Start by marking “The Mansion” as Want to Read:
The Mansion

The Mansion

After two years of living on cheap beer and little else in a bitterly cold tiny cabin outside an abandoned, crumbling mansion, young programmers Shawn Eagle and Billy Stafford have created something that could make them rich: a revolutionary computer they name Eagle Logic.

But the hard work and escalating tension have not been kind to their once solid friendship—Shawn’s gir
Published December 4th 2018 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books

To ask other readers questions about The Mansion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mansion

Start your review of The Mansion
karen
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grgiveaways
who needs giant carnivorous spiders when you have a haunted house, an AI gone rogue, spooky twins, unresolved grudges, and murrrrderrrrrrr? well, okay, i still need giant carnivorous spiders (in my reading), but this is also pretty rad! it’s a big fat SF/horror novel that’s like 2001: A Space Odyssey meets The Shining meets Black Mirror meets, i dunno - Jurassic Park? something riddled with hubris, you choose.

two nerds (view spoiler) spend a couple of their
Edward Lorn
Dec 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
With all due respect to the publisher, what the fuck were you thinking?

One of my updates for this book was: "This book reads like water tastes." That's really all you need to know but I'm going to go into detail, so buckle up and grab your snacks, we about to go all in on this motherfucker.

Imagine, if you will, Stephen King's THE SHINING as written by Michael Crichton and Stephenie Meyer. Yes, you read that right. Bad techno-thriller with a ham-fisted love triangle and the most boring writing t
megs_bookrack
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
...there's no way we're going to stay here and wait for Nellie to go all redrum on us.

What would happen if HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey were set up to run The Overlook Hotel from The Shining?

This book. That's what would happen.

Billy Stafford and Shawn Eagle created Nellie, a computer system built to serve, better than AI and continually rewriting herself for your happiness.

Then they installed her into a creepy old haunted mansion secluded in the woods of upstate New York. Billy and his wife
Char
Jan 04, 2019 marked it as dreaded-dnf
Thank you to Net Galley and to Atria books for the e-ARC of THE MANSION.

I'm sorry to say that I'm setting it aside for now. I love this author's style of writing and I love this premise, but it's taking way too long for anything to happen. I'm finding myself dragging my feet every time I try to go back to this book. I gave it 40% and I think that's a fair shot.

Perhaps I'll come back to it at a later time-so for now: No star rating.

Thanks to Atria for the opportunity!
Carrie
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Mansion by Ezekiel Boone is a horror story that brings the idea of a haunting into this century and the digital age. After reading one might think twice before ever asking Siri or Alexa for any more favors in their lives.

Straight out of school Shawn Eagle and Billy Stafford spent a year locked away in a remote cabin writing the coding that would one day change the world, Eagle Logic. However, instead of both of them basking in the glory when the business booms Shawn got the company and Billy
Darinda
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Shawn and Billy once created a computer called Eagle Logic, but their friendship and business partnership went downhill fast. Shawn went on to build Eagle Logic into a a billion-dollar tech company. Now, it's years later, and Shawn needs Billy's help resurrecting an old project. The project is a next-generation computer program that has a problem Shawn can't work out on his own. He has housed the project in his family's old mansion, which he recently remodeled. Billy takes the job, and he and hi ...more
Kendall
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
So premise of this story as absolutely addicting! I was super excited to dive into this one... but unfortunately my diving was not worth my overall experience :(.

Ezekiel Boone delivers a story about a haunted house influenced heavily on to the technological side. Can I just say.. I'm never buying one of those google/Alexa devices after this though haha.

The story focuses on Billy who is tech giant combining Apple and Google.. always wanting to strive more. Billy and his ex partner Shawn ran a com
ABookwormWithWine
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ / 5

The idea behind The Mansion by Ezekiel Boone is an interesting and fascinating one, but this book is not going to be for everyone!

What it's about: Young programmers Shawn Eagle and Billy Stafford work for 2 years in a small, isolated cabin next to the decrepit Eagle Mansion, on a program that is eventually named Eagle Logic. Billy and Shawn have a falling out when Billy leaves with Shawn's girlfriend Emily, and after the mysterious disappearance of their third partner, Takata. Years
Juli
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Years ago two friends had a falling out. One went on to become a tech mogul billionaire. And the other became a drunk. A project they worked on before they went their separate ways -- a very complex AI program they named Nellie -- is now almost a reality. Shawn Eagle -- owner of Eagle Technology -- needs his old friend (or is frenemy more correct?) Billy to come tweak the program. When Shawn installed Her at the now refurbished Eagle Mansion for a trial run, Nellie had some pretty severe glitche ...more
Michael Hicks
Nov 25, 2018 marked it as quit-dnf
Shelves: horror, netgalley
A recovering alcoholic in a marriage on the rocks is offered a job to oversee a former hotel, now just a mansion, notorious for its macabre past. Sound familiar? Stop me if you've heard this one, then - there's a gifted child, in this case twins, with supernatural abilities thanks to being born with a caul.

I've read this book before, and it was a hell of a lot better the first time around. In The Mansion, Ezekiel Boone wages a full-frontal assault against reader's interests, bogging down the fir
Erin Clemence
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, kindle
Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free, electronic ARC of this novel.

I was super excited to read “The Mansion” by Ezekiel Boone, not only because of the time of year, but because I absolutely loved Boone’s previous works (The Hatching and Skitter). That being said, I headed into this one with high expectations.

Shawn Eagle and Billy Stafford spent two years living in nearly complete seclusion, working on a new technology that would innovate the world as they know it. Altho
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
I absolutely love the author's spider apocalypse trilogy and couldn't wait to see what else he was going to throw at us and here it is! Something completely different from his other work and I enjoyed it immensely.

Billy's drawn back to this mansion that him and his ex (and soon to be again) business partner and friend, Shawn, lived for a couple of winters, because he's down on his luck and has royally fucked up his life on booze and drugs. His marriage is about to fall apart and his wife has no
♥Rachel♥
The Mansion started off a little slow for me with the introduction of characters and explanations of the technology Shawn and Billy were trying to invent way back before Eagle Logic officially took off. But as soon as that was out of the way, I was completely hooked wanting to find out what happened to Billy, Shawn and Emily in that tiny cabin on the creepy property of Eagle Mansion. Especially, since Billy and Emily are back, ten years after their spectacular fallout with Shawn, trying to fix t ...more
Fiona
It was a real challenge for me to settle on a rating for this book - I'm firm on 3.5 stars, and there's reasons to go both directions with it.

The Mansion is a change of pace from Ezekiel Boone, and if you followed a trail of giant spiders to this book, you might be disappointed. This is no campy horror movie - if, like me, your expectations were somewhere in the neighbourhood of 13 Ghosts meets The Shining, readjust; this is a much more thoughtful thing.

At the heart of the story lie the choices
Kimberly
This just didn't hold up to my expectations after reading his other books... Too much redundant information, not enough "substance" to keep the suspense flowing.
Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

And, sigh, an honest review is what they're going to get. I'm sad it's not going to be super positive. I sincerely adored Boone's Hatching trilogy. Seriously, I obsessed over it when it was coming out. I had to wait for book three for so long and read it the instant it came out. It had action. It had character development (even the red-shirts felt fleshed out before they got, well, red-s
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
3.5 Stars

Ezekiel Boone has an amazing ability to turn mundane every day objects or beings into something truly terrifying. Something that once read, you can never unread or un-picture again. Once you have that terrifying thought of the what if in your mind, it's so very hard to ever see them the same again.

From spiders to houses, he can make them all not only seem horrific but truly like something you can imagine happening in our world and that might the most terrifying part of it all.

The Mans
Wendy-Lynn
Aug 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
I was so excited when I learned I won this through a Goodreads giveaway. Don't let the synopsis or the book cover fool you. There was no "horror" or "scary" anything in this one. It was slow moving, bizarre, and 400+ pages to boot!!! Was very disappointed to say the least.
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
I couldn't wait to read this book. It is a Night Worms book we aren't planning to read until the spring, but I said screw that, since it felt like a perfect wintertime book. A haunted technological mansion in the snow? Sign me up.

This book is heavily influenced by The Shining, and I do mean heavily. I don't think it's a bad thing to look up to your writing idols and get inspiration from them. Everyone does it. Hell, even King steals stuff, like Shardik the Bear: yep, he stole that straight-up fr
OutlawPoet
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Truth – I’m disappointed.

I loved the author’s Hatching series. And while I recognize that, by its very nature, The Mansion can’t be a bitey bitey chomp fest, I still expected something…epic.

Instead, I got flashbacks. Lots of ‘em. The kind where eventually you start skimming through them to get to the current story.

I got a love triangle. The love triangle of all love triangles. Not only does it fill the plot, it becomes the plot!

I got some weird twins. I liked them, but thought they belonged in a
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
THE MANSION is Ezekiel Boone's new book after fabulous The Hatching trilogy. This book is something else completely. It's a story about an old crumbling mansion and a love story that will destroy a friendship and turn two men into bitter enemies.

Shawn Eagle and Billy Stafford were once a great team, but Shawn's girlfriend Emily left him for Billy. Shawn, however, ended up with the innovative computer Eagle Logic that he and Billy had created together. So, while Billy and Emily had each other, Sh
Kristy
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
**Thank you to NetGalley and Atria Books for a free copy of The Mansion in exchange for an honest review.**

Best friends Shawn and Billy are talented young programmers who spend all of their spare time trying to create a revolutionary computer program that will make them rich. However, with the disappearance of a third party member and the introduction of Emily, Shawn's new girlfriend, their friendship begins to disintegrate. When Emily leaves Shawn for Billy, the once strong friendship is foreve
Reese Copeland
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed the book, the development the characters And the hope for redemption of Billy. The creepiness of Nelly, the SO was intense. Great story!
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/12/20/...

Following The Hatching trilogy, Ezekiel Boone returns with another sci-fi horror thriller, this time delving into the world of artificial intelligence by tackling an idea I’m sure most of us who utilize smart technology devices and AI assistants have entertained at some point or another. Every day my Amazon Alexa spectacularly fails at interpreting my voice commands is another day I can sleep easy knowing that humanity’s
paigeee [ a bookish brat ]
I’m sorry to say that I will be DNF’ing this book at 49%. The entire beginning was seriously description after description of the same thing. I wanted more character building and more AI interactions.

I’m sad. I love a good, evil AI.
Like, The Red Queen.
❤️
Sana
'It was one thing to get a computer to move in the spaces between the ones and zeros, but it was another thing to force her to live there.'

So this book ended up being entirely too long with very little amount of it actually being a thriller (🗣️ SO MAYBE DON'T CALL IT A THRILLER THEN). I say too long because there's a whole lot of repetitiveness going on of just about everything like I get it, man, now chill. What I don't get is that there's a freaking mansion that has a 'ghost in the machine' an
Stacey Camp
**4 Goodreads Stars**

After reading Ezekiel Boone's The Mansion, I don't think I will ever, ever, EVER purchase an Alexa for my house! When I read about this book on a friend's Instagram feed, I immediately knew I needed a copy of it. Who wouldn't love a book that involves a love triangle, a haunted mansion, and artificial intelligence? If that sounds like a lot of themes to tackle in one book, yes, you are probably right. However, somehow Boone makes it work for the most part.

The book's centr
 Reading Reindeer
Review: THE MANSION by Ezekiel Boone

Readers who have read Ezekiel Boone's HATCHING Trilogy know this author cranks up tense suspense and delivers the scares. I venture to predict: "you ain't seen nothing yet." THE MANSION scared the living daylights out of me, a Haunted House story like no other. Oh, a time or too writers or filmmakers have taken a run at the "Smart House" concept, but THE MANSION goes far beyond. (And yes, I also predict this one will be optioned for film.)

THE MANSION draws in
Trina
What happens when two friends, who are on the eve of a technological breakthrough that will change life for the masses, both fall in love with the same girl? What happens when years later that technological breakthrough needs both of these friends to finish what they started?

Billy Stafford and Shawn Eagle are longtime friends and tech/engineering gurus. After an ugly disagreement, they haven’t spoken in years until an old project brings them back together. Old wounds are reopened and bizarre fa
Lisa
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, horror, fiction, own

This book will be released on Dec 4th 2018. I received an ARC in a Goodreads giveaway from Emily Bestler Books/Atria books.

I had never read an Ezekiel Boone book before, although I had kept my eye out for a copy of The Hatching since it sounded like something I might like and would keep me up at night :) I will definitely have to check out his backlist after reading The Mansion.

I deeply enjoyed this book about an AI that is hardwired into an elaborate mansion. It’s name is Nellie an

• The Pandora Room (Ben Walker, #2)
  • Inspection
  • Growing Things and Other Stories
  • Full Throttle
  • The Sorrows
  • One of Us Will Be Dead by Morning
  • The Possession (The Anomaly Files #2)
  • The God Game
  • Imaginary Friend
  • The Dark Game
I live in upstate New York with my wife and kids. Whenever I travel and say I'm from New York, people think I mean NYC, but we live about three hours north of New York City. Our house is five minutes outside of a university town. We're far enough out of town that, at night, it's dark.
Darker than that.
Dark enough that, if you're not careful, you might fall off the small cliff at the edge of m