Start by marking “Watcher in the Woods (Rockton, #4)” as Want to Read:
Watcher in the Woods (Rockton, #4)

Watcher in the Woods

(Rockton #4)

In #1 New York Times bestselling author Kelley Armstrong's latest thriller, the town of Rockton--and her fans--are in for another hair-raising adventure.

The secret town of Rockton has seen some rocky times lately; understandable considering its mix of criminals and victims fleeing society for refuge within its Yukon borders. Casey Duncan, the town's only detective on a pol
Published February 12th 2019 by Doubleday Canada (first published February 5th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Watcher in the Woods, please sign up.
Kiran You certainly can read this as a stand alone but a lot of the back story for the main characters would be missing. In my opinion the nuances of the…moreYou certainly can read this as a stand alone but a lot of the back story for the main characters would be missing. In my opinion the nuances of the characters is what makes this series fun to read and I would suggest starting from the beginning, City of the Lost. (less)

Diane S ☔
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lor-2019
Rockton, a place of last resort, hidden deep in the Yukon territory. Such a multifaceted place, filled with people being given a second chance. In this fourth outing, Casey and Eric face another possible crisis, someone in town who is maybe more dangerous than previously thought. But who? And how did someone unexpected find their town? Also brings another newcomer, closely related to Casey.

Love this series, such a great blend of mystery and adventure. So enjoy the idea of this place, the mysteri
Paromjit
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kelley Armstrong writes the 4th of this series set in the huge wilderness of the Yukon territory in Canada. It worked reasonably well as a standalone as this was my first dip into this series. It has an unusual premise of a highly secret town named Rockton, with little in the way of mod cons, like the internet and away from all signs of civilisation. Problems are virtually guaranteed, given the residents are criminals or victims fleeing and disappearing from society with their secrets in the hop ...more
Mackey
Casey Duncan is back in this fourth installment of the Rockton saga – a series involving the secluded town and its people in the frozen Yukon of Canada.

Admittedly, Watcher in the Woods is part of my favorite series. It’s got a terrific cast of characters, all of whom are quite flawed or they wouldn’t be in the town of Rockton. Rockton, you see, is a secret, very secluded town for those who need to escape either because they are the worst in society or from the very worst in society. It makes for
Jilly
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This series has an awesome concept: a town in the middle of the Yukon that is exclusively for victims of crime, witnesses, or others who need to be safe - like Witness Protection. But, well... nothing ever works out exactly to plan, does it? And, running a town in the middle of nowhere takes lots of money. So, yeah, maybe they also have a criminal or two that had enough money to buy their way in... or a serial killer or two. Like I said, nothing works out exactly to plan...

Casey is our hero and
Tim
May 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
While this may qualify as a thriller, it is not a good one. Too many personalities and conflicts dampen and deluge this story like a thunderstorm. 3 of 10 stars
Carolyn
This is the first book I've read in this series but I'm definitely going to go back to the start of the series and see where it all began. And yes, it would have helped to have read them in order as there are references to prior events, but enough information was given to bring me up to speed and it didn't affect my ability to follow this episode.

Casey Duncan is a Detective, the only Detective, in the tiny town of Rockton in the Yukon. Rockton is a secret town, isolated and totally off the grid
Lisa
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My thanks to St. Martin's Press and Minataur books..This is the second book in this series that I've read, and luckily they were both back to back books. I love the concept of this story. Heck, Rockton is a place I would love to be. Cut off from everything, in the Yukon and surrounded by woods, wildlife and few people. Sounds great! Sign me up. I'm just one of those strange folk who prefers to be surrounded by quiet. Well, of course I'd still need light to read by and power to blast my 80's hair ...more
Maureen Carden
Sisters, sisters
There were never such devoted sisters…
Caring, sharing…
But in tight places
We think and we act as one... uh-huh

These song lyrics from White Christmas are most definitely not written about Det. Casey Duncan and her sister Dr. April Duncan. Casey has a very problematic relationship with her genius sister. However Rockton needs Dr. April Duncan, so Casey and her lover/boss/best friend Sheriff Eric Dalton sneak April into Rockton to remove a bullet from the spine of a Rockton residen
♥Rachel♥
If you haven’t read the previous books being that this is the 4th installment there are bound to be spoilers here. If you haven’t picked up this series yet, you are definitely missing out! This series is riveting, suspenseful, and full of twists and turns! I always want to set aside a chunk of time so I can read each book straight through!

Watcher in the Woods
picks up right after the events of This Fallen Prey. Eric and Casey are desperately looking for a doctor to come up and treat and assess K
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
WATCHER IN THE WOODS is book four in Kelly Armstrong's Rockton series. I've read all the books and this is a series that I love and I hope that Armstrong will keep on writing several more books.

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION!
4.5/5 stars

Watcher in the Woods is the fourth book in the Rockton/Casey Duncan mystery/thriller series.

I love Kelley Armstrong and I absolutely adore this series. This book takes place approximately 2 weeks after book three.

The narrator is once again 32 year old detective Casey Duncan. These books take place in a small off the grid hidden town called Rockton (in the Yukon/North West of Canada).

Each of the books in this series have a self-contained mystery. But we get to see many of the same char
Monica
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Extremely solid read! There were a lot of characters and back stories to keep up with... but I enjoyed the fact I had to pay close attention. Otherwise I sometimes skim over the details!

This is a great read for those who enjoy thrillers and crime stories. I will definitely look for the earlier books set in Rockton.

Thanks to NetGalley for this book in exchange for my honest review.
Dianne
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
My Rating: 3.5 Stars

A town that seems not to exist. Citizens hiding from the rest of the world looking for a second chance at life… and murder. Kelley Armstrong’s WATCHER IN THE WOODS has all of the intensity of a wonderfully dark suspense. It also has three preceding books in a series that apparently MUST be read first!

Anti-heroes abound, iffy calls and actions are taken, but, to the clueless reader who accepted the invitation to review, unless you have background, it is not rehashed.

There was
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-galley
As always I love this little backwoods, backwards strange town and all it's crazy messed up residents. Another well done, well plotted and well developed mystery. I loved all the info we learn about not only more of the residents (and new ones too!) but about Casey, her family and of course, about the council. I can not wait for more! I seriously adore this series.
Juli
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A few months ago, I accidentally requested a review copy of this book, not realizing it is book 4 in a series. So I started back at book one and read my way to Watcher in the Woods. I'm very glad I did! Not only did it introduce me to a new-to-me author, but this series has quickly become one of my favorites!

Rockton is a town in the middle of nowhere in the Canadian wilderness. It's not on any map. The city is hidden from airplanes flying overhead. And there is no electricity, no internet, very
Brenda
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy these trips to Rockton! What a crazy cast of characters, and it changes when someone must leave at the end of their contract, is kicked out by the Council, or dies. This keeps the series fresh; there’s always something new to learn. Some long-time residents appear in this book, but some backstory is missing. It would be wise to read this series from the beginning.

A neurosurgeon is snuck into Rockton because there is a patient who needs her skills. A U. S. Marshal shows up and is p
Erin
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, series, kindle
Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

First and foremost, I am a longtime fan of Kelley Armstrong and have read many of her book series and I will read her in the future, but I probably should have read the first three books in this series or at least book one. Fact is, I was completely lost as character after character seemed to run through the forest of this small town. I just couldn't keep my Paul's and Peter's straight. Rockton, a town wh
Hollis
My least favourite of the series so far but that's only notable because of how good the first three are. I thought the beginning was strong, and I liked how it wrapped, but there was a lot of action in the middle that I just wasn't super invested in. But I'm hoping there's much more to come for Rockon because it's a fascinating concept for a series and full of excellent characters.

"Someone's in a very good mood. Had a productive afternoon, I take it?"
"Nope. Had such a fucking shitty and utterly
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was really good. I have really enjoyed all of the previous books in this series so I was really eager to dive into this newest installment. This is the fourth book in the Rockton series which is a series that I think works best when read in order. This was an exciting story that I found hard to put down. I had a fantastic time with this story.

I love the basis of this series. A super secret city filled with criminals and other in
Marialyce
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes, I wish I could escape to the Yukon, to Rockton, a place where you are secluded, know nothing about the world's problems, and feel a sense of safety. Well, perhaps safety is not quite the proper word, if living in a town where most residents come from nefarious backgrounds and are there hiding out from those seeking to punish them, reside. For you see, Rockton houses those running from all sorts of goings on that would land them in jail, dead, or even worse. Even more sobering is the f ...more
Linda Strong
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Rockton is a little known town in the Yukon area of Canada. Casey Duncan is the only female detective in a team of three. She's only lived there for a few months, but she's already seen more crime than anywhere else she's been.

A stranger appears in town claiming he is a US Marshall looking for one of their residents... but won't give her a name. She and her boyfriend, Sheriff Eric Dalton, are highly suspicious of him and his claim, but when he's shot and killed, they start taking a clos
Fiona
Watcher in the Woods is the latest entry in the Rockton series, and one of the best yet. While most of the books can be read alone, this and This Fallen Prey should definitely be read together; I wouldn't say they can't stand alone, but it would make for a pretty poor experience.

We begin where we left off - five or six situations that look like they're about to explode into chaos at any minute, a couple that already have, and it's Casey and Eric at the centre of it all trying to perform the worl
Karen  ⚜Mess⚜
Mystery, murder and mayhem in the town of Rockton. Rockton is located in an area I like to call "The Misfit Territory". The people who come to live in this hidden town come to seek asylum from some sort of wrong doing. The isolation of Rockton tends to bring out quirkiness in people. The real crazies live out in the wilderness surrounding Rockton.

Eric and Casey are back, locking up the bad kids, patching boo boos, and putting bodies on ice. First, Casey must enlist her sister (a doctor) to com

Alison
Imagine a secret village deep in the Yukons where people are sent to disappear. Released murderers who need to escape from the media, people who need witness protection, criminals who can afford to buy their way into a new life. All they need to do is agree to stay five years in a remote community with no internet, no TV, barely any electricity and a shed load of rules.

Casey Duncan was one of those people, in a previous life she was also a homicide detective and now she has become part of the lo
Terri Wino
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
3-1/2 stars rounded up to 4.

This book picks up only a few days after the events of the last one, but it jumps right back into action and suspense with a new murder and a gaggle of suspects.

It also brings Casey's sister April into the mix. She was a little difficult to take to at first, but some of her behavior has an interesting explanation that I hope is explored more in future books.

As with the previous books, this one throws a lot of people and possible motives and a bunch of information at
debra
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: available
4-5*s Audio. Really enjoyed this one. Diane S, Paromjit, and Brenda wrote excellent reviews for this title, and so... my work is done. ; ))

PS When you just jump into a series, as I often do, it does pretty much preclude your going back to enjoy the earlier books, and I do sorta kinda have some regrets about that.
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ by: t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog
Shelves: audio_books
4.5 Suspenseful Stars!!

In this forth book in the series a U.S. Marshall somehow makes his way into Rockton despite the secrecy of the remote isolated town. The Marshall reveals that a dangerous violent criminal is hiding in Rockton and he’s there to retrieve him. Casey and Dalton throw the Marshall out of town to protect the identities of the rest of the residents.

In a attempt to learn the identity of the fugitive Dalton and Casey go in search of the Marshall’s campsite in the surrounding woo
☕️Kimberly
Casey Duncan went into hiding with her friend and found a place to call home. She works as a detective with her boyfriend, Sheriff Eric Dalton. With limited resources, and the mysterious Council failing to provide basic medical care, Eric and Casey reach out to her estranged sister. It shocks Casey when she agrees to return with them.

Things get tense when a man claiming to be a US Marshal arrives. Rockton may be a small remote town but things are hopping in the suspense department and Casey has
K.
Trigger warnings: death, murder, violence, gun violence, stabbing, assault, blood.

I really love this series - the premise of an extremely isolated community in the Yukon full of people on the run from the law and other dangerous people is GREAT, and having it from the perspective of a police officer in the town is fabulous.

This fourth installment was no exception.

The mystery kept me guessing, the characters are fantastic, and there's puppies. Also murder. I thoroughly enjoyed the addition of
Maureen
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Review to come

• Circle of the Moon (Soulwood, #4)
  • PERfunctory AfFECTION
  • Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)
  • Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • The Blacksmith (Iron Seas #5)
  • Brave the Tempest (Cassandra Palmer, #9)
  • Demon's Dance (Lizzie Grace, #4)
  • Grave Destiny (Alex Craft, #6)
  • Honor Bound (The Honors, #2)
  • Unholy Luck (Downside Ghosts, #6)
  • Protect the Prince (Crown of Shards, #2)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • A Scandal in Scarlet (A Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery, #4)
  • Chimera (MetaWars, #4)
  • A Few Pecans Short of a Pie (Southern Eclectic #2.5)
  • What Doesn't Kill Her (Cape Charade, #2)
  • Wolf Rain (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #3; Psy-Changeling, #18)

Rockton (5 books)
  • City of the Lost (Rockton, #1)
  • A Darkness Absolute (Rockton, #2)
  • This Fallen Prey (Rockton, #3)
  • Alone in the Wild (Rockton, #5)