Start by marking “The Angry Tide (The Poldark Saga #7)” as Want to Read:
The Angry Tide (The Poldark Saga #7)

The Angry Tide

(The Poldark Saga #7)

Cornwall 1798-1799

Ein Jahrhundert geht seinem Ende zu. Ross Poldark ist Mitglied des englischen Parlaments geworden und muss seine Zeit zwischen seiner Familie in Cornwall und seinen Pflichten in London aufteilen. Demelza leidet unter der häufigen Trennung. Bevor das neue Jahrhundert anbricht, werden alte Feindschaften von Verlust verdrängt, und eine Tragödie bringt un

Published April 24th 2018 by Pan Books (first published March 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Angry Tide, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Shana
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Angry Tide (The Poldark Saga #7)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Fantastic!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Candi
"Life was such a gamble, and the safest, sturdiest man existed on such a tightrope of circumstance that the merest vibration could throw him. We lived, belonged, felt solidly based, important in the world – and then, flick, and we were nothing."

The Angry Tide was another splendid chapter in the Poldark saga. At number 7, it also marks the beginning of the last half of the series – something I don’t really want to think about too much! I will certainly be very heartsick when this glorious journey
Jaline
In this 7th novel (of a 12-book series), I was pleasantly surprised to find that the fast pace and high energy of this series has not flagged one iota. I found myself thoroughly involved in this portion of the Poldark saga.

This novel takes place in 1798-1799 in Cornwall 14 years after Ross and Demelza were married. Their quality of life, despite its two steps forward and one back pattern, is inching toward more prosperity and they never take it for granted. They also give back in any way they ca
``Laurie Henderson
After reading the latest book in this series "The Four Swans" I decided I needed to take a little break as I found the plot developments dark and depressing.

I began reading this book with a little trepidation as I didn't want to read anything depressing during the holiday season but I'm happy to report that The Angry Tide starts off with much vigor and energy - so much so that I found it difficult to put down.

I couldn't help but notice when reading how much slower time must have passed during th
Karen
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 STARS

[image error]  photo 41c47c8f5ee2901e1f66cfaead81a8b8.jpg

”Seeking perfection, Ross …in life it’s dangerous, for it makes the less than perfect seem less than enough.”

Here I am yet again, at the end of another chapter in the life of Ross Poldark. Tears again flowing freely, lump in throat. I must say that this was the most painful book in the series so far. The title being very aptly named.

[image error]  photo 756639_orig.jpg

”But one or two things have happened, Verity. Oh I know they are small things - small to set beside the
Manisha
Actual review: 4.5

“Perhaps one aspect of arrogance lies in not being willing to accept what life sometimes expects one to accept.”

The Angry Tide is the seventh book in the Poldark series written by Winston Graham, and I must say, it was another great addition to a series that is complex and heartfelt.

This book explores dark undertones in a world where propriety is placed above decency and expectations of others are more important than one’s own life.

There is not much I can say without refe
Sara
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
But now and then you do not have all the control of your feelings
that you should have--and then thoughts and feelings
surge up in you like--like an angry tide.
And it is hard, sometimes it is hard to control the tide.”

This installment of the Poldark saga is, like all the others, stellar writing and storytelling. You have lived with these characters so long by this stage that you know them by heart, and yet there is always something new and exciting and vibrant and alive about them.

There is h
Michele
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
I remember as a college freshman meeting in front of the TV to watch "Days of our Lives." The room was packed with yearning, learning, young girls who just had to see what happened to Hope and Bo and their wonderful romance. That was the ONLY soap opera I ever watched, but I feel the exact same way about these books. I just have to know what happens. I must know, must keep reading and am completely addicted to them.
Only certain writers can transport you to their place in history and their book.
Jeanette
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read the first two books in this series as a revisit to Winston Graham- I have skipped to #7. For a reason. It's because I have remembered all the intervening events and progressions from my 1975 Poldark BBC experience. After trying to read #5 and #6- I knew this was the one in which I wanted to read the peaks of crisis and reveals that I had experienced in the series drama.

Forty years is a big gap of time. But this one brought to mind the absolute, for me, crux of that entire 1975 serie
Helena R-D
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this one in a night and it kept me captivated enough to do so. I still despise the Warleggans hardcore and the fact that they caused a bank collapse to basically be trolls was infuriating. The fact that he still is annoyed at the probable paternity of Valentine is great, since it is almost a balance for him in all his trollishness and desire to hit back at Ross for no real good reason.

I can't say that I wasn't glad that Morwenna's husband bit it and by the hands of the librarian that
Diane Barnes
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Winston Graham has managed to keep this saga fresh, even though this is the seventh of twelve books. His characters are living, breathing people that I've come to know and love. I think his secret is allowing his characters to grow and change with the times. This one takes us to the brink of a new century, the 1800's, with many changes in the villages and towns of Cornwall. There are two deaths, one which had me cheering, another that made me sad. Even evil George Warleggen is experiencing chang ...more
M.L. Brennan
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DAMN.

Winston Graham is not playing around.
Geo Kwnstantinou
''…It is only now that can ever be, at any one moment. And at this moment, now, we are alive… and together. We can’t ask more. There isn’t any more to ask.”
Wow....I think it was the most painful book of the series so far....
Roxy
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At 4.5 stars, Graham still has me begging for more after reading this one. Plenty of intrigue, deaths and near death, lots of tragedy but little comedy.
I keep thinking about each book long after I finish them. The characters are so well fleshed, I look forward to each new day with them. And these people were tough, even and especially the women!
Lori
Piper
Loved it as much or more as the first go around. I was not able to listen to this the first time I read it, but since that time the very talented Oliver J. Hembrough has recorded the remaining books in the series. He brings these stories to life!! Now I await season 4 of the tv adaptation to begin. Squee!!!
QNPoohBear
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ross Poldark is turning 40 and going through a midlife crisis. He's depressed. Even though he's now a respectable man, an MP, a father, part of him longs for the adventures of his youth. George Warleggan's fortunes are on the rise both professionally and personally. Still, both men threaten to destroy their marriages with jealousy, suspicion and anger. Ossie Whitworth's marriage is not what it should be. Why his wife still refuses to perform her conjugal duties and threatens their son's life ins ...more
Tanya
The Poldark circle has been growing wider with each book, but the universe begins to contract here in the seventh installment. What a wild ride! The book takes us through joy, sorrow, anger, vengeance, karma, redemption, love, hate, friendship, loyalty, regret, suspicion, desperation, and growth. We gain further insight into George Warleggan’s character and though it might garner some sympathy, it does not give us anything to like about him. I loved how the author strung us along for several boo ...more
Page 113:
‘My words are my own and my actions are my ministers’. - Charles II

Page 203:
But now and then you do not have all the control of your feelings that you should have – and then thoughts and feelings surge up in you like – like an angry tide. And it is hard, sometimes it is hard to control the tide.’

Page 410:
‘The importance of money is that it should always be treated as of no importance.’

I do love this Poldark series, one never gets bored with the developing plot of each book.

I’ve just hea
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh man! This installment of the Poldark saga does not disappoint. I just have to keep on reading these to see what happens next with my friends in Cornwall. :)

I keep asking my family to read these with me but everyone else is content to watch the series on tv. :( I try to explain how there is sooo much more than Aidan Turner's dark locks and stubble but I don't think they believe me, lol.

Winston Graham's writing brightens my day, even though events in his books might not always be so sunny. I h
Shelli

Ahhh the love affair continues! Them....with each other...and me....with them.
Lauren Stoolfire
The Poldark Saga is one of my favorite series and each book just seems to get better than the last. Even though I know what's coming in The Angry Tide(to a degree anyway) since I've watched the tv series adaptation, it's still a brutal ending. I will say though that just like the tv series I might have cheered at Whitworth's end. I don't usually talk about world building when it comes to historical fiction, but Winston Graham's is some of the best. His character development is as well - everyone ...more
LemonLinda
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 7th book in the Poldark series and it continues in the established context of really great characters. Yes, the book could be enjoyed as a stand alone, but I would think to read the series in its proper order would allow one to get so much more from the story and to be so much more invested in these characters. The feud between the Warleggans and Poldarks continues and takes on new meaning. The relationship between Ross and Demelza has to withstand new pressures and old grievances. A ...more
Barbara Helen Plumb
This is a re-read for me and I enjoyed every word of it. I always find it surprising when revisiting a novel or a movie as the years have past my attitudes to the stories has changed. Different things appeal and others fail to irritate. Even my moral compass seems to have shifted, perhaps I am less judgemental as i have aged. I certainly see things differently as a mother of adult children to when I was the mother of very young children.
And so it was with this book. Elizabeth, (and Ross) who I j
Suz
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, audio
4+ stars

I liked this one the best of the series so far. I can't decide if it's because I'm now getting new content (that I haven't previously seen on the tv show) or because the story really was just that good.

A lot happened in this book, and I'm pretty sure this is where the tv show has gotten to so far. So, new story to come. I'm so excited! :D
Sarah-Vita
This book... not many books have affected me the way this one has. Ross and Demelza, I think, have finally moved past everything. In almost losing Ross, and then losing Elizabeth... And everything in between. By far the best Poldark book I've ever read!!!
Helen White
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Ross and Demelza's marriage is tossed about like a ship in a storm, Dwight and Caroline fair no better, Morwenna finally has a change of fortune and Elizabeth .... ooooo Elizabeth
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Angry Tide (The Poldark Saga #7), Winston Graham
Deb
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hooked on Poldark. Again.
(Goldilocks Reads) Jenna Vahue
Only true literary love allows someone to read a 600 page book in four days. It is true dedication that would make someone reach that level of madness. I cannot get enough of my Poldark babies and I knew I had to speed read Angry Tide before the new season premiered on PBS on September 30th. I enjoyed every chapter (except for dull Parliament politics and Morwenna's plight) and could not put the book down. This series tugs me in every direction and I'm grateful for these characters. Hopefully I ...more
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Synopsis and Major Events-SPOILERS! 8 203 Aug 01, 2018 11:37AM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Monk Adderly 22 154 Sep 25, 2017 07:20AM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Favorites 10 76 May 23, 2017 03:26AM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Book vs. Series (1975) 3 81 Mar 19, 2016 12:14PM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Reviews 4 51 Jan 16, 2016 11:57AM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: New characters introduced in this book 1 43 Jan 13, 2016 08:22AM

• The World of Poldark
  • MatildaJayne: Our Great Canal Boat Journey
  • The Bourne Evolution (Jason Bourne, #15)
  • The Menace Of Blood
  • Cashelmara
  • Royal Renegades
  • Hurt/Comfort
  • Rulerwork Quilting Idea Book: 59 Outline Designs to Fill with Free-Motion Quilting, Tips for Longarm and Domestic Machines
  • The Courage to Be Creative: How to Believe in Yourself, Your Dreams and Ideas, and Your Creative Career Path
  • Letters from Everest: A First-Hand Account From the Epic First Ascent (unabridged)
  • Cleopatra: A Biography
  • Shed No Tears (Cat Kinsella #3)
  • Your Perfect Right: Assertiveness and Equality in Your Life and Relationships
  • Quilts! Quilts!! Quilts!!!: The Complete Guide to Quiltmaking
  • Fat, Fifty & F***Ed!
  • Sidotut (Järjen ja tunteen tarinoita #4)
  • The Heights
  • Two in Torquay
Winston Graham was the author of forty novels. His books have been widely translated and the Poldark series has been developed into two television series, shown in 22 countries. Six of Winston Graham's books have been filmed for the big screen, the most notable being Marnie, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Winston Graham was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature (FRSL) and in 1983 was invested ...more

The Poldark Saga (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Ross Poldark (Poldark #1)
  • Demelza (Poldark, #2)
  • Jeremy Poldark (Poldark, #3)
  • Warleggan (Poldark, #4)
  • The Black Moon (Poldark, #5)
  • The Four Swans (Poldark, #6)
  • The Stranger from the Sea (Poldark, #8)
  • The Miller's Dance (Poldark, #9)
  • The Loving Cup (Poldark, #10)
  • The Twisted Sword (Poldark, #11)

News & Interviews

Award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa’s highly anticipated new book, Once I Was You: A Memoir of Love and Hate in a Torn America, arrives...
“The past is over, gone. What is to come doesn't exist yet. That's tomorrow! It's only now that can ever be, at any moment. And at this moment, now, we are alive--and together. We can't ask more. There isn't any more to ask.” 9 likes
“You must not face it. Because it is a – certainty it has to be forgotten. One cannot – must not – fear a certainty. All we know is this moment, and this moment, Ross, we are alive! We are. We are. The past is over, gone. What is to come doesn’t exist yet. That’s tomorrow! It’s only now that can ever be, at any one moment. And at this moment, now, we are alive – and together. We can’t ask more. There isn’t any more to ask.” 4 likes