Start by marking “Ottolenghi SIMPLE” as Want to Read:
Ottolenghi SIMPLE

Ottolenghi SIMPLE

Yotam Ottolenghi’s award-winning recipes are always a celebration: an unforgettable combination of abundance, taste and surprise. SIMPLE is no different, with 120 brand-new dishes that contain all the inventive elements and favour combinations that Ottolenghi is loved for, but with minimal hassle for maximum joy.

Bursting with colourful photography for every recipe, SIMPLE
Published September 6th 2018 by Ebury Press

To ask other readers questions about Ottolenghi SIMPLE, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ottolenghi SIMPLE

Jennie
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, cookbooks
I pre-ordered this book, because Yotam Ottolenghi's recipes are almost always huge successes for me. I like his sense of flavor and some of the surprising combinations he comes up with. I thought this book would be perfect for weeknight cooking. Unfortunately, I find the recipes aren't so much "simple" as "less complicated, sometimes, but also frequently less flavorful".

First, the good. I do like that he lays out his criteria and has a SIMPLE acronym to advise which recipes meet which criteria.
Shipshapeeatworthy
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yotam Ottolenghi is a person who has changed the way people view food. Difficult to categorize, his style works on the premise that food is all about flavour and unorthodox combinations (prior to receiving Ottolenghi Simple I had made one of his recipes from an earlier cookbook -- Roasted Brussels Sprouts w/ Pomelo and Star Anise -- if this is not an unorthodox pairing, I'm not sure what is! But what I can say is that it was a flavor memory my mouth won't soon forget).

His food is elegant because
BrittKay
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Ottolenghi did it again! I have yet to make a bad meal out of any of his cookbooks. This one is even better than the others because the recipes are, in fact, simple. This past Tuesday, in anticipation of Thanksgiving, we made EIGHT dishes! Each one was fantastic. Now I’m hungry...
Savanna
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has my minty baked rice with pomegranate and olive relish, which I make at least once every few months. It's incredible. The majority of this cookbook is vegetables in new and surprising ways.

I really love the S-I-M-P-L-E concept. L-- Lazy cooking-- is my favorite, since it mostly involves throwing things into a pot or a pan and let it simmer away.
Kim Raymond
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Grosse déception pour moi. Les recettes sont peut-être "simplifiées" par rapport à Plenty et Jerusalem, mais on est loin de la série de recettes one pot permettant de cuisiner du Ottolenghi chaque soir de la semaine promise dans la description du livre. Il n'y a finalement pas beaucoup de recettes qui sont des repas en soi, et beaucoup de trucs qui doivent être combinés avec une ou deux autres composantes pour faire un repas complet. Vraiment pas le genre de livre de recettes de semaine auquel j ...more
Wendy
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
SIMPEL staat eenvoudigweg voor Snel - niet meer dan 10 Ingrediënten - Maak van tevoren -Provisiekast - Eenvoudiger dan u denkt - Lui: elk recept kreeg 1 of meerdere van deze labels. Persoonlijk kijk ik hier niet echt (of zelden) naar, ik beschouw het gewoon als een weer erg goed Ottolenghi-kookboek, vol erg lekkere recepten. Én een schitterende cover!
Waar Ottolenghi’s Plenty-kookboeken enkel om groenten draaien, staan in dit boek ook recepten met vlees en vis. De recepten blijven fijn om te make
Caitlin Hawksley
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Sections: Brunch; Raw Veg; Cooked Veg; Rice, Grains, and Pulses; Noodles and Pasta; Meat; Seafood; Dessert

Pros: Just. Wow. I borrowed this cookbook from the library, expecting to get maybe a week's worth of meals out of it, but I got two weeks' worth, and I want to keep trying more recipes. Every. Single. Recipe. Was SO solid. Great flavors, great techniques, great challenges. Lots of beautiful photos.

Cons: I know the title of the book is "Ottolenghi Simple," and, readers might not realize until
Maureen
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I've enjoyed Ottolenghi's other cookbooks, but this one actually is simple. I've made two recipes and friends made two others - all were delicious. I borrowed this from my library, but it's going in my shopping bag. imo, it's worthy of shelf space in my little kitchen.
Molly
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook-books
I rarely buy cookbooks, but Ottolenghi recipes have proven to consistently be delicious, and this book recognizes that his usual recipes are a tad on the "where am I even going to find that and why does he assume everyone has rosewater and sumac in their pantry" variety. There are some really promising ones in here- and the "simple" method is nice for recognizing that sometimes you have lots of time, but don't want to get a bunch of ingredients; or maybe vice versa. I guess I will update when I' ...more
Anand Ganapathy
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ourlibrary
Simple yet exciting recipes as the title indicates . Brilliant and colourful photos . need to try out the recipes next .
Tamra
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
As always, very attractive cookbooks from Ottolenghi. But sadly for my location and stage of life, it is more of a coffee table book. I’d give a lot to eat at his restaurant though!
Kayo
Dec 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
I think the title is misleading. Not simple in any way. Disappointing.
Lisa Holmen
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great simple recipes which are 10 ingredients or less. Have already cooked a few of these and love it.
Sjancourtz
Nov 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
A real disappointment. The first few books--Ottolenghi, Jerusalem, and Plenty--were all packed with delicious recipes for beautiful foods. I own them all and use them all, and have rated them Five Stars here and elsewhere. I love them, truly.

But this one? I am only interested in making four dishes, and that's because they're much like other recipes from previous books. A lot of dishes use rose harissa, which I don't like at all. Other herb and spice combinations are a bit lengthy for a cookbook
Sharon
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
SIMPLE : Short on time, Ingredients: 10 or less, Make ahead, Pantry, Lazy, Easier than you think! Simple.

Have all the books except the Sweet as we don’t eat dessert unless out somewhere. They are amazing cookery books and like fabulous reference books to the cuisines mixed therein. BUT often way too difficult and complicated for me, a home cook. Simple is exactly the answer. Amazing approachable and very doable cookery with great ingredients and truly delicious results. Cannot recommend it more!
Michelle
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review copy provided by the publisher

Yotam Ottolenghi’s streak is unbroken: SIMPLE delivers delicious, accessible, quintessentially Ottolenghi dishes for the home cook

In Yotam Ottolenghi's latest cookbook, OTTOLENGHI SIMPLE, the simple isn’t just a euphemism for “everyday” or “weeknight cooking” or “30 minutes or less.” SIMPLE is the system underlying the recipes. Short on time, 10 Ingredients or less, Make ahead, Pantry, Lazy or Easier Than You Think. It’s up to you to choose based on your cook
Margaret
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am completely biased as I think Yotam Ottolenghi is currently the most influential food writer, recipe developer and chef. His name has become synonymous with a style of food that beloved fans instantly recognise. He has, through each of his books Plenty, Plenty More, Jerusalem and now Simple, taken us on a culinary journey through the Mediterranean mostly making vegetables the hero. He has introduced us to delicious ingredients, foods and flavors and most importantly has made them delicious a ...more
Robert Hudder
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
There is always something to take away from Ottolenghi's books. This one would be good for someone starting out wanting to make decent nutritious food in a Middle Eastern style. The ideas and standouts for me, personally, were:
Cauliflower "tabbouleh" (p.46), Pumpkin, saffron and orange soup (p.54), Roasted whole cauliflower (p.94 for the technique), chraimeh sauce (p.104), whole-roasted celery root with coriander seed oil (p.128), Honey and yogurt set cheesecake (p.208) and Brunsli chocolate co
Graeme Roberts
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my desert island cookbook, as long as the island has a store selling a profusion of fresh vegetables, fruits, and Middle Eastern, Asian, and Italian ingredients. I certainly haven't cooked all the dishes, which might take a year or two, but reading them was a torturous experience as I drooled onto my virtual silk tie.

I can honestly say that not a single dish, from Raw Veg to Dessert was less than delicious. I could taste them in my culinary imagination! Their simplicity, creativity, and
Linda
Sinds ik vorig jaar Plenty heb gekregen voor Kerst, heb ik aardig wat Ottolenghi gerechten gemaakt. Toen Simpel uitkwam wilde ik dan ook het liefst meteen naar de winkel rennen om het boek te kopen maar heb ik toch even gewacht of ik dit boek niet cadeau zou krijgen. Et voilà, ook dit jaar was het met Kerst raak.

Wat een prachtig boek is dit toch weer, met deze keer de focus op gerechten die op de een of andere manier simpel te maken zijn; snel, makkelijk grotendeels voor te bereiden, of met een
Valerie
This book is gorgeous - beautiful pictures, nice paper with lovely font, delicious and intriguing recipes... All the things that suck me into a cookbook. I borrowed this from the library with the intention of purchasing...

However, not my style. I prefer to only keep cookbooks that I use frequently, or need as backup (ahem, The Food Lab - swoon!). Admittedly, I'm a simple cook - I love recipes that have 10 or less ingredients (including oil, salt and pepper!) and generally call for things I have
Frances Pope
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
While reading the Introduction to this recipe book I was initially confused, until I realised that it assumed I knew who and what Ottolenghi is. It expected me to find the idea of a "simple Ottolengi" recipe hilariously oxymoronic. But I got this book as a Christmas present, and have never heard of an Ottolenghi.

I am now determined to spend the rest of my life making sure I never find out who Ottolengi is or what he/she looks like.

The idea of the book is simple recipes:
S = short on time
I = 10
Chris Williams
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another exceptional cookbook by one of my favourite chefs. I've got Ottolenghi's NOPI: The Cookbook, which is aimed at the 'pro-sumer'/more proficient chef and it's one of my favourites, many of whose recipes are on regular rotation. The same care, expertise and creativity is evident in Simple. This cookbook is great for anyone who likes to cook amazing food but doesn't know how to create their own recipes, or lacks a bit of confidence in the kitchen. Recipes are categorised into all the areas y ...more
Lucy H
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookery, non-fiction
The latest Yotam Ottolenghi cookbook makes great play of the reduced ingredients list for the recipes.

This is possibly daunting if you aren't familiar with previous Ottolenghi books which need dozens of ingredients, some seemingly only available on line or from specialist groceries. SIMPLE has a list of basics which are needed for the recipes, and I have found all of them in local (rural) supermarkets.

So far we've made several of the baked rice recipes, a white fish and chickpea curry and have p
Lara
Welllll, I didn't really love either of Ottolenghi's first two books, but with the word simple in the title I figured I'd give it a shot. But no. Though some recipes definitely seem less complicated than recipes in the previous cookbooks, they're still too complicated for me! And also, what even are some of these ingredients? Once again, I would love to visit his restaurant and have this food cooked for me. I do not have the time or money or effort to spend on making this stuff for myself. Back ...more
Jenn
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This isn't a book you read as much as you leaf through it, finding recipes to highlight and dog-ear and to come back to again and again.
As with any Ottolenghi book, it's beautifully photographed and the recipes are absolutely delicious. Don't be fooled into thinking that this is an "easy" cookbook - there is still time and deliberation included as part of the process, but the results are well worth the attention to detail.
I'll be coming back to this one over and over.
Mathis Bailey
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tasty and healthy meals. I loved everything I made thus far. The pictures are stunning. Perfect for the coffee table. I like how most of the dishes involves vegetables. The meals are very kind to the waistline. The recipes aren't labor intensive, however it goes pretty heavy on ingredients. Luckily I had some on hand. I wouldn't recommend this book for beginner cooks.

If you like Mediterranean or Middle Eastern cuisine....give it a go.
Hollis Ramsey
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
quite simply, a fantastic cookbook. presentation, photographs, layout, even the thickness of the paper stock are all excellent. but what really stands out are the fabulous recipes. Yotam Ottolenghi is a genius at pairing Mediterranean spices, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and, to a lesser extent, meats and fish, in marvelous ways. his versatility with yogurt -- an ingredient i'm not fond of ... yet -- is amazing. it's an exciting read!
Catherine Woodman
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is what I have come to expect from Ottolenghi, and also somewhat of a surprise, in that there are new things in here compared to the other five savory cookbooks, and the first six things we made were just spectacular. I use him more for vegetable dishes, which I like to have 4-6 of at a nice family weekly dinner, but the meat dishes also look quite good.
mollociraptor
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The recipes ARE simple but the ingredients can be tricky. I feel the za’atar craze has sufficiently took the world by storm though, so it should be easy enough to wrangle the things you need at specialty grocery stores (or the internet). Really anxious to tear into some of these pasta dishes. His use of anchovies, olives, and capers for salt are great.
  • Milk Street: Tuesday Nights: More than 200 Simple Weeknight Suppers that Deliver Bold Flavor, Fast
  • Near & Far: Recipes Inspired by Home and Travel
  • Food52 Genius Desserts: 100 Recipes That Will Change the Way You Bake
  • How to Eat a Peach: Menus, Stories and Places
  • Dorie's Cookies
  • Solo: A Modern Cookbook for a Party of One
  • Jamie Cooks Italy
  • Classic German Baking: The Very Best Recipes for Traditional Favorites, from Pfeffernüsse to Streuselkuchen
  • Bowl: Vegetarian Recipes for Ramen, Pho, Bibimbap, Dumplings, and Other One-Dish Meals
  • Six Seasons: A New Way with Vegetables
  • Taste of Persia: A Cook's Travels Through Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Iran, and Kurdistan
  • Naturally Nourished
  • At My Table: A Celebration of Home Cooking
  • Dinner: Changing the Game
  • Sirocco
  • The New Sugar & Spice: A Recipe for Bolder Baking
  • Zahav: A World of Israeli Cooking
  • Gjelina: Cooking from Venice, California
Yotam Ottolenghi's path to the world of cooking and baking has been anything but straightforward. Having completed a Masters degree in philosophy and literature whilst working on the news desk of an Israeli daily, he made a radical shift on coming to London in 1997. He started as an assistant pastry chef at the Capital and then worked at Kensington Place and Launceston Place, where he ran the past ...more