Start by marking “Blended” as Want to Read:
Blended

Blended

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  6,967 ratings  ·  1,169 reviews
"You’re so exotic!” “You look so unusual.” “But what are you really?”

Eleven-year-old Isabella is used to these kinds of comments - her father is black, her mother is white - but that doesn't mean she likes them. And now that her parents are divorced (and getting along WORSE than ever), Isabella feels more like a push-me-pull-me toy.

One week she’s Isabella with her dad, his
Published October 30th 2018 by Atheneum/Caitlyn Dlouhy Books

To ask other readers questions about Blended, please sign up.
Jamie Gregory I just don't think it was developed at all. It was a very traumatic scene, and then the book just ends. I really liked how this book dealt with family…moreI just don't think it was developed at all. It was a very traumatic scene, and then the book just ends. I really liked how this book dealt with family issues, but the two violent racist scenes should have been more fully developed to bring more of an impact to the character and the story.(less)

·  6,967 ratings  ·  1,169 reviews

Start your review of Blended
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars

So, DO NOT LET COVERS DECEIVE YOU! This has such a cute cover that it leads you to believe it's a light and fun book. It's not. This book had some serious discussion topics in it from divorce, to racism, to police involved shootings.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed this book. Draper is an amazing writer. But.... this was essentially the middle grade The Hate U Give. I think it's perfect for that parent or adult who wants to discuss these topics with their preteens who may not be re
Lindsay Nixon
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wanted to love this book, but it fell short for me. I also tried (very hard!) not to compare it to The Hate You Give, but even when I put that book completely out of my head I still felt this was a 2-star book.

I do applaud Draper for taking on the subject matters here ("blended" refers to being biracial *and* having divorced parents). However, it proved to be too much subject/topic for one book. The "issues" in the storylines "competed" making both issues shallow/unfinished/undone.

As a posit
Dee Dee G
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I need an extra 5 stars. This book just about gave me a heart attack towards the end. It has everything in it from divorce, race to police brutality. A must read for young and older.
Ali
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is hands down a book that I will immediately be recommending to my students. This is I think, the first book I have read where the main character looks like me. Isabella is mixed. Her dad is Black and her mom is White. WHAT?! ME TOO!

This was so emotional to read because as Isabella is discovering where she belongs in the world after her parent's divorce, she begins to experience all the ups and downs of growing up and being Black. As she moves every week between her mom and dad's hous
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

Trigger warning: Arguments before divorce. Up till the point I read.

DNF

I heard about this book through GR. I was actually semi-excited to read this. It sounded cute but important. Unfortunately I did not enjoy this.

I liked the beginning! It was interesting and I enjoyed the music talk. After some time I felt that the dialogue was forced. It could've been the situation between her parents, but I just couldn't get into it. Thus I left it.

I do still recommend. I sincerely believe this
Alexa L
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just read this entire book on my phone in one sitting in a hotel room in Japan while my husband snores next to me. It’s phenomenal. Obviously Sharon Draper is a queen, but this book was all kinds of epic. Emotion jumps off the page, and she mentions my favorite ice cream in the world, Graeters, and Jason Reynolds, who is one of the best people in the world. Don’t miss it this fall, thanks to Edelweiss for the early copy!
Leigh Anne
I really liked how Draper addressed important topics and brought them down to a middle grade level. With that being said, I think there too many important topics to give each one the attention they deserved.
Jesseca Evans
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sheila
Oct 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
At first I was excited to read this book, as I am a big fan of Sharon M. Draper’s past bestsellers: Tears of a Tiger, Forged by Fire, Out of My Mind, etc. But Blended turned out to be a big disappointment.

There was just too much crammed into a book that just meandered along. There was unexplained drama between Izzy’s parents - why do they hate each other, exactly? - that made the whole divorced parents angst thing seem ungrounded. Then there was Izzy herself, whose voice was not fully realized
Susan
As an adult reader, I felt there were too many "issues", but I don't think that will deter the intended audience for this book. What I thought was the strength of this story was the way Draper writes the tug of war feelings Isabella struggles with pertaining the separation/divorce/remarriage of her parents.

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Isabella is torn; her mom is white and her dad is black, and they have gotten divorced, leaving Isabella at her mom's one week and her dad's the next. Isabella is more than just being caught between two homes, though. She is caught between two cultures. What is her place? How can she react when her black friend is victimized? As a fellow black person? Or a white person?

Blended is a book that will deeply resonate with children today. Sharon Draper takes on issues of race that all children confron
Heidi Burkhart
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Draper just writes one outstanding book after another. I have followed her for years and bought all of her books when I was a librarian. This book is just perfect for middle school students. Top notch!
✨ livia ✨
My Rating: 4.5 stars, rounded down

Isabella is mixed. Her father is Black, and her mother is white. When her parents get a divorce, having to go from house to house every week just seems like a huge hassle, especially so since she doesn't even know what she feels like anymore. Is she Black? Is she white? Is she her mom's daughter, or her dad's kid? Isabella knows one thing: she just feels Blended.

My Breakdown:

- Gosh, I loved this book! As a child who has divorced parents and previously had
⚓Its me Irina the READER⚓
I think this book is Amazing. But honestly quite harsh!! No doubt I still love it.
I felt as if Isabella is just like me. My mom is white and my dad is African-American. Although my parents are still totally in love. :)
Krista
Jul 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
This middle grade book deals with a LOT of stuff...divorced parents who constantly fight, new step parents, mixed race marriage, race issues at school, police brutality, identity, and more. I thought there was a lot that was well done. I loved the music aspect. Loved the friendships. Love the 6th grade teachers talking about real issues. I just think maybe it tried to deal with too much and some issues felt kind of dropped. Overall, though, I really enjoyed listening to this audiobook read by th ...more
Josh
It pains me to give a low rating to a book by the wonderful Sharon Draper, who has written so many good stories for kids and teens. The premise of this book seemed relevant for so many kids who deal with divorce and split custody arrangements, as well as identity struggles from being biracial, that I was looking forward to reading it and sharing it with the young people in my life.

Having just finished the book, however, the story just felt out of control. In place of a character-driven plot, we
Cheryl
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Important ideas poorly developed. Everyone fills a role and does things that the explication of the discussion points requires them to do, but most of their behaviors are implausible, especially for the cast of characters sketched here. Stereotypes abound, nuances are absent, and threads are dropped willy-nilly. I'm sure better, less simplistic. richer books are available....
Janssen
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, children, bookclub
I really enjoyed this one (although probably not as much as Out of My Mind).
Laurie
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interest Level: 3-6

Do you ever feel like you don't belong? Are you torn between two divorced parents? This is eleven-year-old Isabella. She is struggling with living one week with her dad, his girlfriend, and her son in a very fancy neighborhood and the next week with her mom and her boyfriend in the average house that she grew up in. It is a constant weekly struggle between these two parents who fight over her all the time. The other issue Isabella faces is that her mom is white and her dad is
Adriana (SaltyBadgerBooks)
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
2.5

I wanted to like this a lot more. And maybe I would have if I had read it and not listened to it. The narrator's voice was a lot older than a 11 year old should sound like.

The story was good, except there was so much going on. I felt like it took away from the book. I liked the initial conflict of being blended, and I liked the family conflict. But then....

(view spoiler)
Erin
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-grade
I had thought I would enjoy this book a lot more than I did, but instead I felt I was slogging through it more than anything.

Isabella's parents are getting a divorce. She is now moving between two houses and two different sets of rules. She's trying to find a balance between them as she also tries to figure out who she is and where she falls.

Knowing this was a middle-grade book, I did expect it to be different from my usually reads and I don't think I prepared myself enough or this one was an
Casey, with a book
This book is about a girl who is blended in the sense that she’s biracial, and who is in a blended family as her parents have divorced and met other people. Isabella is at an age where she is coming to comprehend racial tensions in society and has to process it all, and it gets quite intense — Draper doesn’t guard 11-year-old Isabella (or readers) from the violence and ugliness, although there are plenty of moments of love and joy as well. It has mature but relevant themes and could make a good ...more
Shari
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a hard book to rate. I really love Isabella’s voice and the authenticity of the portrayal of middle school. The book could use some editing. Draper threw every possible issue into the book ending with the big one. I just talked myself into taking away one of the stars.
Jeimy
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book, but I fear that it tried to tackle too much: racial insensitivity, being mixed race, being caught between angry parents after a divorce, and police prejudice against people of color. Ultimately, I wished the book had treated each of these topics in a more nuanced way.
Renata
LOVED this contemporary realistic book and think a lot of tweens will find it very relatable, while others will find themselves gently learning about micro- (and macro-)aggressions. Izzy/Isabella is a really engaging narrator.
Richie Partington
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Richie’s Picks: BLENDED by Sharon M. Draper, Atheneum/Caitlyn Dlouhy, October 2018. 320p., ISBN: 978-1-4424-9500-5

“Sit yourself down at the piano
Just about in the middle”
--Graham Nash, “Black Notes”

“Dylan Roof, white male, murdered 9 African Americans in a church, taken alive into custody.
Robert Bowers, white male, murdered 11 Jewish worshipers in church, taken alive.
Gregory A. Bush, white male, murdered 2 African Americans in a grocery store, taken alive.
Jemel Roberson, black security officer d
Dylan
Aug 14, 2020 added it
I don't like rating middle grade as I'm very out of that age range, but i really enjoyed this! It did come across as younger than the main character is supposed to be, and it was a bit too simple for me, but then again..it's middle grade!

It has so many important themes about what it means to be biracial, and the audiobook was pretty great.

I'd highly recommend this one!
Jill Williamson
I really enjoyed this book. The author did a wonderful job of getting us inside sixth grade Isabella’s head so that we could understand what it’s like for a girl who has a black dad and a white mom. And what it’s like to live in a family after divorce when you are forced to bounce back-and-forth, one week with mom and one week with dad. This is a great book for kids to understand and relate to what kids go through with both interracial marriage and divorce.

The story follows Isabellas life as she
Heather Jensen
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Blended is so good on so many levels. I love the point of view of young woman caught in the middle of divorced parents and the toll it takes on her. Sharon M. Draper once again creates a character so real that Izzy/Isabella will live in my heart for a long time. Draper also explores viewpoint of a a child growing up with a black father and a white mother. Isabella is never sure where she fits in, asking her father "Do you think people think I'm Black or white when they see me? Am I Black? Or whi ...more
Caroline
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good. It totally should win the Newbery!
Fox #4 = Blended - Divorce 1 2 Jun 16, 2019 12:50PM

• Front Desk (Front Desk, #1)
  • A Good Kind of Trouble
  • Clean Getaway
  • From the Desk of Zoe Washington
  • The Benefits of Being an Octopus
  • Amal Unbound
  • The Doughnut Fix (The Doughnut Fix #1)
  • The Bridge Home
  • 24 Hours in Nowhere
  • New Kid (New Kid, #1)
  • Ghost Boys
  • The Season of Styx Malone
  • The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl
Sharon M. Draper is a professional educator as well as an accomplished writer. She has been honored as the National Teacher of the Year, is a five-time winner of the Coretta Scott King Literary Award, and is a New York Times bestselling author. She lives in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Articles featuring this book

While books about anti-racism are trending on Goodreads and dominating the bestseller lists right now, some of our favorite Black authors are...
“Chocolate family meets vanilla family in the artificial reality that is a mall. Caramel daughter caught helplessly between the two.” 2 likes
“We were no longer a whole, but three separate pieces. A mom. A dad. A kid sliced in half. Actually, that made us four pieces—’cause I have to be two people: Mom’s Izzy and Dad’s Isabella.” 1 likes