Start by marking “Ottolenghi SIMPLE” as Want to Read:
Ottolenghi SIMPLE

Ottolenghi SIMPLE

Yotam Ottolenghi’s award-winning recipes are always a celebration: an unforgettable combination of abundance, taste and surprise. SIMPLE is no different, with 120 brand-new dishes that contain all the inventive elements and favour combinations that Ottolenghi is loved for, but with minimal hassle for maximum joy.

Bursting with colourful photography for every recipe, SIMPLE
Published September 6th 2018 by Ebury Press

To ask other readers questions about Ottolenghi SIMPLE, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ottolenghi SIMPLE

Start your review of Ottolenghi SIMPLE
Jennie
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, 2018
I pre-ordered this book, because Yotam Ottolenghi's recipes are almost always huge successes for me. I like his sense of flavor and some of the surprising combinations he comes up with. I thought this book would be perfect for weeknight cooking. Unfortunately, I find the recipes aren't so much "simple" as "less complicated, sometimes, but also frequently less flavorful".

First, the good. I do like that he lays out his criteria and has a SIMPLE acronym to advise which recipes meet which criteria.
Caitlin Hawksley
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Sections: Brunch; Raw Veg; Cooked Veg; Rice, Grains, and Pulses; Noodles and Pasta; Meat; Seafood; Dessert

Pros: Just. Wow. I borrowed this cookbook from the library, expecting to get maybe a week's worth of meals out of it, but I got two weeks' worth, and I want to keep trying more recipes. Every. Single. Recipe. Was SO solid. Great flavors, great techniques, great challenges. Lots of beautiful photos.

Cons: I know the title of the book is "Ottolenghi Simple," and, readers might not realize until
Graeme Roberts
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my desert island cookbook, as long as the island has a store selling a profusion of fresh vegetables, fruits, and Middle Eastern, Asian, and Italian ingredients. I certainly haven't cooked all the dishes, which might take a year or two, but reading them was a torturous experience as I drooled onto my virtual silk tie.

I can honestly say that not a single dish, from Raw Veg to Dessert was less than delicious. I could taste them in my culinary imagination! Their simplicity, creativity, and
Shipshapeeatworthy
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yotam Ottolenghi is a person who has changed the way people view food. Difficult to categorize, his style works on the premise that food is all about flavour and unorthodox combinations (prior to receiving Ottolenghi Simple I had made one of his recipes from an earlier cookbook -- Roasted Brussels Sprouts w/ Pomelo and Star Anise -- if this is not an unorthodox pairing, I'm not sure what is! But what I can say is that it was a flavor memory my mouth won't soon forget).

His food is elegant because
Matt
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-and-drink
Yotam Ottolenghi’s most recent cookbook, SIMPLE, provides some pretty great recipes to fit a more practical style of cooking depending on the recipe: Short on time; Ingredients 10 or less; Make ahead; Pantry-based; Lazy; Easier than you think. Ottolenghi’s Plenty is one of my go-to cookbooks with its heavily seasoned, though sometimes finicky, vegetarian dishes, several of which have become staples in our home, so I was very curious to explore recipes of his in a slightly pared down form.
A samp
Sophie
Jan 03, 2020 marked it as cookbooks  ·  review of another edition
Recipes I've tried
1. Chile fish with tahini (1/2/20)-this recipe was SO GOOD. Great flavors, nice kick, healthy. I would definitely make it again!

2. Curried coconut, tomato, and lentil soup (1/5/20)-This one seemed a bit bland at first but it's one of those dishes with a subtle flavor that grows as you eat more of it. It also seems like a great base, something where I could easily add more stuff. Next time I might do a bit less ginger and more of the curry powder/red pepper flakes.
Savanna
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has my minty baked rice with pomegranate and olive relish, which I make at least once every few months. It's incredible. The majority of this cookbook is vegetables in new and surprising ways.

I really love the S-I-M-P-L-E concept. L-- Lazy cooking-- is my favorite, since it mostly involves throwing things into a pot or a pan and let it simmer away.
Sjancourtz
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
The first few books--Ottolenghi, Jerusalem, and Plenty--were all packed with delicious recipes for beautiful foods. I own them all and use them all, and have rated them Five Stars here and elsewhere. I love them, truly.

But this one? I am only interested in making four dishes, and that's because they're much like other recipes from previous books. A lot of dishes use rose harissa, which I don't like at all. Other herb and spice combinations are a bit lengthy for a cookbook that bills itself as "
BrittKay
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Ottolenghi did it again! I have yet to make a bad meal out of any of his cookbooks. This one is even better than the others because the recipes are, in fact, simple. This past Tuesday, in anticipation of Thanksgiving, we made EIGHT dishes! Each one was fantastic. Now I’m hungry...
Chantal
Sep 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bibiotheek, food
This book is what it says in his title: simple. The inside was really simple, so simple it was blended. The recipes I found at times in simple, sometimes even boring. The pictures same thing... This book was not for me.

[image error]
Margaret
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am completely biased as I think Yotam Ottolenghi is currently the most influential food writer, recipe developer and chef. His name has become synonymous with a style of food that beloved fans instantly recognise. He has, through each of his books Plenty, Plenty More, Jerusalem and now Simple, taken us on a culinary journey through the Mediterranean mostly making vegetables the hero. He has introduced us to delicious ingredients, foods and flavors and most importantly has made them delicious a ...more
Alexa
Jul 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: meh, 2019
I thought that since I loved Ottolenghi's previous book (Sweet), I'd also like this one, but nothing could have been further from the truth.

My main problem was the fact that I didn't have full ingredients to make even one recipe! (And I have a pretty well stocked pantry!)

Every single recipe had at least one spice or ingredient that was far from standard western fare: Harissa, Za'atar, Sumac, pomegranate molasses... The list is long. And I don't mind experimenting or trying new things, but with
Molly
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook-books
I rarely buy cookbooks, but Ottolenghi recipes have proven to consistently be delicious, and this book recognizes that his usual recipes are a tad on the "where am I even going to find that and why does he assume everyone has rosewater and sumac in their pantry" variety. There are some really promising ones in here- and the "simple" method is nice for recognizing that sometimes you have lots of time, but don't want to get a bunch of ingredients; or maybe vice versa. I guess I will update when I' ...more
Laurel
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everything I have made so far has been delicious and loved by the entire family. Can't wait to make dinner tonight! Later this afternoon, starting a batch of preserved lemons.... and who knows, black garlic may be next.
Kayo
Dec 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
I think the title is misleading. Not simple in any way. Disappointing.
Tamra
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
As always, very attractive cookbooks from Ottolenghi. But sadly for my location and stage of life, it is more of a coffee table book. I’d give a lot to eat at his restaurant though!
Charlotte Lloyd
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
LOVE HIS COOKING STYLE!!!!
Jos M
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks-i-own
Hands down the best cookbook I own.
Sharon
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
SIMPLE : Short on time, Ingredients: 10 or less, Make ahead, Pantry, Lazy, Easier than you think! Simple.

Have all the books except the Sweet as we don’t eat dessert unless out somewhere. They are amazing cookery books and like fabulous reference books to the cuisines mixed therein. BUT often way too difficult and complicated for me, a home cook. Simple is exactly the answer. Amazing approachable and very doable cookery with great ingredients and truly delicious results. Cannot recommend it more!
Kent District Library
Jul 22, 2019 is currently reading it
Join us for an informal discussion about cookbooks and sample delectable examples, potluck style. Stop by the branch for more details. This month's selection is Ottolenghi Simple by Yotam Ottolenghi. Discussion will take place at Kent District Library's Lowell Branch, on August 26, 2019 from 6:30-7:30 pm.
Heather Tucker
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it
For those of you who love Ottolenghi recipes but balk at the long ingredient lists, this book contains recipes with ten ingredients or less. As long as you have black garlic, harissa, preserved lemon, nigella seeds, and pomegranate molasses on hand, you can definitely maybe make some of these recipes. The photography is beautiful.
Maureen
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I've enjoyed Ottolenghi's other cookbooks, but this one actually is simple. I've made two recipes and friends made two others - all were delicious. I borrowed this from my library, but it's going in my shopping bag. imo, it's worthy of shelf space in my little kitchen.
Juli Anna
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Yet another fantastic cookbook from a true cookbook star. These recipes are fresh, simple weeknight fare with no trendy distractions and only well chosen flavors. Most ingredients are easy to come by, and the photos are truly perfect. I've already made a dish from this and intend to make many more!
Lisa Holmen
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great simple recipes which are 10 ingredients or less. Have already cooked a few of these and love it.
Anand Ganapathy
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ourlibrary
Simple yet exciting recipes as the title indicates . Brilliant and colourful photos . need to try out the recipes next .
Jill Kandel
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, food
I will use this book again and again!

S: Short on time
I: Ingredients less than 10
M: Make ahead
P: Pantry-led
L: Lazy day dishes
E: Easier than you think

GENIUS. Great recipes. Yummy. Easy.
Jane
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Collins Cooks! I made the jalepeno cilantro cornbread.
A Kane
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book because I love Ottolenghi's food (I'm lucky enough to have eaten at his restaurants a few times) and theoretically liked Plenty and Plenty More.. but didn't often have the time/the ingredients to cook from them. Simple seemed like the perfect everyday Ottolenghi cookbook, and for me it is.

I've cooked/eaten about 30 recipes from this book and loved most of them. I liked it enough to gift it to a friend, my boyfriend gifted it to his mom, and my flatmate gifted it to her sister
Eileen Honors
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Creative recipes for healthy food, beautifully presented.
J. K.
May 16, 2020 rated it liked it
This gorgeous cookbook has about a 50/50 hit rate for us. The crushed zucchini has been our favorite so far—fresh and refreshing, and genuinely simple to make (if a bit time consuming).

I appreciate the effort to simplify the recipes as compared to Plenty or Jerusalem, but this still isn’t going to be a book I reach for regularly. Most recipes require an abundance of high-quality produce, and I’m unwilling to risk one of the few ripe tomatoes we get during the half week of Michigan tomato season
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Persiana: Recipes from the Middle East & Beyond
  • Everyday Dorie: The Way I Cook
  • Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
  • Feast: Food to Celebrate Life
  • A Modern Way to Eat: Over 200 Satisfying, Everyday Vegetarian Recipes (That Will Make You Feel Amazing)
  • Six Seasons: A New Way with Vegetables
  • A Modern Way to Cook: Over 150 quick, smart and flavour-packed recipes for every day
  • The Modern Cook’s Year: Over 250 vibrant vegetable recipes to see you through the seasons
  • Milk Street: Tuesday Nights: More than 200 Simple Weeknight Suppers that Deliver Bold Flavor, Fast
  • River Cottage Veg Every Day!
Yotam Ottolenghi's path to the world of cooking and baking has been anything but straightforward. Having completed a Masters degree in philosophy and literature whilst working on the news desk of an Israeli daily, he made a radical shift on coming to London in 1997. He started as an assistant pastry chef at the Capital and then worked at Kensington Place and Launceston Place, where he ran the past ...more

News & Interviews