Start by marking “The Geography of Lost Things” as Want to Read:
The Geography of Lost Things

The Geography of Lost Things

In this romantic road trip story perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen and Morgan Matson, a teen girl discovers the value of ordinary objects while learning to forgive her absent father.

After Ali’s father passes away, he leaves his one and only prized possession—a 1968 Firebird convertible—to his daughter. But Ali doesn’t plan on keeping it. Not when it reminds her too much of
Published October 2nd 2018 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The Geography of Lost Things, please sign up.
Grace There is a tiny bit of language, but it isn't very strong. I think they only said "damn" a few times but then they made up their own silly versions of…moreThere is a tiny bit of language, but it isn't very strong. I think they only said "damn" a few times but then they made up their own silly versions of swear words such as "fungicide". I think the book was clean with no sexual content. It was a wonderful book!(less)

Start your review of The Geography of Lost Things
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hardback, own
I love road trip books and I loved this book!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
emma
This book was, in all honesty, simply nothing to me.

I felt nothing while I read it. No negative feelings. Definitely no positive feelings. I just read the words and waited for it to be over.

Of all the tropes that find themselves repeatedly in the young adult contemporary genre, the one that gets me EVERY TIME is the road trip. I love it. Give me ragtag groups of quirky teens and/or unlikely pairings of soon-to-be heterosexual couples (the two YA contemporary options), add in a trip to a Cool Emo
Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
RATING: 4/5

e-ARC provided by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

Another fun, romantic yet insightful novel by Jessica Brody. Having read and loved both A Week Of Mondays and The Chaos Of Standing Still, I had high expectations. Fortunately, this book did not disappoint. Jessica Brody is now an auto-buy author for me.

Ali Collins doesn’t have room in her life for clutter or complications. So when her estranged father passes away and leaves her his only prized possession—a 1968 Firebird con
Samantha (WLABB)
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy Brody's books, but usually there's a little something that keeps it from getting those all-the-stars. That was not the case with The Geography of Lost Things! Seriously, this is what I looked like when I finished reading this book:

I was crying. I was smiling. I was crying AND smiling. I just loved this story.

Five things I really loved about The Geography of Lost Things

1. Brody really took me on a fantastic road trip. I got to travel through the picturesque Pacific Northwest, and B
Carlene Inspired
Find this review and others at Carlene Inspired.

The Geography of Lost Things is, as the title suggests, a story about loss, lost things, and a road trip that teaches its main character about forgiveness and love. After her father passes away it seems the hits just keep on coming for Ali, first with her mother giving in to the letters left on their door and then with her dad's baby, his true love, his car, ending up in her possession. Ali doesn't hang on to things though and the car is the first
Juliana
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a digital arc from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
I absolutely LOVE this book. It was enjoyable from beginning to end.
Ali is in financial trouble and is losing her childhood home if she can't come up with a hefty sum of money. Her father recently passed away and has left her a 1968 firebird convertible. She puts it up on Craigslist and a car collector offers more than enough money for it. There's just one problem. She can't drive stick and her ex-boyfriend can. Thus begin
Jenn
I love road trips. They are one of my favorite things to do. Get your friends, some snacks and some good tunes and off you go. But I cannot imagine going on a road trip with an ex.

Life hasn't been kind to Ali lately. Her and her mother are about to lose their home and her non-existent father has passed away leaving them nothing but dept and an old car. Ali makes the split second decision to sell the car to try to save her childhood home, but she can't drive stick so she has no way to get the ca
Grace {Rebel Mommy Book Blog}
Yay my first Jessica Brody book!! I own several but it took her latest to finally get me to pick one up. So happy I finally did.

There was so much to love here:
Road Trip!!! Who doesn't love a good road trip in a book??Exes on the Road Trip. I mean you know it's going to be interesting when exes are stuck together for that long.
Craig's List. In order to get money they keep trading things up on Craig's List. It sounds silly but it was a really fun element to the trip.
Quizzes. Within the book there
regan
Aug 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
3.5 stars - this was a fun read. it was a little slow at times but i still enjoyed it overall. the romance was pretty underwhelming and i was expecting more, but it was still cute. overall, i recommend.
Nicole Alycia
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
Anyone who follows my feed knows I don’t read a ton of ya books. It takes a special kind of ya book to draw me in.
This one got my attention because it involves a road trip which I love! It ended up being a cute story about two exes learning to forgive and trust each other with the big secrets in their lives. I really enjoyed reading this one and hopefully I can find something similar that peeks my interest soon!
Kath (Read Forevermore)
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-arcs, reviews
An arc of this book was sent to me by Simon Pulse (Simon Teen) in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Rating: 3.5 / 5

The Geography of Lost Things is a fun, cute and quick contemporary read. It has the fun road trip setting, something I’m completely obsessed with. However, I found the book to be a wee bit boring in terms of the plotting. Don’t get me wrong, it was a pretty good book. It’s just I didn’t find it to be overly interesting.

— writing
When it comes to rati
alice (arctic books)
I really liked this one! RTC!
La La
4.5 stars on the blog.

When I requested this on Netgalley I thought it was Adult Contemporary Fiction and when I started reading and realized it was YA, I braced myself for a slobbery romance overload, but it never raised its ugly head. Anyone who knows me knows I am allergic to romance, and even though this story does have it, it is not over the top in either amount or content. The author gets HUGE accolades from me for this.

There are a lot of heavy themes in this book: absentee parentism, addic
Andrew
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Ali's father has done nothing but take and take from her mother. When he dies, he leaves her with his vintage convertible, which he always seemed to care about more than her. When she finds out what it's worth, she decides to sell it so she can save her house from being repossessed. But her ex-boyfriend, Nico, is the only one who can drive a stick shift with her up the coast... and he's not sure that selling it is a good idea.

I raced through The Geography of Lost Things, much like Ali and Nico i

K.
Trigger warnings: death of a parent, poverty as a result of a parent's actions.

3.5 stars.

So I'm a sucker for a roadtrip story. Especially when it's kind of a hate-to-love roadtrip story. And I really loved the idea of trading up to try and earn the money Ali needed. But at the same time, I didn't think the reason that she broke up with Nico was that big a deal and was more a case of USE YOUR FREAKING WORDS than anything.

I liked how much this dealt with grief and with the complexity of Ali's g
Claire  (Jst1MoreChapter)
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'll give this 3.5 stars rounded up for a goodreads rating...

I enjoyed this, it pulled at my heart strings and I flew through the last half, it was fun and had some really nice moments... but, it just didn't blow me away

What I liked:
I enjoyed the writing
It was cute
It wrenched my heart in a few places
Nico was lovely
Ali's character development

What I didn't like so much:
The thing that happened on the night they broke up was not that big of a deal IMHO
The sub plot which becomes the main plot the
Melanie
Aug 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: yabrc
This was a cute read. It was surprisingly a quick read, as well. I liked the road trip aspect and also the "quizes" in the story. I didn't like the curse words, but at least that was a rarity in the book. All in all, this was a fun story.
Trianna/Treereads
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a cute book that I flew through in one sitting. It had a fun road trip element (which I am always trash for) which was my favorite part. Other than that, it wasn't amazing and I am probably going to forget everything that happened quite soon.
Alexandria  Ang
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 rounded to nearly five stars. What an amazing read that taught me about love and forgiveness!
Maureen
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
this was CUTE and I really loved Ali & Nico's dynamic. I also loved that this book was kind of the opposite of one of my least favorite tropes - miscommunication. It was like an after-the-fact resolution of miscommunication that we didn't have to painfully sit through while it was happening, only after the fact, and then it was resolved. BEAUTIFUL. ...more
Sanne ♔ (Sanne and the Books)
this book is great, trust me. it's not the writing or the setting or the story itself that made me give this book (only) 3 stars. it's mostly the main character. i don't know what it is, but she is (view spoiler). ...more
Shreya
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, arcs
Thank you to Simon and Schuster for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH???????!!!!!!!!!!!! Honestly, I think any review I write will have to contain a lot of excited screaming, but I'm going to try to write cohesive sentences anyways. Coming soon, I promise!
Lindsey
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Every one of her books centers around heartache, which often makes them hard to read. This was hard to read and frustrating at times, but overall, it was sweet. The ending was much better than I anticipated and I’m glad she got some closure.
Olivia J
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely phenomenal. This was one of those books that just hit me at the right place in life. Not only was it expertly crafted, I felt the story and the themes in my soul. I can't say enough good about this book. I immediately put it on my favorites shelf.
Madison
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Geography of Lost Things is a fun road trip novel about learning to forgive and starting over. Jessica Brody weaves together a compelling story of second-chance romance and father-daughter relationships, family financial difficulties and learning to see again the value in little things.

Ali has just days until the bank will reclaim her family home and she and her mother must find somewhere else to live. Years of paying the debts of her flaky father, of learning that his promises can’t be tru
Aly
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A week before graduation, Ali Collins learn that her father, a man who was, more often than not, absent of her life, died and left her his prized possession : his blue 1968 Firebird convertible. She doesn't intend to keep it, anyway she needs the money to pay the bank and prevent the foreclosure of the house she lives with her mom. She find a buyer, but he lives far away and she doesn't drive stick shift. A road trip with her ex-boyfriend would never have been a part of her original plan, but wh ...more
Skye ~ Court of Binge Reading
**Thank you to NetGalley and to Simon and Schuster for sending me this ARC in exchange for an honest review**

The Geography of Lost Things was the contemporary book I didn’t know I needed. I truly loved this story. I think anyone who has a strained relationship with a parent should read this book. The author writes such a raw, realistic interpretation of an estranged child and parent relationship. She also expertly conveys how this estrangement can affect the child and their behavior.

At its co
Karen Barber
Ali has spent a long time trying to justify some of the things her father has done. It sounded as if he had some kind of mental health issue as he veered from manic to miserable in most of her recollections, but there’s no escaping the fact he made life hard for Ali and her mum. Struggling with debts he ran up before they were divorced, it’s crunch time.
From the outset we can see this is a complicated relationship, but it soon becomes clear that Ali is not the easiest of characters. When her fa
Alivya
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This. Book. Is. EVERYTHING! I literally have no words right now about how to describe this book and my feelings. For some unknown reason, the last 50 or so pages of this book made me so emotional and I just couldn't stop crying when we learned the truth about Ali's father. Its not that this is a sad book, I just really felt the true meaning that went into creating this masterpiece. This book is about how even the small, little things that seem unimportant can really change someone's life and I g ...more
Tessa
I’ve heard so many good things about this book and it made me very curious.
The story is about Ali and she isn’t very happy at the moment. She and her mom have to leave their house because they can’t pay it anymore. Ali is desperate and doesn’t want to move. When a very unexpected ‘surprise’ turns up at their house, she immediately knows what to do. The surprise is her father's old car and since Ali strongly hates her dad, she decides to sell the car to save their house.
The selling of the car tu

• Serious Moonlight
  • Wanderlost
  • Maybe This Time
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • Starry Eyes
  • If I'm Being Honest
  • Rules We're Meant to Break
  • Moment of Truth (Love, Life, and the List, #3)
  • Alex, Approximately
  • The Upside of Falling
  • Time of Our Lives
  • Field Notes on Love
  • The Rest of the Story
Jessica Brody knew from a young age that she wanted to be a writer. She started self “publishing” her own books when she was seven years old, binding the pages together with cardboard, wallpaper samples, and electrical tape.

After graduating from Smith College in 2001 where she double majored in Economics and French and minored in Japanese, Jessica later went on to work for MGM Studios as a Manager