Start by marking “Murder on Union Square (Gaslight Mystery, #21)” as Want to Read:
Murder on Union Square (Gaslight Mystery, #21)

Murder on Union Square

(Gaslight Mystery #21)

When a murder hits close to home, Frank finds himself in an unusual position--the prime suspect in the latest installment of the national bestselling Gaslight Mystery series...

Sarah and Frank Malloy are enjoying married life and looking to make their family official by adopting Catherine, the child whom Sarah rescued and has been raising as her daughter. The process seems
Published May 1st 2018 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Murder on Union Square, please sign up.
Asteropê This is easily found by going to the Amazon page:
"This title will be released on May 1, 2018."
;-)

Start your review of Murder on Union Square (Gaslight Mystery, #21)
Julie
Murder on Union Square by Victoria Thompson is a 2018 Berkley publication.

Frank- a murder suspect?

When Sarah and Frank hit a legal snag in their quest to adopt Catherine, Frank seeks to find a solution without breaking any laws. It would appear their troubles were solved when Catherine’s legal guardian is murdered, but because Frank discovered the body, he becomes suspect number one. In order to clear his name and save his reputation, he and Sarah, with the help of Gino and Maeve, must
Linda
There's a bit of theater in all of us.

Frank and Sarah Malloy are the mainstay characters of Victoria Thompson's Gaslight Mystery series. We're now entering #21 and I've been locked in since the very beginning and always will be.

Our newly married couple have been through quite a lot of adventures and misshaps throughout the years and Victoria Thompson carves out very creative scenarios for them. Sarah has taken her midwifery skills to a higher level and is now opening a renovated birthing center
Phrynne
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019
An intriguing little surprise at the start when Frank himself becomes a murder suspect. This sets the scene for his little team to start an investigation to clear his name.

I thought this book worked very well. I enjoyed the humour behind Maeve and Gino's developing relationship. I liked the way Sarah and Frank worked together and also how Sarah's mother came to their aid in her usual fashion. All the regular characters were in play plus a few from previous books and the story moved along well.

Jonetta
Frank and Sarah Malloy are ready to move forward with the adoption of Catherine, the young orphan she’s been raising for almost two years and who views both of them as parents. They run into a major legal obstacle requiring them to first get approval from actor Parnell Vaughn, the man who was married to Catherine’s mother at the time of her birth, even though he isn’t her biological father. When they approach Vaughn, his conniving fiancée asks for money, even though he’s more than willing to ...more
Purple Country Girl (Sandy)
I received a copy of Murder on Union Square from Penguin’s First to Read.

Murder on Union Square is the 21st book in Victoria Thompson’s Gaslight Mystery series featuring Frank and Sarah Malloy. In this entry, the couple is trying to adopt Catherine, a young girl they’ve taken in. She’s already become part of the family and the Malloys want to make it official. Unfortunately, they discover that a legal technicality is standing in their way. Catherine’s mother, Emma Hardy, had an affair and she
Melisa
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is extra special when it’s signed for you by the author ...more
Monnie
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to get into this book, mostly because I haven't read any others in the series (and since there have been more than 20, clearly I've missed a lot) and also because for whatever reason I didn't realize that it's a turn-of-the-century setting. Once I figured that out, though, the dialog and interactions among the characters made total sense; from then on, reading it was quite an enjoyable experience.

At the beginning, New York married couple Sarah (nee Brandt) and Frank Malloy
Robin
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frank and Sarah Malloy are getting ready to legally adopt little Catherine when their attorney tells them there is a problem. Catherine's stepfather, Actor Vaughn Parnell, must relinquish his rights to Catherine. Frank and Sarah visit Parnell at the theater where he is performing. He is willing to sign the paperwork, but his fiancée requests that they pay a fee for his signature. The next day Frank returns to the theater with the money to get Parnell's signature, only to find him bludgeoned to ...more
Kat
Aug 21, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Finally, finally I'm done reading this book! It was torture!
Zero character development and I figured who the murderer was early on while I had to read on and on the same dialogues between Malloy, Sarah, Gino and Meave!
With every installment Meave just gets worse! She and Gino demand things from Malloy and Sarah and it's annoying! Gino wants a motor car and Meave wants favours because Malloy and Sarah didn't include her in something!
Mrs. Thompson can claim that all the fans of the series love
Betty
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, arc, cozy
Frank and Sarah Mallory planned to adopted Catherine in this long-running historical mystery but are stymied by a legal technology. Frank goes to see Catherine's legal father, Parnell Vaughn to sign papers relinquishing his paternal rights. He finds Parnell beaten to death and is accused as the killer. He finds himself arrested and charged with murder. Sarah, Maeve, and Gino worked with Frank to locate the killer in order to save his reputation. Sarah plans to open a maternity center continue ...more
Tammie
When a murder hits close to home, Frank finds himself in an unusual position--the prime suspect.

I enjoyed this one quite a bit. The mystery was ok. It kept me guessing for a little while but I did eventually figure out who did it and how, for both of the deaths, well before Sarah and Frank did. If you've been reading my reviews of this series then you already know that is pretty normal for this series. If the book had not been set in the early 1900s then I would have expected Sarah and Frank
Cynthia Rodrigues
Full & Detailed review: https://cynthology.blogspot.com/2018/...

Murder on Union Square was the 21st book of the Gaslight Mysteries series, and so there was much that I could not relate to. Even so, I plodded through, hoping the mystery would make for enjoyable reading. It didn’t.
Right away I must say that I wasn’t too impressed with the mystery. It didn’t seem solid and airtight, which is the impression that a good murder mystery should leave you with.
While the story starts with the couple
Nattie
Jun 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: incomplete
I discovered this series about two years ago and quickly read all the books that had been published. The series was decent at first, but now reading it feels like a chore. Honestly, there have only been seven really good books out of twenty-one.

One major problem is that only one book per year is released. That was not an issue at first because I read all but a few books back-to-back, but now it is no fun waiting for an entire year to pass before reading the next entry. It's even less fun when
Susan in NC
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, but dragged a bit toward the end, as if the author wasn’t quite sure how to wrap it up. I’ve read every book in this series and enjoyed most of them, and this was no exception.

I thought I knew the murderer and motive, and I was right! Still satisfying and fun - a few characters returned from past mysteries in the series and I didn’t honestly remember them, since these books come out once a year and I don’t remember characters outside of the recurring cast of Sarah, Malloy, Gino, Maeve, Mrs.
Kay
I really liked the first half of the book. The plot was exciting and, uh, a little kinky. The dialogue about Mrs. Hawkes made me giggle. The second half was a bit slow and drawn-out.
Barb in Maryland
Well, for me, this was not one of the better offerings in this series. While I loved catching up with the gang, the mystery bored me into skimming. I didn't care about anyone beyond our group of family and their friends.
Meh...

But I will be back for the next one--if only to have another look-in with Sarah and Frank and all their family and friends whom I've come to care about over the years.
Brenda Freeman
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series and these characters. I've enjoyed watching Sarah and Franks relationship change and their families increase. Frank now asks for Sarah's help on the cases while still wanting to protect her. Waiting for the next Gaslight Mystery.
Carol
This is a creatively, complex and thought provoking
historical fiction cozy mystery. This book takes the
reader in the theater during this time period. You will
meet the cast of well crafted actors and actresses. You
will meet managers and learn of the syndicate of
the acting world at that time.
All the characters are well rounded, well developed,
three dimensional and interesting characters.
Murders, dark secrets, affairs, ghosts, danger, false
arrest, adoption laws, adoption papers all combine
to
Joann
I have followed this series since the beginning and have enjoyed them very much. They are well written and it's been great to see how Frank and Sarah's relationship has developed and how they are now prepaing for the adoption of two of the children. I really skimmed through this book. I think that I am reaching the point that even though I loved this series, I feel I will move on.
Pamela
I cannot believe it is book twenty one already. I can remember when they met, and Sarah was a midwife full time. Mrs Malloy was a dragon back then, and Frank hardly touched her hand. I swear it took ten books before he kissed her. They are married now, and Frank is rich which, at the time, came out of left field. It goes into more detail in this book, and how the money could not be left just to young Catherine. The little family is about to become complete through adoption, but there is a snag. ...more
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DISCLOSURE OF MATERIAL CONNECTION: I have a material connection because I received a review copy for free from Penguin First to Read in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Frank Malloy and his wife Sarah are looking for a killer in the latest Gaslight Mystery by award winning author Victoria Thompson. When Malloy is found with bloody hands over the body of a dead man, the local police figure they have an open and shut case. Malloy, former cop turned PI is not a favorite of the precinct which
Caitlin
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Received free from Penguin First to Read, but my thoughts are my own.

A man dies, and Malloy is the only one with a clear motive to want him dead. To clear his name, he'll have to find the real killer, which seems easy enough for a former police turned P.I.

But motive proves illusive, and then another death happens. People keep lying, and it seems like the truth is impossible.

The lives of most of the characters are complex, though a few were caricatures instead of well fleshed out. They lie,
Sep
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well-told mystery about trouble ensuing when Sarah and Frank get ready to adopt Catherine. It appears that little Catherine, the result of an affair, is the legal daughter of Parnell Vaughn, because he was married to Catherine's biological mother at the time of her birth. Vaughn, an actor, may or may not be willing to sign the release papers is murdered. Frank, who discovers the body, is arrested. Determined to clear Frank's name and keep Catherine's past a secret, Sarah and Frank search for a ...more
Tammy Buchli
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a bit torn on this series, which I've loved since the first book. It seems that, since Sarah and Frank married, they've gotten soft. The early books were excellent, gritty mysteries, but the last several (since the wedding) have been more in the cozy category. I find that, while I like to see Sarah and Frank happy, I miss the struggle of the earlier books.
Mary Robinson
Well written late entry into a series. Having not read the remainder of the series, this title was not at all confusing. The well developed characters and interesting plot will have me seeking out the series next time I'm in the mood for a cozy, historical mystery. would recommend for fans of Rhys Bowen, David Walker and the like.
Linda
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing this very appealing mystery series, Victoria Thompson has Sarah & Frank Malloy once again investigating a murder that hits close to home. As the Malloy's go through the legal process to legally adopt Sarah's ward Catherine (and the reason for Frank's good fortune a few books ago), they are stymied by the fact that Catherine's father of record (at least legally) is the actor Parnell Vaughn. To adopt Catherine, they will need Vaughn to sign a paper allowing it. When they seek out ...more
Rebecca
3.5 STARS

As always, I loved Sarah and Malloy. I could not get enough of Maeve and Gino too; their banter was adorable. Sadly, the mystery was not as engaging as it usually is for this series.
Bebe (Sarah) Brechner
Another consistently excellent story in the Gaslight Mystery series! Thompson delivers thoughtful, suspenseful, and fascinating stories about the lives of Sarah, a midwife, her husband Frank, a former NYC policeman, and their family and friends. Fans have followed Sarah through the years (this is the 21st book in the series!), and are always well rewarded as the characters and stories grow richer and more satisfying with every entry. The period setting is well researched and presented in a well ...more
Madhur Mehta
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
AN exceptional book. Even though, this was my first ever gaslight mystery, I enjoyed it immensely. It was a hell of a ride. This book is a page turner and hooks you from the first page itself. It has amazing characters and unexpected plot twists, humor, and is at the same time an old style murder mystery. I would recommend it to anybody who loves murder mysteries. It is a must read.
Susan Morris
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another light, but enjoyable read in the Gaslight Mystery series. Thompson continues to write stories that do not seem flat or stale, despite quite a few in the series with Sarah Brandt, now Malloy. This one involves a murder as they try to legalize their adoption of Catherine. Thanks to the publisher for an advance reading copy won thru Goodreads. (Own)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 7 6 Sep 26, 2019 08:17AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question N 7 4 Sep 21, 2019 05:00PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question G 6 5 Sep 21, 2019 04:55PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question M 5 4 Sep 21, 2019 02:59AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 4 3 Sep 21, 2019 02:55AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question F 5 4 Sep 20, 2019 08:12PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 4 3 Sep 20, 2019 05:33AM

• Dark Tide Rising (William Monk #24)
  • Four Funerals and Maybe a Wedding (Her Royal Spyness #12)
  • Twenty-One Days (Daniel Pitt, #1)
  • Triple Jeopardy (Daniel Pitt #2)
  • Why Kill the Innocent (Sebastian St. Cyr, #13)
  • Love and Death Among the Cheetahs (Her Royal Spyness #13)
  • Murder at Ochre Court (Gilded Newport Mysteries #6)
  • Death in Focus (Elena Standish #1)
  • An Artless Demise (Lady Darby Mystery #7)
  • Who Slays the Wicked (Sebastian St. Cyr, #14)
  • Scandal Above Stairs (Kat Holloway Mysteries, #2)
  • A Christmas Revelation (Christmas Stories #16)
  • A Cruel Deception (Bess Crawford, #11)
  • A Forgotten Place (Bess Crawford, #10)
  • Uneasy Lies the Crown (Lady Emily #13)
  • A Dangerous Engagement (Amory Ames #6)
  • Lies That Comfort and Betray (A Gilded Age Mystery #2)
  • A Christmas Gathering: A Novel
Victoria Thompson is the USA Today bestselling author of the Edgar and Agatha nominated Gaslight Mystery series and the Sue Grafton Memorial Award nominated Counterfeit Lady Series. She was nominated for an Edgar Award from Mystery Writers of America in 2001, and in 2012 she received a Career Achievement Award in Mystery Writing from RT Magazine. Six of her Gaslight Mysteries were nominated for an ...more

Gaslight Mystery (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Murder on Astor Place (Gaslight Mystery, #1)
  • Murder on St. Mark's Place (Gaslight Mystery, #2)
  • Murder on Gramercy Park (Gaslight Mystery, #3)
  • Murder on Washington Square (Gaslight Mystery, #4)
  • Murder on Mulberry Bend (Gaslight Mystery, #5)
  • Murder on Marble Row (Gaslight Mystery, #6)
  • Murder on Lenox Hill (Gaslight Mystery, #7)
  • Murder in Little Italy (Gaslight Mystery, #8)
  • Murder in Chinatown (Gaslight Mystery, #9)
  • Murder on Bank Street (Gaslight Mystery, #10)