Start by marking “Her Royal Spyness (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Her Royal Spyness (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #1)

Her Royal Spyness

(Royal Spyness #1)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  25,575 ratings  ·  2,707 reviews
Georgie, aka Lady Victoria Georgiana Charlotte Eugenie, cousin of King George V of England, is penniless and trying to survive on her own as an ordinary person in London in 1932.

So far she has managed to light a fire and boil an egg... She's gate-crashed a wedding... She's making money by secretly cleaning houses... And she's been asked to spy for Her Majesty the Queen.

Eve
Published July 3rd 2007 by Berkley Publishing Group (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Her Royal Spyness, please sign up.
Allison I recommend reading them in order. The relationships build as the series progresses. However each book is a complete story that introduces all the…moreI recommend reading them in order. The relationships build as the series progresses. However each book is a complete story that introduces all the necessary characters, so it's probably okay if you don't.(less)
Amanda Weaver It was published as an "adult"book but no reason YA couldn't read it

·  25,575 ratings  ·  2,707 reviews

Vinaya
Jan 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Let's say one of your friends sets you up on a blind date with a guy you know nothing about. You go to the restaurant to meet him, and you're filled with trepidation because the whole experiment could go either way. You've heard really good things about him from your friend, but for all you know, she could just be biased, or your tastes may not match.

You get to the restaurant, you find your blind date, and he's not bad to look at. In fact, he's quite appealing. You chat casually over cocktails
Phrynne
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4000-books
I am not a total cosy fan but this book starts the series with a very clever premise. Set in the 1930s in the UK, Georgie is 34th in line to the throne. She actually has afternoon teas with the Queen in Buckingham Palace which is just wonderful!

There is not a lot of spying going on in this book despite the title. The Queen does send Georgie to a weekend house party to spy on her son and Wallis Simpson, but that part is very small. Most of the book revolves around a dead body in a bath and repea
Felicia
Sep 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Oh good, a new shelf: "Vaginal-Mystery"! Bored of the corsets, there are only so many virgins to read about who get pregnant in the Epilogue, you know?
This is the start of a new fetish: Lady mysteries. I've listed a few before, Deanna Raybourn being my fave, so I downloaded the firsts to a few other series.
This one I really enjoyed although it was very fluffy. It was mainly the main character that made it engaging, Georgie is 34th in line to the throne, so it was an interesting new angle, her be
Ingie
Review written January 1, 2016

4.2 Stars - Fun, fun, fun... Yes, amusing fun and a surprising good mystery. - I'm on for more!

I've been listening to the 8 hrs audiobook very well narrated by Katherine Kellgren. Her Royal Spyness is the first serial part (of 10 so far) in the mostly happy reviewed 'Her Royal Spyness' series (labeled in the cozy-mystery genre).

description description description description description

A great start to a new audiobook year.

*******************************************

« Georgie, aka Lady Victoria Georgiana Charlotte Eug
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read2017, own, audiobook
Book 3 of my recent audiobook listening binge! I've owned this in Audible for a while now.

I'm not sure what my experience reading the print of this would be, but in audio, it is great fun. The narrator, Katherine Kellgren, does a fabulous job with voices for different characters, which elevates the whole thing.

The basic story is that Georgie, 34th in line to the throne of England, is trying to make a living after being cut off by her brother. Along the way a dead body shows up in her bathtub an
Carolyn
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of historical cosy mysteries
This is the first novel in a series set in the Britain of the 1930s featuring Lady Victoria Georgiana Charlotte Eugenie, aka Georgie. Thirty fourth in line for the British throne and daughter of a Scottish Duke and an English actress, she has failed to find a suitable husband during her coming out season and is bored of lingering like an unwanted guest in the family estate, cold and draughty Castle Rannoch in the wilds of Scotland. Her brother the current Duke of Glen Garry and Rannoch (known as ...more
Susan
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries, 2013
An excellent read! It was a fun story and I liked the descriptions of things from that time period. I felt like I was there in 1930s London. The characters were likeable too, especially Georgie. A very resourceful girl with nine lives :) This story reminded me of Agatha Christie's Tommy and Tuppence stories, even though those take place a decade earlier than this one.

I am looking forward to starting the next in the series. This is a wonderful escape read and I enjoyed every minute of it.
Zyra
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
a light read. mystery was way too easy. i guessed it right away at the first hint.
london in 1932. i liked that i got to read about royals. Georgina's character was smart, easygoing and fun to read. I really liked the author's writing style. i was hoping for a laugh out loud read. though it was highly entertaining with amusing lines. i didn't find it that funny.
Idarah
Apr 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Trying to write this review without using the cliché words “cute” and “cozy” is so hard, because it was! It’s cozy in the way only the British royal family can be. Picture the lovely Helen Mirren sitting in a clearing at Balmoral, and that prancing deer—the epitome of visceral restraint! That’s this book.

At its center, penniless Lady Georgiana, 34th in line to the throne, is looking to strike out on her own, and earn a living—an unheard of endeavor for someone with royal blood in the 1930s. Why
John Frankham
May 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime-detective
Oh, dear!

Another female 1930s light crime novel. Badly written by another English authoress living in the USA. On a bandwagon.

Some fun, a not bad, if obvious, denouement.

If you want to read it, skim-read it quickly and it will be fairly enjoyable.

Badly paced, weak stereotypical characters, full of anachronistic words and phrases, and behaviours.

"London 1932. Narrator Lady Victoria Georgiana Charlotte Eugenie, 34th in line for the throne, is flat broke. She bolted from Scotland -- and engagement
Dagny
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bowen-rhys
I could not put this book down! Her Royal Spyness is the first book in Rhys Bowen's Royal Spyness series and I definitely plan to continue reading the series.

Even though I'm a big fan of Bowen's other two mystery series, Evan Evans and Molly Murphy, I hesitated to read this one since I'm not a big fan of books featuring aristocrats. Selah convinced me to give the first book a try when she set me straight about Georgie's heritage. Lady Victoria Georgiana Charlotte Eugenie's royal heritage is from
Jacob Proffitt
Jan 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
While there are laugh-out-loud moments (mostly early in the book), there are enough detractions that I can't really recommend the book. The heroine is a delight but the mystery is a bit thin (so it's good it didn't really start until about halfway through the book) and some of the character actions are a little too driven by story purposes and authorial manipulation rather than flowing out of character for my taste. Still, it was entertaining enough that I stayed up late to finish it.
Kathryn
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well that was a fast listen, it was "such fun"! Loved the English take and the mystery which was an easy enough mystery. I look forward to the next in the series once I've had a break.
Tracey
I truly thought I was going to be a fan of "Lady Victoria Georgiana Charlotte Eugenie, 34th in line for the throne". The tone started out fun, and funny: "The moan of the wind through the vast chimneys, coupled with the tartan wallpaper in the loo, had the effect of producing almost instant depression or even insanity"… "dances, parties, and other sporting events"… Unfortunately, I ended up disliking Lady VGCE rather a lot, and not being too fond of Rhys Bowen's writing, either.

He evidenced in
Hannah
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In an industry absolutely saturated with generic career-related cozy mysteries, Her Royal Spyness is a wonderful breath of fresh air. The lovely purple cover and interesting title caught my eye while I was at the library, and I picked it up hoping to be entertained. And entertained I was. From the fascinating historical settings and whimsical humour to the cast of characters, this first installment of Rhys Bowen's new Royal Spyness series delivered a great deal of fun.

Lady Georgiana Rannoch of t
Ruth
Feb 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Lady Georgiana is thirty-fourth in line to the English throne, but the distinction of being a royal, albeit a minor one, hasn't kept money woes at bay during the Depression. However, since royals - no matter how minor - aren't supposed to get "common" jobs, Georgiana's only option, according to the Queen, is marriage to the highly repulsive Prince Siegfried. Georgiana resolves to support herself, even if she has to do it clandestinely. And so she decides to work as a maid (horrors!). When a blac ...more
Carolyn F.
Cute book. I figured out who did it pretty early. It's kind of funny how they had so many cans of beans left at the London home. Also wouldn't the Queen know that she needs a little cash to survive? 3-1/2 out of 5 stars.
Wanda
***2018 Summer of Spies***

What an absolutely charming beginning to a series! Lady Victoria Georgiana Charlotte Eugenie is a poverty-stricken gentlewoman, 34th in the line of succession to the throne, trying to keep up appearances with little to no income. This author makes the most of the fascination with the Royal family and the deportment of Queen Victoria and her successors. For example:

”The sight of one female person slinking across the forecourt on foot would definitely have my esteemed r
Lauren
Her Royal Spyness
4 Stars

Lady Victoria Georgina Charlotte Eugenie is 34th in line to the British throne. Unfortunately, she is also penniless and about to be married off to a pompous Romanian prince. To avoid this dreaded future, Georgie escapes to London where things go from bad to worse after she discovers the body of an arrogant Frenchman in her bathtub, and her brother, the Duke, is arrested for murder. Will Georgie be able to discover the real killer before it is too late?

A light hearted, ch
Suzy
I was completely predisposed to like this first in Her Royal Spyness cozy mystery series, and like it I did. It's just what I needed as a break from the more serious books I've been reading lately. Nothing taxing, you'll likely figure out the whodunit pretty early, but so fun to read! Written with wonderful humor, spunky energy and a light touch, with an outstanding audio performance by the great, unfortunately late, Katherine Kellgren. My only disappointment is that the audiobooks are not avail ...more
Natalia  Ramlal
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book!A great start to the series and I can't wait to continue on with it.
Anmiryam
So very silly, so cliched, so predictable, and so very, very enjoyable.
The perfect diversion while knitting a last-minute Christmas present -- I only get the urge to knit presents at the last possible minute, so lightweight listening has been a wonderful discovery to ease the self-inflicted pain.

Don't let the three star rating fool you -- I did like this, but it is formulaic, so it's hard to say it's amazing. It's pleasant and I for one, have room in my life for pleasant reads. Let's just say it
Lyn
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Rhys Bowen. I love Lady Georgiana Rannoch. Life has dealt her many blows-her parents divorce, her father ignring his children and land and then genteel poverty. But Georgie doesn't just give in. She wants a life of her own and that means leaving the castle where her sister in law makes life miserable for her. She goes to the London house and learns how to take care of herself like making a cuppa. And she meets a man she shouldn't fall in love with-:-) Darcy O'Mara, a dashin ...more
Athena
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
A Very Light read, a fish-out-of-water murder mystery set in 1930's England. This was an ok, sometimes humorous story that went exactly where it appeared to be going but made up for formula with a bit of jauntiness.

A decent airplane read, quickly gotten through and mostly forgettable.
Helen
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This audio book is laugh-out-loud fun. My husband enjoyed it as much as I did during an eight hour road trip. It isn't exactly a heavy duty mystery, but the narrator, Katherine Kellgren, is fantastic.
The Lit Bitch
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
People. It finally happened.

I have had gifted Her Royal Spyness by my mom at least 4 times. Yes I have 4 copies of this book on my book shelf at any given time. I have read a number of Bowen’s books and I comment every single time about how I haven’t read this series.

I recently read Four Weddings and Maybe a Funeral…..which was the last book in the series. Talk about late to the party. I thought it was a great read but obviously I was missing a huge back story between Darcy and Georgie. I vowed
Lisa
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: just-for-fun
An enjoyable cosy mystery set in 1930's London.
Our heroine Georgie is 34th in line to the throne but she has no money and spends much of the story looking for a way to support herself that doesn't involve marriage.
In the midst of this she finds a body in her bathtub and realises someone is trying to kill her too...and she finds time for a bit of spying for the queen!
I did like this one but Georgie wasn't a very good detective and some of the scenes were a bit cringeworthy and superficial.
I like
Melissa Railey
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was sold on these books by the name alone. And it's that kind of humor that just really makes this book. One of those little things that I always enjoy is a good little cozy mystery and this is the definition of a cozy. Georgie is a terrific character. She's fun, hilarious and caring. Plus, she thinks pretty quickly on her toes. Rhys Bowen created terrific side characters in Belinda, Georgie's non-royal grandfather, her mother, and some insignificant little Irishman named Darcy. ;) The series ...more
Melissa McShane
Very cute story. It took a while to get started, and I can see why--Bowen had a lot of things to establish so she could bring them up later, when the actual mystery began. I liked the characters, the mystery was a little light-weight, and I might read some of the others in the series, but in general there wasn't much to this book.
Amy
Jul 23, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was probably a mediocre book that combined with a great audiobook narrator became quite a fun listen. Parts were silly, parts were clever, some characters interesting, some dull. Averaging out to an entertaining but unremarkable story. I plan to listen to more in the series.

• Silent on the Moor (Lady Julia Grey, #3)
  • A Poisoned Season (Lady Emily, #2)
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
  • Death Comes to the Village (Kurland St. Mary Mystery, #1)
  • The Doublet Affair (Ursula Blanchard, #2)
  • An Act of Villainy (Amory Ames Mystery #5)
  • Murder on Gramercy Park (Gaslight Mystery, #3)
  • When Gods Die (Sebastian St. Cyr, #2)
  • The Tale of Briar Bank (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #5)
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I have recently published two internationally bestselling WWII novels, one of them a #1 Kindle bestseller, the other selling almost half a million copies to date.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in th

Royal Spyness (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2)
  • Royal Flush (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #3)
  • Royal Blood (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #4)
  • Naughty in Nice (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #5)
  • The Twelve Clues of Christmas (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #6)
  • Heirs and Graces (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #7)
  • Queen of Hearts (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #8)
  • Malice at the Palace (Her Royal Spyness, #9)
  • Crowned and Dangerous (Her Royal Spyness, #10)
  • On Her Majesty's Frightfully Secret Service (Her Royal Spyness, #11)
“They don't hang dukes, darling. He'd be let off by reason of insanity. Everyone knows the upper classes are batty.” 29 likes
“The words hot, lot, and got were not apart of a ladies vocabulary.” 5 likes