Start by marking “For Better and Worse” as Want to Read:
For Better and Worse

For Better and Worse

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  7,616 ratings  ·  1,237 reviews
On their first date back in law school, Natalie and Will Clarke bonded over drinks, dinner and whether they could get away with murder. Now married, they’ll put the latter to the test when an unchecked danger in their community places their son in jeopardy. Working as a criminal defense attorney, Nat refuses to rely on the broken legal system to keep her family safe. She ...more
Published December 11th 2018 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about For Better and Worse, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Emily Margaret
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  7,616 ratings  ·  1,237 reviews

Start your review of For Better and Worse
Melissa
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
*3.75-ish stars*

Apparently, impressing this reader in the suspense department has proven to be quite the task as of late. It must be my trusty bullshit meter—permanently stuck in the on position—or love for anything true-crime, that’s messing with my mojo.

At first glance, For Better and Worse teeters on the very precipice of being something amazing, memorable even. A potential standout amongst a genre overtaken by unreliable narrators and searches conducted for the sake of the missing.

Turns
Meredith
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Entertaining but forgettable

For Better and For Worse is a psychological thriller with an intriguing premise that, unfortunately, falls flat.

When Natalie, a criminal defense attorney, discovers that her 11-year-old son has been sexually abused by his school principal she decides to take matters into her own hands and plans for revenge. She believes she’s smart enough to pull off the impossible: commit the perfect murder.

However, things don’t go as planned and Natalie is forced to reach out to
Berit☀️✨
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How to get away with Murder! Or not?

loved it!This was a fast entertaining read that kept me engaged throughout... what would your reaction be if you were out on a first date and the topic of conversation was.... how to get away with murder? Well if I’m being honest I would probably be a little intrigued with the conversation, but never thinking it would ever come to fruition.... I don’t believe Will did either, but Natalie had other plans....

Such an intense story that kept me on the edge of my
Debra
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Could they get away with murder?

That is what Will and Natalie talked about on their first date in law school. Years later after many years of marriage they must examine that question again when they learn some shocking news involving their son, Charlie. Nat is a defense attorney and does not want her son to testify. She knows the process and does not want her son to go through the stress. Plus, she is angry - furious in fact. She wants justice and she wants it her way. Will is concerned and
Mischenko
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was definitely entertaining, but I still ended up with some mixed feelings…

My review contains unhidden spoilers..

Natalie and Will are married with an 11-year-old son named Charlie. In the beginning, their marriage was good, but as time went on everything seemed to fall apart with Will losing all interest in Nat. Their schedules are sort of crazy and everything seems controlled. Nat drops Charlie off at school one day and spots the police and questions why they’re at the school. It
Holly  B
On your mark, get ready... for the twists and turns!

I picked this one up to just read a few chapters and ended up staying up waaay past my bedtime! Now that is the sign of a good book IMO.

Who discusses planning a murder on their first date!?

Well Natalie and Will do! It was years before they were married and parents of an adorable eleven year old son, Charlie. They both are intelligent after all and why wouldn't they be able to pull off the perfect murder? Natalie happens to be a defense
Kaceey
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, buddy-read
Natalie and Will met in law school. Their first date consisted of all the awkward conversations that come with first dates. (Who hasn’t been there?!) Including an interesting little game called “getting away with the perfect murder.” Just a game...right?

Now married with an 11 year old son Charlie, life in small town Florida has become slow and easy.
That quickly changes when the principal at Charlie’s school is suddenly dismissed, now under suspicion of being a pedophile.

What lengths would you go
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
The blurb basically tells you most of what happens in the book. For me that already eliminates a “star”, there should be more mystery left for the reader to discover. Here is part of the blurb:

“Their young son Charlie’s principal is accused of molesting a troubled student. It’s a horrifying situation—and the poison spreads rapidly. One night before bed, Charlie tells Natalie he is a victim, too. In that moment, her concept of justice changes forever. Natalie decides the predator must die.

To
Felicia
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Some people just need killing."

OOOMMMMMMMGGGGGGGG
I can't praise this book enough. I loved everything about it. The writing is to the point without excruciating details. The characters are believable, likeable and relatable. The plot is fresh and unlike anything I have ever read.The story moves at such a quick pace that it left me breathless at times. The author doesn't allow time for the reader to digest what just happened before she throws the next curve ball at you. Unrelenting, absorbing
Elyse  Walters
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Then one of two things will happen. Behind door number one—Robert is convicted, which could possibly give Charlie some sort of closure, whatever that means, and Robert will go to jail for a really long time. And then Charley will spend the rest of his life wondering if he did the right thing, second-guessing himself, because don’t forget, it will already have been planted in his brain that he might not have remembered exactly what happened after all, or
behind door number two— Robert is
Susanne  Strong
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, buddy-read
3.75 Stars* (rounded up)
A Frightening, yet Fun Fast-paced Read!

When Natalie and Will met their attraction was instantaneous. Who knew that planning the perfect murder could be so sexy?

What started out as thrilling dinner conversation on their first date turned into the real thing some fifteen years later when their son Charlie’s school principal is accused of sexual assaulting a student. Natalie, a criminal defense attorney, sees red and it has the principal’s name all over it. Can Natalie
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 tense, gripping, morally questioning stars!

Natalie and Will are now married lawyers, but their first date was spent discussing whether they could get away with murder. Years later, their son is put in harms way, and they find themselves questioning once again if they could get away with murder.

Nat is a criminal defense attorney and knows first hand how broken the justice system can be, and she refuses to wait for it to do its job. She takes getting justice into her own hands.

…and now
megs_bookrack
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
**2.5-stars rounded up**

How far would you go to punish someone who has hurt your child?

Unfortunately, for Will and Natalie Clarke, this becomes more than a hypothetical after their son, Charlie, makes a horrifying revelation to them in this Adult Revenge Thriller.

Alternating perspectives between Nat and Will, we follow them down a dangerous road to vengeance. Natalie, a criminal defense attorney, and Will, a civil attorney, met in law school.

In fact, on their very first date they discussed how
j e w e l s
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-bejeweled
THREE STARS

This is a straightforward story of a murder. The victim is a known child molester and the reader is not meant to feel sorry for him. The killers are a respected, married couple who feel justifiably wronged.

Hey, these aren’t spoilers, it is right on the book jacket.

So, while not a whodunnit or a whydunnit, we do feel the tension and anxious story building as we wonder how in the world this guilty couple might get away with murder. If they do.

They might end up going to prison. I’ll
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hold on while I pick my jaw up off the floor and wait for my heart rate to slow—because this book really did a NUMBER on me in the BEST possible way!!! Reading this book was like watching someone else’s nightmare unfold and being unable to wake them up! With each twist and turn the tension cranked up a notch until I couldn’t have put the book down if I wanted to—I HAD to know what was going to happen next! I actually don’t think I’d have been able to sleep without finishing it! What a ride!

See
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“I doubt it would be easy to take a life. But I think if you had to—I mean, if we had to—we could absolutely get away with it.”

Look at that quote^^^. LOOK AT IT!!!!!! Did you look at it? Why the eff wasn’t I all over this when it was an ARC? I mean I realize I’m not super late to this party since it was just released ten days ago, but still . . . especially since it was a BOTM selection as well. Thankfully I jumped on the library
Nazanin
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2018
3 Stars
I don’t count this story as mystery/suspense/thriller! It dragged a lot. The plot wasn’t really good and I got bored and after reading 60% I started skimming and skipping. I enjoyed my first read by her (Best Friends Forever) but this one didn’t really work out for me, unfortunately! Maybe it was just me and not the book, as you can see all the good reviews! So don’t listen to me and read it, hope you enjoy it!

Thanks to Margot Hunt, Netgalley and HARLEQUIN - Mira for the advanced digital
Kendall
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Margot Hunt.... well well you have done it again!

With absolutely loving Margot Hunt's debut novel Best Friends Forever... I knew I had to get my hands on her next novel from Netgalley.
Let me tell you "Some people just need killing" ...... THAT is in all honesty a VERY true statement my friends.

Margot Hunt delivers a fast paced, addicting, and wild ride with For Better and Worse. I wasn't quite prepared for what I was getting into with this one. Margot had some serious twists and turns in her
DJ Sakata
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Favorite Quotes:

She was a delicious, fizzing secret that had transformed my boring, colorless life into something exciting.

He was an affable guy in his late forties, with the sort of annoyingly boyish good looks that women always went for. My main impression of him, after being law partners for a number of years, was that while he led a charmed life, he was about as deep as a puddle. He had a pretty, vapid wife and a couple of good-looking, vapid children who all excelled at sports.

He lifted the
Carrie
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
For Better and Worse by Margot Hunt is a thriller that asks the questions just how far will you go for your family? What would you do to protect your child? And a warning is in order with this one as it may not be for everyone with child molestation involved.

Natalie and Will Clarke are both lawyers now and have been together since their days in law school. Back on their first date the couple had had a strange but fascinating conversation about being able to commit the perfect murder. Neither had
Jayme
Once upon a time there were two law students, Natalie and Will, who were out on a first date.

Natalie was not sure if Will was really her “type” until he started a conversation about how two lawyers, namely, the two of them, should be able to plan and execute the “perfect murder”.

Over tossed salads, they tossed around ideas.

By the time the entrees were finished, and the last of the red wine had been poured, they were clinking glasses and toasting “to getting away with it”..

Fast forward 15
Jonetta
Natalie and Will Clarke met in law school seventeen years ago. She’s now a criminal defense attorney, he’s a trust and estate lawyer and they’re the parents of 11-year old Charlie. Their marriage appears to be on shaky ground as he’s become distant and she’s bordering on disinterest. However, when they learn their son has been harmed, Natalie takes action to shield him from the criminal justice system and drags Will into her scheme. Now they’re forced to come together to protect each other as ...more
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Wow! This book blew my mind! There are a handful of books this year that I was completely blown away with and this is one of them. The plot, the writing style, the suspense of seeing if they get caught, checked all of my boxes for a perfect thriller.

This book was not on my radar to read until my fellow Traveling Sisters organized a group read. I am so glad I joined in with this one because I would have missed out on one of my top 10 books for the year. To say I loved it is an understatement.
Jenny
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Is there really such a thing as the "perfect murder." It's been written about in books for centuries. Movies, television shows, radio and podcasts have all tackled the age old scenario. Do you think you could plan the perfect murder and get away with it?
Fifteen years ago, Natalie and Will Clarke went on their first date. As two young law school students spent the evening getting to know each other, they put their law school brains together as they discussed how to plan the perfect murder and get
Bharath
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Will and Natalie meet in law school, and later get married. After a few years, and a son Charlie, life seems to enter a phase where their relation seems to be losing its shine. Their life comes under severe strain when Charlie’s principal is accused of molesting a child. Will and Natalie have known him well and are not sure what the truth is. The student who has made the accusation has had problems in the past.

Very quickly Will and Natalie find themselves getting involved more deeply. They are
What would you do for your child? What would you do to calm your craving for vengeance?

Spoiler contains my spin on the book synopsis: (view spoiler)
Darinda
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Natalie and Will met in law school, and on their first date had a conversation about getting away with murder. Now it is 14 years later, and Nat and Will are married and have an eleven-year-old son. Their old conversation is revisited when Nat decides they need to protect their son, and the only way to do that is to kill the person who is abusing him.

This novel poses an interesting question. How far would you go to protect your child? Nat is a defense attorney, and knows how flawed the legal
Amanda
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Will and Natalie, both law students had their first date they casually discuss if they could get away with the perfect murder. Makes a change from small talk I guess!!

Years later Will and Natalie are married with an 11 year old son Charlie. Both are successful in their law careers but their marriage is stuck in a rut and they take one and other for granted.

When they discover that Robert their son’s school principle has been accused of molesting a pupil, they soon realise that there are
Sue
FOR BETTER AND WORSE is the psychological thriller by pseudonym author Margot Hunt.

Will took Natalie on a first date to a French bistro, in New Orleans. They were both law students. While talking criminals, Will says to Nat:

“I bet if we wanted to, you and I could plan the perfect crime. Maybe even the perfect murder.”
When they came up with a possibility “Who”, they moved on to “How” and the method of execution.

“If we had to… we could absolutely get away with it.”

“To our future as criminal
*TANYA*
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely for the better!!! Horrible circumstances test a fragile marriage, and a very bad decision spirals out of control. Full of angst, I kept setting this book down because of it. It had me guessing to the very end.
Psychological Thrillers 1 7 Dec 26, 2018 10:16AM

• Dear Wife
  • The Whisper Man
  • Miracle Creek
  • My Lovely Wife
Margot Hunt is the pseudonym of a bestselling writer of twelve previous novels. Her work has been praised by Publisher’s Weekly, Booklist and Kirkus Reviews. BEST FRIENDS FOREVER is her first psychological thriller.

Learn more about Margot and her forthcoming books at
margothunt.com.
“Believing anything in life is fated is just a way to avoid taking responsibility.” 3 likes