. Defiantly in a good way! A lot of times I can predict the way things will turn out but this didn't happen with Happily.

The plot was such a joy. The world building was great. I could picture it all very clearly with the detail the author provided. The journey taken w
Nicole (TheBookWormDrinketh)
I loved this re-telling of Cinderella… actually, I don’t even know if I could call it that since Laure is NOT Cinderella! First of all she gave me more of an Aladdin vibe, a street urchin, down on her luck who has to steal to get by. She is feisty and likeable …o.k, maybe only to me!
“Ten days ago, the weather was nice. I suppose I’m obligated to tell you about the weather first, right? It seems that’s what they always do. Either that or that awful cliché of “once upon a time.” Only, this wasn’t
Anastasia
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
If the shoe fits, wear it.
If it doesn’t, make it.

Happily is a fairy-tale retelling by author Chauncey Rogers. This fantasy retelling will be published April 3, 2018. I received advance reader copy of the book in exchange for honest review. This is not your typical happily ever after kind of story. It does not even begin with once upon a time....

"Ten days ago, the weather was nice. I suppose I'm obligated to tell you about the weather fist, right? It seems that's what they always do. Either
Darque  Dreamer
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Happily is not your average retelling. It is so much more. It is full of wonder and whimsy, and jolly good fun. For those who enjoy reading retellings outside of the box, you will love this one!

Oh my, this was wonderful! It had everything I love about faerie tales and retellings. It was engaging, charming, amusing, full of  bandits and bamboozling, and had a few great morals.

I loved Chauncey's writing style. It was fun but elegant, and it flowed so nicely. It had some great imagery, allowing me
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story is pretty much a retelling of Cinderella from another person’s point of view. The glass slipper, a prince, and Cinderella are the only similarities to the original story. You don’t even really get to meet Cinderella until the end. The story is all told from Laure’s point of view. And boy is she one sassy person. Loved it.

Here a quote from the book that sums it up perfectly;

“I rolled my eyes at the whole thing as I passed through the gates. The prince had fallen in love with a girl who
Rhea Singh
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a physical ARC from the author. This has not affected my opinion on the book in any way.

FAIRY TALE RETELLINGS!!!! As you know, I love magic and fantasy and fairy tales, and retellings always make me really happy that a story is being kept alive. Cinderella used to be one of my favourite fairy tales, so it’s pretty clear that I have a soft spot for anything glass-slippery. Happily was a fun, sweet, and really interesting modern retelling of Cinderella which I really, reall
Sarah ♥ (sarahreadss)
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm super fortunate to be able to get an advanced issue of Happily by Chauncey Rogers and I am so thankful. When I was reading the blurb I couldn't wait to get started, this novel is an alternative version/retelling of Cinderella and is written from a first person perspective.

Let's face it. You know there is going to be a shoe, a prince and a ball but within a few chapters you begin to understand where the story truly is heading and you will be pleasantly surprised. The mixture of modern literac
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Meet Laure, a surly, sassy thief who may just save the kingdom. With a shoe. And ants.

Laure is brash, headstrong, pessimistic. Of course, she has reason to be, being an orphan and all. A plan to rob a spice merchant’s stall in the palace market leads to a frantic chase through the market, and ends with her stealing a cloth-laden cart and sinking it in the moat in a bid to escape.

Enter Luc, the young man whose cart she stole. At first he wants justice, for his ruined merchandise was all he had
Sumedha (the wordy habitat)
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
AS POSTED ON THE WORDY HABITAT

Note: I received an eARC of the book for free from the author in return for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

I love Cinderella and any and all retellings of it. If there’s ANY Cinderella retelling, I’m there. Now that we’ve established that, I would have LOVED to hear this story when I was younger.

The Plot

No fairy godmother. No magic pumpkin. Just one grumpy girl and a glass slipper.

Laure is a thief, stealing to live and staying in an abandoned
Southern Today Gone Tomorrow
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Written by Chauncey Rogers, Happily follows Laure, a street urchin girl who caused the ruin of Luc, trying to trick the crown into thinking she is the girl with the glass slipper so that she can pay Luc back.

So, let us start with this: this is a young adult book, written for Rogers' daughter. Or inspired by her bothering him while he was writing another story.

This is a fun adventure. Laure is sassy and Luc is steadfast and good. Honestly, this is the kind of novel that, if I had a child, and I w
S. Daisy
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children, adults, everybody interested in some good clean entertainment
Shelves: blog-books
This is a Cinderella fairy tale retelling with a twist... the main character is NOT Cinderella! Instead, the main character is a smart-alec orphan girl named Laure who lives on the streets and steals to survive. One day, she steals from a spice merchant, and is running from the soldiers when she runs into Luc, a young cloth merchant, and knocks his entire store of wares into the palace moat. He tracks her down, and together they devise a way to pay Luc back so that he could start over.

The day b
Carla Johnson-Hicks
I read a few reviews of this book and requested a copy from the author for review. I was lucky to get one and I really enjoyed it. If you are looking for a typical retelling of the Cinderella story, you will be disappointed. This is an alternative version with several theories about what was really going on at the time. Yes, we do find out how Cinderella and the prince meet, yes there is a glass slipper, yes there is a ball, but besides those main facts, the story is a fairytale/fantasy of its o ...more
Mathangi
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I know Cinderella is one fairytale that's been retold to death but this book puts an entirely new spin on the fairytale as it's not about Cinderella at all!

Happily offers you a fresh take, with original characters and an entire world built just for them. I think Cinderella is the only borrowed character (the "prince" doesn't count as one, as he had the personality of wet sand in the fairytale. The prince in this book is so much better!)

Laure, our main protagonist is snarky, pessimistic, and cyni
Shreya Madhusudan
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book in exchange for an honest review . . .

One thing I really liked in this book were all the characters. Laure, Crazy king Justin, Luc, etc. UNLIKE some similar books I’ve read, the male and female characters aren’t drop-dead gorgeous and they’re okay with it! I was very happy that neither Luc nor Carl were those typical YA genre boys who are tall, dark and broody.

And Laure! I absolutely LOVED reading her POV. Again it isn’t like those classic YA genre “oh I’m woe” girls’ POV. I
Janice C. Johnson
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an account of the events surrounding Cinderella's whirlwind, glass-slippered engagement to the prince, but from the viewpoint of a teenage street urchin. My hat is off to Rogers for this uniquely imaginative premise.

My favorite thing about this book might be the snarky, almost curmudgeonly voice of Laure, the main character. That, and her desperate, hare-brained schemes to escape the city and her destitute lifestyle. I don't want to give spoilers, but this is one kids' book that even we
Michelle
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this fairy tale-ish story by Chauncey Rogers. It hits all the high notes of a happily ever after story you crave without being a snooze fest because there’s no way you’ll predict how the plot will end up. The characters are enjoyable and relatable, the situations are funny, and the language throughout feels carefully chosen despite the lighthearted content of the story. I’d definitely recommend to a friend!
Stacy
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Happily is an unusual twist on the Cinderella fairy tale. The main character, in fact is not Cinderella, but a orphaned, street-smart girl named Laure. The cover says "No fairy godmother. No magic pumpkins. Just a grumpy girl and a glass slipper.", which really intrigued me. Laure was a cynical, wise-cracking teenager having to fend for herself, which usually meant stealing, since the death of her father. Her plan is to steal enough money to guarantee her escape from the kingdom of Ecarlate, a p ...more
Vishaka Rajan
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm hosting a giveaway for this book, with a link at the bottom of my review here, so check it out!

This novel was a really fun read!

I am such a huge fan of retellings, so I definitely couldn't pass up on this book! But this is such a unique look at the tale of Cinderella - because it isn't really about Cinderella at all!

I really loved Laure. She was an absolutely fantastic protagonist. Grumpy, rude, and smart - those are just some of her characteristics. I love that she breaks the mold of the
Errin Krystal
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it

This book is definitely not your average Cinderella retelling, and Laure is definitely NOT Cinderella.

Laure is a feisty street urchin simply trying to survive. She has a no nonsense approach to life and survival and only looks out for herself. And I can't really blame her. After her fathers death, she has been left alone from a young age, relying on only herself for so many years does tend to make one cynical about life and other people. So when her get rich quick scheme to get herself out of Éc
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Honest Truth
  • The Marriage Clock
  • Notice and Note: Strategies for Close Reading
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families
  • Meet Me on Love Lane (Hopeless Romantics, #2)
  • Wuthering Heights
  • The Dog Who Could Fly: The Incredible True Story of a WWII Airman and the Four-Legged Hero Who Flew At His Side
  • Whatever It Takes
  • Courting Mr. Lincoln
  • The Space Between Sisters (The Butternut Lake, #4)
  • A Secret Gift: How One Man's Kindness & a Trove of Letters Revealed the Hidden History of the Great Depression
  • Hold On, But Don't Hold Still