Start by marking “Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)” as Want to Read:
Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)

Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes

(Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)

Discover the truth about the great conflicts of the D&D multiverse in this supplement for the world's greatest roleplaying game.

This tome is built on the writings of the renowned wizard from the world of Greyhawk, gathered over a lifetime of research and scholarship. In his travels to other realms and other planes of existence, he has made many friends, and has risked
Published May 29th 2018 by Wizards of the Coast

To ask other readers questions about Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes

Mike Mearls
So I had a 50 book challenge for the year, and realized I was behind schedule because I was reading books for work. Wrote chunks of this one, but did spend reading time re-reading the final work, so I’m counting it!
Shadowdenizen
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rpg-d-and-d
Mid point review: Giff make everything better. Who doesn"t love sentient spacefaring hippos with guns? And about time they got demons/devils into 5E properly. (I do not count "Out of the Abyss".)
***
4.5 stars.
Wizards continues their trend of quality expansion books. While not as cruch-heavy as Xanathar's, this gives DM's some major tools to play with, including the return of the Blood Wars (first created for the 2E Planescape setting.)
Diz
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rpg
This is a solid supplement for 5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons. The first half of the book contains in depth looks at several races including elves, drow, dwarfs, duregar, gith, halflings, gnomes, devils, and demons. These sections include information about the origins and mythology of these races, which can be quite helpful for setting up story ideas. The second half of the book covers about 100 monsters that can be included in campaigns. Overall, it is a really good collection of monsters, bu ...more
Jasmine
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Aw yeah give me that delicious crunchy lore.
Julian Meynell
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rpg, reviewed
This is a pretty good expansion for D&D 5th, especially when taken with Volo's guide to Monsters which is the more essential of the two and I would recommend buying before this. It is split into two sections. The first has an in depth look at monster types. It includes the Blood War between Devils and Demons and the War between the Githyanki and the Githzerai, but the bulk of it fleshes out Dwarves, Elves, Gnomes and Halflings and is most useful for players and for adding fluff to campaigns ...more
Kevin Leung
Oct 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Solid addition, though I enjoyed Volos guide more. The background on the elves, dwarves, halflings, and gnomes may help to flesh out those cultures for both players and dms. I thought the blood war segment was the weakest, but if you plan on using it, maybe that was the best part.

I guess you should just look over the table of contents, and that should tell you if you should read it.
Kendra Lawrence
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Admittedly, I haven’t read through this book in its entirety. As an elf and gods found, I mainly focused on chapter 2, as I had been hearing rumors about lore changes, and I wanted to read it for myself. And I am coming away with mixed feelings. There are some significant lore changes that override a lot of previous lore. I realize this book is not Faerun-specific, but they still changed a lot. Yes, I am one of *those* people who care about the lore of the setting. To me, it isn’t just fluff you ...more
James
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some great background into the races of Faerun & Greyhawk. Some very interesting creature builds but no guidelines on customization.
James Bowman
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, dnd, rpg
A hybrid of character resource and monster book, Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes tries to balance the two aspects, rather like the iconic D&D character the book is named for. It doesn't quite manage that balance... but it's still a good sourcebook for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition.

Like other books of its type in 5E, Mordenkainen's has a fictional author and occasional commentator, Mordenkainen himself. Mordenkainen might be the most interesting narrator thus far, if more portentous than his
Andy Olson
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm a little disappointed. Presumably much of the lore in this book is findable elsewhere in DnD texts and since it's mostly fluff with little mechanics updated for 5e, it seems unnecessary. The bestiary seems pretty good however.
Taddow
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great addition to the Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition system. It offers additional background information on the Elves (including the Feywild's Eladrin and the Shadowfell's Shadar-Kai), Halflings, Gnomes, Dwarves (including the Duegar) and the Gith. Optional rules are also included for making characters from these races. The second part of the book includes additional monsters for use as allies or adversaries. It was good to see the inclusion of a lot of favorites from the AD&D ...more
Keith Davis
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mordenkainen's is a D&D supplement book organized into chapters based on pairs of related opposites. The idea here is that Modenkainen, who was a wizard character played by Gary Gygax himself, was not a champion of good or evil but rather of balance between the opposing forces of the multiverse. The book is very heavy on flavor text, which I like, and can be used to add depth to and inspire campaigns.

The first chapter deals with Devils and Demons, which are very different things in the worl
Ian Mathers
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, rpgs
This one definitely shares some virtues with Volo's Guide... the in-depth backgrounds continue to be very welcome whether I'm planning to use some, all, or none of them myself (and like a lot of 5E there's so much here that would help DMs new to the game or pen and paper RPGs in general get better at it in various ways, even just by pointing out the kinds of things you should be considering). But while the demons and devils (and the Blood War in general) and the two varieties of Gith get backgro ...more
Scott Frank
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great book; it's a huge win for lovers of D&D lore, DMs seeking backstory for their campaigns, and anyone who has been needing some high-levels foes to spice up their lives (or deaths, depending on how it goes, I suppose).

Just for background, I'm an old grognard - I've been playing D&D since 1982, before the editions were numbered. I know some of my cranky fellow grognards hate the 5e books, but I find them almost uniformly well-produced and worthwhile (almost, since some of th
Chris Jackson
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is very informative on the blood war and the Gith's endless war, as well as giving more insight into the lives and cultures of elves, dwarves, halflings and gnomes, with information on the darker sides of the races that have them.

It is also filled with over 100 pages of 'new' information and stats for monsters, as well as a few containing more concentrated versions of monster races such as the Drow Matron.

Like all of the 5e information manuals I have read so far, this has been very in
Hazel
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: game-guide, fantasy
This book is a compendium of lore, designed to help you get a better feeling for the races in dnd, as well as lore for some of the more monstrous races.

I enjoyed the sections about the playable races the most. Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, Etc. The lore about demons and devils and Gith, and such else just wasn't nearly as interesting to me.

Of course this book isn't just lore. It also contains new monsters, and even playable races and subraces, and most of that is pretty cool. So overall a decent resou
Akira Watts
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Parts are a bit hit or miss. Why even bother including eladrin and sea elves, if you only devote a few paragraphs? And the halfling/gnome chapter has some weird shit - Greyhawk halflings are covered with fur, apparently. The stats for the assorted fiends are deeply underwhelming, and missing all the interesting archdevils. But, as a source for role playing inspiration and stores, pretty damned good.
Mika Himanen
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
ToF siirsi vanhan D&D-perimätiedon useilta osin viidennen edition käyttöön. Lopun Bestiary sisälsi sopivasti eri tasoisia vastustajia eri haastetasoille ja täydensi alun rotuesittelyjä. Kuten muukin viidennen edition materiaali, lopuksi jäi kuitenkin orpo olo. Ei mitään suoranaista vikaa ...mutta aivan kuin jotain puuttuisi.
Heather Iveson
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, game-books
Fantastic lore and creature information presented in a way that makes it a very interesting read, probably the best of the 5th edition books yet in that regard. I've found a few to put to use already, and am looking forward to seeing them in action, and seeing them use the entertaining tricks they have up their various sleeves. That said, quite a few stat blocks were underwhelming.
Matthew
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I think it would be *great* if any WotC material was set in Greyhawk. But all the official material so far - years worth of books! - that i love, is forgotten realms, which i also love and wouldnt want them to change. So after finishing this book i realized i had thoroughly enjoyed reading it but would never use a scrap of any of it =(

Christine Rains
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great addition to 5th edition. Lots of fantastic history and more in-depth details about races like elves, halflings, gnomes, gith, and demons & devils. It includes extras for making characters and some big time monsters. While I thoroughly enjoyed the book, it isn't one I'd carry with me to every session.
John Stinebaugh
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love it when rule books use story elements to add flavor instead of just presenting game statistics. My only wish would have been that this had become a full narrative of Mordenkainen on a journey with clues about the creatures and this overall story.
ik.ben.henri
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first hundred pages are actually a must read for every DnD enthousiast. It explains the history of the different races of the game and how to roleplay them. It also gives tips on how to roleplay evil aligned characters in a good aligned campaign.
Alex Menke
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It has everything I like, lore and monsters! Fun read and definitely gave me some good ideas to use in future games.
Jeff M
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best supplements so far. Highly recommended.
Lucas Looney
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The section on the Blood War will have DM's salivating like a pit fiend.
Jonathan
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn't read the bestiary section, only skimmed it, but I really enjoyed the rest of the book. Knowing more about these races and their cultures can only help my game play and DMing.
Andy Horton
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Lots of lore, some high-end monsters and adversaries.
Daniel A.
To some extent (possibly [probably] a great extent), roleplaying game supplements defy the ability to meaningfully review them, at least on my end, given that the deeper you delve into the RPG's setting, the more inclined you already are to appreciate the work anyway. In that regard, Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes is more of the same; where Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes—like most other sourcebooks for Wizards of the Coast's 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons—differs is that not only does WotC have cl ...more
Adam Rogers
Jun 19, 2018
Goodreads Librari...: Page numbers wrong 4 18 Sep 02, 2018 12:19PM
  • Curse of Strahd (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)
  • Numenera Corebook
  • Out of the Abyss
  • Dungeon Master's Guide (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)
  • Dungeon World
  • Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook 2: A 4th Edition D&D Core Rulebook
  • Player's Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)
  • Dogs in the Vineyard
  • Princes of the Apocalypse
  • Epic Level Handbook
  • The Complete Priest's Handbook
  • The Crown of Kings (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #4)
  • Arms and Equipment Guide
  • Savage Worlds Deluxe Explorers Edition
  • Critical Role: Tal’Dorei Campaign Setting
  • Vampire: The Requiem (nWOD)
  • Hunter: The Reckoning
  • Vampire: The Masquerade

Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition (10 books)
  • Player's Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)
  • Monster Manual (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)
  • Dungeon Master's Guide (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)
  • Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide