Start by marking “When Everything Is Blue” as Want to Read:
When Everything Is Blue

When Everything Is Blue

When they were kids, Chris Mitcham rescued Theo from the neighborhood bullies and taught him how to “be cool.” Now, years later, Theo’s developed feelings for his best friend that arise at the most inopportune times. Theo hates lying to Chris, but in coming out, he might lose the one person who understands him best, a risk he’s not willing to take.

When a relationship with
Published March 6th 2018 by Dreamspinner Press

Start your review of When Everything Is Blue
Judith
4.5

Absolutely loved it!

One of the BEST friends to lovers stories I've read.

I'm not a massive fan of YA stories but when they're done well there is NOTHING better.This is so well written,conveying such strong emotions with two MCs that absolutely stole my heart.

Theo and Chris have been best friends for years.16 years old but,at times,showing so much maturity that their age didn't really matter.

Theo has been in lust/in love...maybe for years but doesn't want to tell Chris how he feels in case thei
* A Reader Obsessed *
4.5 Hearts

I have to admit that this was a very very good YA story. It’s got seriously smart writing, capturing the awkwardness, the mixed emotions, the turmoil of growing up, all heady with insecurity and doubts and trying to find your place and voice while struggling with desires and pesky hormones. This brilliantly portrays the spirit of youth and lust, first crushes and love!

I also have to admit that this made me extremely anxious. I think I kinda now truly realize why I’m not such a huge YA
Shile
Reread via Audio book Jan 2020

Michael Mola is a new narrator to me, He did a good job, gave the characters distinct voices and bringing the characters to life.

The story is still as good as the first time i read it.

**********************************************

BEING HORNY and almost sixteen is the absolute worst.

Yap and just like
☆ Todd
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it

I enjoyed this story quite a bit. It was cute, sweet and more than a little touching.

Theo
was just turning 16, with Chris a year older, and they'd been best friends since Chris rescued Theo from bullies in the 6th grade.

I loved their friendship dynamic, how open and caring it could be, with even the smallest, most inconsequential of things.

But Theo had been in love with Chris for over a year, and Chris had a tendency to be buried under a pile of girls at any given time, leaving Theo with the rea
Jan
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all Anyta Sunday fans.
Shelves: arc, lgbtq, young-adult
Next day

**** 4 Stars!!! ****

JFC!!!!!! After my last read I feel a powerfully need to "upgrade" my rate from 3.75 to 4 Full Stars!

Sometimes YA can be an intense and challenging read. They come filled with good old drama. Everything seems complicated as soon as we reach 13 and by the time we are 16 it feels like it’s us and our hormones against the world.

That being said, the first thing I need to mention is that “When Everything Is Blue” is not heavy on the drama. In fact, the story present
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
When Everything Is Blue was slow going for me. I actually started a few days ago and took a break to read another book.

Theo is the first-person narrator of the story, and I really missed Chris's voice. I love how protective Chris was of Theo (Theo loved it too). Theo's sister was annoying as hell, and I have no words for Asshole Dave. Theo's relationship with his mom was truly special, though, which warmed my heart.

If you enjoy young adult literature, you'll like this book. It has well-sketche
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio - 5 stars Michael Mola did an impressive job!
Story - 4 stars

The MCs were simply adorable and endearing! I wish the story included an epilogue, or better yet, I wish the author would make this a series!! *sigh*
Moony Eliver
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Moony by: Xia Xia
4.25 stars. I’m going to have to work this weekend and it’s all this book’s fault.

Sometimes, my goal is simply to pick up a decent story that I can space off on for an hour and then go about my life (or, ahem, my work). But my friend Xia Xia wouldn’t let me do that yesterday… she told me the book I had planned to start was shit and that I needed to read this one instead.

So actually, it’s Xia’s fault that I have to work this weekend.

Because once I started this story, I couldn’t put it down. Didn’
Virginia Cavanillas
3.5 stars rounding up to 4 because I was up till dawn lost in this book. If that doesn’t deserve a 4...

We all have our favorite genres and we keep using them as safe places, as sure bets to get what we want. And that’s what YA books are for me: a place I need to visit regularly to avoid homesickness. So I jumped into this book eyes closed and eager to dive myself in, more than ready for the Florida waters. And I liked it, I did. I truly enjoyed the writing (I’ll be checking more of Laura Lascars
Meags
4 Stars

This was a high quality LGBT themed YA romance. If the writing wasn’t enough to impress me, then the complexity of the characters and the depth of emotions felt throughout the story definitely did.

As far as friends-to-lovers tales go, this one progressed damn near perfectly. The bonds of friendship were easily recognisable between teen MCs Theo and Chris, and their slow transition from best buddies to boyfriends was both authentic and convincing.

This story had its fair share of angsty mo
Karla
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 muy muy estrellas**

“Me encanto! Adore estas palabras que formaron esta tierna y dulce historia de primer amor.”

Switching back to English lol! I adore this story! Best friends to lovers, first love ah! to be so young again. Chris and Theo were so sweet, and I loved how much they treasured their friendship it only made their love even more beautiful. They had a bumpy road, but the connection they had was just too much not have turn into love. Honestly I could of done without a certain character
.Lili.
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it

When Everything Is Blue by Laura Lascarso is the story of 16-year-old Theo. The summer is over and with the end of the summer comes the return of his best friend, Chris. Chris and Theo have been best friends since the 6th grade but as years passed Theo realized that his feelings for Chris are more amorous than friendly. He fears he will lose his best friend if he confesses his feelings and instead starts casually hooking with the new kid at school to try to get past his infatuation. What ens
Christine
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, ya
4.5⭐️

Amazing!!! This was sitting on my tbr and I decided to pause what I was currently reading to jump into this after seeing Jennifer A’s review. We have such similar taste that I knew from reading her review that I would love it.

Spectacular writing. Brilliant, brave and well developed characters.

I’ll have to possibly come back to give a proper review because I seem to be at a lose for words right now 😂

But I loved it! Can we get a follow up novella??
Katerina
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Oh my God. I'm so happy right now. So incredibly happy and satisfied.

Ugh, the feelings. So many goddamned feelings, all swirling inside me like an undertow. None of the things I want to say to him feel safe.

I had a really wonderful time with Chris and Theo, the two MCs from When Everything is Blue by Laura Lascarso. The book spreads the same spell as the author's other books (one of my absolute favorites is The Bravest Thing). For me, the author is a guarantee to immerse yourself in

haletostilinski
I loved this, and I've found a new author to love. I mean, it's my first book by this author so who knows if I'll continue to love her books, but I'm definitely reading more now :D

This was such a well written young adult romance. The world building was wonderfully done, the characters were enriched with complexity and depth, and the relationships were well crafted and developed.

I adored Theo and Chris together. They just fit, in their friendship and romantic relationship. And they were pretty t
Hollis
I've rated this a B- for AAR which is equal to 3.75 stars.

It wasn't that long ago that I was a raving about newly-discovered-by-me author Laura Lascarso and her book The Bravest Thing. Right on the heels of said discovery came When Everything is Blue, and I was all sorts of grabby hands about reading not only another well-crafted m/m young adult contemporary but also getting to dive into another book by this author so soon after the first.

When Everything is Blue lacks the angsty emotional resona
Denise
4 Stars

This is a fantastic, heartwarming YA novel with some angst. I adored Chris and Theo together as they went from best friends to lovers and navigated some difficult situations together. I appreciated that the author went the realistic route of questioning one's sexuality and discussed some of the unfortunate realities that come with that. Dave - you're an asshole. I loved the connection between the two characters, as you could just feel how much they cared about each other. Theo goes throug
Truuss / Loveislovereview
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, 2018
4.5 stars First love, only love, young love, prettiest love!!
Theo at the age of sixteen is lately very aware of the presence of his, one year older, best friend Chris. His lower parts aren't connected to his brains anymore, so a constant boner is the result he can't always hide.

They are best friends a long way back and Theo doesn't want to lose Chris as his best friend so talking about him being gay and having feelings....no way...
Chris is very protective and supportive towards Theo...no one wil
Teal
A pleasant and easy to read coming-of-age story. I was seriously irked at a couple of the author's choices, but overall it was a worthwhile read. I recommend it to anyone looking for a YA friends-to-lovers story without over-the-top drama and angst.
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~
“Make sure you fall for what’s on the inside and not what’s on the outside, baby. Otherwise you’re just buying an empty box.”

Is this the most original YA coming out story ever? No. Do I care? No.

I really loved the way this was written, and I tried not to. Well, no, I tried to be objective, to find fault, to find quibbles, to nitpick dang it! But at the end of the day, this story just works. It's got the Goldilocks factor. Not too much angst, not too little, just right. Not too much teasing, not
Ami
BEING HORNY and almost sixteen is the absolute worst. Take it from me, Theodore Wooten III, resident expert in the spontaneous boner. The cause of my lovesickness: Christian Mitcham. The cure: hell if I know.

I admit, I don’t typically like reading young adult/coming-of-age stories. More often than not, I don’t feel connected with them – gah, I feel old! However, When Everything Is Blue proves to be a wonderful coming-of-age read.

I fell in love with Theo right off the bat. The way he deals wi
Eugenia
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
*This book was provided for free by the author in exchange for an honest review via the MMRG Don’t Buy My Love Program.*

What a delightful and delicious coming of age book! I simply ADORED this best friends to lovers novel by Laura Lascarso. It was funny, awkward, hurtful, and honest.

While the MCs are in their teens, the sexy times in here do not make the cut for standard YA reading. What does make the cut are all the feels. High school. Remember high school? It was lovely, dramatic, and painful.
Xia Xia
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt, cute-love, ya
Free exchange for an honest review under the DBML Program

Reading this book felt similarly to going on a three days vacation to a massage spa. At the end of the book I was relaxed, pleased and with a rather dreamy look in my eyes.

Okay, so here's the thing. I don’t do YA, I don’t do present tense and I definitely don’t do sweet and cuddly. So I tried really hard to find a fault in this little book.
But by all that is holly and pure in the world, this was absolutely, gosh, darn adorable! T
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
3.75 S T A R S

“More and more of him until there’s no clear divide between us, like the moment after sunset when the horizon blurs and you can’t tell where the ocean ends and the sky begins, when everything is blue.”

This was super cute and fun. Perfect for reading while laying on the beach in Kaua’i. The West Palm setting, along with the skater/surfer vibe was a perfect little taste of summer. I absolutely loved the way Lascarso captured the awkwardness and horniness of being a teenage boy.
Melissa
A complimentary copy was provided by the author thru the MM group DBML program in exchange for an honest review.

This is my first time reading Laura Lascarso and I enjoyed meeting Chris and Theo. They are teenagers, towards the end of their high school career. They have been friends for about 5 years and do everything together. Chris is an awesome friend and genuinely good guy!! He is the type of person who will help the homeless and donate to charity and mean it (not that he did any of that in t
Karen
Ok other than the fact that it's a surfer on the front and the MC who basically narrates the book is a skateboarder...this one was pretty good...full review to follow soonish and maybe we'll sort out the whole skater/surfer issue, lol!!!

Young love...first love is there anything sweeter?

Probably not much for most people and in Laura Lascarso's 'When Everything is Blue' we are treated to an incredibly sweet story of first love.

Theo and Chris have been friends since they were little kids and Ch
Trio
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
When Everything is Blue by Laura Lascarso turned out to be a truly nice surprise for me. I was impressed with the flowing story line, the creativity and variety in the characters, and the lovely style she has to her writing. I'm looking forward to reading some of her other stories... I'm intrigued and it always makes me happy to discover a wonderful author who is new to me.

This book was a pleaure to read and I became completely immersed in Theo's story. It's low angst, even though many of the th
fleurette
This is a very sweet story that I truly enjoyed.

I don't read many YA books because most of the time, immature heroes annoy me terribly. And because there is usually too much teenage drama in these books. And that's probably why I liked this book so much. Because although we have two teenage heroes here who are trying to deal with typical teenage problems and it is absolutely impossible to say that there is no drama here, everything seems to be complete and not exaggerated. And therefore also re
Laxmama
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 STARS. I wanted to read this book in the worst way, there was a teaser on the authors website and I was DONE- I just needed the rest ASAP. Lucky for me I entered the M/M group DBML author early reader giveaway and was granted a copy. I was on it and could not put this book down. I loved the writing and the story. For me I am so picky when it comes to reading a YA book, the characters were teens but it was written perfectly, just as I expected them to act. The boys were curious, uncomfortable ...more
Nazanin
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Straight to my favorites shelf! I'm quite picky with YA but this one was the perfect combination of angst and romance. The writing was also pretty smooth. Totally recommend it!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Burning Britely (Burning Britely, #1)
  • Project Hero
  • Diamonds (Life According to Maps, #2)
  • Chasing Chance (Gilcrest University Guys #1)
  • Maps (Life According to Maps, #1)
  • The Blueprint (Rules of Possession, #1)
  • The Story of Us
  • Just the Tip
  • Catching Chance (Gilcrest University Guys #2)
  • Fourteen Summers
  • Riding with Brighton
  • A Surplus of Light
  • The One Decent Thing
  • Thrown Off the Ice
  • Lane’s (Life According to Maps #3)
  • Boy Shattered
  • Virgin Flyer
  • Lock & West
Laura Lascarso wants you to stay up way past your bedtime reading her stories. She aims to inspire more questions than answers in her fiction and believes in the power of storytelling to heal and transform a society.

When not writing, Laura can be found screaming “finish” on the soccer fields, rewatching Veronica Mars, and trying to convince politicians that climate change is real. She lives in No