Start by marking “The Mansion” as Want to Read:
The Mansion

The Mansion

After two years of living on cheap beer and little else in a bitterly cold tiny cabin outside an abandoned, crumbling mansion, young programmers Shawn Eagle and Billy Stafford have created something that could make them rich: a revolutionary computer they name Eagle Logic.

But the hard work and escalating tension have not been kind to their once solid friendship—Shawn’s gir
Published December 4th 2018 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books

To ask other readers questions about The Mansion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mansion

karen
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grgiveaways
NOW AVAILABLE!!!

who needs giant carnivorous spiders when you have a haunted house, an AI gone rogue, spooky twins, unresolved grudges, and murrrrderrrrrrr? well, okay, i still need giant carnivorous spiders (in my reading), but this is also pretty rad! it’s a big fat SF/horror novel that’s like 2001: A Space Odyssey meets The Shining meets Black Mirror meets, i dunno - Jurassic Park? something riddled with hubris, you choose.

two nerds (view spoiler) spend
Edward  Lorn
Dec 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
With all due respect to the publisher, what the fuck were you thinking?

One of my updates for this book was: "This book reads like water tastes." That's really all you need to know but I'm going to go into detail, so buckle up and grab your snacks, we about to go all in on this motherfucker.

Imagine, if you will, Stephen King's THE SHINING as written by Michael Crichton and Stephenie Meyer. Yes, you read that right. Bad techno-thriller with a ham-fisted love triangle and the most boring writing t
Carrie
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, wheelathon
The Mansion by Ezekiel Boone is a horror story that brings the idea of a haunting into this century and the digital age. After reading one might think twice before ever asking Siri or Alexa for any more favors in their lives.

Straight out of school Shawn Eagle and Billy Stafford spent a year locked away in a remote cabin writing the coding that would one day change the world, Eagle Logic. However, instead of both of them basking in the glory when the business booms Shawn got the company and Billy
megs_bookrack
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
...there's no way we're going to stay here and wait for Nellie to go all redrum on us.

What would happen if HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey were set up to run The Overlook Hotel from The Shining? This book. That's what would happen.

Billy Stafford and Shawn Eagle created 'Nellie' - a computer system built to serve, better than AI and continually rewriting herself for your 'happiness' - and installed her into a creepy old haunted mansion secluded in the woods of upstate New York. Then Billy and his
Kendall
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
So premise of this story as absolutely addicting! I was super excited to dive into this one... but unfortunately my diving was not worth my overall experience :(.

Ezekiel Boone delivers a story about a haunted house influenced heavily on to the technological side. Can I just say.. I'm never buying one of those google/Alexa devices after this though haha.

The story focuses on Billy who is tech giant combining Apple and Google.. always wanting to strive more. Billy and his ex partner Shawn ran a com
Juli
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Years ago two friends had a falling out. One went on to become a tech mogul billionaire. And the other became a drunk. A project they worked on before they went their separate ways -- a very complex AI program they named Nellie -- is now almost a reality. Shawn Eagle -- owner of Eagle Technology -- needs his old friend (or is frenemy more correct?) Billy to come tweak the program. When Shawn installed Her at the now refurbished Eagle Mansion for a trial run, Nellie had some pretty severe glitche ...more
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
I absolutely love the author's spider apocalypse trilogy and couldn't wait to see what else he was going to throw at us and here it is! Something completely different from his other work and I enjoyed it immensely.

Billy's drawn back to this mansion that him and his ex (and soon to be again) business partner and friend, Shawn, lived for a couple of winters, because he's down on his luck and has royally fucked up his life on booze and drugs. His marriage is about to fall apart and his wife has no
Michael Hicks
Nov 25, 2018 marked it as quit
A recovering alcoholic in a marriage on the rocks is offered a job to oversee a former hotel, now just a mansion, notorious for its macabre past. Sound familiar? Stop me if you've heard this one, then - there's a gifted child, in this case twins, with supernatural abilities thanks to being born with a caul.

I've read this book before, and it was a hell of a lot better the first time around. In The Mansion, Ezekiel Boone wages a full-frontal assault against reader's interests, bogging down the fir
Erin Clemence
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, first-reads
Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free, electronic ARC of this novel.

I was super excited to read “The Mansion” by Ezekiel Boone, not only because of the time of year, but because I absolutely loved Boone’s previous works (The Hatching and Skitter). That being said, I headed into this one with high expectations.

Shawn Eagle and Billy Stafford spent two years living in nearly complete seclusion, working on a new technology that would innovate the world as they know it. Althoug
♥Rachel♥
The Mansion started off a little slow for me with the introduction of characters and explanations of the technology Shawn and Billy were trying to invent way back before Eagle Logic officially took off. But as soon as that was out of the way, I was completely hooked wanting to find out what happened to Billy, Shawn and Emily in that tiny cabin on the creepy property of Eagle Mansion. Especially, since Billy and Emily are back, ten years after their spectacular fallout with Shawn, trying to fix t ...more
Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

And, sigh, an honest review is what they're going to get. I'm sad it's not going to be super positive. I sincerely adored Boone's Hatching trilogy. Seriously, I obsessed over it when it was coming out. I had to wait for book three for so long and read it the instant it came out. It had action. It had character development (even the red-shirts felt fleshed out before they got, well, red-s
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
3.5 Stars

Ezekiel Boone has an amazing ability to turn mundane every day objects or beings into something truly terrifying. Something that once read, you can never unread or un-picture again. Once you have that terrifying thought of the what if in your mind, it's so very hard to ever see them the same again.

From spiders to houses, he can make them all not only seem horrific but truly like something you can imagine happening in our world and that might the most terrifying part of it all.

The Mans
Kristy
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
**Thank you to NetGalley and Atria Books for a free copy of The Mansion in exchange for an honest review.**

Best friends Shawn and Billy are talented young programmers who spend all of their spare time trying to create a revolutionary computer program that will make them rich. However, with the disappearance of a third party member and the introduction of Emily, Shawn's new girlfriend, their friendship begins to disintegrate. When Emily leaves Shawn for Billy, the once strong friendship is foreve
Laura Rash
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well THAT was WAY different from spiders! Imagine a world where technology has evolved into something you depend on even more than you do now but things go crazily wrong! Add some weird happenings beyond that and some strange twins and here you go! I always like to see an author branch out to a totally new style of book after a very successful series. I think it shows a writing talent that’s not stuck on one idea.
Thanks to Atria for this early copy & I also won a copy from Goodreads (I shar
OutlawPoet
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Truth – I’m disappointed.

I loved the author’s Hatching series. And while I recognize that, by its very nature, The Mansion can’t be a bitey bitey chomp fest, I still expected something…epic.

Instead, I got flashbacks. Lots of ‘em. The kind where eventually you start skimming through them to get to the current story.

I got a love triangle. The love triangle of all love triangles. Not only does it fill the plot, it becomes the plot!

I got some weird twins. I liked them, but thought they belonged in a
Lisa
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, fiction, horror, own

This book will be released on Dec 4th 2018. I received an ARC in a Goodreads giveaway from Emily Bestler Books/Atria books.

I had never read an Ezekiel Boone book before, although I had kept my eye out for a copy of The Hatching since it sounded like something I might like and would keep me up at night :) I will definitely have to check out his backlist after reading The Mansion.

I deeply enjoyed this book about an AI that is hardwired into an elaborate mansion. It’s name is Nellie and
Stacey Camp
**4 Goodreads Stars**

After reading Ezekiel Boone's The Mansion, I don't think I will ever, ever, EVER purchase an Alexa for my house! When I read about this book on a friend's Instagram feed, I immediately knew I needed a copy of it. Who wouldn't love a book that involves a love triangle, a haunted mansion, and artificial intelligence? If that sounds like a lot of themes to tackle in one book, yes, you are probably right. However, somehow Boone makes it work for the most part.

The book's central
Bandit
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was meant to be a sort of end of October special. The combined powers of Boone’s creepy crawlies trilogy and title and genre selections for this promised a typical haunted mansion fare, which should have been quite fun. But look closer…see how the cover image is sort of digitally distorted. Well, that pretty much sums up the book for you, that digital distortion. And for those of us who prefer our scares analog, this might not do the trick after all. Also it does the book no favors going in ...more
Lisa
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved this book, it wasn't scary as give you nightmares it was more of the creepy factor that this could actully happen. We rely on technology so much that if "Nellie" was real no way would I ever want something like that. I found my self still thinking about this book a couple of days after I finished it I don't think there was one thing I didn't like. I can't wait for this to come on sale to reread again.

Thanks to netgalley and Atri books for this ARC.
Cthulhu Down My Chimney 2Night
Review: THE MANSION by Ezekiel Boone

Readers who have read Ezekiel Boone's HATCHING Trilogy know this author cranks up tense suspense and delivers the scares. I venture to predict: "you ain't seen nothing yet." THE MANSION scared the living daylights out of me, a Haunted House story like no other. Oh, a time or too writers or filmmakers have taken a run at the "Smart House" concept, but THE MANSION goes far beyond. (And yes, I also predict this one will be optioned for film.)

THE MANSION draws in
Laura Thomas
I really enjoyed the Hatching series and when I saw the author had a haunted house tale, I couldn’t wait to see how he spun it.

The house is haunted. In more ways than one. It’s a smart house like no other. But what do you do when the AI goes rogue?

I can’t begin to review this in the way I’d like. It would have too many spoilers. There are so many side stories that come together in the end to reveal the truth about the haunting. The characters have their own agendas and some secrets they’d do mos
Donna Hines
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
This reminded me of another book, 'The Girl Before' by J.P. Delaney as it centers around a similar concept in futuristic style houses that can turn against you.
Eagle Logic was to be a masterpiece idea with top of the line computers built within that was programmed by Shawn Eagle and Billy Stafford.
However, while one gained popularity and success over his ideas the other did not and fell deeply behind.
Shawn now famous for his inventions has an opposite appeal as a sexist pig and perfectionist who
Cheryl
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this high tech haunted house tale

Years ago Billy Stafford and Shawn Eagle lived in a hovel on property owned by Shawn's family for generations. They were just starting out as programmers but were well on their way to creating the next generation of unseen before technology.

Billy ended up with Shawn's girlfriend and started on a downward spiral with his life. And Shawn created a multi-billion dollar tech empire.

Things would have been different if Shawn didn't come back to Billy years later
Sana
Feb 06, 2018 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts
This sounds like an episode of Black Mirror so naturally: INTO IT
Jessica
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shawn Eagle and Billy Stafford spent two years living in a dilapidated cabin outside of the desolate, empty Eagle Mansion, subsisting on cheap beer and an enthusiasm to create something new. The two programmers worked hand in hand to create the revolutionary technology that they named Eagle Logic. Along the way Emily began dating Shawn and tension soon escalated between the best friends. Eventually their rock solid friendship crumbled away and Billy left the cabin with Emily to start a new life. ...more
Kelsey Cretcher
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
`I received a digital ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

"The Mansion" by Ezekiel Boone, is a perfect example of a wasted concept. When I received this book I was very excited. I was raised on SciFi horror, but have found it very rare to find this genre in books. Based on the cover, I was expecting just a general horror story. But upon reading the description, I was surprised to find that it was, in theory, not this. It was actually about an experimental house AI going wrong. S
Nicole Overmoyer
If you feel like you can't live without Siri, Alexa, Cortana, Google... you probably don't want to read this book. I've used Alexa a few times, but I can live without.

Which I will absolutely do after reading this book, live without a virtual 'assistant' who can answer any question I have and remind me of obscure, easily forgettable things.

*brb going to make sure Alexa is disabled on my Kindle Fire*

I hope Ezekiel Boone won't mind me describing The Mansion as something that gives me strong vibes
Teri
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I read The Hatching series by this author, which I enjoyed, and after seeing the cover of this one - needed it immediately.  And AI books fascinate me.

After reading this, you may think twice about having a smart home.  The thought of a computer program becoming sentient and deciding independently to control the lives of its creators is freaky scary.  It made me think about how my Alexa speaks at random times - even when no one is in the room with her.  Nellie is dark and dangerous - and she real
Steve Tannuzzo
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
If you're concerned that smart homes are a little too smart for their own good, then Ezekiel Boone would like you to read his book. In "The Mansion," a very successful tech whiz is reunited with his down-on-his-luck former partner and rival to build a supercomputer that runs every function of an abandoned mansion. Needless to say when you put complete trust in a computer to run your home, bad things are going to happen. The first half of this book seems a little too familiar. It reads like a red ...more
Wendy-Lynn
Aug 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
I was so excited when I learned I won this through a Goodreads giveaway. Don't let the synopsis or the book cover fool you. There was no "horror" or "scary" anything in this one. It was slow moving, bizarre, and 400+ pages to boot!!! Was very disappointed to say the least.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I live in upstate New York with my wife and kids. Whenever I travel and say I'm from New York, people think I mean NYC, but we live about three hours north of New York City. Our house is five minutes outside of a university town. We're far enough out of town that, at night, it's dark.
Darker than that.
Dark enough that, if you're not careful, you might fall off the small cliff at the edge of m