Start by marking “Evans Above (Constable Evans, #1)” as Want to Read:
Evans Above (Constable Evans, #1)

Evans Above

(Constable Evans #1)

Constable Evan Evans is new in Welsh village of Llanfair. Betsy, lusty busty barmaid, vies for his favors with sweet teacher Bronwen. Teen Dilys begs him for a dance, then vanishes.

Child molester, flasher, and prisoners released early, are on the loose. Who pushed two men off Snowdon mountains? And who vandalized Mrs Powell-Jones' prized tomatoes?
Published December 1998 by Berkley Prime Crime Penguin Putnam (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Evans Above, please sign up.
Sylvia Dugan The more I read, the more I find myself agreeing with your assessment. Seems like a poor imitation of the M.C. Beaton books unfortunately.

Kirsten
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable mystery. Very reminiscent of Hamish Macbeth (except the people aren't nearly as silly). I guess maybe people are just a little edgier in North Wales. I really enjoyed this. It has a good meaty mystery as well as delightful characters and setting. Should think of no less from the lady who brought us Lady Georgiana.
C.
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I knew “Evans Above”, 1997, would be the syrupy type but I love exploring Wales and run the only challenge accommodating all Celtic countries: “Celtic Coasts”. Although I found no resemblance, comparisons to “Hamish Macbeth” scared me. I hated his début so much, a tentative glance at the sequel averted my first ever ‘did not finish’! With five instead of ten stars to express shades of grey, I think of other books that received two stars and know this one is better.

Evan is very likeable and all s
Judy
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When two men are found dead on Snowdon, young village policeman Evan Evans suspects foul play, but his superiors blame mountaineering accidents. Evan sets out to investigate. The mystery itself is interesting and not too cosy, but the many lovingly-observed details of life in a village in north Wales do give a warm feel, and there is a lot of humour along the way.

For instance, the hunky Evan is always trying to avoid endless meals cooked by his motherly landlady. He also has romantic troubles,
Kimberly
2.5 Stars

Ahh, who doesn't like visiting new places in a cozy mystery book? I love to, especially when they take me to cute little villages and hamlets like Llanfair. This was my first time reading a book by this author and though I've seen some other books written by her I wasn't too familiar with her work.

Lucky me this one was chosen as one of the 4 monthly group reads in one of my GoodReads groups. Now while I'm glad that I gave a new author a try (I've been trying to read a lot of new to me
Jonathan
Let me start off by saying that Rhys Bowen is hands down the best historical mystery author I've ever read. She manages to combine true events and her characters so well that you wonder if her characters couldn't have really been at these events. However, I've finished her Royal Spyness series (though I have the ARC for the next one sitting on my Nook!) and her Molly Murphy series, so that left me with only one more series to read; the Constable Evan Evans mystery series. I can say that, though ...more
Kathy Davie
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
The first in the mystery series, Constable Evans, Evans Above feels like a cross between the village life of Agatha Christie with the camaraderie between Inspector Jury and Divisional Commander Brian Macalvie in Martha Grimes' Richard Jury series. Evans has left big-city crime behind for the peace and tranquility of village life in Wales and has no desire to become entangled with any woman. Ahh, to dream for so little...and not get it. Evans soon becomes entangled. With a series of unexplained m ...more
Natasha M.
While the Her Royal Spyness have a sort of sweeping tongue-in-cheek and yes, ridiculous but still cutely charming in its own right story lines (who can say no to Darcy O'Mara?) I'd say the Constable Evans series (though this is the first one I've read) is a little bit more grounded rather than theatrical.

Taking place in modern day Wales (oh Welsh words, I don't even know where to start with you lot) we get a look at the idyllic village life. There's mt. Snowdon, there's a town that knows everyt
Paula
Jul 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime, series
Picked this one up as a bookswap, as I'm always on the lookout for first books of new series so I can try stuff out...

There's a comment on the cover of Evans Above that likens the series to the Hamish Macbeth novels of MC Beaton and that should have told me everything I needed to know about this one. Like the aforementioned novels, Evans Above is about a big-city police officer coming to a small village, this time in the heart of Snowdonia.

The eponymous Evans becomes involved in a mystery when t
Dagny
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bowen-rhys
This is the first in Bowen's series featuring Evan Evans, constable of Llanfair, Wales. In this novel we meet the residents of Llanfair, many of whom are named Evans and distinguished by such names as Evans-the-Meat, Evans-the-Milk, Evans-the-Post, and Evans-the-Law. We are introduced to two of the local women who are interested in Evans-the-Law and his mothering landlady who would like to set him up with her granddaughter. The mystery, the deaths of two hikers on the mountain, is intriguing and ...more
The Bookish Hooker
This was my first time reading Rhys Bowen, and I couldn't have been more impressed. The first in a series follows Constable Evan Evans as he maneuvers through small village life in Wales. Evans Above is a wonderful cozy mystery with a interesting plot and well fleshed out characters that give this book the funny, quirky small town feel that I love about the cozy mystery genre.
Debbie
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: shop
I normally do not read off shore based books, but I picked this up at a booksale and I really did enjoy it. I like that Ms. Bowen writes in the local dialect. I will be moving on in this series.
An Odd1
Mar 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Wales is a vacation, however eerie, misty. First book has serious elements. Evan is nice; I look forward to hanging around with him. He's naive like Chesney aka Beaton's Hamish but stays out of other beds. Unknown peeping creeps and flashbacks annoy. Llanfair pub has likable and fun folk.

Stew, Jimmy, "one of Danny's close friends in their little gang from hut 29 .. must have sent the postcard" p 2, "Tommy" asks his way politely "in his cheerful cockney .. looking for the Everest Inn" p 3. Manag
Lori
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another Audible sale purchase that proved worth my time. Rhys Bowen is loved by many and while I've read her before, her subject matter can be a bit too lighthearted for me to stay invested, but not so with this one. Constable Evans is new to the Welsh village and dealing with both the up and downsides of a small, close-knit community can be a bit of a challenge. Very similar to the Hamish Macbeth series, I enjoyed this one much more than the few Hamish titles I've read.

This easily falls into th
Stacie  Haden
Love the Welsh village setting. Decent start to the series. I'll try another.
Natalie [genreneutralreader]
This cozy mystery just didn’t hold my interest. I have Read Rhys Bowen before and enjoyed her style, so I’m not sure why this one didn’t work for me. At lest it was short enough to finish in a day.
Elaine Cook
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Not a rave but it was good enough. Might look for more in the series.
Laurel Hicks
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun mystery.
Hal
Dec 19, 2013 rated it liked it
This is the initial volume in the Constable Evans series. I had previously read "Evan Help Us," which I liked just enough to look into this book.

After reading these two cozy mysteries, I find that Rhys Bowen seems to need a few chapters to warm up. I think she relies a little too much on an unlikely coincidence in this book, which to me is a sign of weak writing. I don't want to detail the coincidence here, to avoid spoiling the story for those who have not finished the book.

More importantly, I
Lillian Reeves
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
I've read all of MC Beaton's books and I was looking for a new series. I started a few series, but this was the one book among the ones I started that I finished. The story Is set in Wales and sets up similarly to the Hamish Macbeth stories. Small town, many characters, each interested in what Evan Evans, the local constable, is getting up to. The book fell short, though, in the department of character development. Evan is a shallow character and doesn't really appear to care about the people of ...more
kari
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Fun mystery, start of a series, but I knew that going in.
Evan Evans is the constable of a small Welsh village. There is lots of bits about the locals and how the larger police force thinks a village copper should leave the detecting to the bigger department, but the mystery is local and Evan is in the thick of it.
I've read Rhys Bowen's Her Royal Spyness series and really enjoyed it so thought I'd see what else she has to offer and I was not disappointed.
The mystery is great. The location is goo
Erin
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
I've read most of these, b/c my library has them. And I like the information about Welsh culture b/c I had a friend who was Welsh. I, also, like that I wasn't always able to solve the mystery/murder. But the prejudices of the different pastors (and church goers) in the small village don't betray Christians in a good way. And it annoyed me b/c it didn't seem relevant to the story, but was thrown in to poke fun of Christian beliefs.
Jeannine Stewart
Feb 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Enjoyable cozy about a young constable, Evan Evans, in a small village in Wales. Interesting characters, setting and plot. Not sure that I would ever be able to understand, much less speak, the Welsh language but the book gives great insight into a country and tradition I knew very little about. Definitely will read more in this series.
Ruth Balf
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
It was a lovely, light read. I just smiled through it a lot. Such innocent characters in a mythical welsh village. What's not to like?
Heike
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Tödliches Idyll ermittelt der sympathische Dorfpolizist Evan Evans in gleich drei Morden, die sich im Berg beim walisischen Dorf Llanfair ereignen.

Schon im Prolog bekommen wir einen netten Einblick in das Dorf und seine leicht skurrilen Bewohner. Die Beschreibungen des Dorfes und des Berges sind sehr gut gelungen, man sieht alles richtiggehend vor sich. Die Bewohner sind ebenfalls unterhaltsam, vom brieflesenden Briefträger bis hin zum cholerischen Metzger. Da die meisten Nachnamen wie Evans
Ryan
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Evans Above is the first in a series of police procedurals type murder mysteries. Except is not as griity as most are, this one is is set in Wales, in a small village. Evan Evans, a top notch police detective, is relocated as Constable in a small village, where he spends his days mostly preoccupiedduties of a small town. Instead of Solving murders and looking for killer, his time consists of finding out who ruined the local ministers' wive's prize-winning vegetables, among other duties. Everythi
Tamara Murphy
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brian and I took a couple of days to get away in October, and I needed the most cozy of reading to accompany us. Rhys Bowen's Constable Evans series was the perfect fit. I read the first three books in the series in two days! The only thing that distracted me from the pleasant Welsh community and their idyllic Welsh village (suffering a disproportionately large number of suspicious deaths!) was trying to imagine who the BBC would cast as Constable Evans in a televised version of the series.

Here'
Hortensia13
Constable Evan Evans liebt die Berge und das kleine walisische Dorf Llanfair, in dem er der Dorfpolizist ist. Doch als zwei Touristen in den Bergen verunglücken, ist nichts mehr was es war. Evans hat so ein Bauchgefühl: Steckt hinter dem Unglück ein heimtückischer Mord? Er nimmt auf eigene Faust seine Ermittlungen auf, unterstützt durch die eigensinnigen und kauzigen Bewohner von Llanfair.
Die beste Beschreibung für dieses Buches ist ein Heimatkrimi. Die walisische Art und Eigentümlichkeiten, Spr
Deanna
Oct 20, 2017 added it
Instead of rating this, I’ll just say that reading this was, for me, like the 2 ships passing in the night. One ship the book, the other me the reader.

I can’t remember feeling so disconnected from a book. And I really think it may be me, thus no stars. I can’t even dredge up specific pros and cons. It’s like the characters were shadow characters and the story a shadow plot. They just didn’t reach me one way or the other. That’s a reading letdown of course, but I even feel oddly disconnected fro
Annette
This was a fairly good murder mystery. It put me in mind of M. C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth. Very similar characteristics. Excellent story line with fair to middling characters. Looking forward to the next book in this series to see where the author takes the character Evan Evans. The Welsh town of Llanfair is filled with Evanses, Evan-the Post, Evan-the-Butcher, Evan-the-Meat, Evan-the-Milk, ect. This is where Constable Evan Evans returns to escape the violence of the city. But his idyllic settin ...more
Kay
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Meeting Evan Evans and his village in northwestern Wales of course calls up Hamish Macbeth and his northwestern Scottish village--the two are quite different and both are true detectives who keep following up on clues and talking to the locals until he gets to the bottom of murder and old train robbery. Hamish is adorable as a small-town guy who enjoys the easy life with his pets and his sheep, courts ladies who are mad about him without ever settling on one, and is kind to the people touched by ...more
  • The Body In The Transept (Dorothy Martin, #1)
  • Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1)
  • Murder On Monday
  • Alpine for You (Passport to Peril, #1)
  • The Body in the Belfry (Faith Fairchild, #1)
  • Death of a Perfect Wife (Hamish Macbeth, #4)
  • Death on a Silver Tray (Beau Brummell, #1)
  • Snobbery With Violence (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1)
  • Family Skeletons (Torie O'Shea, #1)
  • The Cold Light of Mourning (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #1)
  • Sweet Revenge (A Lady Arianna Regency Mystery #1)
  • The Tale of Hill Top Farm (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #1)
  • The Young Widow (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries #1)
  • Grace Under Pressure (Manor House Mystery, #1)
  • The Body on the Beach (Fethering, #1)
  • Murder on the Rocks (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #1)
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I have recently published two internationally bestselling WWII novels, one of them a #1 Kindle bestseller, the other selling almost half a million copies to date.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in th

Constable Evans (10 books)
  • Evan Help Us (Constable Evans, #2)
  • Evanly Choirs  (Constable Evans, #3)
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • Evan Can Wait (Constable Evans, #5)
  • Evans to Betsy (Constable Evans, #6)
  • Evan Only Knows (Constable Evans, #7)
  • Evan's Gate (Constable Evans, #8)
  • Evan Blessed (Constable Evans, #9)
  • Evanly Bodies (Constable Evans, #10)
“looked up. “Maybe that will jog someone’s memory and make them come” 0 likes