Start by marking “Confidential” as Want to Read:
Confidential

Confidential

From the bestselling author of Neighborly comes a twisty novel of psychological suspense about the lies three women tell to survive, and the ones they'd kill to keep hidden.

Everyone loves therapist Michael Baylor. He's handsome. He's respected. And he's provided a safe place for his female patients. Now he's dead, and a detective is casting a tight net for the murderer--be
Published March 5th 2019 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Confidential, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confidential

Debra
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads-won
Therapist Michael Baylor appears to be a very good therapist. He is widely respected in his field, known for taking on difficult cases. He provides a safe and therapeutic place for his clients. But then he is found dead in his office. Who would want him dead? Certainly not any of the female patients he made feel so safe and welcome.

Flora first saw Dr. Baylor for marriage counseling but soon left her husband and entered an inappropriate intimate relationship with him - a slightly obsessive one. G
Michelle
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
An entertaining novel of psychological intrigue, “Confidential” (2019) is the second book written by Ellie Monago. Dr. Michael Baylor, a never-married highly respected behavioral therapist was found dead in his Oakland California office. When homicide detective Gregory Plath arrived to investigate, he quickly determined that perhaps Dr. Baylor’s “sterling reputation” may not have been the entire truth.

Detective Plath needed to investigate Dr. Baylor’s patients, particularly the three patients w
marilyn
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this psychological murder mystery that starts with the murder of well liked therapist Michael Baylor. The book varies it's chapters between earlier dates, when Michael was still alive and the present, as a detective is investigating his murder. There are three suspects, two former clients of Michael and a current client of his. We get to see events from the perspective of all three women and each of the women are in various stages of love/like with Michael.

Former client Flora, has bee
Jayme
“Three very different women, with only Dr. Michael Baylor in common, meet in a dim sum restaurant....”

Because of this, they become Detective Gregory Plath’s main suspects in the murder case of this well respected Psychiatrist.

Three alternating narratives:

Flora, a former patient that the good Dr. claims to love...yet because the “code of ethics” won’t allow therapists to date their patients for two years, he keeps their relationship a secret...only meeting at her place, and never taking her out
Mandy White
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Confidential by Ellie Monago was just my kind of book. A murder and 3 promising suspects. It is a fast read, although at times it did get a bit caught up and I found it to be a bit too long. The characters are all those you would not want to be friends with, but in this book it worked not liking any of them!

Therapist Michael Baylor has been found dead in his office. Police have 3 main suspects:

- Lucinda - a patient who was seeing him to help deal with her childhood trauma.
- Greer - a career woma
Lisa-Books Smiles
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!

Dr. Michael Baylor, a thriving therapist is found dead and the top 3 female suspects have only one thing in common…the dead therapist. Confidential was an overall page turner with characters you love to hate. I love that it’s written in first person narrative giving each character a distinct voice. I think this could have easily been a 5-star read, however the “open” ending did not work for me and left me a bit disappointed.

Thank you to the publisher via Netgalley for an e-arc copy in
Alyssa Smith
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley, the author, and the publisher for this ARC!

What a cast of love-to-hate characters. This was a well written, fast, awesome thriller that kept you digging and guessing. I loved each alternating voice and the power that they gained within themselves along the way. Everyone is damaged and it worked. This was an awesome read, definitely recommend!
Imelda
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways, own
This was an interesting read, to say the least.

After Dr. Michael Baylor, a therapist, was found dead in his office, 3 women and a detective became entangled in a whodunit mystery. The book is written from 4 different points of views: Flora - a former patient and current secret lover of Dr. Baylor; Greer - a career woman who began as a patient of Dr. Baylor, but ended up as something more; Lucinda - a patient of Dr. Baylor who was working through some childhood trauma; and Detective Gregory Plat
Natalie M
May 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is really woeful. Told from the perspective of 4.2 people...3 women, all of whom need therapy, 1 therapist and the 0.2 is the ‘contribution’ the detective who barely makes any difference to the story. Really why the detective is even in the book should’ve been the sign to stop reading.
The three women lack in just about every way but considering the setting I thought this would improve...alas not. The therapist, was as expected.
The three main POV’s, in this read, is excruciating. The writi
Jeanette
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is was a good read, but there was something about the story that didn't grip me as much as i thought it would. The plot was good, but there were parts whereby i felt i was losing interest. However, the story soon picked up again. I am not going to write what the story is about as i prefer one to read it for themselves.

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers for my copy.
Marc Bougharios
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it

The premise for this novel sounded very good and promising and I was very excited to get into it. The novel started off to a very strong start and I was hooked in the first half. But in the second half, it strated to slowed down.

The novel was told in the point of views of Dr. Baylor's patients, Greer, Flora and Lucinda. Each of these women is going through something in their lives and are associated in a non-professional manner to Dr. Baylor. But when Dr. Baylor dies, they are the top t
Jayme
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Three alternating narratives:

Robin Loves Reading
Dr. Michael Baylor was a successful psychotherapist, especially when it came to his female patients. However, he is now dead and the detective in charge of the case has three potential suspects, Flora, Lucinda and Greer, Detective Gregory Flath certainly has his work cut out for him.

Each woman has a different story. Lucinda is trying to deal with childhood trauma. Greer is a career-driven woman who suddenly is desperate for a child, and is trying to work out the hows and whys. Then there is Flor
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an interesting book. It could just have easily been called Gaslight, because gaslighting is what it's all about.

You already know the synopsis - a therapist is dead, and three of his clients are suspects. He has had an inappropriate relationship with all of them. Who did it?

The Good
I did enjoy the author's use of switching points of view. I think she did a great job establishing a different voice for each character. The conflicting emotions was semi-effective in making me wonder what was
Charlotte Tomlins
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Elizabeth
Title: Confidential
Author: Ellie Monago
Genre:Adult ( Women fiction)
Pages:430
Lake Union Publishing
Pub date: Mar 5,2019
Book synopsis

Dora Okeyo
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You have a therapist who gets clients and somewhere down the line he crosses the line with three women. When he's found dead in his office and the police are called in to investigate, the lead detective thinks "Lucinda's a disaster; Flora's a manipulator; Greer's a liar," but that does not answer the question "who killed Dr. Michael Baylor?"
This story felt like a phase for me. There were some parts that were great, it started out well, I was intrigued by the pace. Somewhere in the middle, I stru
Maria S-M
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an Advanced Reader Copy. I am voluntarily leaving a review. This is a murder mystery. Michael, a psychotherapist has been found murdered and three of his female patients are persons of interest. We are given each of their stories in their POV. It is an interesting well-written story. The minute you think you know who did it, you get thrown in another direction. Lucinda, Greer and Flora are all complicated characters. Michael is possibly a sociopath. I enjoyed it.
Alyssa Smith
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley, the author, and the publisher for this ARC!

Christie Sitterly
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great whodunnit psychological thriller that will keep you guessing throughout! Author, Ellie Monago, perfectly pieces together the puzzle of a murdered therapist and three of his female clients whom he exerted much influence over. Fans of A.J. Banner and Gilly MacMillan will love this one!
Becky
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I listened to the audio version of this book and was immediately disappointed by whoever did the voice of Flora. The voice she used sounded like she had a mouthful of crap the entire time and it was cringe worthy! Totally took away from the book and definitely made it so that I didn’t connect with the character because I could hardly stand to listen to her! I realize at the end of the book that it was supposed to be a Russian accent, but that wasn’t mentioned before hand and it certainly didn’t ...more
Cristie Underwood
Perfect psychological thriller! It moved at a fast pace with twists and turns throughout! I couldn’t put it down! Highly recommend!
Jadee
Apr 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
I didn’t even finish this book. All about sex and a messed up therapist and clients. Very erotic writing and many “F” words. Poor, tasteless writing in my opinion.
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars*** Three women and a therapist. The therapist ends up dead.

Confidential by Ellie Monago centers around Dr. Michael Baylor and three of his female patients. These three women are the primary suspects when Michael is found dead in his office. Coincidentally, the three of them met for lunch the day he was killed. Who is the murderer and what are their secrets behind the confidential sessions with Michael?

Ellie Monago tells the story through the perspective of the three women/suspects/pati
Alesha Leveritt
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Exactly what was this?

I’m not entirely sure how I feel about this book. I feel a little like I just watched an episode of 48 hours where Snooki, Ariana Grande, and Glenn Close were all being treated by a therapist portrayed by Michael Douglas...

The Good: The mystery angle is interesting enough.

The Eh: The principle narrators are just so ... icky... and the supporting characters seem extraneous, like the warning tags on furniture that tell you NOT TO REMOVE them. Kate, Mom, and Chenille (?!?!? -
Jypsy
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A psychological thriller with a realistic premise. This story could have walked out of the news in today's world. It's an interesting plot with mysterious characters. I enjoyed the book.
Bruce
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Too much emotional dribble

For sure it's a matter of taste but I like stories with some grit. This is not that type if story. Found that it rambled on rehashing the same emotional self doubt for 3 very different people. Went with 2 stars because it was quick read and not 100% stupid
christine
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
First I want to say thank you to the publisher and Goodreads for the advanced copy of Confidential. While I found this to be an easy read and it kept my interest--it ultimately was anti-climatic and a semi-disappointing read.

Although the characters were very unlikable, which I feel was the intention of the author to keep us guessing about who was the murderer--I was still fascinated to learn more about each person. The storyline while very detailed was somewhat slow moving. No spoilers---when th
Diah R
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
So

Early disclaimer that I REALLY like the book up too the (lame) ending. I was ready to give it 4 stars, but the (lame) twist made me drop it to 1. But, since I enjoyed 80% of Confidential, I picked the middle way that is 2 stars.

Confidential had such a nice build up of me wanting to smack all of these women, me sympathizing with them, and me guessing whodunit. And I was rightly so: he plot was engaging, the writing was good, and all the point of views worked (although I wouldn't miss the detect
Lynn
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good thriller!

This is the story of a very tangled web of three women and one therapist, one very attractive, respected therapist. The women: Greer,a career oriented woman now longing to have a child but with no strings attached. She is falling for Dr. Baylor and is envisioning a baby with him as the father. Lucinda is struggling with an abusive childhood and an addict mother and thinks she's falling in love with Dr. Baylor. Flora who is currently having a secret affair for the past two years wi
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »