Start by marking “Just For Clicks” as Want to Read:
Just For Clicks

Just For Clicks

Mommy blogs are great . . . unless the blog happens to belong to your mom.

Twin sisters Claire & Poppy are accidental social media stars thanks to Mom going viral when they were babies. Now, as teens, they're expected to contribute by building their own brand. Attending a NY fashion week and receiving fan mail is a blast. Fending off internet trolls and would-be kidnapp
Published February 19th 2019 by Amberjack

To ask other readers questions about Just For Clicks, please sign up.
Karen • The Book Return I am a mom of twins and thought the twin relationship was done well. There is the added twist of them being on-line celebrities so this adds an added…moreI am a mom of twins and thought the twin relationship was done well. There is the added twist of them being on-line celebrities so this adds an added dimension to their relationship.(less)

Toni
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, ya
Twin sisters Claire and Poppy are rising Internet stars thanks to their Mum blogging about their lives since they were born. Imagine all those cute but so embarrassing details open to strangers’ scrutiny just a click away. One day their Mum sets up a Youtube channel for them and off they go making their own name and building up their own brand. While Poppy loves it and sees the fame as a way of gaining power, Claire, the geeky web designer part of the duo, hates the pervasive lack of privacy bro ...more
may ❀
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
e-arc so graciously provided by netgalley. all opinions are my own.

This book had a lot of potential and I went in with really high hopes, hoping it would be something along the lines of Far From the Tree, but it really wasn’t. sad.

pros
- between each chapter is a page of text messages or emails or forum posts and I found it to be very cute and charming
- Rafael, this sweet soft boy who doesn’t use technology was my favourite character
- Slow burn romance that is heavy on friendship (fav)
- reall
Kara J McDowell
Jul 27, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
11/26/18 - New release date!

Just popping in to let everyone know that the release of JUST FOR CLICKS has been moved to February 19, 2019! I hope the extra 3 weeks will be worth the wait!

7/27/18 - I have a cover! (And I'm absolutely smitten with it!)

You might enjoy JUST FOR CLICKS if you like:

-Stories about sisters, specifically twins
-Complicated family dynamics
-Nice boys who are also a little bit technophobic
-Social Media
-Snippets of text messages, emails, forum posts, and voicemails
-Slow burn
Sahitya
More of a 3.5 star read.

I saw this book many times while browsing but it really wasn’t much on my radar to read until I saw a couple of trusted bloggers promoting it on social media. And it definitely didn’t disappoint. It started off really well but then took some interesting and not very pleasing turns, so I kind of have mixed feelings about the book overall.

Claire is a very realistic teenage protagonist. Her whole life has been about the blog and YouTube and she feels tired of living her life
Inge
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was cute! I've been struggling with YA contemporary as of late, but I breezed right through Just For Clicks in just over 24 hours. I loved reading about the twins and how different they each felt about their lives as blogger legacies; one revelling in the spotlight, the other abhorring it.

Following Claire as she tries to figure out what she wants out of life, and how to get out of the life she's currently leading, was really interesting. Her YouTube fame added a fresh perspective,
Marie
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is more of a 4,5, I am SO indecisive okay.
There were so many things to love in this book: I really liked the blogging aspect of it all and seeing how much space it took in the girls' and their mother's lives. I LOVED the family dynamics and sister dynamics a whole lot, too and I had such a great time with the romance, slow-burning friendship turning into more, my favorite kind. That was overall such a good debut, I had such a fun time reading it and 300% recommend it.

Read my full review o
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

Just For Clicks by Kara McDowell is a book that discusses internet fame and the struggles young influencers face. I loved the prominent theme of family and the main character who faces many challenges. The story provides interesting insight, and some heavy topics are discussed alongside some fun.

❀ INTERNET INFLUENCERS

This book tells the story of Claire and Poppy, internet influencers who pretty much have it all. However, Claire wants to be normal, but the brand wou
Vicky Who Reads
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
3 stars

I have mixed feelings about this one, and there’s a lot of pros and cons to the different elements.

For a romantic contemporary, it wasn’t bad, but it also felt like it was stuck somewhere between romance and coming-of-age novel and couldn’t decided what it wanted to be. I think conceptually it is really cute–I love the idea of a romance and someone who is the daughter of a Mommy Blogger having to deal with that certain brand of fame.

But, I also think parts of this book had its flaws. Fir
Lilian
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was really interesting! There were a couple of plot twists that I didn't see coming, which is nice. 😛 A couple of bad words, but overall very clean.
Samantha (WLABB)
Rating: 4.5 Stars

In this day and age, when social media plays such a big role in our lives, Claire wanted to escape it all and be "just Claire", but after playing her role for so long, she first needed to figure out who "just Claire" really was.

• Pro: I have a love/hate relationship with social media, and I really appreciated all the different sides of internet fame McDowell presented. She showed the good, the bad, and the ugly of it all, as well as the perceptions of both fans and the internet
Isabelle (the Book Dutchesses)
This is a pretty generic contemporary cover, and while I normally hate people on covers I actually really like this one! I love the color scheme, the white doodles and I also like the models they used for Claire and Poppy. The cover brings the feel of the book across quite well I think.

I didn’t realize this book was only 250 pages when I started reading it, but I flew through it and before I knew it I hit the end. When I dived into this story I was expecting a cute and fluffy contemporary novel
♥ Kym
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I can’t believe I spent 3 hours of my time reading this. Claire is utterly annoying who always complains about her oh-so-perfect life. I‘m not popular or whatsoever so I don’t know what it feels like to live in the shadows, but damn this girl makes it seem like her problems are the worst.
Morgan (The Bookish Beagle)
I loved this book!! What an unexpected surprise! The voice was fantastic, the story was thought-provoking and filled with just the right amount of drama, and I super loved Rafael from the start! I also related so so deeply to some of the romantic situations Claire found herself in- we're both terribly awkward hahah. The ending felt a little fast but I read this in a day and enjoyed it SO much. It reminded me of an emma Mills or Jenn bennett book, which is the highest compliment I can give. Longe ...more
Rachel Solomon
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was so much fun! Its approach to social media (and social media fame) felt fresh and authentic, and the romance was absolutely adorable. Compelling family dynamics, too. Highly recommend to lovers of contemporary YA!
Princess
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in a giveaway from the author. I also got approved by Netgalley at the same time😊

Just for Clicks is about 2 sisters who are popular on social media. This book is very important for teens to see how much they put on social media and how they open their lives for everyone to see. It also brings to the forefront how family doesn’t always mean blood. It hits on anxiety and shows how not everyone feels comfortable just going with the flow. It’s ok to just be you. I enjo
Nikki Barthelmess
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m so lucky I got to read this book before publication. I loved it so much! If you like stories about sisters, family secrets, internet fame, and a swoony will-they-or-won’t-they romance, this book is for you!
Lillian Clark
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I *adored* this book. Claire's story is so fascinating! Fun to read, full of heart and complexity, I've never read anything like it. I was hooked by the peek-behind-the-curtain of being internet famous but fell in love with McDowell's characters.
Mimi
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Kara McDowell’s debut novel invites you into the midst of twin sisters Claire and Poppy, whose lives have been chronicled online since the day there were born. Their Mom, internationally known mommy blogger managed to build a brand by telling the world about her family – and as teens, Claire and Poppy have taken up the torch and have become famous vloggers. The only problem? Claire doesn’t want to be in the spotlight anymore. She craves a normal life away from the cameras, away from the prying e ...more
Karen • The Book Return
(4.5 Stars)
Read this review and more on my blog.The Book Return Blog
*I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

'I just can't help but think, unhinged for not, the good moms are the ones who stay. The ones who keep trying day in and day out.'

Claire and her twin sister, Poppy, are 'internet famous'. Every part of their lives have been blogged, photographed, and recorded by their fa

Kiki Cole
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Review to come!
Jessica | Booked J
As a note, an e-galley of this novel was sent to me via Edelweiss by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not effect my opinions in any way.

Review also found here at Booked J.

When I first requested Just for Clicks, I knew I would enjoy it. I just didn't know how much I would. I have to say, firstly, that I am really impressed with all the contemporaries that I've read so far in 2019. We're less than a month of our way through the new year and already, every single YA con
Andi (Andi's ABCs)
This review was originally posted on Andi's ABCs
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. There is no denying we live in an internet famous world. We have YouTube and Instagram and Snap Chat. We have blogs and Facebook and Twitter. People want to make their mark and they try to become internet famous overnight. So when I read the description for Just for Clicks I immediately wanted to pick it up becau
Aimee
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases
Thank you to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review Just for Clicks before its publication date.

I really enjoyed this debut novel from Kara McDowell! Fraternal twins Claire and Poppy grew up in the spotlight as the subjects of their mother's fashion/mommy blog. Now seniors in high school Claire dreams of a life with privacy away from her fame-obsessed mother and sister while Poppy is ready and willing to sign on the dotted line for a lifetime of money, fame, and influence.

I went into t
anika
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a free ARC (advanced review copy) of this book in exchange for an honest review (thanks, Netgalley!) and I loved it so so so much that I read it in one day. There was a small pinch of minor swearing, and the main characters were secular teenagers so they weren't perfect (no one is though), but I loved the plot and characters and message so much that I can get past that.

Claire is ME. She can be so mature and wise at some times, and then other times she'll lock herself in her room for 2
Kelly deVos
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely put this book on your 2019 TBR! It's got a romance that you won't be able to put down and is a fun, fashionable take on the life of a teen instagram influencer. Come for the romance, stay for the story of a teenager finding and learning to love herself.
Allison ☾
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
“ For the first time in years, I’ve met someone who doesn’t see me as Claire Dixon: Internet Famous, and I’m determined to keep it that way. If last year taught me anything, it’s that some of my classmates view me through a constant “goals” filter, regardless of how unglamorous my life really is. Or they straight up hate me. It’s exhausting.”

This was an excellent debut novel. I would recommend to anyone who uses text or social media to communicate, mainly middle to high school aged girls. This
Mari Johnston
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
*A digital ARC was provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Just For Clicks seems like it would be your typical YA contemporary love story, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. This book deals with some incredibly important issues that go deeper than I ever expected. Featuring the slowest slow burn romance I’ve ever encountered (which I loved), Just For Clicks introduces us to Claire, who takes us on her personal journey as she figures out who she is after growing up
Shealea
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Um. Review to follow.

3 stars
Jypsy
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This is an adorable social media involved story. It's a fast and fun read. Great for a relaxing day.
Amanda (Books, Life and Everything Nice)
Thank you to NetGalley, Amberjack, and Kara McDowell for an ARC ebook copy to review. As always, an honest review from me.

Just for Clicks centers around Claire, Poppy - her twin sister, and their mother. Since they were little girls Claire and Poppy have been vlogging, blogging and doing all sorts of paid sponsorships for their mom’s online brand. The blog started as a way for their mom to share their family moments with friends and also allowed her to support herself and her family after her h

• The Quiet You Carry
  • Color Me In
  • You'd Be Mine
  • The Revolution of Birdie Randolph
  • Patron Saints of Nothing
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Call It What You Want
  • Match Made in Manhattan
  • If I'm Being Honest
Born in the mountains and raised in the desert, Kara McDowell spent her childhood swimming, boating, and making up stories in her head. As the middle of five children, Kara entertained her family on long road trips by reading short mystery stories out loud and forcing everyone to guess the conclusion. After graduating from Arizona State University with a BA in English Literature, Kara worked as a ...more