Start by marking “Blended” as Want to Read:
Blended

Blended

"You’re so exotic!” “You look so unusual.” “But what are you really?”

Eleven-year-old Isabella is used to these kinds of comments - her father is black, her mother is white - but that doesn't mean she likes them. And now that her parents are divorced (and getting along WORSE than ever), Isabella feels more like a push-me-pull-me toy.

One week she’s Isabella with her dad, his
Published October 30th 2018 by Atheneum/Caitlyn Dlouhy Books

Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars

So, DO NOT LET COVERS DECEIVE YOU! This has such a cute cover that it leads you to believe it's a light and fun book. It's not. This book had some serious discussion topics in it from divorce, to racism, to police involved shootings.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed this book. Draper is an amazing writer. But.... this was essentially the middle grade The Hate U Give. I think it's perfect for that parent or adult who wants to discuss these topics with their preteens who may not be re
Lindsay Nixon
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wanted to love this book, but it fell short for me. I also tried (very hard!) not to compare it to The Hate You Give, but even when I put that book completely out of my head I still felt this was a 2-star book.

I do applaud Draper for taking on the subject matters here ("blended" refers to being biracial *and* having divorced parents). However, it proved to be too much subject/topic for one book. The "issues" in the storylines "competed" making both issues shallow/unfinished/undone.

As a posit
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

Trigger warning: Arguments before divorce. Up till the point I read.

DNF

I heard about this book through GR. I was actually semi-excited to read this. It sounded cute but important. Unfortunately I did not enjoy this.

I liked the beginning! It was interesting and I enjoyed the music talk. After some time I felt that the dialogue was forced. It could've been the situation between her parents, but I just couldn't get into it. Thus I left it.

I do still recommend. I sincerely believe this
Alexa L
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just read this entire book on my phone in one sitting in a hotel room in Japan while my husband snores next to me. It’s phenomenal. Obviously Sharon Draper is a queen, but this book was all kinds of epic. Emotion jumps off the page, and she mentions my favorite ice cream in the world, Graeters, and Jason Reynolds, who is one of the best people in the world. Don’t miss it this fall, thanks to Edelweiss for the early copy!
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Isabella is torn; her mom is white and her dad is black, and they have gotten divorced, leaving Isabella at her mom's one week and her dad's the next. Isabella is more than just being caught between two homes, though. She is caught between two cultures. What is her place? How can she react when her black friend is victimized? As a fellow black person? Or a white person?

Blended is a book that will deeply resonate with children today. Sharon Draper takes on issues of race that all children confron
Jesseca Evans
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Susan
As an adult reader, I felt there were too many "issues", but I don't think that will deter the intended audience for this book. What I thought was the strength of this story was the way Draper writes the tug of war feelings Isabella struggles with pertaining the separation/divorce/remarriage of her parents.

Janssen
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, bookclub, children
I really enjoyed this one (although probably not as much as Out of My Mind).
Sheila
Oct 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
At first I was excited to read this book, as I am a big fan of Sharon M. Draper’s past bestsellers: Tears of a Tiger, Forged by Fire, Out of My Mind, etc. But Blended turned out to be a big disappointment.

There was just too much crammed into a book that just meandered along. There was unexplained drama between Izzy’s parents - why do they hate each other, exactly? - that made the whole divorced parents angst thing seem ungrounded. Then there was Izzy herself, whose voice was not fully realized
Leigh Anne
I really liked how Draper addressed important topics and brought them down to a middle grade level. With that being said, I think there too many important topics to give each one the attention they deserved.
Casey (caseydillabooks)
This book is about a girl who is blended in the sense that she’s biracial, and who is in a blended family as her parents have divorced and met other people. Isabella is at an age where she is coming to comprehend racial tensions in society and has to process it all, and it gets quite intense — Draper doesn’t guard 11-year-old Isabella (or readers) from the violence and ugliness, although there are plenty of moments of love and joy as well. It has mature but relevant themes and could make a good ...more
Heidi Burkhart
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Draper just writes one outstanding book after another. I have followed her for years and bought all of her books when I was a librarian. This book is just perfect for middle school students. Top notch!
Jeimy
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book, but I fear that it tried to tackle too much: racial insensitivity, being mixed race, being caught between angry parents after a divorce, and police prejudice against people of color. Ultimately, I wished the book had treated each of these topics in a more nuanced way.
Abbie
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, 5-star
This was such a good book! I loved how it ended just how the beginning started. It's gives you a definition on race, and how you should treat people.
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Laurie
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interest Level: 3-6

Do you ever feel like you don't belong? Are you torn between two divorced parents? This is eleven-year-old Isabella. She is struggling with living one week with her dad, his girlfriend, and her son in a very fancy neighborhood and the next week with her mom and her boyfriend in the average house that she grew up in. It is a constant weekly struggle between these two parents who fight over her all the time. The other issue Isabella faces is that her mom is white and her dad is
Josh
It pains me to give a low rating to a book by the wonderful Sharon Draper, who has written so many good stories for kids and teens. The premise of this book seemed relevant for so many kids who deal with divorce and split custody arrangements, as well as identity struggles from being biracial, that I was looking forward to reading it and sharing it with the young people in my life.

Having just finished the book, however, the story just felt out of control. In place of a character-driven plot, we
Shari
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
This is a hard book to rate. I really love Isabella’s voice and the authenticity of the portrayal of middle school. The book could use some editing. Draper threw every possible issue into the book ending with the big one. I just talked myself into taking away one of the stars.
Cortney (cortingbooks)
Mini Me Rating
Richie Partington
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Richie’s Picks: BLENDED by Sharon M. Draper, Atheneum/Caitlyn Dlouhy, October 2018. 320p., ISBN: 978-1-4424-9500-5

“Sit yourself down at the piano
Just about in the middle”
--Graham Nash, “Black Notes”

“Dylan Roof, white male, murdered 9 African Americans in a church, taken alive into custody.
Robert Bowers, white male, murdered 11 Jewish worshipers in church, taken alive.
Gregory A. Bush, white male, murdered 2 African Americans in a grocery store, taken alive.
Jemel Roberson, black security officer d
Adriana (SaltyBadgerBooks)
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
2.5

I wanted to like this a lot more. And maybe I would have if I had read it and not listened to it. The narrator's voice was a lot older than a 11 year old should sound like.

The story was good, except there was so much going on. I felt like it took away from the book. I liked the initial conflict of being blended, and I liked the family conflict. But then....

(view spoiler)
Katlyn
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book Review- BLENDED by Sharon Draper ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Isabella’s life is complicated. She splits her time evenly between her divorced parents. She loves them, and they love her, but they can’t stand each other. She is caught in the middle, and doesn’t feel like she is fully home in either place. Her biracial identity also has her feeling caught in the middle- is she more black, or more white?
The book grows increasingly complex as Izzy grapples with race issues at school, at home, and in her community.
Sparrow
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is a tragic case of trying to handle too many issues and thus addressing all of them inadequately--and, to top it off, the serious issues presented here are interspersed amongst a really incredible amount of inanity. When one learns that a 308-page book will be tackling divorce, remarriage, biracial identity, racial profiling, hate speech, and police brutality, one expects that these topics will preclude much discussion of anything else. In this case, one would be wrong. I often felt l ...more
Lauren Grace Keen
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! So good! This book is about 11-year-old (almost 12-year-old) Isabella. Her mom is white and her dad is black. Toward the beginning of the story, we learn that her parents are getting divorced. And they are incredibly ugly toward each other, leaving Isabella in the middle, feeling caught between two different identities. Now if this were all the story was about, it would still be amazing. But Sharon M. Draper has beautifully written a story that not only shares how divorce impacts children, ...more
The Reading Countess
3 Star read for me as an adult reader, but 4 Star read for its intended audience.

Sharon Draper is a trusted name in the middle grade fiction world. Her readers know she doesn't sugar coat big issues, and her characters' voices ring true.

I liked Blended.

Its main character, Izzy, is a strong, musically gifted eleven year old with some big issues. She feels like she's got one foot in two lands as she is transported week-to-week to her divorced parents' homes. Each home is uniquely different, as un
Misti
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Isabella’s parents are divorced, so she is swapped between families each week. As a pre-teen, she’s confronting issues of identity: being biracial, should she identify as Black? White? Both? An unpleasant incident at school brings these questions to the forefront, but she’s also wrestling with feelings about changes in her family, plus the normal turmoil of growing up.

A powerful and well-written story, Draper does a great job with characterization as always. Isabella reminded me strongly of othe
steph
I get what the author was trying to do here, what message she was sending, but it felt off to me. There was a lot going on in this small book and then the end(ing) was very climatic and did not fit (in my opinion) the story it was previously telling. It really made me stop and go "whaaaat?". I wanted to love this book, I am a fan of this author and all the reviews (including here on GR) have been great but this book was not for me. Which is fine, I suppose. Not every book is. I did like Isabella ...more
Heather Jensen
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Blended is so good on so many levels. I love the point of view of young woman caught in the middle of divorced parents and the toll it takes on her. Sharon M. Draper once again creates a character so real that Izzy/Isabella will live in my heart for a long time. Draper also explores viewpoint of a a child growing up with a black father and a white mother. Isabella is never sure where she fits in, asking her father "Do you think people think I'm Black or white when they see me? Am I Black? Or whi ...more
Erika Castro
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book was perfect for a younger me. I loved the intricacies Izzy/Isabella brought to the book. She reminds me of myself, with her complex thought process of everything she ever participates in. The book brings up some really important topics like police brutality, slavery, what it’s like being a mixed kid, and even divorce. I would thoroughly recommend this book to my students, who may be experiencing many of these particular topics introduced in this novel.
Piyali
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I did not love it. I guess I expected a lot more from an author I love.
Sara
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!
  • Big & Little Questions (According to Wren Jo Byrd)
  • Wonderland
  • Three Pennies
  • The First Rule of Punk
  • Betty Before X
  • Clayton Byrd Goes Underground
Sharon M. Draper is a professional educator as well as an accomplished writer. She has been honored as the National Teacher of the Year, is a five-time winner of the Coretta Scott King Literary Award, and is a New York Times bestselling author. She lives in Cincinnati, Ohio.
“Chocolate family meets vanilla family in the artificial reality that is a mall. Caramel daughter caught helplessly between the two.” 0 likes
“The doors of Target opened with a welcoming swoosh, and I was instantly distracted. Yeah. Target does that to me. I feel at home. They've got stuff I need. Stuff I don't need. Stuff I didn't even know I wanted. Neatly placed and waiting for me. I love that place.” 0 likes